• WC 2022 Final: ARG-FRA [R]

From Real Mardin@21:1/5 to All on Wed Dec 14 14:39:51 2022
    Sunday, 3pm GMT / 4pm CET / 10am EST / 7am PST (set those alarm clocks early Pacific Coast people!)

World Cup 2022 Final, Lusail Stadium:

Argentina v France

Both have won the World Cup twice before. Argentina in 1978 and 1986, France in 1998 and 2018.

Argentina have been beaten finalists three times (1930, 1990 and 2014), France just the once in 2006.

There are three previous World Cup meetings between the two:

1930 Group Stage: Argentina 1 - France 0

1978 Group Stage: Argentina 2 - France 1

2018 Second Round: France 4 - Argentina 3

This is the 11th time the World Cup final has been played between teams from Europe and South America. South American sides won on 7 occasions, European ones on 3 occasions. However, a lot of the early South American victories came in the 50's, 60's and
    70's. If we compare the records since the 1980's, we have a 3-3 draw - Argentina beating West Germany in 1986, Brazil beating Italy in 1994, Brazil beating Germany in 2002, West Germany beating Argentina in 1990, France beating Brazil in 1998 and
    Germany beating Argentina in 2014.

Which confederation will come out on top on Sunday? Which team will get to add a third star to its badge?

RM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From anders t@21:1/5 to All on Thu Dec 15 07:33:49 2022
    Quoting Real Mardin in rec.sport.soccer:
    Sunday, 3pm GMT / 4pm CET / 10am EST / 7am PST (set those alarm clocks early Pacific Coast people!)

Argentina v France

Both have won the World Cup twice before. Argentina in 1978 and 1986, France in 1998 and 2018.

Argentina have been beaten finalists three times (1930, 1990 and 2014), France just the once in 2006.

This is the 11th time the World Cup final has been played between teams from Europe and South America. South American sides won on 7 occasions, European ones on 3 occasions. However, a lot of the early South American victories came in the 50's, 60's and
    70's. If we compare the records since the 1980's, we have a 3-3 draw - Argentina beating West Germany in 1986, Brazil beating Italy in 1994, Brazil beating Germany in 2002, West Germany beating Argentina in 1990, France beating Brazil in 1998 and

Which confederation will come out on top on Sunday? Which team will get to add a third star to its badge?

France can become the only third nation to win consecutive cups. Last time
    was 60 years ago (Brazil -58, -62).

--
    Manchester United FC - CHAMPIONS
    Latest: England '13 (20th) Europa '17, UEFA '08, World '08

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark@21:1/5 to anders t on Thu Dec 15 04:34:56 2022
    On Thursday, December 15, 2022 at 6:33:54 AM UTC, anders t wrote:

Argentina v France

This is the 11th time the World Cup final has been played between teams from Europe and South America. South American sides won on 7 occasions, European ones on 3 occasions. However, a lot of the early South American victories came in the 50's, 60's
    and 70's. If we compare the records since the 1980's, we have a 3-3 draw - Argentina beating West Germany in 1986, Brazil beating Italy in 1994, Brazil beating Germany in 2002, West Germany beating Argentina in 1990, France beating Brazil in 1998 and

Yes, but as you say, South America won the "1st leg" 4-0. Those finals are no less worth mentioning:

1978 Argentina 3 Netherlands 1 aet
    1970 Brazil 4 Italy 1
    1962 Brazil 3 Czechoslavakia 1
    1958 Sweden 2 Brazil 5

France can become the only third nation to win consecutive cups. Last time was 60 years ago (Brazil -58, -62).

Didier Deschamps can become the 2nd coach to win 2 consecutive World Cups. The first was Vitorio Pozzo, of Italy, in 1934 and 1938.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Binder Dundat@21:1/5 to anders t on Thu Dec 15 04:27:02 2022
    So we have the final that many predicted, probably more people predicted France v Brasil, but quite a few people were predicting Argentina, even if they were retracting that prediction after the first round of games. But Argentina did beat Brasil in the
    Copa final last year with mostly the same squads.

So with all this talk of what a great WC, with all the surprises, we have a final almost everyone predicted. Croatia making the semi was not really a surprise, especially since the rest of the squads in this WM were weak this time, having said that,
    Morocco were a bit of a surprise and actually did really well, shame about yesterday, but at least they tried and never gave up and with a bit more savvy, who knows?

That one quarter final day, was probably the best day of the WC, I dont know, really didnt find this an exciting WC, even with Kanada making it this time, no real good matches that I would watch again, Argies vs Dutch would be the match I would watch
    again if I had to.

So we have the dirty Frenchmen vs Messi style final. Should be France, but everyone loves Messi and hates the French, so maybe the FIFA gods will make it happen. This is the final the FIFA gods wanted. I had this discussion with my Croatian friend the
    other day while watching the semi and we were discussing would FIFA and the world want a Croatia v Morocco final? Is the WC final so big that you could have a Gibraltar v Haiti final and the world would still watch it?

On Thursday, December 15, 2022 at 1:33:54 a.m. UTC-5, anders t wrote:

Argentina v France

This is the 11th time the World Cup final has been played between teams from Europe and South America. South American sides won on 7 occasions, European ones on 3 occasions. However, a lot of the early South American victories came in the 50's, 60's
    and 70's. If we compare the records since the 1980's, we have a 3-3 draw - Argentina beating West Germany in 1986, Brazil beating Italy in 1994, Brazil beating Germany in 2002, West Germany beating Argentina in 1990, France beating Brazil in 1998 and

France can become the only third nation to win consecutive cups. Last time was 60 years ago (Brazil -58, -62).

--
    Manchester United FC - CHAMPIONS
    Latest: England '13 (20th) Europa '17, UEFA '08, World '08

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Real Mardin@21:1/5 to All on Thu Dec 15 13:59:04 2022
    So if.........and I say *if*........Argentina win on Sunday, it will be the first time a South American side has won the World Cup since 2002.

If 2002 doesn't seem all that long ago consider these facts about 2002:

* Most people (myself included) still had dial up internet.

* There was no HDTV in the UK, we watched matches in plain old standard definition (the US may have had HD).

* The iphone hadn't been invented. In fact, smartphones as we know them hadn't been invented. Nokia released the 7650, which was apparently the first smartphone, on 26th June 2002 (which coincidentally, was the day of the Brazil v Turkey semi final).
    However, it didn't look anything like a smartphone as we know it today and would have cost you 600 Euros. Come to think of it I didn't even own a mobile phone in 2002. Those who did tended to have those little Nokias that only made phone calls and sent
    text messages.

