• WC 2022 Day 7: TUN-AUS, POL-SAU, FRA-DEN ARG-MEX [R]

From Real Mardin@21:1/5 to All on Fri Nov 25 14:30:40 2022
    If Saudi Arabia win again they're through to the next round.

If Argentina lose again they'll be eliminated.

Likewise France can secure a second round spot with a win and Australia will be out if they lose to Tunisia.

Should be a great atmosphere at Argentina - Mexico. I remember their 2006 World Cup second round match being one of the best matches at that World Cup.

RM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Futbolmetrix@21:1/5 to Real Mardin on Sat Nov 26 03:55:45 2022
    On Friday, November 25, 2022 at 5:30:42 PM UTC-5, Real Mardin wrote:

TUN-AUS 0-1

6 minutes of injury time left. I guess home continent advantage matters more than home language advantage (yeah, yeah, Tunisian Arabic is probably very different from Qatari Arabic...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark@21:1/5 to Real Mardin on Sat Nov 26 03:29:32 2022
    On Friday, November 25, 2022 at 10:30:42 PM UTC, Real Mardin wrote:

Should be a great atmosphere at Argentina - Mexico. I remember their 2006 World Cup second round match being one of the best matches at that World Cup.

I thought that was the best match of that tournament. It had possibly the best goal of that tournament too.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Binder Dundat@21:1/5 to Futbolmetrix on Sat Nov 26 05:49:28 2022
    How many Poles does it take to score a goal? Remember when Polish jokes were all the rage.

How many Poles does it take to give up a penal? terrible penal and terrible miss from the rebound.

10 mins of extra time????

OK maybe I missed something, I am only half watching and hungover, but 10 mins?

On Saturday, November 26, 2022 at 6:55:47 a.m. UTC-5, Futbolmetrix wrote:

TUN-AUS 0-1

6 minutes of injury time left. I guess home continent advantage matters more than home language advantage (yeah, yeah, Tunisian Arabic is probably very different from Qatari Arabic...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Al Kamista@21:1/5 to Real Mardin on Sat Nov 26 06:26:16 2022
    On Saturday, November 26, 2022 at 9:19:51 AM UTC-5, Real Mardin wrote:
    On Saturday, November 26, 2022 at 1:49:30 PM UTC, Binder Dundat wrote:
    How many Poles does it take to score a goal? Remember when Polish jokes were all the rage.

How many Poles does it take to give up a penal? terrible penal and terrible miss from the rebound.

TUN-AUS 0-1

Poland - so far - (52 minutes gone) look a proper Eurocrotto side offering nothing other than sitting back on a very fortunate 1-0 lead. Saudi Arabia are playing the better football and despite their missed penalty are at least entertaining.

RM

This Saudi team is legit.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Real Mardin@21:1/5 to Binder Dundat on Sat Nov 26 06:19:49 2022

TUN-AUS 0-1

Poland - so far - (52 minutes gone) look a proper Eurocrotto side offering nothing other than sitting back on a very fortunate 1-0 lead. Saudi Arabia are playing the better football and despite their missed penalty are at least entertaining.

RM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Al Kamista@21:1/5 to Al Kamista on Sat Nov 26 06:50:14 2022
    On Saturday, November 26, 2022 at 9:26:17 AM UTC-5, Al Kamista wrote:

TUN-AUS 0-1

RM

A sloppy mistake at the back and Lewandowski makes it 2-0. Game over.

This group is as wide open as Kim Kardashian's legs.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Binder Dundat@21:1/5 to alka...@hotmail.com on Sat Nov 26 08:54:22 2022
    My Dark Horse pick Denmark have not really done very much, they showed some signs of life in the last 10 minutes maybe, but France seems comfortable so far and it seems only a matter of time before they score.

Would not be surprised to see France repeat as WM winners.

