• The best WC ever?

From KaiserD2@21:1/5 to All on Thu Dec 1 20:35:16 2022
    Yes, it's easy to complain about the corruption and politics of it,
    but it's actually soccer tournament, and so far it is easily the best
    one I've ever seen, and I've seen most of every WC since 1974. Perhaps
    it's having it in mid-season that the quality of play has been
    consistently high. More importantly, Canada (which played some very
    good football) and Qatar emerged as the only two really weak teams.
    Even Costa Rica--who let us remember qualified from one of the
    toughest groups in history in 2014--showed plenty of class today and
    at one point was set to qualify.
    I expect more upsets. England is going to have a very tough time with
    Senegal, in my opinion. It certainly would fit with the pattern so
    far if Cameroun beat Brazil! This is the most competitive and
    best-played World Cup and no competition has had final first round
    days like these last three. I'm just hoping for no shootouts in the
    knockout stage--very unlikely, I know, but I can dream.

David K

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Real Mardin@21:1/5 to All on Thu Dec 1 23:46:13 2022
    On Friday, December 2, 2022 at 1:35:23 AM UTC, KaiserD2 wrote:
    I expect more upsets. England is going to have a very tough time with Senegal, in my opinion. It certainly would fit with the pattern so

David K

I agree in so far as we’ve had some upsets in the group stage which definitely makes things more interesting, but let’s see what the knockout round brings before passing verdict. Having got Senegal, Morocco, Japan and to a lesser extent the USA to
    the second round it won’t feel like the best World Cup ever if they and any other unexpected sides who might progress today all collapse to 3-0 defeats in the second round.

If unexpected teams progressing is the measure of a successful World Cup then the best so far is 2002 in my view. Senegal and USA getting to the quarter finals and South Korea and Turkey in the semi finals is going to take some beating.

RM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Al Kamista@21:1/5 to All on Fri Dec 2 06:00:21 2022
    On Thursday, December 1, 2022 at 8:35:23 PM UTC-5, KaiserD2 wrote:
    I expect more upsets. England is going to have a very tough time with Senegal, in my opinion. It certainly would fit with the pattern so

The question is, what constitutes a good World Cup? Is it just upsets? In that case, WC2002, which is commonly agreed upon as one of the worst WCs of the modern era, was rife with upsets.

In my opinion, a good WC is one which has epic matches that are remembered for decades, or the emergence of bonafide legends. Examples:
    1982: Italy-Brazil and Germany-France. Paolo Rossi
    1986: Argentina-England, Brazil-France, Argentina-Germany. Diego Maradona

There are many more examples.

If the knockout stage this year ends in a bunch of 0-0s, 1-0s, or 1-1s (and PKs), I doubt it will be remembered as a great tournament.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Blueshirt@21:1/5 to Al Kamista on Fri Dec 2 14:18:29 2022
    Al Kamista wrote:

but it's actually soccer tournament, and so far it is easily the
    best one I've ever seen, and I've seen most of every WC since 1974.
    Perhaps it's having it in mid-season that the quality of play has
    been consistently high.

The question is, what constitutes a good World Cup? Is it just
    upsets? In that case, WC2002, which is commonly agreed upon as one of
    the worst WCs of the modern era, was rife with upsets.

In my opinion, a good WC is one which has epic matches that are
    remembered for decades, or the emergence of bonafide legends.
    Examples: 1982: Italy-Brazil and Germany-France. Paolo Rossi 1986: Argentina-England, Brazil-France, Argentina-Germany. Diego Maradona

If the knockout stage this year ends in a bunch of 0-0s, 1-0s, or
    1-1s (and PKs), I doubt it will be remembered as a great tournament.

To be honest, I think whatever 'shocks' happen in this World Cup are
    just going to be put down to it being a tournament played in the middle
    of the European season... it's not an excuse I've heard yet from the
    likes of Belgium, Germany or Wales to justify their under-performance,
    but I'm pretty sure it's the sort of thing pundits in the UK on Sky
    Sports (etc.) will say if Senegal knock England out on Sunday!

I suspect in time that's hows Qatar 2022 will generally be remembered;
    a one-off mid-season tournament that we can all forget about as it
    doesn't really matter... see ye all in North America for FIFA World $$
    Cup 2026.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Futbolmetrix@21:1/5 to alka...@hotmail.com on Fri Dec 2 07:53:47 2022
    On Friday, December 2, 2022 at 9:01:22 AM UTC-5, alka...@hotmail.com wrote:
    The question is, what constitutes a good World Cup? Is it just upsets? In that case, WC2002, which is commonly agreed upon as one of the worst WCs of the modern era, was rife with upsets.

Good point. I have a hard time comparing *quality* across matches in the same tournament, let alone across tournaments played many years apart.

In terms of goals scored, we are currently sitting at 2.48 per match (not counting GHA-URU and KOR-POR) which is at the lowish end of recent tournaments. I think the number of 0-0s is up by quite a bit.

What the current group stage has going for it is the number of teams still unsure of their destiny entering Match Day 3. This year we had only 5 teams that already knew their qualifications status before MD3. I think that's much lower than in previous
    tournaments, but I'm not sure. The uncertainty in almost all the groups about who would qualify was a big plus and certainly contributes to the "quality" of this WC,

If the knockout stage this year ends in a bunch of 0-0s, 1-0s, or 1-1s (and PKs), I doubt it will be remembered as a great tournament.

Agreed.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From LedZep IgaSwanTech@21:1/5 to All on Fri Dec 2 08:15:29 2022
    On Thursday, December 1, 2022 at 7:35:23 PM UTC-6, KaiserD2 wrote:

David K

No this is the WORRRRRRRST World Cup ever... almost as bas as freaking 2002 World Cup which had chumps like US, Korea and Turkey making the QF. That was a disgrace. Not looking forward to Japan vs Australia and Senegal vs Portugal semis... come on just
    because there were some upsets, and big teams performed poorly (Denmark, Belgium, Germany), this doesn't make it a great world cup.

This might turn out to be a cakewalk for Argentina, Brazil, England and France. Is that what you wanted?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From LedZep IgaSwanTech@21:1/5 to LedZep IgaSwanTech on Fri Dec 2 09:18:42 2022
    On Friday, December 2, 2022 at 10:15:31 AM UTC-6, LedZep IgaSwanTech wrote:
    one I've ever seen, and I've seen most of every WC since 1974. Perhaps it's having it in mid-season that the quality of play has been consistently high. More importantly, Canada (which played some very
    days like these last three. I'm just hoping for no shootouts in the knockout stage--very unlikely, I know, but I can dream.

David K
    No this is the WORRRRRRRST World Cup ever... almost as bas as freaking 2002 World Cup which had chumps like US, Korea and Turkey making the QF. That was a disgrace. Not looking forward to Japan vs Australia and Senegal vs Portugal semis... come on just
    because there were some upsets, and big teams performed poorly (Denmark, Belgium, Germany), this doesn't make it a great world cup.

This might turn out to be a cakewalk for Argentina, Brazil, England and France. Is that what you wanted?
    Now Uruguay out too... absolute cakewalk now for Brazil. Only Argentina in the semis will decent challenge for them.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Real Mardin@21:1/5 to alka...@hotmail.com on Fri Dec 2 14:57:22 2022
    On Friday, December 2, 2022 at 2:01:22 PM UTC, alka...@hotmail.com wrote:
    one I've ever seen, and I've seen most of every WC since 1974. Perhaps it's having it in mid-season that the quality of play has been consistently high. More importantly, Canada (which played some very
    days like these last three. I'm just hoping for no shootouts in the knockout stage--very unlikely, I know, but I can dream.

In my opinion, a good WC is one which has epic matches that are remembered for decades, or the emergence of bonafide legends. Examples:

It's funny but I was thinking about this very topic before this World Cup.

For me there are three dimensions to what makes a great World Cup:

1) As you've stated, it needs those epic matches that either keep people on the edge of their seats in excitement (England - Cameroon 1990, Belgium - Japan 2018) or keep you captivated due to the sense of occasion and tension of watching two heavyweight
    sides match each other over the distance (England - West Germany 1990, Argentina - England 1998).

2) It also needs unexpected results to keep things interesting, because, let's face it, things would get boring if we knew the big teams would always win. The unexpected result could come in individual matches (Saudi Arabia beating Argentina at this
    World Cup), come in the form of an underdog or a side who has flown under the radar progressing far (Sweden in 1994 and Turkey in 2002 both making the semi finals) or both (Cameroon beating Argentina en route to the quarter final in 1990, Romania and
    Bulgaria also beating Argentina en route to the quarter and semi final respectively in 1994, South Korea beating Portugal, Italy and Spain en route to the semi final in 2002).