* The top grossing films in America that year were:

1) Spider Man

2) Star Wars Episode II - Attack of the Clones

3) Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

4) Signs

5) My Big Fat Greek Wedding

6) The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

7) Austin Powers in Goldmember

8) Men in Black 2

9) Ice Age

10) A Beautiful Mind

* On the week of the Brazil v Germany final the UK top 10 singles chart was:

1) A little less conversation (Elvis v JXL)

2) The Logical Song (Scooter)

3) Wherever you will go (The Calling)

4) Stop crying your heart out (Oasis)

5) Not in herre (Nelly)

6) When you look at me (Christina Milian)

7) Hero (Chad Kroeger FT Josey Scott)

8) Without me (Eminem)

9) Tell it to my heart (Kelly Llorrena)

10) Just a little (Liberty X)

And the top 10 selling albums of 2002 (UK) were:

1) Escapology (Robbie Williams)

2) Missundaztood (Pink)

3) Escape (Enrique Iglesias)

4) A rush of blood to the head (Coldplay)

5) One love (Blue)

6) By the way (Red Hot Chili Peppers)

7) The Eminem Show (Eminem)

8) Unbreakable (Westlife)

9) Elvis - 30 Number 1 Hits (Elvis Presley)

10) Heathen Chemistry (Oasis)

* The three main video game consoles were the Xbox, PlayStation 2 and GameCube. The top 10 selling video games World wide were:

1) Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (PlayStation 2)

2) 2002 FIFA World Cup (!!!) (multi platform)

3) Pokemon Ruby / Sapphire (Game Boy Advance)

4) Madden NFL 2003 (multi platform)

5) Kingdom Hearts (PlayStation 2)

6) FIFA Football 2003 (multi platform)

7) Grand Theft Auto 3 (PlayStation 2, PC)

8) Pro Evolution Soccer 2 (PlayStation and PlayStation 2)

9) Spider Man The Movie (multi platform)

10) Super Mario Sunshine (GameCube)

* Other notable video games of 2002 were Metroid Prime, The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, Tony Hawks' Pro Skater 4, Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell, Medal of Honor: Allied Assault, Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2003 and Warcraft 3: Reign of Chaos.

* George W Bush was the President of the USA and Tony Blair was the Prime Minister of the UK.

* Real Madrid beat Bayer Leverkusen 2-1 in the Champions League final at Hampden Park, Glasgow. In the UEFA Cup Final (note I said *UEFA Cup* not Europa League!) Feyenoord beat Borussia Dortmund 3-2 at De Kulp in Rotterdam.

* Club Olimpia of Paraguay defeated Sao Caetano of Brazil on penalties to win the Copa Libertadores. San Lorenzo of Argentina beat Atletico Nacional of Colombia 4-0 on aggregate to win the first Copa Sudamericana. Earlier in the year San Lorenzo also won
    the last Copa Mercosur by beating Flamengo of Brazil on penalties (that was technically the 2001 tournament but the final was delayed to 2002).

* (If the above doesn't drive home how different life in 2002 was this one will) VHS was the dominant platform for playing recorded films and tv shows, with only 31% of UK households owning a DVD player. Even in the US, which is usually ahead of the game
    in terms of technological advances, DVD rentals didn't overtake VHS ones until 2003.

RM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From HASM@21:1/5 to All on Thu Dec 15 16:12:10 2022

2002 was Annus Horribilis for me.

I had a company supplied ISDN.

I did wake up for all 2 and 5 am games. watched on a muted SD TV (I only
    got HD for the 2006 WC) on Univision, live commentary from a Spanish
    station that had Andrés Cantor, instant replay action by switching to
    the ESPN delayed broadcast, on IRC with rss people.

Those who did tended to have those little Nokias that only made phone
    calls and sent text messages.

Can confirm, I had a little Nokia.

-- HASM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Blueshirt@21:1/5 to Binder Dundat on Thu Dec 15 23:38:09 2022
    Binder Dundat wrote:

So we have the final that many predicted, probably more people
    predicted France v Brasil,

I actually predicted a Brazil v Germany Final... and even put money on
    Brazil in the bookies. (Clearly something went wrong with the Blueshirt predict-o-meter!)

I don't actually know why I thought Germany would do well. <shrugs> I
    was severely disappointed watching them.

So we have the dirty Frenchmen vs Messi style final. Should be
    France, but everyone loves Messi and hates the French,

Can't really argue with that... ;-)

Although I did get Argentina in the sweepstake at work, which made up
    for getting Slovakia last time. (Euro 2020) So fingers crossed...

Is the WC final so big that you could have a Gibraltar v Haiti final
    and the world would still watch it?

They might... but a World Cup Final on the Sunday before Christmas with
    an inch of snow outside, -5 c on the thermometer and roads like glass
    with all the ice just doesn't seem right to me no matter who is in the
    Final... so I hope FIFA don't do that again!!!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Binder Dundat@21:1/5 to Real Mardin on Thu Dec 15 18:19:36 2022
    On Thursday, December 15, 2022 at 4:59:06 p.m. UTC-5, Real Mardin wrote:
    So if.........and I say *if*........Argentina win on Sunday, it will be the first time a South American side has won the World Cup since 2002.

* There was no HDTV in the UK, we watched matches in plain old standard definition (the US may have had HD).

* The iphone hadn't been invented. In fact, smartphones as we know them hadn't been invented. Nokia released the 7650, which was apparently the first smartphone, on 26th June 2002 (which coincidentally, was the day of the Brazil v Turkey semi final).
    However, it didn't look anything like a smartphone as we know it today and would have cost you 600 Euros. Come to think of it I didn't even own a mobile phone in 2002. Those who did tended to have those little Nokias that only made phone calls and sent
    text messages.

* The top grossing films in America that year were:

1) Spider Man

2) Star Wars Episode II - Attack of the Clones

3) Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

4) Signs

5) My Big Fat Greek Wedding

6) The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

7) Austin Powers in Goldmember

8) Men in Black 2

9) Ice Age

10) A Beautiful Mind

* On the week of the Brazil v Germany final the UK top 10 singles chart was:

1) A little less conversation (Elvis v JXL)

really????? elvis!!!! the world must have been a better place.

2) The Logical Song (Scooter)

3) Wherever you will go (The Calling)

4) Stop crying your heart out (Oasis)

5) Not in herre (Nelly)

6) When you look at me (Christina Milian)

7) Hero (Chad Kroeger FT Josey Scott)

8) Without me (Eminem)

9) Tell it to my heart (Kelly Llorrena)

10) Just a little (Liberty X)

And the top 10 selling albums of 2002 (UK) were:

1) Escapology (Robbie Williams)

2) Missundaztood (Pink)

3) Escape (Enrique Iglesias)

4) A rush of blood to the head (Coldplay)

5) One love (Blue)

6) By the way (Red Hot Chili Peppers)

7) The Eminem Show (Eminem)

8) Unbreakable (Westlife)

9) Elvis - 30 Number 1 Hits (Elvis Presley)

10) Heathen Chemistry (Oasis)

* The three main video game consoles were the Xbox, PlayStation 2 and GameCube. The top 10 selling video games World wide were:

1) Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (PlayStation 2)

2) 2002 FIFA World Cup (!!!) (multi platform)

3) Pokemon Ruby / Sapphire (Game Boy Advance)

4) Madden NFL 2003 (multi platform)

5) Kingdom Hearts (PlayStation 2)

6) FIFA Football 2003 (multi platform)

7) Grand Theft Auto 3 (PlayStation 2, PC)

8) Pro Evolution Soccer 2 (PlayStation and PlayStation 2)

9) Spider Man The Movie (multi platform)

10) Super Mario Sunshine (GameCube)

* Other notable video games of 2002 were Metroid Prime, The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, Tony Hawks' Pro Skater 4, Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell, Medal of Honor: Allied Assault, Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2003 and Warcraft 3: Reign of Chaos.

* George W Bush was the President of the USA and Tony Blair was the Prime Minister of the UK.

* Real Madrid beat Bayer Leverkusen 2-1 in the Champions League final at Hampden Park, Glasgow. In the UEFA Cup Final (note I said *UEFA Cup* not Europa League!) Feyenoord beat Borussia Dortmund 3-2 at De Kulp in Rotterdam.

* Club Olimpia of Paraguay defeated Sao Caetano of Brazil on penalties to win the Copa Libertadores. San Lorenzo of Argentina beat Atletico Nacional of Colombia 4-0 on aggregate to win the first Copa Sudamericana. Earlier in the year San Lorenzo also
    won the last Copa Mercosur by beating Flamengo of Brazil on penalties (that was technically the 2001 tournament but the final was delayed to 2002).