On Saturday, November 26, 2022 at 9:50:16 a.m. UTC-5, alka...@hotmail.com wrote:

TUN-AUS 0-1

RM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Futbolmetrix@21:1/5 to All on Sat Nov 26 08:50:11 2022
    On Saturday, November 26, 2022 at 9:50:16 AM UTC-5, alka...@hotmail.com wrote:

France looking better than what I expected (and Denmark worse), but still 0-0 at the half.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Real Mardin@21:1/5 to Binder Dundat on Sat Nov 26 09:13:41 2022
    On Saturday, November 26, 2022 at 4:54:24 PM UTC, Binder Dundat wrote:
    My Dark Horse pick Denmark have not really done very much, they showed some signs of life in the last 10 minutes maybe, but France seems comfortable so far and it seems only a matter of time before they score.

Just how pointless is this Danish “protest “ kit? Big deal, there are no colours on the badge, but the kit has the Danish flag on! Completely undermines the attempt to disassociate Denmark from the tournament.

On a more positive level it’s great to see Eriksen playing for his national team at a World Cup.

RM

On Saturday, November 26, 2022 at 9:50:16 a.m. UTC-5, alka...@hotmail.com wrote:

TUN-AUS 0-1

RM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Binder Dundat@21:1/5 to Binder Dundat on Sat Nov 26 10:46:15 2022
    On Saturday, November 26, 2022 at 11:54:24 a.m. UTC-5, Binder Dundat wrote:

They did make it interesting for about 10 minutes, but France were too strong. It is now up to Portugal to be a first time winner. My plans to protest Qatar’s ban on alcohol consumption by being drunk for the entire tournament is really getting
    difficult. No one ever mentions the hangovers! 

So next up, Messi's Revenge or Messi's Adios?

TUN-AUS 0-1

RM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From KaiserD2@21:1/5 to real_mardin@yahoo.co.uk on Sat Nov 26 13:15:33 2022
    Denmark-France--match of the tournament so far. Just fantastic. Very
    clean and well-refereed as well. France has an incredible set of
    strikers, I'm not sure I have ever seen a better one except maybe
    Brazil 1970 on tapes. Imbappe, in addition to his other virtues, is
    one of the most ambidextrous players I have ever seen.

Someone said the Saudis missed the second shot on their penalty--NOT.
    I thought so too until I saw the replay--it was a fantastic double
    save.

Yes, Mexico-Argentina in 2006 was fantastic and should be again,
    because they basically play the same short pass, ball control style,
    and very stylishly too.

David K

On Sat, 26 Nov 2022 09:13:41 -0800 (PST), Real Mardin
    <real_mardin@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

On Saturday, November 26, 2022 at 4:54:24 PM UTC, Binder Dundat wrote:

Just how pointless is this Danish “protest “ kit? Big deal, there are no colours on the badge, but the kit has the Danish flag on! Completely undermines the attempt to disassociate Denmark from the tournament.

On a more positive level it’s great to see Eriksen playing for his national team at a World Cup.

RM

On Saturday, November 26, 2022 at 9:19:51 AM UTC-5, Real Mardin wrote: >> > > > On Saturday, November 26, 2022 at 1:49:30 PM UTC, Binder Dundat wrote: >> > > > > How many Poles does it take to score a goal? Remember when Polish jokes were all the rage.

TUN-AUS 0-1

RM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Binder Dundat@21:1/5 to Binder Dundat on Sat Nov 26 11:27:45 2022
    We all know CONCACAF is the Rockingest confederation in FIFA, but did you know it is also the most innovative. Take today for example, Mexico applied the most genius innovation of this WC. The dual Corner kick takers, one a lefty and one a righty.
    Just plain genius! Some might say you are losing an attacker in a box or that it means you have one less player to defend a quick counter attack, but you get the opponents so confused that none of those things matter.

On Saturday, November 26, 2022 at 1:46:17 p.m. UTC-5, Binder Dundat wrote:
    They did make it interesting for about 10 minutes, but France were too strong. It is now up to Portugal to be a first time winner. My plans to protest Qatar’s ban on alcohol consumption by being drunk for the entire tournament is really getting

So next up, Messi's Revenge or Messi's Adios?