3) The third dimension doesn't take place on the pitch but off it. A great World Cup needs to be held in a country with a long footballing tradition and a genuine passion for football among the population. The stadiums need to be filled with fans who are
    attuned to the energy of the match and know how to respond accordingly. The stadiums should be instantly recognisable as Cathedrals of football, venues where legends were made and historic matches were played out in front of hundreds of thousands of fans
    who paid pilgrimage over the years. Italia '90 was a very good example of this, Italy being a football mad nation boasting iconic stadiums such as the Olimpico and the San Siro. Brasil 2014 was also another very good example. Qatar 2022 is at the
    opposite end of the scale, very little football culture, fans who come across more as vaguely interested onlookers rather than people living and breathing the game, and newly built stadiums with no meaning to football fans and (at least from the inside)
    don't have any individual character setting them apart from any other newly built stadium in any other part of the World.

So, applying these criteria what was the best World Cup? Well, I don't have the time to do a detailed analysis right now but off the top of my head Italia '90 boasted all three dimensions of a great World Cup:

1) Epic matches - a World Cup that gave us Brazil - Argentina, Netherlands - West Germany, England - West Germany, Argentina - Italy and Argentina - West Germany.

2) Upsets - Cameroon beating Argentina, Romania beating the Soviet Union (who had made the final of Euro 88), Yugoslavia beating Spain, Costa Rica beating Scotland (yes, believe it or not this was something of an upset at the time), Cameroon and
    Republic of Ireland making it to the quarter finals.

3) As stated above, football mad culture and iconic stadiums.

Italia '90 - best World Cup ever? *s*

RM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From LedZep IgaSwanTech@21:1/5 to Real Mardin on Fri Dec 2 15:12:41 2022
    On Friday, December 2, 2022 at 4:57:23 PM UTC-6, Real Mardin wrote:
    but it's actually soccer tournament, and so far it is easily the best one I've ever seen, and I've seen most of every WC since 1974. Perhaps it's having it in mid-season that the quality of play has been consistently high. More importantly, Canada (which played some very
    far if Cameroun beat Brazil! This is the most competitive and best-played World Cup and no competition has had final first round

1) As you've stated, it needs those epic matches that either keep people on the edge of their seats in excitement (England - Cameroon 1990, Belgium - Japan 2018) or keep you captivated due to the sense of occasion and tension of watching two
    heavyweight sides match each other over the distance (England - West Germany 1990, Argentina - England 1998).

2) It also needs unexpected results to keep things interesting, because, let's face it, things would get boring if we knew the big teams would always win. The unexpected result could come in individual matches (Saudi Arabia beating Argentina at this
    World Cup), come in the form of an underdog or a side who has flown under the radar progressing far (Sweden in 1994 and Turkey in 2002 both making the semi finals) or both (Cameroon beating Argentina en route to the quarter final in 1990, Romania and
    Bulgaria also beating Argentina en route to the quarter and semi final respectively in 1994, South Korea beating Portugal, Italy and Spain en route to the semi final in 2002).

3) The third dimension doesn't take place on the pitch but off it. A great World Cup needs to be held in a country with a long footballing tradition and a genuine passion for football among the population. The stadiums need to be filled with fans who
    are attuned to the energy of the match and know how to respond accordingly. The stadiums should be instantly recognisable as Cathedrals of football, venues where legends were made and historic matches were played out in front of hundreds of thousands of
    fans who paid pilgrimage over the years. Italia '90 was a very good example of this, Italy being a football mad nation boasting iconic stadiums such as the Olimpico and the San Siro. Brasil 2014 was also another very good example. Qatar 2022 is at the
    opposite end of the scale, very little football culture, fans who come across more as vaguely interested onlookers rather than people living and breathing the game, and newly built stadiums with no meaning to football fans and (at least from the inside)
    don't have any individual character setting them apart from any other newly built stadium in any other part of the World.

So, applying these criteria what was the best World Cup? Well, I don't have the time to do a detailed analysis right now but off the top of my head Italia '90 boasted all three dimensions of a great World Cup:

1) Epic matches - a World Cup that gave us Brazil - Argentina, Netherlands - West Germany, England - West Germany, Argentina - Italy and Argentina - West Germany.

2) Upsets - Cameroon beating Argentina, Romania beating the Soviet Union (who had made the final of Euro 88), Yugoslavia beating Spain, Costa Rica beating Scotland (yes, believe it or not this was something of an upset at the time), Cameroon and

RM
    It was a good World Cup since Germany won ;-) But you are in minority here. Many consider it as the worst world cup ever because of many 0-0 draws and teams being too conservative.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Werner Pichler@21:1/5 to Real Mardin on Fri Dec 2 15:31:16 2022
    On Friday, December 2, 2022 at 11:57:23 PM UTC+1, Real Mardin wrote:
    but it's actually soccer tournament, and so far it is easily the best one I've ever seen, and I've seen most of every WC since 1974. Perhaps it's having it in mid-season that the quality of play has been consistently high. More importantly, Canada (which played some very
    far if Cameroun beat Brazil! This is the most competitive and best-played World Cup and no competition has had final first round

1) As you've stated, it needs those epic matches that either keep people on the edge of their seats in excitement (England - Cameroon 1990, Belgium - Japan 2018) or keep you captivated due to the sense of occasion and tension of watching two
    heavyweight sides match each other over the distance (England - West Germany 1990, Argentina - England 1998).

3) The third dimension doesn't take place on the pitch but off it. A great World Cup needs to be held in a country with a long footballing tradition and a genuine passion for football among the population. The stadiums need to be filled with fans who
    are attuned to the energy of the match and know how to respond accordingly. The stadiums should be instantly recognisable as Cathedrals of football, venues where legends were made and historic matches were played out in front of hundreds of thousands of
    fans who paid pilgrimage over the years. Italia '90 was a very good example of this, Italy being a football mad nation boasting iconic stadiums such as the Olimpico and the San Siro. Brasil 2014 was also another very good example. Qatar 2022 is at the

Counterargument: Italia 90 was so bad that it engendered actual rule changes.

Ciao,
    Werner

RM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Real Mardin@21:1/5 to LedZep IgaSwanTech on Fri Dec 2 15:18:57 2022
    On Friday, December 2, 2022 at 4:15:31 PM UTC, LedZep IgaSwanTech wrote:

David K
    No this is the WORRRRRRRST World Cup ever... almost as bas as freaking 2002 World Cup which had chumps like US, Korea > and Turkey making the QF. That was a disgrace.

???

Somewhat harsh assessment.

Turkey were basically robbed in the group stage against eventual winners Brazil. Hakan Unsal was famously sent off when he kicked the ball to Rivaldo to take a corner, the ball hit Rivaldo's ankles and he went down holding his face as if he'd been
    punched. Worse than that the goal that won the game for Brazil was a penalty from a foul which even Brazilian commentators accept occurred outside the area. Despite this Turkey dusted themselves down to get out of the group and overcame the hosts Japan (
    I accept not a heavyweight side but who had performed respectably, it's never easy to beat the hosts unless the hosts happen to be Qatar?) and a decent Senegal side (who had beaten the defending champions France) en route to the semi final.

USA beat Portugal and Mexico, who were decent sides at the time.

South Korea beat Portugal, Italy and Spain on their way to the semi final. There are teams who win World Cups who don't face that level of opposition.

These teams may not be traditional super powers of football but chumps they were not and their success (and that of Senegal too) made 2002 a compelling World Cup to watch.

RM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From LedZep IgaSwanTech@21:1/5 to Real Mardin on Fri Dec 2 15:47:16 2022
    On Friday, December 2, 2022 at 5:18:59 PM UTC-6, Real Mardin wrote:

David K
    No this is the WORRRRRRRST World Cup ever... almost as bas as freaking 2002 World Cup which had chumps like US, Korea > and Turkey making the QF. That was a disgrace.
    ???

Turkey were basically robbed in the group stage against eventual winners Brazil. Hakan Unsal was famously sent off when he kicked the ball to Rivaldo to take a corner, the ball hit Rivaldo's ankles and he went down holding his face as if he'd been
    punched. Worse than that the goal that won the game for Brazil was a penalty from a foul which even Brazilian commentators accept occurred outside the area. Despite this Turkey dusted themselves down to get out of the group and overcame the hosts Japan (
    I accept not a heavyweight side but who had performed respectably, it's never easy to beat the hosts unless the hosts happen to be Qatar?) and a decent Senegal side (who had beaten the defending champions France) en route to the semi final.

None of these decent sides would have made the KO rounds if not for Argentina, Uruguay and France flaking out in group stage. Germany were awful and made it to the final... that should say it all.

Portugal was the Denmark 2022 of that tournament. Mexico? LOL

South Korea beat Portugal, Italy and Spain on their way to the semi final. There are teams who win World Cups who don't face that level of opposition.

They cheated their way to the semis. It was disgraceful. The referees practically robbed Italy and Spain with dubious decisions.

These teams may not be traditional super powers of football but chumps they were not and their success (and that of Senegal too) made 2002 a compelling World Cup to watch.