* (If the above doesn't drive home how different life in 2002 was this one will) VHS was the dominant platform for playing recorded films and tv shows, with only 31% of UK households owning a DVD player. Even in the US, which is usually ahead of the
    game in terms of technological advances, DVD rentals didn't overtake VHS ones until 2003.

RM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark@21:1/5 to Blueshirt on Fri Dec 16 03:46:43 2022
    On Thursday, December 15, 2022 at 11:38:11 PM UTC, Blueshirt wrote:
    Binder Dundat wrote:

So we have the final that many predicted, probably more people
    predicted France v Brasil,
    I actually predicted a Brazil v Germany Final... and even put money on
    Brazil in the bookies. (Clearly something went wrong with the Blueshirt predict-o-meter!)

I don't actually know why I thought Germany would do well. <shrugs> I
    was severely disappointed watching them.

Maybe it was something to do with the fact that I predicted Argentina would beat Italy 2-0 in the final, just like I did in 2002, and Brazil beat Germany in the final in 2002.

Talking of which, this is the Champions of South America against the World Champions. My prediction was the South American Champions beating the European Champions 2-0 in the final; they're playing against the World Champions instead.

So we have the dirty Frenchmen vs Messi style final. Should be
    France, but everyone loves Messi and hates the French,
    Can't really argue with that... ;-)

Although I did get Argentina in the sweepstake at work, which made up
    for getting Slovakia last time. (Euro 2020) So fingers crossed...
    Is the WC final so big that you could have a Gibraltar v Haiti final
    and the world would still watch it?
    They might... but a World Cup Final on the Sunday before Christmas with
    an inch of snow outside, -5 c on the thermometer and roads like glass
    with all the ice just doesn't seem right to me no matter who is in the Final... so I hope FIFA don't do that again!!!

I can't see a problem with a World Cup in winter myself. In other years, the World Cup is in the winter and in the middle of the season for a lot of countries in South America etc. What's the relevant difference?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Blueshirt@21:1/5 to Mark on Fri Dec 16 13:31:37 2022
    Mark wrote:

On Thursday, December 15, 2022 at 11:38:11 PM UTC, Blueshirt wrote:
    They might... but a World Cup Final on the Sunday before Christmas
    with an inch of snow outside, -5 c on the thermometer and roads
    like glass with all the ice just doesn't seem right to me no matter
    who is in the Final... so I hope FIFA don't do that again!!!

I can't see a problem with a World Cup in winter myself. In other
    years, the World Cup is in the winter and in the middle of the season
    for a lot of countries in South America etc. What's the relevant
    difference?

The difference is I don't live in the Southern Hemisphere so I don't
    have to worry about it! Up here a World Cup with snow is most certainly
    not normal!!!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Futbolmetrix@21:1/5 to Blueshirt on Fri Dec 16 05:54:00 2022
    On Friday, December 16, 2022 at 8:31:39 AM UTC-5, Blueshirt wrote:

have to worry about it! Up here a World Cup with snow is most certainly
    not normal!!!

As a consumer of the WC mostly on TV/computer screen (and not in public spaces), to me it didn't make much of a difference. But I have to say that in the US, the 4-games a day marathon during the long Thanksgiving weekend ... I wouldn't mind having that
    again!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jesus Petry@21:1/5 to All on Fri Dec 16 08:19:48 2022
    Em sexta-feira, 16 de dezembro de 2022 às 10:54:02 UTC-3, Futbolmetrix escreveu:

have to worry about it! Up here a World Cup with snow is most certainly not normal!!!
    As a consumer of the WC mostly on TV/computer screen (and not in public spaces), to me it didn't make much of a difference. But I have to say that in the US, the 4-games a day marathon during the long Thanksgiving weekend ... I wouldn't mind having
    that again!

Yes, 4 games a day was very cool! Keep it up! And one more cool thing from Infantino:

https://www.rte.ie/sport/world-cup-2022/2022/1216/1342239-fifa-to-reexamine-four-team-groups-for-2026-world-cup/

Tchau!
    Jesus Petry

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Blueshirt@21:1/5 to Jesus Petry on Fri Dec 16 19:53:24 2022
    Jesus Petry wrote:

Em sexta-feira, 16 de dezembro de 2022 às 10:54:02 UTC-3,
    Futbolmetrix escreveu:

The difference is I don't live in the Southern Hemisphere so I
    don't have to worry about it! Up here a World Cup with snow is
    most certainly not normal!!!
    As a consumer of the WC mostly on TV/computer screen (and not in
    public spaces), to me it didn't make much of a difference. But I
    have to say that in the US, the 4-games a day marathon during the
    long Thanksgiving weekend ... I wouldn't mind having that again!

Yes, 4 games a day was very cool! Keep it up! And one more cool
    thing from Infantino:

https://www.rte.ie/sport/world-cup-2022/2022/1216/1342239-fifa-to-reexamine-four-team-groups-for-2026-world-cup/

Tchau!
    Jesus Petry

Much better than three-team groups for sure. If it ain't broke...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Blueshirt@21:1/5 to Futbolmetrix on Fri Dec 16 19:53:23 2022
    Futbolmetrix wrote:

don't have to worry about it! Up here a World Cup with snow is most certainly not normal!!!

public spaces), to me it didn't make much of a difference. But I have
    to say that in the US, the 4-games a day marathon during the long Thanksgiving weekend ...

I wouldn't mind having that again!

Address all correspondence to giannniinfantino@fifa.com ... I'm sure
    he'll try his best to accommodate you! :-)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From DK@21:1/5 to Futbolmetrix on Sat Dec 17 00:57:57 2022
    In article <056ae21d-fc03-47a1-8dcd-bc717942d8e1n@googlegroups.com>, Futbolmetrix <daniele.paserman@gmail.com> wrote:

As a consumer of the WC mostly on TV/computer screen (and not in public spaces),
    to me it didn't make much of a difference. But I have to say that in the US, the 4-games
    a day marathon during the long Thanksgiving weekend ... I wouldn't mind having that again!

Cue in American professors working too hard for the money.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Real Mardin@21:1/5 to Blueshirt on Sat Dec 17 11:03:06 2022
    On Friday, December 16, 2022 at 7:53:27 PM UTC, Blueshirt wrote:
    Jesus Petry wrote:

Futbolmetrix escreveu:

thing from Infantino:

Tchau!
    Jesus Petry

I collect Subbuteo. I’ve ordered a number of teams recently, but one arrived today that made me think. It could have been any one of a number of teams........

It was France - World Cup squad....

Is this an omen I wonder......?

RM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Real Mardin@21:1/5 to Real Mardin on Sun Dec 18 04:11:19 2022
    On Saturday, December 17, 2022 at 7:03:08 PM UTC, Real Mardin wrote:
    Jesus Petry wrote:

Futbolmetrix escreveu:

As a consumer of the WC mostly on TV/computer screen (and not in public spaces), to me it didn't make much of a difference. But I

thing from Infantino:

Tchau!
    Jesus Petry
    I collect Subbuteo. I’ve ordered a number of teams recently, but one arrived today that made me think. It could have been any one of a number of teams........

RM

It’s World Cup final day!

To be honest the final is usually a poor game, will today be the exception?

Heard some interesting analysis today likening the French team to a republic and Argentina to a monarchy. France does seem to have more quality throughout the team and can win games even when Mbappé doesn’t play well. I get the feeling if France
    stifle “King Messi” then the only credible way Argentina might win is penalties?

One possible game changer - rumours of some sort of virus in the French camp?

RM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark@21:1/5 to Real Mardin on Sun Dec 18 05:20:24 2022
    On Sunday, December 18, 2022 at 12:11:21 PM UTC, Real Mardin wrote:
    Jesus Petry wrote:

Em sexta-feira, 16 de dezembro de 2022 às 10:54:02 UTC-3, Futbolmetrix escreveu:

The difference is I don't live in the Southern Hemisphere so I don't have to worry about it! Up here a World Cup with snow is most certainly not normal!!!
    As a consumer of the WC mostly on TV/computer screen (and not in public spaces), to me it didn't make much of a difference. But I have to say that in the US, the 4-games a day marathon during the long Thanksgiving weekend ... I wouldn't mind having that again!

thing from Infantino:

Tchau!
    Jesus Petry

RM

Heard some interesting analysis today likening the French team to a republic and Argentina to a monarchy. France does seem to have more quality throughout the team and can win games even when Mbappé doesn’t play well. I get the feeling if France
    stifle “King Messi” then the only credible way Argentina might win is penalties?

RM

1998 all over again, but Kylian Mbappe being the one who's ill and either doesn't play or plays very badly, and Argentina get a win by a 3 goal margin.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Binder Dundat@21:1/5 to Binder Dundat on Sun Dec 18 06:02:06 2022
    On Sunday, December 18, 2022 at 8:59:52 a.m. UTC-5, Binder Dundat wrote:
    On Sunday, December 18, 2022 at 8:20:26 a.m. UTC-5, Mark wrote:
    Jesus Petry wrote:

The difference is I don't live in the Southern Hemisphere so I don't have to worry about it! Up here a World Cup with snow is most certainly not normal!!!
    As a consumer of the WC mostly on TV/computer screen (and not in public spaces), to me it didn't make much of a difference. But I have to say that in the US, the 4-games a day marathon during the

Yes, 4 games a day was very cool! Keep it up! And one more cool thing from Infantino:

Tchau!
    Jesus Petry

RM

RM
    1998 all over again, but Kylian Mbappe being the one who's ill and either doesn't play or plays very badly, and Argentina get a win by a 3 goal margin.
    Mbappe and Upamecano and Rabiot and all the others are in the starting lineup, so maybe the virus rumours were slightly exaggerated.

Argentinien
    E. Martinez - Molina, Romero, Otamendi, Tagliafico - de Paul, E. Fernandez, di Maria, Mac Allister - Messi, Alvarez

Frankreich
    Lloris - Koundé, Varane, Upamecano, Theo - Tchouameni, Griezmann, Rabiot - Dembelé, Giroud, Mbappé

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Binder Dundat@21:1/5 to Mark on Sun Dec 18 05:59:50 2022
    Jesus Petry wrote:

As a consumer of the WC mostly on TV/computer screen (and not in public spaces), to me it didn't make much of a difference. But I have to say that in the US, the 4-games a day marathon during the long Thanksgiving weekend ... I wouldn't mind having that again!

Tchau!
    Jesus Petry

RM

RM

Mbappe and Upamecano and Rabiot and all the others are in the starting lineup, so maybe the virus rumours were slightly exaggerated.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From MH@21:1/5 to Werner Pichler on Sun Dec 18 09:02:09 2022
    On 2022-12-18 08:43, Werner Pichler wrote:
    On Sunday, December 18, 2022 at 4:29:24 PM UTC+1, Werner Pichler wrote:
    On Sunday, December 18, 2022 at 3:02:08 PM UTC+1, Binder Dundat wrote:
    On Sunday, December 18, 2022 at 8:59:52 a.m. UTC-5, Binder Dundat wrote: >>>> On Sunday, December 18, 2022 at 8:20:26 a.m. UTC-5, Mark wrote:
    On Sunday, December 18, 2022 at 12:11:21 PM UTC, Real Mardin wrote: >>>>>> On Saturday, December 17, 2022 at 7:03:08 PM UTC, Real Mardin wrote: >>>>>>> On Friday, December 16, 2022 at 7:53:27 PM UTC, Blueshirt wrote: >>>>>>>> Jesus Petry wrote:

Futbolmetrix escreveu:
    On Friday, December 16, 2022 at 8:31:39 AM UTC-5, Blueshirt wrote: >>>>>>>>>>
    The difference is I don't live in the Southern Hemisphere so I >>>>>>>>>>> don't have to worry about it! Up here a World Cup with snow is >>>>>>>>>>> most certainly not normal!!!
    As a consumer of the WC mostly on TV/computer screen (and not in >>>>>>>>>> public spaces), to me it didn't make much of a difference. But I >>>>>>>>>> have to say that in the US, the 4-games a day marathon during the >>>>>>>>>> long Thanksgiving weekend ... I wouldn't mind having that again! >>>>>>>>>
    Yes, 4 games a day was very cool! Keep it up! And one more cool >>>>>>>>> thing from Infantino:

Tchau!
    Jesus Petry
    Much better than three-team groups for sure. If it ain't broke... >>>>>>> I collect Subbuteo. I’ve ordered a number of teams recently, but one arrived today that made me think. It could have been any one of a number of teams........

RM

Heard some interesting analysis today likening the French team to a republic and Argentina to a monarchy. France does seem to have more quality throughout the team and can win games even when Mbappé doesn’t play well. I get the feeling if
    France stifle “King Messi” then the only credible way Argentina might win is penalties?

RM
    Argentinien
    E. Martinez - Molina, Romero, Otamendi, Tagliafico - de Paul, E. Fernandez, di Maria, Mac Allister - Messi, Alvarez

Frankreich
    Lloris - Koundé, Varane, Upamecano, Theo - Tchouameni, Griezmann, Rabiot - Dembelé, Giroud, Mbappé
    A couple of people here will just love this penalty call.

All I'll say is that Di María was looking for that one, and Dembélé obligingly helped with the search.

Two non-injury subs before halftime, in a World Cup final. Gutsy move by Deschamps, but probably necessary.

Except he may have replaced the wrong people. Mbappe and Hernandez have
    not been great. Dembele , yeah, he was having issues, but Koundé was
    not strong either.

As for the Penalty, seemed very soft to me, but surprisingly they did
    not show a lot of replays on TV. I half expected VAR to overturn it.

Second goal was good.

Is this the world cup of the old Fogeys ? I was thinking that even
    before it began, noting how many players over 33 were in the various
    lineups. A lot more than 20 years ago as a percent. And there are so
    many stories about the older generation (Atiba, Modric, C.
    Ronaldo,Giroud ) before we even get to this final where di MAria and
    Messi have been exceptional so far.

Ciao,
    Werner

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Werner Pichler@21:1/5 to Binder Dundat on Sun Dec 18 07:29:21 2022
    Jesus Petry wrote:

Tchau!
    Jesus Petry

RM

Heard some interesting analysis today likening the French team to a republic and Argentina to a monarchy. France does seem to have more quality throughout the team and can win games even when Mbappé doesn’t play well. I get the feeling if
    France stifle “King Messi” then the only credible way Argentina might win is penalties?

RM
    Argentinien

Frankreich

All I'll say is that Di María was looking for that one, and Dembélé obligingly helped with the search.

Ciao,
    Werner

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Binder Dundat@21:1/5 to Werner Pichler on Sun Dec 18 07:57:09 2022
    Game... over?

France have not done anything yet, but they have a half to remedy that. This has been more than just a Messi style game, it has been a complete Argie style and yes, soft penal.