RM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From LedZep IgaSwanTech@21:1/5 to Werner Pichler on Fri Dec 2 15:47:39 2022
    On Friday, December 2, 2022 at 5:31:18 PM UTC-6, Werner Pichler wrote:
    On Friday, December 2, 2022 at 11:57:23 PM UTC+1, Real Mardin wrote:
    Yes, it's easy to complain about the corruption and politics of it, but it's actually soccer tournament, and so far it is easily the best one I've ever seen, and I've seen most of every WC since 1974. Perhaps it's having it in mid-season that the quality of play has been consistently high. More importantly, Canada (which played some very good football) and Qatar emerged as the only two really weak teams. Even Costa Rica--who let us remember qualified from one of the toughest groups in history in 2014--showed plenty of class today and at one point was set to qualify.
    far if Cameroun beat Brazil! This is the most competitive and best-played World Cup and no competition has had final first round days like these last three. I'm just hoping for no shootouts in the knockout stage--very unlikely, I know, but I can dream.

Counterargument: Italia 90 was so bad that it engendered actual rule changes.

Yes.

Ciao,
    Werner

RM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Real Mardin@21:1/5 to LedZep IgaSwanTech on Fri Dec 2 15:28:27 2022
    On Friday, December 2, 2022 at 11:12:42 PM UTC, LedZep IgaSwanTech wrote:
    Yes, it's easy to complain about the corruption and politics of it, but it's actually soccer tournament, and so far it is easily the best one I've ever seen, and I've seen most of every WC since 1974. Perhaps it's having it in mid-season that the quality of play has been consistently high. More importantly, Canada (which played some very good football) and Qatar emerged as the only two really weak teams. Even Costa Rica--who let us remember qualified from one of the toughest groups in history in 2014--showed plenty of class today and at one point was set to qualify.
    far if Cameroun beat Brazil! This is the most competitive and best-played World Cup and no competition has had final first round days like these last three. I'm just hoping for no shootouts in the knockout stage--very unlikely, I know, but I can dream.

RM
    It was a good World Cup since Germany won ;-) But you are in minority here. Many consider it as the worst world cup ever because of many 0-0 draws and teams being too conservative.

It's a matter of opinion, but I'm not a fan of assessing the success of a World Cup by average goals. When England beat Panama 6-1 they shared 7 goals but the game wasn't as interesting to watch as many tense low scoring matches I've seen.

RM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From LedZep IgaSwanTech@21:1/5 to Real Mardin on Fri Dec 2 15:51:37 2022
    On Friday, December 2, 2022 at 5:28:29 PM UTC-6, Real Mardin wrote:
    Yes, it's easy to complain about the corruption and politics of it, but it's actually soccer tournament, and so far it is easily the best
    it's having it in mid-season that the quality of play has been consistently high. More importantly, Canada (which played some very good football) and Qatar emerged as the only two really weak teams. Even Costa Rica--who let us remember qualified from one of the toughest groups in history in 2014--showed plenty of class today and at one point was set to qualify.
    Senegal, in my opinion. It certainly would fit with the pattern so far if Cameroun beat Brazil! This is the most competitive and best-played World Cup and no competition has had final first round days like these last three. I'm just hoping for no shootouts in the knockout stage--very unlikely, I know, but I can dream.

2) It also needs unexpected results to keep things interesting, because, let's face it, things would get boring if we knew the big teams would always win. The unexpected result could come in individual matches (Saudi Arabia beating Argentina at
    this World Cup), come in the form of an underdog or a side who has flown under the radar progressing far (Sweden in 1994 and Turkey in 2002 both making the semi finals) or both (Cameroon beating Argentina en route to the quarter final in 1990, Romania
    and Bulgaria also beating Argentina en route to the quarter and semi final respectively in 1994, South Korea beating Portugal, Italy and Spain en route to the semi final in 2002).

3) The third dimension doesn't take place on the pitch but off it. A great World Cup needs to be held in a country with a long footballing tradition and a genuine passion for football among the population. The stadiums need to be filled with fans
    who are attuned to the energy of the match and know how to respond accordingly. The stadiums should be instantly recognisable as Cathedrals of football, venues where legends were made and historic matches were played out in front of hundreds of thousands
    of fans who paid pilgrimage over the years. Italia '90 was a very good example of this, Italy being a football mad nation boasting iconic stadiums such as the Olimpico and the San Siro. Brasil 2014 was also another very good example. Qatar 2022 is at the

RM
    It's a matter of opinion, but I'm not a fan of assessing the success of a World Cup by average goals. When England beat Panama 6-1 they shared 7 goals but the game wasn't as interesting to watch as many tense low scoring matches I've seen.

Majority consider 1990 to be one of the World Cups ever.... Cameroon and Colombia making a run was probably the most entertaining there. Also Czechoslovakia and Germany racking up goals in the group stage. Other than it was pretty poor.

2002 was terrible too. 1998 had some exciting games courtesy Denmark with Laudrup brothers and Norway defeating Brazil (LOL) and Nigeria and Romania topping their groups... so it might be probably the most entertaining one I have seen apart from 2014 (I
    have seen every WC since 2002).

RM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark@21:1/5 to LedZep IgaSwanTech on Sat Dec 3 02:25:59 2022
    On Friday, December 2, 2022 at 11:51:39 PM UTC, LedZep IgaSwanTech wrote:
    On Friday, December 2, 2022 at 5:28:29 PM UTC-6, Real Mardin wrote:
    it's having it in mid-season that the quality of play has been consistently high. More importantly, Canada (which played some very
    Even Costa Rica--who let us remember qualified from one of the toughest groups in history in 2014--showed plenty of class today and
    Senegal, in my opinion. It certainly would fit with the pattern so far if Cameroun beat Brazil! This is the most competitive and best-played World Cup and no competition has had final first round days like these last three. I'm just hoping for no shootouts in the

2) It also needs unexpected results to keep things interesting, because, let's face it, things would get boring if we knew the big teams would always win. The unexpected result could come in individual matches (Saudi Arabia beating Argentina at
    this World Cup), come in the form of an underdog or a side who has flown under the radar progressing far (Sweden in 1994 and Turkey in 2002 both making the semi finals) or both (Cameroon beating Argentina en route to the quarter final in 1990, Romania
    and Bulgaria also beating Argentina en route to the quarter and semi final respectively in 1994, South Korea beating Portugal, Italy and Spain en route to the semi final in 2002).

3) The third dimension doesn't take place on the pitch but off it. A great World Cup needs to be held in a country with a long footballing tradition and a genuine passion for football among the population. The stadiums need to be filled with fans
    who are attuned to the energy of the match and know how to respond accordingly. The stadiums should be instantly recognisable as Cathedrals of football, venues where legends were made and historic matches were played out in front of hundreds of thousands
    of fans who paid pilgrimage over the years. Italia '90 was a very good example of this, Italy being a football mad nation boasting iconic stadiums such as the Olimpico and the San Siro. Brasil 2014 was also another very good example. Qatar 2022 is at the

RM

Majority consider 1990 to be one of the World Cups ever.... Cameroon and Colombia making a run was probably the most entertaining there. Also Czechoslovakia and Germany racking up goals in the group stage. Other than it was pretty poor.

2002 was terrible too. 1998 had some exciting games courtesy Denmark with Laudrup brothers and Norway defeating Brazil (LOL) and Nigeria and Romania topping their groups... so it might be probably the most entertaining one I have seen apart from 2014 (
    I have seen every WC since 2002).

RM

In terms of excitement and entertainment, I think 2022 has possibly been the best group stage ever.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ion Saliu@21:1/5 to All on Sat Dec 3 03:03:39 2022
    De gustibus non est disputandum.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Timothy Bruening@21:1/5 to All on Sat Dec 3 05:13:41 2022
    On Thursday, December 1, 2022 at 5:35:23 PM UTC-8, KaiserD2 wrote:

I like the World Cup ads, showing Qataries magically creating the stadiums using streamers and video. I also like the music.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Timothy Bruening@21:1/5 to alka...@hotmail.com on Sat Dec 3 05:15:19 2022
    On Friday, December 2, 2022 at 6:01:22 AM UTC-8, alka...@hotmail.com wrote:

I give USA-Iran 10/10!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From LedZep IgaSwanTech@21:1/5 to Timothy Bruening on Sat Dec 3 13:13:38 2022
    On Saturday, December 3, 2022 at 7:15:20 AM UTC-6, Timothy Bruening wrote:
    On Friday, December 2, 2022 at 6:01:22 AM UTC-8, alka...@hotmail.com wrote:

I give USA-Iran 10/10!
    Oh what basis? Iran were boring.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From KaiserD2@21:1/5 to tsbrueni@gmail.com on Sun Dec 4 08:39:55 2022
    I'm glad to have provoked this discussion.

1990 did feature the epic England-Cameroun and England-Germany
    matches, and one of the most spectacular group finishes I have ever
    seen, the Germany-Colombia draw. I have never gone crazier than at
    Colombia's tying goal, which I urge you all to view on youtube. But
    the Italian semi-final defeat and the final were disasters.