On Sunday, December 18, 2022 at 10:43:06 a.m. UTC-5, Werner Pichler wrote:
    Jesus Petry wrote:

thing from Infantino:

Tchau!
    Jesus Petry

RM

RM
    Argentinien

Frankreich

Two non-injury subs before halftime, in a World Cup final. Gutsy move by Deschamps, but probably necessary.

Ciao,
    Werner

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Werner Pichler@21:1/5 to Werner Pichler on Sun Dec 18 07:43:04 2022
    Jesus Petry wrote:

thing from Infantino:

Tchau!
    Jesus Petry

RM

RM
    Argentinien

Frankreich

Ciao,
    Werner

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Real Mardin@21:1/5 to All on Sun Dec 18 08:41:33 2022
    On Sunday, December 18, 2022 at 4:02:12 PM UTC, MH wrote:
    On Sunday, December 18, 2022 at 3:02:08 PM UTC+1, Binder Dundat wrote: >>> On Sunday, December 18, 2022 at 8:59:52 a.m. UTC-5, Binder Dundat wrote: >>>> On Sunday, December 18, 2022 at 8:20:26 a.m. UTC-5, Mark wrote:
    On Sunday, December 18, 2022 at 12:11:21 PM UTC, Real Mardin wrote: >>>>>> On Saturday, December 17, 2022 at 7:03:08 PM UTC, Real Mardin wrote: >>>>>>> On Friday, December 16, 2022 at 7:53:27 PM UTC, Blueshirt wrote: >>>>>>>> Jesus Petry wrote:

Em sexta-feira, 16 de dezembro de 2022 às 10:54:02 UTC-3, >>>>>>>>> Futbolmetrix escreveu:

The difference is I don't live in the Southern Hemisphere so I >>>>>>>>>>> don't have to worry about it! Up here a World Cup with snow is >>>>>>>>>>> most certainly not normal!!!
    As a consumer of the WC mostly on TV/computer screen (and not in >>>>>>>>>> public spaces), to me it didn't make much of a difference. But I >>>>>>>>>> have to say that in the US, the 4-games a day marathon during the >>>>>>>>>> long Thanksgiving weekend ... I wouldn't mind having that again! >>>>>>>>>
    Yes, 4 games a day was very cool! Keep it up! And one more cool >>>>>>>>> thing from Infantino:

Tchau!
    Jesus Petry
    Much better than three-team groups for sure. If it ain't broke... >>>>>>> I collect Subbuteo. I’ve ordered a number of teams recently, but one arrived today that made me think. It could have been any one of a number of teams........

RM

RM
    Argentinien

Frankreich

Except he may have replaced the wrong people. Mbappe and Hernandez have
    not been great. Dembele , yeah, he was having issues, but Koundé was
    not strong either.

Second goal was good.

before it began, noting how many players over 33 were in the various lineups. A lot more than 20 years ago as a percent. And there are so

Ciao,
    Werner

I’m following that great Christmas tradition of watching a completely one sided World Cup final while drinking Baileys.

RM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Werner Pichler@21:1/5 to Real Mardin on Sun Dec 18 08:45:48 2022
    On Sunday, December 18, 2022 at 5:41:34 PM UTC+1, Real Mardin wrote:
    On Sunday, December 18, 2022 at 3:02:08 PM UTC+1, Binder Dundat wrote: >>> On Sunday, December 18, 2022 at 8:59:52 a.m. UTC-5, Binder Dundat wrote:
    On Sunday, December 18, 2022 at 12:11:21 PM UTC, Real Mardin wrote: >>>>>> On Saturday, December 17, 2022 at 7:03:08 PM UTC, Real Mardin wrote:
    On Friday, December 16, 2022 at 7:53:27 PM UTC, Blueshirt wrote: >>>>>>>> Jesus Petry wrote:

Em sexta-feira, 16 de dezembro de 2022 às 10:54:02 UTC-3, >>>>>>>>> Futbolmetrix escreveu:

Tchau!
    Jesus Petry

RM

RM
    Argentinien

Frankreich

Except he may have replaced the wrong people. Mbappe and Hernandez have not been great. Dembele , yeah, he was having issues, but Koundé was
    not strong either.

Second goal was good.

before it began, noting how many players over 33 were in the various lineups. A lot more than 20 years ago as a percent. And there are so

I’m following that great Christmas tradition of watching a completely one sided World Cup final while drinking Baileys.

That comment aged like old cream liqueur!

Ciao,
    Werner

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Real Mardin@21:1/5 to Werner Pichler on Sun Dec 18 08:58:09 2022
    On Sunday, December 18, 2022 at 4:45:50 PM UTC, Werner Pichler wrote:
    On Sunday, December 18, 2022 at 5:41:34 PM UTC+1, Real Mardin wrote:
    On Sunday, December 18, 2022 at 8:20:26 a.m. UTC-5, Mark wrote: >>>>> On Sunday, December 18, 2022 at 12:11:21 PM UTC, Real Mardin wrote:
    On Friday, December 16, 2022 at 7:53:27 PM UTC, Blueshirt wrote: >>>>>>>> Jesus Petry wrote:

thing from Infantino:

Tchau!
    Jesus Petry

RM

RM
    Argentinien

Frankreich

Except he may have replaced the wrong people. Mbappe and Hernandez have not been great. Dembele , yeah, he was having issues, but Koundé was not strong either.

As for the Penalty, seemed very soft to me, but surprisingly they did not show a lot of replays on TV. I half expected VAR to overturn it.

Second goal was good.

Is this the world cup of the old Fogeys ? I was thinking that even before it began, noting how many players over 33 were in the various lineups. A lot more than 20 years ago as a percent. And there are so many stories about the older generation (Atiba, Modric, C. Ronaldo,Giroud ) before we even get to this final where di MAria and Messi have been exceptional so far.

That comment aged like old cream liqueur!

LOL

I sort of Weaufauxedv(sp?) it.

RM
    Ciao,
    Werner

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Real Mardin@21:1/5 to Real Mardin on Sun Dec 18 08:46:20 2022
    On Sunday, December 18, 2022 at 4:41:34 PM UTC, Real Mardin wrote:
    On Sunday, December 18, 2022 at 3:02:08 PM UTC+1, Binder Dundat wrote: >>> On Sunday, December 18, 2022 at 8:59:52 a.m. UTC-5, Binder Dundat wrote:
    On Sunday, December 18, 2022 at 12:11:21 PM UTC, Real Mardin wrote: >>>>>> On Saturday, December 17, 2022 at 7:03:08 PM UTC, Real Mardin wrote:

Tchau!
    Jesus Petry

RM

RM
    Argentinien

Frankreich

Except he may have replaced the wrong people. Mbappe and Hernandez have not been great. Dembele , yeah, he was having issues, but Koundé was
    not strong either.

Second goal was good.

Ciao,
    Werner

RM

Spoke to soon! Clumsy penalty given away by Otamendi, Mbappé converts for 2-1, quick passing move by France sets Mbappé up for a great finish, 2-2! Two goals in two minutes?

RM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From MH@21:1/5 to Werner Pichler on Sun Dec 18 11:00:32 2022
    On 2022-12-18 10:55, Werner Pichler wrote:

Argentinien

Frankreich

All I'll now say is 'phew'.

great final, some good goals, but a bit too bad it had to go to pens
    (and that three goals were penalties, deserved or not)

If this had been decided by either Kolo-Muani's late chance or Lautaro Martinez's header, it would surely have gone down as one of the
    greatest, if not the greatest, finals of all time.

Ciao,
    Werner

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Binder Dundat@21:1/5 to All on Sun Dec 18 10:05:49 2022
    Incroyable!
    Credit to the Argies, was probably the best final game I have ever seen.