2002 did have some great matches as well such as Senegal-Uruguay and Senegal-Sweden, and Brazil-Costa Rica, and the final was very
    entertaining. 2006 had one of the great semi-finals of all time
    between Italy and Germany. I well remember my own comment on this
    list at halftime: "The Italians have come to play, as we say in the
    US, and when they do, there's no one better." They proved me right.
    But the final was a big disappointment.

I don't remember much group stage excitement from 2018 except for the
    opening Spain-Portugal 3-3, but the knockout rounds featured
    Japan-Belgium, a classic, Brazil-Belgium, Brazil-France, and a very
    lively final, marred by the dreadful penalty call that took Croatia
    out of it.

I think that without question this year was the best group stage ever. Yesterday's games were both entertaining, particularly Holland-US--and
    Holland is clearly going to be a major contender now, in my opinion. I
    am eagerly awaiting England-Senegal--the Senegalese should watch the
    1990 England-Cameroun! Based on the group stages I expect one or two
    upsets in this round.

David Kaiser

On Sat, 3 Dec 2022 05:13:41 -0800 (PST), Timothy Bruening
    <tsbrueni@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thursday, December 1, 2022 at 5:35:23 PM UTC-8, KaiserD2 wrote:

I like the World Cup ads, showing Qataries magically creating the stadiums using streamers and video. I also like the music.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From KaiserD2@21:1/5 to real_mardin@yahoo.co.uk on Sun Dec 4 08:32:04 2022
    On Fri, 2 Dec 2022 15:18:57 -0800 (PST), Real Mardin
    <real_mardin@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

David K

???

RM
    This is not correct. The goal that won Brazil the semi over
    Turkey in 2002 was a shot by Ronaldo off the outside of his foot from
    just outside the box, not a penalty.

David k

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark@21:1/5 to All on Sun Dec 4 06:01:05 2022
    On Sunday, December 4, 2022 at 1:40:01 PM UTC, KaiserD2 wrote:

I seem to remember the Argentina-Italy semi-final being a good match. Why do you say that was a disaster?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Binder Dundat@21:1/5 to Mark on Sun Dec 4 06:15:54 2022
    People who neverwatch Football always come out every WC and say things like "this is the best WC ever" for some reason, like they saw a match that they thought was good. Truth is this has been a poor WC, with very few good performances by any teams.
    Skill level has been low, it has been a very ordinary cup. yes you may like USA doing well vsd England or beating Iran, but that does not make a good WC

On Sunday, December 4, 2022 at 9:01:07 a.m. UTC-5, Mark wrote:

seen, the Germany-Colombia draw. I have never gone crazier than at Colombia's tying goal, which I urge you all to view on youtube. But
    I seem to remember the Argentina-Italy semi-final being a good match. Why do you say that was a disaster?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Binder Dundat@21:1/5 to Real Mardin on Sun Dec 4 08:00:38 2022
    The most exciting and best new prospect player to come out from this WM is the Argentine guy, I think his name is Messy?

On Sunday, December 4, 2022 at 10:47:48 a.m. UTC-5, Real Mardin wrote:
    On Sunday, December 4, 2022 at 1:32:11 PM UTC, KaiserD2 wrote:
    On Fri, 2 Dec 2022 15:18:57 -0800 (PST), Real Mardin <real_...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

On Friday, December 2, 2022 at 4:15:31 PM UTC, LedZep IgaSwanTech wrote: >> On Thursday, December 1, 2022 at 7:35:23 PM UTC-6, KaiserD2 wrote:
    Yes, it's easy to complain about the corruption and politics of it, >> > but it's actually soccer tournament, and so far it is easily the best >> > one I've ever seen, and I've seen most of every WC since 1974. Perhaps
    consistently high. More importantly, Canada (which played some very >> > good football) and Qatar emerged as the only two really weak teams. >> > Even Costa Rica--who let us remember qualified from one of the
    toughest groups in history in 2014--showed plenty of class today and >> > at one point was set to qualify.
    I expect more upsets. England is going to have a very tough time with >> > Senegal, in my opinion. It certainly would fit with the pattern so
    days like these last three. I'm just hoping for no shootouts in the >> > knockout stage--very unlikely, I know, but I can dream.

David K

???

RM

As stated in the post above - it was the group stage match I was referring to where Brazil were awarded the phantom penalty.

RM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Real Mardin@21:1/5 to All on Sun Dec 4 07:47:46 2022
    On Sunday, December 4, 2022 at 1:32:11 PM UTC, KaiserD2 wrote:
    On Fri, 2 Dec 2022 15:18:57 -0800 (PST), Real Mardin
    <real_...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

but it's actually soccer tournament, and so far it is easily the best >> > one I've ever seen, and I've seen most of every WC since 1974. Perhaps >> > it's having it in mid-season that the quality of play has been
    I expect more upsets. England is going to have a very tough time with >> > Senegal, in my opinion. It certainly would fit with the pattern so

David K

???

RM

As stated in the post above - it was the group stage match I was referring to where Brazil were awarded the phantom penalty.

RM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Real Mardin@21:1/5 to Real Mardin on Sun Dec 4 13:32:43 2022
    On Friday, December 2, 2022 at 7:46:14 AM UTC, Real Mardin wrote:

David K
    I agree in so far as we’ve had some upsets in the group stage which definitely makes things more interesting, but let’s see what the knockout round brings before passing verdict. Having got Senegal, Morocco, Japan and to a lesser extent the USA to
    the second round it won’t feel like the best World Cup ever if they and any other unexpected sides who might progress today all collapse to 3-0 defeats in the second round.

If unexpected teams progressing is the measure of a successful World Cup then the best so far is 2002 in my view. Senegal and USA getting to the quarter finals and South Korea and Turkey in the semi finals is going to take some beating.

RM

As I was saying:

Netherlands 3 - USA 1

Argentina 2 - Australia 1

England 3 - Senegal 0

Still feeling like the best World Cup ever? :(

RM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From LedZep IgaSwanTech@21:1/5 to Real Mardin on Sun Dec 4 13:43:04 2022
    On Sunday, December 4, 2022 at 3:32:44 PM UTC-6, Real Mardin wrote:
    On Friday, December 2, 2022 at 7:46:14 AM UTC, Real Mardin wrote:

David K
    I agree in so far as we’ve had some upsets in the group stage which definitely makes things more interesting, but let’s see what the knockout round brings before passing verdict. Having got Senegal, Morocco, Japan and to a lesser extent the USA
    to the second round it won’t feel like the best World Cup ever if they and any other unexpected sides who might progress today all collapse to 3-0 defeats in the second round.

RM
    As I was saying:

Netherlands 3 - USA 1

Argentina 2 - Australia 1

England 3 - Senegal 0

Still feeling like the best World Cup ever? :(

RM
    And all the goals by the losing teams were fluke.... the US goal was a fluke unintentional curl. Australia got a weird deflection goal. Poland got a dubious handball penalty. Comprehensive beatdowns. In fact Poland who were supposed to be destroyed
    offered the best opposition.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From MH@21:1/5 to All on Sun Dec 4 20:55:30 2022
    On 2022-12-01 18:35, KaiserD2 wrote:

David K

This is of course very subjective. I have never had the time to watch
    all the matches in a WC, or even all the knockout stage ones (though i
    have on a few occasions seen the majority of those).

To qualify as the best ever, hypothetically, I would want to see all of

1) A sensible and balanced format (don't like uneven second round groups
    like in 1982, or second round groups at all; not super keen on the whole
    "best third placed teams either" in a system with 24 teams. Also the
    draw should always be such that the top two in any group should not be
    able to meet again until the final)

2) Lots of close, hard-fought games full of drama and excitement,
    reversal of fortune etc. Especially in the KO part.

3) Some extra time games but no PKs

4) the final played between two very good teams who really go for it,
    and the result decided on the pitch with no PKs or controversy such as
    less than clear penalties, or people being sent off based on dives and
    play acting.

I don't think any WC I have paid much attention to qualifies on all
    counts (I saw the final in 1966 - good final, ruined a bit by
    controversy) but can really only count viewership since 1982 when CBC
    gave us quite good coverage of all games.

All things considered, I have the fondest memories of 1986. There were
    a lot of memorable events in the group stage (England in deep trouble
    but recovering in the last game vs. Poland, Morocco winning a group, the
    Danes and USSR looking irresistable in the group stage, and some great
    goals. Then some outstanding matches in the KO stage - France Brazil,
    USSR Belgium, Denmark SPain, Spain Belgium, Argentina England, and the
    France Germany semifinal which France really ought to have won.
    Maradonna of course, but the fact the Germans made a match of it in the
    final also helped.

1990 gets a lot of bad press, I think heavily influenced by a poor
    final. There were certainly some dull games (especially in the England
    Ireland NL Egypt group) and some negative play, but games like Germany -
    NL, Germany Yugoslavia, Germany England, Brazil Argentina, Argentina
    Italy, Spain Yugoslavia, and Belgium England and Cameroon England were
    great to watch (though perhaps too many controversial incidents in some
    of them. And too many penalty shoot outs - a lot more than in 1986,
    unless I am mistaken.

1994 I found mostly dull, apart from pleasant upsets by Romania and
    Bulgaria. I also saw fewer games than in any other cup in my viewing
    period (1982 to present) so I may be being unfair.

1998 did not have too many really interesting games in the knockout
    stage in my view, though Brazil Denmark and Brazil NL, along with NL
    Argentina and Argentina - England did stand out. Again too many pens,
    and Brazil not showing up for the final did not help the whole thing.

2002 was kind of fun because of upsets, but the play seemed to get more conservative with each round in the knockout phase. Too many games
    decided by PKS.

2006. Not bad. Final kind of ruined it, and too many games were
    decided amid controversy.

2010. One of the better ones from my point of view, but Spain could
    have been more enterprising and scored more goals.

2014. Mostly pretty good and some good elements of surprise in Costa
    Rica, Colombia, the US.

2018. Some good games but a lot I found dull.

2022. So far not bad, especially in that the minnows have all tried to
    play football and not just park the bus. I have not seen enough games
    due to work, though. The KO round games so far have been entertaining
    and no PKS, thank goodness.

So in spite of being far from perfect according to my own criteria, I
    still remember (perhaps distortedly) 1986 as being the best one I have
    watched.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From KaiserD2@21:1/5 to Pammiesheart@yahoo.co.uk on Mon Dec 5 20:40:05 2022
    On Sun, 4 Dec 2022 06:01:05 -0800 (PST), Mark
    <Pammiesheart@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

Because it was decided on penalties.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Futbolmetrix@21:1/5 to All on Mon Dec 5 19:30:46 2022
    On Sunday, December 4, 2022 at 10:55:35 PM UTC-5, MH wrote:

This is of course very subjective. I have never had the time to watch
    all the matches in a WC, or even all the knockout stage ones (though i
    have on a few occasions seen the majority of those).

As you say, all of this is very subjective. To me, "greatness" really means "memorable." Memorable matches, memorable events, memorable characters.

I put very little weight on the "quality" of the football (which, as I've said, I find it very difficult to judge), on how matches are decided, the stadiums, the atmosphere, and on whether the things that make the WC memorable are "good" (Maradona's
    second goal versus England, Zidane's masterclass versus Brazil in 2006, Casillas's save vs Robben) or "bad" (the Hand of God, Zidane's headbutt, Suarez vs Ghana, etc.)

Basically my question is: "If I were to write a history of the World Cup, how many pages would I write of each edition?"

Here is my list, for the WCs that I have watched.

1978: The Argentinian dictatorship and Cruyff's boycott(?), Bettega's goal, Gemmill's goal, Brazil's disallowed goal at the final whistle, Argentina-Peru 6-0 and Quiroga, Holland beating Italy and Zoff with two 30-yard efforts, Austria-Grermany, the post
    denying the Dutch the title in the final minute of the final.

1982: Outrageous pro-Spain refereeing, the Kuwaiti emir; Algeria beating Germany; the scandal of Gijon, Brazil's magical midfield, Brazil-Argentina and Maradona's red card, Gentile versus Maradona and Zico, Paolo Rossi's resurrection, Bruno Conti, Italy-
    Brazil, Poland beating the USSR, France-Germany, Schumacher-Battiston, Stielike's tears, Tardelli's scream

1986: Danish dynamite, Lobanovski's USSR, Morocco, Negrete's bycicle kick; France-Brazil; Zico, Socrates and Platini missing penalties; Maradona, the Hand of God, the second goal, Maradona versus Belgium; the final, Germany never dying and Burruchaga's
    goal.

1990: The three tenors; Cameroon's shock win over Argentina, but also their brutal defending; Schillaci; Germany-Netherlands and the Rijkaard-Voeller incident; Milla versus Higuita; Packie Bonner's penalty heroics; Maradona setting up Caniggia; Platt's
    goal; England vs Cameroon; Maradona getting booed all over Italy; Maradona urging the Napoli fans to root for Argentina, and then delivering; Klinsmann's dive in the final.

1994: The World Cup in the USA; Balboa's goal; Escobar :-(, Hagi's goal; Ray Houghton's goal; Baggio and Sacchi; Stoichkov, Lechkov and Bulgaria; Brazil-Netherlands; Bebeto and Romario's baby celebration; Baggio's resurrection vs Nigeria, Baggio's goal
    versus Spain; Tassotti and Luis Enrique; Baresi and Baggio missing their penalties in the final.

1998: Ronaldo; Morocco's gallant performance, only to be denied a 2nd round berth by a Brazil-Norway biscotto; Chilavert and Paraguay; Denmark and Laudrup; Germany's comeback against Mexico; Laurent Blanc's golden goal; Batistuta; England-Argentina, Owen'
    s dive, Beckham's sending off; Croatia crushing Germany; Netherlands-Argentina, Bergkamp's goal; Netherlands-Brazil in the semifinal; Thuram the unlikely hero; Ronaldo's meltdown; Zidane's two headed goals

2002: The World Cup in the Far East; the Korean fans; the outrageous pro-Korean refereeing; Rivaldo's acting; Senegal; France and Argentina crashing out in the group stage; Italy-Korea and the Ahn controversy; USA-Mexico and dos a ceroRaul looking from
    the sidelines as Spain couldn't get past Korea; Belgium giving Brazil a scare; Ronaldinho's goal against England; Kahn; Ballack getting a yellow that made him miss the final; Ronaldo's haircut (eek!); Ronaldo's goals in the final.

Starting around here, things start to get thinner. I don't know if it's because of me aging or because not enough time has gone by for us to accumulate the memories. Anyway, let's give it a go.

2006: The new Germany, De Rossi's elbow, Italy's defense; Henry; the last sparks of Ronaldo; Cambiasso's goal against Serbia; Grosso screwing the Aussies; Zidane's masterclass against Brazil; the battle of Gelsenkirchen; Argentina self-destructing
    aganinst Germany, Lehmann's cheat sheet; Italy-Germany; Pirlo's no look pass and Grosso's goal; DelPiero's goal, Cannavaro!, Zidane's headbutt.

2010: The first African cup; The vuvuzelas; France imploding; Super favorite Spain losing its first match and then going 1-0 the rest of the way (OK, not exactly); Xavi and Iniesta' Landon Donovan's goal; Suarez's handball versus Ghana; the young
    Germans destroying England and Argentina; Lampard's disallowed goal; Sneijder; Paraguay giving Spain a scare; De Jong's kung-fu foul, San Iker Casillas save versus Robben, Iniesta's goal for Spain's first World Cup. The triumph of tiki-taka.

2014: Suarez's bite; Costa Rica; James and Colombia; Neymar; David Luiz and Marcelo; Van Persie's diving header and Robben destroying Spain on the break; Messi's goal against Iran; Greece qualifying with a penalty in the last minute; Chile giving Brazil
    a scare in the round of 16; Robben's dive versus Mexico; Tim Howard almost singlehandedly stopping Belgium; Argentina-Switzerland: Messi's run and pass to set up Di Maria, Switzerland's missed chances to equalize; 7-1; Higuain's miss in the final. Messi'
    s miss against Neuer; Gotze's goal.

2018: Ronaldo's hattrick against Spain; Modric; Griezmann, Pogba and Mbappe; Messi with the crucial goal to get Argentina to the second round. Kroos's goal against Sweden to keep Germany alive; Germany crashing out in the group stages; Pavard's goal.
    Belgium's golden generation; Belgium-Japan; Belgium-Brazil; Uruguay-Portugal; England beating its demons and winning a penalty shootout; Croatia making it to the final with three consecutive 120-minute matches. Six goals in the final, but not really
    such a great match.

hmmm... this list ended up being much longer than I expected, and for some of the more recent world cups I needed wikipedia to refresh my memory...Aging, as I was saying...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Real Mardin@21:1/5 to All on Fri Dec 9 14:55:19 2022
    On Monday, December 5, 2022 at 3:55:35 AM UTC, MH wrote:

3) Some extra time games but no PKs

How are you enjoying the quarter finals so far? *s*

RM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Futbolmetrix@21:1/5 to Futbolmetrix on Fri Dec 9 15:33:27 2022
    On Monday, December 5, 2022 at 10:30:47 PM UTC-5, Futbolmetrix wrote:
    As you say, all of this is very subjective. To me, "greatness" really means "memorable." Memorable matches, memorable events, memorable characters.

Clearly NED-ARG 2022 gives a big boost to the memorability rating of this World Cup

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ion Saliu@21:1/5 to All on Sat Dec 10 04:17:44 2022
    On Friday, December 2, 2022 at 3:35:23 AM UTC+2, KaiserD2 wrote:

David K

Look no further than the year of grace 2022:

Sfârtaie (Quarterfinals)
    ------------------------------
    Croatia – Brazil 3 – 5 (PK)
    Netherlands – Argentina 5 – 6 (PK)
    • Without a doubt, the biggest day in World Cup history!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ion Saliu@21:1/5 to All on Sat Dec 10 04:20:42 2022
    one I've ever seen, and I've seen most of every WC since 1974.