On Sunday, December 18, 2022 at 1:00:35 p.m. UTC-5, MH wrote:
    On Sunday, December 18, 2022 at 3:02:08 PM UTC+1, Binder Dundat wrote: >>>
    Argentinien

Frankreich

great final, some good goals, but a bit too bad it had to go to pens
    (and that three goals were penalties, deserved or not)

If this had been decided by either Kolo-Muani's late chance or Lautaro Martinez's header, it would surely have gone down as one of the
    greatest, if not the greatest, finals of all time.

Ciao,
    Werner

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Werner Pichler@21:1/5 to Werner Pichler on Sun Dec 18 09:55:55 2022

Argentinien

Frankreich

Ciao,
    Werner

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Real Mardin@21:1/5 to Werner Pichler on Sun Dec 18 10:04:04 2022
    On Sunday, December 18, 2022 at 5:55:57 PM UTC, Werner Pichler wrote:

Argentinien

Frankreich

Ciao,
    Werner

Argentina Campeonas del Mundo!

FT: 2-2, Extra time 3-3, Argentina win on penalties.

Argentina gana el special de la Copa Del Mundo de Navidad en el desierto!

The worst World Cup ever has produced the best final ever!

RM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From ixion martin - GdBx@21:1/5 to All on Sun Dec 18 19:06:27 2022
    Aprs mre rflexion, MH a crit :
    On Sunday, December 18, 2022 at 4:29:24 PM UTC+1, Werner
    Pichler wrote:
    On Sunday, December 18, 2022 at 3:02:08 PM UTC+1, Binder
    Dundat wrote:

Argentinien
    E. Martinez - Molina, Romero, Otamendi, Tagliafico - de
    Paul, E. Fernandez, di Maria, Mac Allister - Messi,
    Alvarez

Frankreich
    Lloris - Kound, Varane, Upamecano, Theo - Tchouameni,
    Griezmann, Rabiot - Dembel, Giroud, Mbapp

All I'll say is that Di Mara was looking for that one,
    and Dembl obligingly helped with the search.

great final, some good goals, but a bit too bad it had to go
    to pens (and that three goals were penalties, deserved or
    not)

If this had been decided by either Kolo-Muani's late chance
    or Lautaro Martinez's header, it would surely have gone down
    as one of the greatest, if not the greatest, finals of all
    time.

What is the problem ? FIFA is happy, Messi's fan are happy, all
    the world except (a part of) France (and maybe Brazil) is
    happy. Why worry for a non late goal ?

Argentina becomes the most undeserved winner since... Argentina
    in 1978 but who cares ? It is a minor detail.

--
    Ixion

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From FF@21:1/5 to All on Sun Dec 18 10:13:19 2022
    Argentina gets it in the end. I would have bet that France win the PKs. :) But this time it didn't happen.
    Crazy game.
    Great second goal of the argies, perfect quick counter. Goal of the tournament I think, at least from what I've seen.

There should have been another 2 or 3 PKs, at both ends, but whatever. The refereeing has been disappointing. Much more to be done to improve the video ref.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From FF@21:1/5 to ixion martin - GdBx on Sun Dec 18 10:14:48 2022
    On Sunday, December 18, 2022 at 8:06:29 PM UTC+2, ixion martin - GdBx wrote:
    Après mûre réflexion, MH a écrit :
    On Sunday, December 18, 2022 at 4:29:24 PM UTC+1, Werner
    Pichler wrote:
    On Sunday, December 18, 2022 at 3:02:08 PM UTC+1, Binder
    Dundat wrote:

Argentinien
    E. Martinez - Molina, Romero, Otamendi, Tagliafico - de
    Paul, E. Fernandez, di Maria, Mac Allister - Messi,
    Alvarez

Frankreich
    Lloris - Koundé, Varane, Upamecano, Theo - Tchouameni,
    Griezmann, Rabiot - Dembelé, Giroud, Mbappé

All I'll say is that Di María was looking for that one,
    and Dembélé obligingly helped with the search.

great final, some good goals, but a bit too bad it had to go
    to pens (and that three goals were penalties, deserved or
    not)

If this had been decided by either Kolo-Muani's late chance
    or Lautaro Martinez's header, it would surely have gone down
    as one of the greatest, if not the greatest, finals of all
    time.
    What is the problem ? FIFA is happy, Messi's fan are happy, all
    the world except (a part of) France (and maybe Brazil) is
    happy. Why worry for a non late goal ?

--
    Ixion

Sour grapes.
    In the end you're just a french homer.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From FF@21:1/5 to ixion martin - GdBx on Sun Dec 18 10:26:11 2022
    On Sunday, December 18, 2022 at 8:21:52 PM UTC+2, ixion martin - GdBx wrote:
    FF avait prétendu :
    Argentina gets it in the end. I would have bet that France
    win the PKs. :) But this time it didn't happen.
    Fucking idiot and fucking ignorant : that almost NEVER happen.

I can understand that you're in a bad mood, but you're going too far. Calm down. You're going to regret it.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From ixion martin - GdBx@21:1/5 to All on Sun Dec 18 19:21:51 2022
    FF avait prtendu :

Fucking idiot and fucking ignorant : that almost NEVER happen.

--
    Ixion

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From ixion martin - GdBx@21:1/5 to All on Sun Dec 18 19:32:48 2022
    Le 18/12/2022, FF a suppos :
    On Sunday, December 18, 2022 at 8:21:52 PM UTC+2, ixion
    martin - GdBx wrote:
    FF avait prtendu :

Fucking idiot and fucking ignorant : that almost NEVER
    happen.

I can understand that you're in a bad mood, but you're going
    too far. Calm down. You're going to regret it.

I go too far ? Did you not first begin insulting me ?
    And what would I regret it ? You are going to come to my home
    to knock me ?

Most of people here consider me as the village idiot. I do not
    risk worse a lot.

--
    Ixion

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From DK@21:1/5 to pronosfrsf@free.fr on Sun Dec 18 18:52:09 2022
    In article <639f56a3$0$3098$426a74cc@news.free.fr>, pronosfrsf@free.fr wrote:

I wanted France to win but come on! Argentina fully deserved it:

- Thoroughly dominated France for 65 minutes.
    - France was always trailing.
    - 2 out of 3 French goals were PKs.
    - Martinez is obviously better than Lloris on penalties.

It's too bad that Dutch didn't eliminate Argies though.

DK

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From ixion martin - GdBx@21:1/5 to All on Sun Dec 18 20:33:26 2022
    DK vient de nous annoncer :
    In article <639f56a3$0$3098$426a74cc@news.free.fr>,
    pronosfrsf@free.fr wrote:

Argentina becomes the most undeserved winner since...
    Argentina in 1978 but who cares ? It is a minor detail.

I wanted France to win but come on! Argentina fully deserved
    it:

Maybe but the world cup is not only the final.
    I never said we deserved more.
    But there is a disgusting smell of something planned : Messi
    had to be world champion at least once.

--
    Ixion

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Blueshirt@21:1/5 to Real Mardin on Sun Dec 18 20:41:38 2022
    Real Mardin wrote:

I thought it was a great World Cup... with some really good games, even
    at the end of the group stages.

No drunken fighting in the bars and on the streets when England got
    knocked out was probably a bonus that Qatar appreciated too.

The Final was a classic. Maybe one of the best that I've ever seen.

So I have to say that I actually enjoyed Qatar 2022... plus I won the
    work sweepstake with Argentina as a nice bonus! ;-)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Blueshirt@21:1/5 to ixion martin - GdBx on Sun Dec 18 20:35:27 2022
    ixion martin - GdBx wrote:

But there is a disgusting smell of something planned : Messi had to
    be world champion at least once.

If Kolo Muani had scored when he was through on goal late in extra-time
    it wouldn't matter what was planned... and Messi wouldn't have been a
    world champion!!!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From FF@21:1/5 to Blueshirt on Sun Dec 18 14:36:43 2022
    On Sunday, December 18, 2022 at 10:35:30 PM UTC+2, Blueshirt wrote:
    But there is a disgusting smell of something planned : Messi had to
    be world champion at least once.
    If Kolo Muani had scored when he was through on goal late in extra-time
    it wouldn't matter what was planned... and Messi wouldn't have been a
    world champion!!!

Talking conspiracies, I'll tell you my version. :) As I said, as long as they don't share all video evidence of all controversial decisions, easily accessible on the FIFA site, I can't help but suspect them.

The thing is, the final doesn't have to be rigged. If somebody knows in advance that it will be Arg. vs. France, they still can make a lot of money, even without knowing who will win. And I'm sorry to say but this is completely consistent with what I've
    seen.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Werner Pichler@21:1/5 to ixion martin - GdBx on Sun Dec 18 14:34:11 2022
    On Sunday, December 18, 2022 at 8:33:28 PM UTC+1, ixion martin - GdBx wrote:
    DK vient de nous annoncer :
    In article <639f56a3$0$3098$426a...@news.free.fr>,
    prono...@free.fr wrote:

Argentina becomes the most undeserved winner since...
    Argentina in 1978 but who cares ? It is a minor detail.

I wanted France to win but come on! Argentina fully deserved
    it:

So don't leave us hanging! Who would have been the most deserving World Cup winner?
    The Netherlands? Australia? Saudi-Arabia?

Obviously not France, you said it yourself. https://twitter.com/OptaJoe/status/1604506389174517763

Ciao,
    Werner

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Real Mardin@21:1/5 to All on Sun Dec 18 14:39:16 2022
    So I'm going to put this one out there: given that we're all waxing lyrical about today's brilliant final and some are heralding Morocco's semi final place as the best thing to happen to the World Cup in a long time and others still think Qatar 2022 was
    a great tournament.....................

..................is it fair to say sportswashing works?

RM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From ixion martin - GdBx@21:1/5 to All on Sun Dec 18 23:44:59 2022
    Werner Pichler a prsent l'nonc suivant :

So don't leave us hanging! Who would have been the most
    deserving World Cup winner? The Netherlands?

Why not ? Brazil, too.
    At least a team which not received a fake penalty a game and
    escaped too many times to red card to be honnest.

--
    Ixion

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From ixion martin - GdBx@21:1/5 to All on Sun Dec 18 23:47:49 2022
    Blueshirt a expos le 18/12/2022 :

If Kolo Muani had scored when he was through on goal late in
    extra-time it wouldn't matter what was planned... and Messi
    wouldn't have been a world champion!!!

If... If... If...
    But argentinian dubious penalties are not "if...". I predicted
    them before every game.

If you do not see any problem with a team starting with one
    goal more than the opponents, I do.

After all, FIFA can change a result after the final wisthle so
    why not ?

--
    Ixion

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From FF@21:1/5 to All on Sun Dec 18 14:48:37 2022
    Anyway, Messi has got his final and much desired trophy. Conspiracies aside, I'm happy for him, nobody can say he didn't deserve it. Also for what he showed at this Cup. (If I'm not mistaken, he scored 5 penalties out of 5. That's something.)
    This is the first world champion from outside of Europe since Brazil 2002.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Werner Pichler@21:1/5 to ixion martin - GdBx on Sun Dec 18 14:51:09 2022
    On Sunday, December 18, 2022 at 11:47:51 PM UTC+1, ixion martin - GdBx wrote:
    Blueshirt a exposé le 18/12/2022 :

If... If... If...
    them before every game.

Did you predict two penalties for France as well? Two penalties were a big problem for you, when England got them.

Ciao,
    Werner

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Real Mardin@21:1/5 to All on Sun Dec 18 15:08:33 2022
    On Sunday, December 18, 2022 at 10:48:39 PM UTC, FF wrote:
    Anyway, Messi has got his final and much desired trophy. Conspiracies aside, I'm happy for him, nobody can say he didn't deserve it. Also for what he showed at this Cup. (If I'm not mistaken, he scored 5 penalties out of 5.

He missed one against Poland (well, the Polish keeper saved if we're being specific) but I agree, a thoroughly deserved World Cup win for Messi.

RM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Werner Pichler@21:1/5 to ixion martin - GdBx on Sun Dec 18 16:13:38 2022
    On Monday, December 19, 2022 at 1:06:19 AM UTC+1, ixion martin - GdBx wrote:
    Werner Pichler a exposé le 18/12/2022 :
    On Sunday, December 18, 2022 at 11:47:51 PM UTC+1, ixion
    martin - GdBx wrote:

But there is a disgusting smell of something planned :
    Messi had to be world champion at least once.

If Kolo Muani had scored when he was through on goal late
    in extra-time it wouldn't matter what was planned... and
    Messi wouldn't have been a world champion!!!

If... If... If...
    But argentinian dubious penalties are not "if...". I
    predicted them before every game.

Did you predict two penalties for France as well?

No, and ? Are they discutable penalties ?

Wait, is that a criterion? I thought all we had to do was counting all
    the penalties awarded to one side, and if that number is not the
    same number for every team (and half of that for France) it's an
    automatic conspiracy!

Also, did I say anywhere that they were debatable?

Oh, sorry, of course they are since they are for France.
    Perisic's hand in 2018 was not deliberate (I heart a lot of
    times here and still recently) so I guess that Kolo Muani
    dives, Montiel's handball should not be sanctioned and Paredes
    does not deserve more than yellow card on his foul on
    Camavinga.

Two penalties were a big problem for you, when England got
    them.`

Really ? Are you sure ?

To quote ixion:
    'To have given two penalties?
    Most of all the second one which is never given?'

So yeah, I am pretty sure.

By the way, I conclude you do not see any problem with
    argentinian penalties during the tournament. Why am I not
    surprised ?

Yeah, I'm curious, tell me, why aren't you?

Ciao,
    Werner

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From ixion martin - GdBx@21:1/5 to All on Mon Dec 19 01:06:49 2022
    FF avait soumis l'ide :

nobody can say he didn't deserve it

Why ?

--
    Ixion

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Al Kamista@21:1/5 to ixion martin - GdBx on Sun Dec 18 17:16:38 2022
    On Sunday, December 18, 2022 at 1:32:50 PM UTC-5, ixion martin - GdBx wrote:
    Le 18/12/2022, FF a supposé :
    martin - GdBx wrote:
    FF avait prétendu :

happen.

I can understand that you're in a bad mood, but you're going
    too far. Calm down. You're going to regret it.
    And what would I regret it ? You are going to come to my home
    to knock me ?

Most of people here consider me as the village idiot.

That might have something to do with your comments here. In your world, every organization in the world from FIFA to UEFA to IOC to NATO to UNESCO is embroiled in a massive conspiracy to destroy France.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Al Kamista@21:1/5 to ixion martin - GdBx on Sun Dec 18 17:19:25 2022
    On Sunday, December 18, 2022 at 5:47:51 PM UTC-5, ixion martin - GdBx wrote:

If... If... If...
    them before every game.

If you do not see any problem with a team starting with one
    goal more than the opponents, I do.

After all, FIFA can change a result after the final wisthle so
    why not ?