David K

Look no further than the year of grace 2022 –

Sfârtaie (Quarterfinals)
    Croatia – Brazil 5 – 3 (PK)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ion Saliu@21:1/5 to Ion Saliu on Sat Dec 10 09:29:06 2022
    On Saturday, December 10, 2022 at 2:20:43 PM UTC+2, Ion Saliu wrote:
    one I've ever seen, and I've seen most of every WC since 1974.

David K

Look no further than the year of grace 2022 –

Sfârtaie (Quarterfinals)

Add to that most glorious day of this glorious World Cup, by the will of Allah, the most glorious victory of Morocco over Portugal 1 – 0.

This 2022 Morocco = Hungary-1954 of the 21st century. I had a feeling this 2022 Qatar tournament was organized for a PURPOSE.

"It was revealed to me the Fundamental Prayer to Almighty Number (FPAN):
    It is The Number and Its EternallyEnding Laws, and Formulae, and Equations that guide our steps in the Light, and in the Darkness.
    Speed equals Space over Time (v = s / t).
    May Almighty Number compress the Space or expand the Time and give us always our righteous Speed. And thusly we shall not jump above our thoughts or crawl beneath our feelings.
    For courage is about Space, hope is about Time, life is about Speed."

"For only Almighty Number is exactly the same, and at least the same, and at most the same, and randomly the same. May Its Almighty grant us in our testy day the righteous proportion of being at most unlikely the same and at least likely different. For
    our strength is in our inequities."

"May Almighty Number grant us always the divine proportion between our hopes and our endeavors! And thus we shall not count things we lapse and discount blessings we touch."

"May Almighty Number give us always the righteous count of consonants, and vowels, and syllables, and words. And thus our speech shall not be too short in any language, or too long in any dialect. For all the glory is in Number."

"For Almighty Number has not worshippers, but Eternal Students and Its offertory place is the BookHouse. May Its Almighty enlighten our dark pages and thus we shall see the Truth with the eyes of the night and embrace our dreams with the eyes of the day!"

https://saliu.com/philosophy/

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Real Mardin@21:1/5 to All on Sat Dec 10 09:22:36 2022
    So a World Cup that could have given us Croatia v Serbia, Portugal v Spain, Brazil v Argentina or even a Brazil v Portugal final has unravelled and we might now be looking at a Croatia v Morocco final.

As a long term supporter of African sides at World Cups I should be delighted at Morocco making history as the first African team in the semi-finals, but I somehow can't get excited about them. They're not particularly entertaining to watch and basically
    just defend all game. They're a bit like a less long ball version of Greece 2004.

It's also dawning on me that England could now win a World Cup beating Iran, Wales, Senegal, Morocco and Croatia. It's like we're living in some England fan's game of FIFA and he's cherry picked all the weaker sides to give him an easy route to the final.

Qatar 2022 - it's the worst World Cup ever.

RM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ion Saliu@21:1/5 to Real Mardin on Sat Dec 10 09:39:57 2022
    On Saturday, December 10, 2022 at 7:22:38 PM UTC+2, Real Mardin wrote:

RM
    Aksiyomatik:

Put that pipe away… that bottle too!

This 2022 Qatar World Cup is THE BEST EVER! Take it from the founder of Mathematical Atheism –

Sfârtaie (Quarterfinals)
    -------------------------------------

Morocco – Portugal 1 – 0 +425
    • "Do not bear the burden of the world [cup], for it belongs to Allah, and only bear one concern, how do you please Allah? Because if you please Allah, He will be pleased with you, your satisfaction, and your glorious victory!”
    • Add to that most glorious day of this glorious World Cup, by the will of Allah, the most glorious victory of Morocco over Portugal 1 – 0.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Blueshirt@21:1/5 to Real Mardin on Sat Dec 10 19:27:23 2022
    Real Mardin wrote:

It's also dawning on me that England could now win a World Cup
    beating Iran, Wales, Senegal, Morocco and Croatia. It's like we're
    living in some England fan's game of FIFA and he's cherry picked all
    the weaker sides to give him an easy route to the final.

Yeah, but in FIFA the England fan probably wouldn't have Harry Maguire
    in his defence, or if so, he'd have edited his attributes to make him a
    better player in the game than in real life! ;-)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Real Mardin@21:1/5 to Blueshirt on Sat Dec 10 12:00:39 2022
    On Saturday, December 10, 2022 at 7:27:26 PM UTC, Blueshirt wrote:
    Real Mardin wrote:

It's also dawning on me that England could now win a World Cup
    beating Iran, Wales, Senegal, Morocco and Croatia. It's like we're
    living in some England fan's game of FIFA and he's cherry picked all
    the weaker sides to give him an easy route to the final.
    Yeah, but in FIFA the England fan probably wouldn't have Harry Maguire
    in his defence, or if so, he'd have edited his attributes to make him a better player in the game than in real life! ;-)

LOL

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ion Saliu@21:1/5 to Ion Saliu on Sat Dec 10 13:25:11 2022
    On Saturday, December 10, 2022 at 7:39:59 PM UTC+2, Ion Saliu wrote:

RM
    Aksiyomatik:

This 2022 Qatar World Cup is THE BEST EVER! Take it from the founder of Mathematical Atheism –

Sfârtaie (Quarterfinals)

• "Do not bear the burden of the world [cup], for it belongs to Allah, and only bear one concern, how do you please Allah? Because if you please Allah, He will be pleased with you, your satisfaction, and your glorious victory!”
    • Add to that most glorious day of this glorious World Cup, by the will of Allah, the most glorious victory of Morocco over Portugal 1 – 0.
    “Real Mardin” is actually the current… President of Turkey… a former soccer goalkeeper! He had bet his heart (and all money!) on Turkey organizing the ULTIMATE soccer tournament! President Erdoğan, you need a whole lot more money to win that
    title…

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Real Mardin@21:1/5 to ions...@gmail.com on Sat Dec 10 14:07:59 2022
    On Saturday, December 10, 2022 at 9:25:13 PM UTC, ions...@gmail.com wrote:

RM
    Aksiyomatik:

Sfârtaie (Quarterfinals)

“Real Mardin” is actually the current… President of Turkey… a former soccer goalkeeper! He had bet his heart (and all money!) on Turkey organizing the ULTIMATE soccer tournament! President Erdoğan, you need a whole lot more money to win that
    title…

What are you talking about? Turkey has never bid to host the World Cup and to my knowledge hasn't expressed an intention to bid for it anytime soon. Turkey has made numerous failed applications to host the Euros and a couple of doomed bids to host the
    Olympics, which is a whole other story.

RM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Real Mardin@21:1/5 to All on Sat Dec 10 14:29:45 2022
    I'll say this much for Qatar 2022, it has given us the most diverse spread of semi finalists by confederation since 2002.

** 2002: Brazil (CONMEBOL), Germany (UEFA), South Korea (AFC), Turkey (UEFA) **

2006: France, Germany, Italy, Portugal (all UEFA)

2010: Germany, Netherlands, Spain (all UEFA), Uruguay (CONMEBOL)

2014: Argentina, Brazil (both CONMEBOL), Germany, Netherlands (both UEFA)

2018: Belgium, Croatia, England, France (all UEFA)

**2022: Argentina (CONMEBOL), Croatia (UEFA), France (UEFA), Morocco (CAF) **

The common link is 2002 was also hosted in AFC territory.

If diversity makes a good World Cup, then whatever the reason AFC delivers.

World Cup 2030 Saudi Arabia, anyone? *s* (although I shouldn't joke as they apparently want to co-host with Greece and Egypt!).

RM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ion Saliu@21:1/5 to Real Mardin on Sun Dec 11 05:13:40 2022
    On Sunday, December 11, 2022 at 12:08:00 AM UTC+2, Real Mardin wrote:
    On Saturday, December 10, 2022 at 9:25:13 PM UTC, ions...@gmail.com wrote:

RM
    Aksiyomatik:

Sfârtaie (Quarterfinals)

title…
    What are you talking about? Turkey has never bid to host the World Cup and to my knowledge hasn't expressed an intention to bid for it anytime soon. Turkey has made numerous failed applications to host the Euros and a couple of doomed bids to host the
    Olympics, which is a whole other story.

RM

President Erdoğan, aksiyomatik, your frustration is justified to a good measure. Turkey had the best record for a Muslim nation: the bronze medal in the 2002 Korea-Japan World Cup. The chance would have been higher for Turkey to win the title in a World
    Cup hosted by a brotherly Muslim nation. Alas! Turkey didn’t even make the final tournament (the curse of Ronaldo CR7… avenged by Morocco!)

But, hey, rejoice! Another brotherly Muslim nation has a chance to win it ALL: Morocco. I’ve always been puzzled: Why only the Christians won the World Cup? Why did the Catholics win so many titles — 16 out of 21? I’d be so pleased if Morocco would
    break that Vatican curse, at last!

"How do you please Allah? Because if you please Allah, He will be pleased with you!"

https://groups.google.com/g/rec.sport.soccer/c/PDvXIrB1zFk
    • Qatar 2022 - the English speaking World Cup? NO! The Catholic

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ion Saliu@21:1/5 to Real Mardin on Sun Dec 11 05:33:38 2022
    On Sunday, December 11, 2022 at 12:29:47 AM UTC+2, Real Mardin wrote:
    I'll say this much for Qatar 2022, it has given us the most diverse spread of semi finalists by confederation since 2002.

** 2002: Brazil (CONMEBOL), Germany (UEFA), South Korea (AFC), Turkey (UEFA) **

2006: France, Germany, Italy, Portugal (all UEFA)

2010: Germany, Netherlands, Spain (all UEFA), Uruguay (CONMEBOL)

2014: Argentina, Brazil (both CONMEBOL), Germany, Netherlands (both UEFA)

2018: Belgium, Croatia, England, France (all UEFA)

**2022: Argentina (CONMEBOL), Croatia (UEFA), France (UEFA), Morocco (CAF) **

The common link is 2002 was also hosted in AFC territory.

If diversity makes a good World Cup, then whatever the reason AFC delivers.

World Cup 2030 Saudi Arabia, anyone? *s* (although I shouldn't joke as they apparently want to co-host with Greece and Egypt!).

RM

Aksiyomatik:

Usually, the last competition is considered “the best of all time”. It is fresh in memory.

But this 2022 Qatar has witnessed some memorable events. There were upsets; but all tournaments register some big upsets. “Betting on upsets” is the only proven gambling system to make a profit in a final tournament (including UEFA European
    championship).
    https://groups.google.com/g/rec.sport.soccer/c/f2B8MDSqA00/m/T94VAOymCQAJ

Again, former world champions left the stage early (Germany, Spain, Uruguay); plus Belgium, FIFA-ranked #2 before the tournament.

But there was that first day of sfârtaie (quarterfinals). Two great games went to penalty kicks to determine the victorious sides. One loser was the 5-time world champion Brazil; the other loser was the 3-time runner-up Netherlands. Then, Morocco
    eliminated Portugal.

For that stage alone, the 2022 Qatar World Cup deserves to be considered “the best ever World Cup”.

And, hey, aksiyomatik, if Morocco wins the title…

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From KaiserD2@21:1/5 to All on Wed Dec 14 16:18:44 2022
    Well, having started the thread--at this point I think this is
    certainly the best WC since 1970 anyway. Lots of great drama on the
    last four days of the first round. Not too much excitement in the 8th
    finals but that in a way is how it should be. Then in the qfs a day
    of incredible drama followed on Saturday by two very dramatic matches, including an historic upset, decided in regulation. And then two
    excellent and decisive semi-finals setting up a classic great-power intercontinental final. I think France played easily their best game
    today and I give them the edge Sunday, but Argentina have also proven
    their worth. Interesting that both lost a group game (even though the
    French loss was meaningless.) This has been more than I would have
    hoped for.

David Kaiser

p.s. later I will do my own post on all the WCs I've seen, which for
    me goes back to 1974.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Real Mardin@21:1/5 to All on Wed Dec 14 13:39:44 2022
    On Wednesday, December 14, 2022 at 9:18:49 PM UTC, KaiserD2 wrote:
    Well, having started the thread--at this point I think this is
    certainly the best WC since 1970 anyway.

Better than 1990, 1994, 2002? Surely you jest?

Lots of great drama on the
    last four days of the first round.

Agreed.

Not too much excitement in the 8th
    finals

Agreed...

but that in a way is how it should be.

No, why should it be that way? One of the reasons Qatar 2022 has fallen flat is that the early promise of exciting matches and upset results wasn't carried through into the second round.

Then in the qfs a day
    of incredible drama followed on Saturday by two very dramatic matches, including an historic upset, decided in regulation.

I think you're getting carried away here.

Argentina v Netherlands was a dramatic game, I'll give you that. England v France had it's moments, but this was largely down to France clumsily giving away needless penalties and Kane subsequently missing the second penalty. Don't get me wrong, it was
    an ok game, but not a classic.

The Brazil v Croatia and Morocco v Portugal results are getting too much credit due to the less fancied sides winning and in the case of Portugal v Morocco history being made in so far as the match produced the first African World Cup semi finalists.
    However, both games were poor with Croatia and Morocco essentially defending for most of the game as if we were watching one long attack v defence drill. Neither were deserved winners and their progression imbalanced the semi finals in that you were left
    with two matches with a strong favourite against weaker opposition, with the strong favourite winning comfortably on both occasions. This further detracts from the quality of this World Cup. Not to mention that these upset quarter final results denied us
    what could have been two epic semi finals in Argentina v Brazil and France v Portugal. Further evidence that Qatar 2022 has failed to deliver.

And then two
    excellent and decisive semi-finals

See above. I fail to see what was "excellent" about two one sided semi finals, I'll give you that they were decisive but for the wrong reasons.

setting up a classic great-power
    intercontinental final.

We'd have had an intercontinental final if Croatia hadn't been so lucky against Brazil so I don't get your point here.

RM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Futbolmetrix@21:1/5 to Real Mardin on Wed Dec 14 14:27:42 2022
    On Wednesday, December 14, 2022 at 4:39:46 PM UTC-5, Real Mardin wrote:

I get it that you are a Turkey fan and therefore you will always have fond memories of 2002. But other than that, what was so special about that World Cup? Yes, the upsets in the first round. And Korea-Italy was a legitimately memorable match. Maybe also
    Sweden-Senegal.

But the latter part of the knockout stages in particular was absolutely abysmal. From the quarters onwards, 6 of the 7 meaningful matches saw only one of the two teams score. The scores: 2-1, 0-0, 1-0, 1-0 (a.e.t.), 1-0, 1-0, 2-0. Yawn.

What makes football matches memorable are the emotions associated with the score swinging from one side to the other. There was nothing of that in 2002. And in the one match where the score did swing (ENG-BRA), England's reaction was so pathetic after
    going down -- the final 20 minutes were a complete borefest.

Other world cups after that were not much better in this regard, but 2002 definitely stands out as the worst.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ion Saliu@21:1/5 to Futbolmetrix on Wed Dec 14 14:42:05 2022
    On Thursday, December 15, 2022 at 12:27:44 AM UTC+2, Futbolmetrix wrote:
    I get it that you are a Turkey fan and therefore you will always have fond memories of 2002. But other than that, what was so special about that World Cup? Yes, the upsets in the first round. And Korea-Italy was a legitimately memorable match. Maybe
    also Sweden-Senegal.

But the latter part of the knockout stages in particular was absolutely abysmal. From the quarters onwards, 6 of the 7 meaningful matches saw only one of the two teams score. The scores: 2-1, 0-0, 1-0, 1-0 (a.e.t.), 1-0, 1-0, 2-0. Yawn.

What makes football matches memorable are the emotions associated with the score swinging from one side to the other. There was nothing of that in 2002. And in the one match where the score did swing (ENG-BRA), England's reaction was so pathetic after
    going down -- the final 20 minutes were a complete borefest.

Other world cups after that were not much better in this regard, but 2002 definitely stands out as the worst.

Futitser:

Giorgio Chinaglia was an analyst for the American TV during the 2002 World Cup. He kinduv always said like: “There is only one team playing here — BRAZIL! Who’s gonna win a one-horse race?”

Lack of competition is the worst side of sport.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Real Mardin@21:1/5 to Futbolmetrix on Wed Dec 14 15:05:38 2022
    On Wednesday, December 14, 2022 at 10:27:44 PM UTC, Futbolmetrix wrote:
    I get it that you are a Turkey fan and therefore you will always have fond memories of 2002. But other than that, what was so special about that World Cup? Yes, the upsets in the first round. And Korea-Italy was a legitimately memorable match. Maybe
    also Sweden-Senegal.

It was an "open" World Cup in that at one point it genuinely felt like one of a number of teams could have won and it helped that some of those names weren't the usual suspects but new names like Senegal, South Korea and, yes, Turkey.

I believe I said it earlier in the thread but South Korea beat Portugal, Spain and Italy on their way to becoming the first Asian team in a World Cup semi final, which was a remarkable achievement. Likewise Senegal beating the defending champions France
    and then Sweden to become the second African team in a World Cup quarter final.

You make a point about the quarter finals being low scoring and with not many swings in scoreline but I recall all the quarter finals being tense, closely fought contests which to me creates an excitement of another kind. I've never subscribed to the
    view that a World Cup needs to produce an average of X goals per game to be regarded as a success.

If you want emotions and drama the Brazil v Turkey group stage game had controversy in abundance, also recall the fallout after South Korea eliminated Italy, with Ahn Jung-Hwan sacked by Perugia after he scored the winner.

The semi finals and final did fall a bit flat, I'll give you that, but other than that I really don't know what's not to like about the 2002 World Cup, which for the most part was a thoroughly entertaining tournament.