I can totally see that happening. Kolo Muani scores in the last minute of extra time and France win the World Cup. Then during the trophy presentation Infantino comes out and says that FIFA have decided to award the World Cup to Argentina, even though
    France scored more goals. Sounds completely reasonable.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From ixion martin - GdBx@21:1/5 to All on Mon Dec 19 11:19:02 2022
    Dans son message prcdent, Al Kamista a crit :
    On Sunday, December 18, 2022 at 1:32:50 PM UTC-5, ixion
    martin - GdBx wrote:
    Le 18/12/2022, FF a suppos :
    martin - GdBx wrote:
    FF avait prtendu :
    Argentina gets it in the end. I would have bet that
    France win the PKs. :) But this time it didn't happen.

happen.

I can understand that you're in a bad mood, but you're
    going too far. Calm down. You're going to regret it.
    And what would I regret it ? You are going to come to my
    home to knock me ?

That might have something to do with your comments here. In
    your world, every organization in the world from FIFA to UEFA
    to IOC to NATO to UNESCO is embroiled in a massive conspiracy
    to destroy France.

Surely that is the summarize done by people who does not want
    to see the things. Your pathetic irony is a good example.

Most of all, I never spoke about France here, but Argentina.
    Everybody saying that refereeing was neutral with Argentina
    during this World Cup is a liar or does not know football.

I know France and French people are not very much appreciated
    in the world : assumed to be arrogant, grouchy, lazy, striker,
    I see the same bias in this newsgroup and I am so so stupid to
    have expected a different place here and most of all to have
    stayed so long.

Be happy, the French paranoiac village idiot will not disturb
    you any more. I am fed up to preach in the desert.

Futbolmetrix, sorry, but you can forget me for UPT (nice game
    indeed).

--
    Ixion

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Futbolmetrix@21:1/5 to ixion martin - GdBx on Mon Dec 19 05:48:38 2022
    On Monday, December 19, 2022 at 5:19:05 AM UTC-5, ixion martin - GdBx wrote:

Be happy, the French paranoiac village idiot will not disturb
    you any more. I am fed up to preach in the desert.

Futbolmetrix, sorry, but you can forget me for UPT (nice game
    indeed).

I hope that once emotions will have cooled down a bit you will reconsider.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark@21:1/5 to Binder Dundat on Mon Dec 19 05:43:52 2022
    On Sunday, December 18, 2022 at 6:05:50 PM UTC, Binder Dundat wrote:
    Incroyable!
    Credit to the Argies, was probably the best final game I have ever seen.

It was the best final since 1994, maybe the best I've ever seen.

Both teams were playing in the wrong colour shorts though.

There was a deliberate pass to the goalkeeper (France's goalkeeper I think), maybe 5 minutes or so before half-time, where the player kneeled and controlled the ball with his knees to make the pass, and no free-kick was given. I wouldn't have given the
    penalty for Argentina's first goal though.

Kylian Mbappe becomes the 1st player since Carli Lloyd to score a hat-trick in a World Cup Final. Carli Lloyd is still the only player to have done it in 90 minutes though.

He's also the 2nd player to score in consecutive World Cup finals. If I remember correctly, there's now 5 players that have scored in 2 World Cup Finals:

Kylian Mbappe in 2018 and 2022
    Zinedine Zidane, 2 in 1998, 1 in 2006
    Paul Breitner in 1974 and 1982
    Pele, 2 I think in 1958, 1 in 1970
    Vava, 2 in 1958 and 1 in 1962.

Anyway, South America roolz!!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From FF@21:1/5 to ixion martin - GdBx on Mon Dec 19 20:06:35 2022
    On Sunday, December 18, 2022 at 9:33:28 PM UTC+2, ixion martin - GdBx wrote:

Coming from monsieur ixion that's remarkable. As much an admission as we'll ever get.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From FF@21:1/5 to ixion martin - GdBx on Mon Dec 19 20:12:14 2022
    On Monday, December 19, 2022 at 12:19:05 PM UTC+2, ixion martin - GdBx wrote:
    Dans son message précédent, Al Kamista a écrit :

That might have something to do with your comments here. In
    your world, every organization in the world from FIFA to UEFA
    to IOC to NATO to UNESCO is embroiled in a massive conspiracy
    to destroy France.
    Surely that is the summarize done by people who does not want
    to see the things. Your pathetic irony is a good example.

Most of all, I never spoke about France here, but Argentina.
    Everybody saying that refereeing was neutral with Argentina
    during this World Cup is a liar or does not know football.

I know France and French people are not very much appreciated
    in the world : assumed to be arrogant, grouchy, lazy, striker,

I for one appreciate the french at least for one thing: they're by far the best looking (i.e. the least overweight) from all developed nations. Surely has to do with their vanity and arrogance ;) but in this case it results in something strongly positive.

Don't know about lazy but they definitely exaggerate with striking.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From =?UTF-8?B?TGzDqW8=?=@21:1/5 to All on Tue Dec 20 00:46:02 2022
    Em domingo, 18 de dezembro de 2022 às 17:41:41 UTC-3, Blueshirt escreveu:
    Real Mardin wrote:

I thought it was a great World Cup... with some really good games, even
    at the end of the group stages.

No drunken fighting in the bars and on the streets when England got
    knocked out was probably a bonus that Qatar appreciated too.

The Final was a classic. Maybe one of the best that I've ever seen.

About finals, I watch them since 1990, and a couple of years ago saw the
    full 1986 one. This one was easily the best I've ever seen. And I think
    that even if you consider the semifinals too (in this period, at least),
    it probably stays at the top as well. Or at least top-3 or something.
    IMHO, of course.

Hats off to Argentina, for a deserved third World Cup victory, and to
    France, for refusing to roll over when all seemed lost and giving us such
    a fantastic final. In the end, the best two teams made it to the big game.

Much will be made of Messi's role in all this and justifiably so. This achievement is the crown jewel of his career. But in fairness' sake, if he ever has another son, he should name him Emiliano. Martínez's save at the
    end of the game, IMHO, has overtaken Gordon Banks 1970, Dino Zoff 1982 and Iker Casillas 2010 as The Greatest Save Ever in a World Cup. You literally cannot pick more of a clutch time to pull such a thing off, unless you count saves in the penalty shootout themselves (in which case he did stop one anyway).

So I have to say that I actually enjoyed Qatar 2022... plus I won the
    work sweepstake with Argentina as a nice bonus! ;-)

Congratulations!

Best regards,

Lléo

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark@21:1/5 to Real Mardin on Tue Dec 20 03:37:27 2022
    On Sunday, December 18, 2022 at 6:04:05 PM UTC, Real Mardin wrote:

RM

So, how did Argentina win the World Cup? Why did they win the World Cup? What do they do to continue their success? Do they actually need to drop a few of the older players?

Now the World Cup's over, I'm not a Netherlands fan but I think it's worth mentioning that Netherlands finished the tournament as the only unbeaten team. (Unless defeats on penalties count.)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From DK@21:1/5 to Mark on Thu Dec 22 07:30:56 2022
    In article <a3164503-8001-4ecf-b1df-10bf23a9fd25n@googlegroups.com>, Mark <Pammiesheart@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
    On Sunday, December 18, 2022 at 6:04:05 PM UTC, Real Mardin wrote:

RM

So, how did Argentina win the World Cup? Why did they win the World Cup? What
    do they do to continue their success? Do they actually need to drop a few of the older players?

Now the World Cup's over, I'm not a Netherlands fan but I think it's worth
    mentioning that Netherlands finished the tournament as the only unbeaten team.
    (Unless defeats on penalties count.)

And they lost on PKs to the eventual champions.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05