RM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Werner Pichler@21:1/5 to Real Mardin on Wed Dec 14 14:43:48 2022
    On Wednesday, December 14, 2022 at 10:39:46 PM UTC+1, Real Mardin wrote:
    On Wednesday, December 14, 2022 at 9:18:49 PM UTC, KaiserD2 wrote:

The Brazil v Croatia and Morocco v Portugal results are getting too much credit due to the less fancied sides winning and in the case of Portugal v Morocco history being made in so far as the match produced the
    first African World Cup semi finalists. However, both games were poor with Croatia and Morocco essentially defending for most of the game as if we were watching one long attack v defence drill. Neither were
    deserved winners and their progression imbalanced the semi finals in that you were left with two matches with a strong favourite against weaker opposition, with the strong favourite winning comfortably on both
    occasions. This further detracts from the quality of this World Cup.

Not to mention that these upset quarter final results denied us what could have been two epic semi finals in Argentina v Brazil and France v Portugal. Further evidence that Qatar 2022 has failed to deliver.

And then two excellent and decisive semi-finals

See above. I fail to see what was "excellent" about two one sided semi finals, I'll give you that they were decisive but for the wrong reasons.

Adding to what Daniele said, isn't that more or less what the 2002 semifinals were like?

Ciao,
    Werner

setting up a classic great-power intercontinental final.
    We'd have had an intercontinental final if Croatia hadn't been so lucky against Brazil so I don't get your point here.

RM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Futbolmetrix@21:1/5 to Real Mardin on Wed Dec 14 15:22:03 2022
    On Wednesday, December 14, 2022 at 6:05:40 PM UTC-5, Real Mardin wrote:

I believe I said it earlier in the thread but South Korea beat Portugal, Spain and Italy on their way to becoming the first Asian team in a World Cup semi final, which was a remarkable achievement.

Morocco beat Belgium, Spain and Portugal on their way to becoming the first African team in a World Cup semi final, which was a remarkable achievement.
    [Honestly, I don't see the difference]

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From KaiserD2@21:1/5 to All on Wed Dec 14 19:56:42 2022
    OK, my main memories:

1974: three superb teams, really, Holland, W. Germany, and Poland.
    The Poles were very unlucky to have to play the first half in their
    semi (in effect, although not formally) against the Germans on a
    soaked field--they couldn't string together passes. The Dutch were
    magnificent against Uruguay, Argentina, Bulgaria, and Brazil. Very
    dramatic final marred by the weak penalty call against the Dutch.

1978: My most dramatic day as a fan was the last day of play
    before the final, watching on closed circuit in a packed Boston movie
    theater. First the Dutch come from behind to beat Italy 2-1 on Arie
    Haan's incredible 40-yard shot. Then Brazil puts itself in the
    driver's seat in other group with a 3-1 victory over Poland. Then the Argentians, needing a four goal win against Peru, come out like they
    are on speed (which they surely were) and manage it--the fix was in. I
    didn't see the final, another Dutch tragedy, for years later.

1982: Brazil consistently played the most wonderful
    football I have ever seen and looked unstoppable but the Italians
    genuinely outplayed them in the last second-group game. Then came the
    awful France-W. Germany semi in which Schumacher almost literally got
    away with murder--the French should have won that one, and Charles
    Coerver should never have refereed another game.

1986: The Danish team established their pattern for the
    next 20 years or so: dominate the group stage, then crash. France and
    Brazil played a classic, as did Belgium and USSR. England
    undeservedly lost to Argentina and Maradona's cheating, but Argentina deservedly beat the Germans.

1990 One of the most boring overall. Best match was
    England W. Germany in which the Germans' only goal was from a very
    lucky free kick. Everyone knew Brehme was going to take it, Paul
    Parker charged him, and the shot hit him and then parabolaed into the
    net. Shilton didn't have a chance. In the previous round the
    England-Cameroun match was fabulous, with Cameroun taking a 2-1 lead
    in the second half before losing. Also memorable: Columbia had to tie
    Germany in the last group game to go through. They fell behind 1-0
    with a few minutes left and then equalized on the most thrilling goal
    I ever saw in injury time. Both semis went to penalties and the
    final was the worst of all time.

1994 for the first time I saw two games at Foxboro. Nigeria was
    briefly a revelation, then crashed. Argentina had their two strikers
    kicked out for cocaine. Bulgaria beat the Germans and was unlucky not
    to beat the Italians. Brazil, though conservative, advanced steadily.
    Another boring final.

1998 Begins with an incredible Spain-Nigeria match. Nigeria won
    their group, then crashed. Croatia in their first WC beats the
    Germans and led the French in the semis. The Dutch get revenge for
    1978 against ARgentina in the quarterfinal thanks to Bergkamp's
    incredible winner but can't hold their lead against Brazil. The
    French prevail against Croatia and Brazil without a great deal of
    offensive talent.

2002 Senegal-Uruguay and Senegal-Sweden were fantastic matches.
    Brazil puts on a show against England and later against Costa Rica and
    very deservedly wins the final. The US reaches the quarters and
    South Korea the semis. Lots of refereeing controversies. Not a great tournament.

2006 After rooting for the Dutch for 32 years I gave up on them when
    they, apparently acting on Marco Van Basten's orders, calculatedly put
    young Ronaldo out of the game 15 minutes into it against Portugal. The
    game disintegrates from there with at least 2 red cards, I believe,
    but Portugal wins and makes it to the semis. The real highlight and
    the real final the tournament was the incredible 2-0 Italy win over
    the home side in the semi--the best Italian performance I have ever
    seen. In the previous round Germany had been lucky to beat Argentina
    on penalties.

2010 Diego Forlan had the greatest tournament of any forward I've ever
    seen except perhaps Maradona and nearly got Uruguay into the final.
    Helped by Suarez's hand of course. Spain played just well enough to
    win throughout. Germany was impressive demolishing Argentina and
    England in successive rounds, but couldn't get by the Spaniards. The
    Dutch disgusted me and my contemporary Johann Cruyff in the finals
    with rough play. If the ref had sent off van Bommel early in the first
    half, as he certainly should have, it might have been a good match.

2014 The group of death--Uruguay, England, Italy, Costa Rica--was
    very entertaining, as England and Italy crashed out. The refs
    shamelessly favored Brazil, and Arjen Robben cheated the Dutch all the
    way to the semi-final, earning soft penalties. US v. Belgium was a
    dramatic match and the US might actually have won. They had reached
    the knock-outs thanks to Landon Donovan's last-second goal against
    Algeria. Brazil lost Neymar and calculatedy put James Rodriguez out
    of commission against Colombia. They deserved their thrashing from
    Germany who at least won the dull final in regulation.

2018 this one had as many dramatic matches as anyone, from Spain v.
    Portugal through Uruguay-Portugal, France-Argentina, Belgium Japan
    (Japan led 2-0, Belgium won 3-2 in normal time), Belgium-Brazil, and
    even France-Belgium when the Belgians were quite unlucky. England was
    never all that impressive; Croatia was lucky but also played some
    great stuff, against ARgentina, against England, and in the final,
    before the unfortunate penalty call. France deserved it.

Again this year compares well with any of them overall. I'm really
    sad they are expanding to 48 teams--just when 31 out of the 32 teams
    this year turned out to be very competitive.

David K

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Real Mardin@21:1/5 to Futbolmetrix on Wed Dec 14 23:30:02 2022
    On Wednesday, December 14, 2022 at 11:22:05 PM UTC, Futbolmetrix wrote:
    On Wednesday, December 14, 2022 at 6:05:40 PM UTC-5, Real Mardin wrote:

I believe I said it earlier in the thread but South Korea beat Portugal, Spain and Italy on their way to becoming the first Asian team in a World Cup semi final, which was a remarkable achievement.
    Morocco beat Belgium, Spain and Portugal on their way to becoming the first African team in a World Cup semi final, which was a remarkable achievement.
    [Honestly, I don't see the difference]

Yes, when you look at the results on paper you’re correct. But then look at how South Korea played compared to Morocco, who basically just get 10 men behind the ball and play for penalties.

I enjoyed South Korea 2002. I didn’t enjoy Morocco 2022. If others feel differently so be it.

RM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Real Mardin@21:1/5 to All on Sun Dec 18 14:30:54 2022
    Well I have to accept that today's brilliant final has no doubt elevated Qatar 2022's status in the league of World Cups.

Objectively, I'd say Qatar 2022 gave us memorable group stage matches and the best World Cup final I've ever watched. However, the games in between the group stage and final were for the most part boring or of poor quality and notwithstanding Morocco's
    history making exploits, the early promise of seeing a diverse range of teams in the later stages wasn't really realised. A lack of truly epic match ups in the later stages also prevents this World Cup from being considered one of the great ones in my
    view (Argentina v Brazil and Portugal v Spain were possibilities but didn't materialise).

Not the worst World Cup, but far from being the best.

RM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05