TUN-AUS 0-1

RM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Real Mardin@21:1/5 to Binder Dundat on Sat Nov 26 13:32:15 2022
    On Saturday, November 26, 2022 at 6:46:17 PM UTC, Binder Dundat wrote:
    They did make it interesting for about 10 minutes, but France were too strong. It is now up to Portugal to be a first time
    winner. My plans to protest Qatar’s ban on alcohol consumption by being drunk for the entire tournament is really getting

So far I've only had a beer watching England - Iran and Argentina - Mexico. But that's two more beers than the fans in the ground have had!

RM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Real Mardin@21:1/5 to All on Sat Nov 26 13:27:24 2022
    Just noticed this is a results thread with no actual results!

Tunisia 0 - Australia 1

Poland 2 - Saudi Arabia 0

These games felt somewhat unsatisfying in that the more entertaining sides didn't win. Both games saw the less exuberant side take the lead the basically just sit on it. Poland did hit the post a couple of times on the counter attack after going ahead
    and Lewandowski got his first World Cup goal after a Saudi defender basically passed the ball to him but there was an overwhelming aura of "Eurocrotto" about them. Argentina and Saudi Arabia would offer the tournament more if they got through the group,
    maybe Mexico too.

France 2 - Denmark 1

France become the first team to guarantee their place in the second round.

Argentina 2 - Mexico 0

Absolutely incredible atmosphere even if the game was a little one sided. Both Argentina and Mexico can still go through.

RM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Futbolmetrix@21:1/5 to Real Mardin on Sat Nov 26 16:12:33 2022
    On Saturday, November 26, 2022 at 4:27:26 PM UTC-5, Real Mardin wrote:

France 2 - Denmark 1

France become the first team to guarantee their place in the second round.

Very impressive win by France.

Argentina 2 - Mexico 0

Absolutely incredible atmosphere even if the game was a little one sided. Both Argentina and Mexico can still go through.

The game was borderline unwatchable, if not for the tension of Argentina and Messi risking to go out. Argentina was absolutely dreadful in the first half, and only marginally better in the second, and they needed a bit of Messi magic (and what magic it
    was!) to bail them out. I guess having Messi is better than not having Messi.

Argentina now back to being favorites to qualify, and qualify in first place (even though Poland will be a tough nut to crack). That will likely put them in the Brazil-Spain side of the draw. In other words, hard to see them get past the semis.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Werner Pichler@21:1/5 to Binder Dundat on Sat Nov 26 20:04:46 2022
    On Saturday, November 26, 2022 at 8:27:46 PM UTC+1, Binder Dundat wrote:

We all know CONCACAF is the Rockingest confederation in FIFA, but did you know it is also the most innovative.

I couldn't help but notice that the rockingest confederation has so far scored one goal in six matches.

Ciao,
    Werner

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark@21:1/5 to Futbolmetrix on Sun Nov 27 03:45:26 2022
    On Sunday, November 27, 2022 at 12:12:34 AM UTC, Futbolmetrix wrote:
    On Saturday, November 26, 2022 at 4:27:26 PM UTC-5, Real Mardin wrote:

Argentina 2 - Mexico 0

The game was borderline unwatchable, if not for the tension of Argentina and Messi risking to go out. Argentina was absolutely dreadful in the first half, and only marginally better in the second, and they needed a bit of Messi magic (and what magic it
    was!) to bail them out. I guess having Messi is better than not having Messi.

Argentina now back to being favorites to qualify, and qualify in first place (even though Poland will be a tough nut to crack). That will likely put them in the Brazil-Spain side of the draw. In other words, hard to see them get past the semis.

Argentina didn't play very well. Fortunately Mexico didn't play well either. Were Argentina that bad against Saudi Arabia?, or was it a case of that result denting their confidence, or what?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Futbolmetrix@21:1/5 to Werner Pichler on Sun Nov 27 03:39:02 2022
    On Saturday, November 26, 2022 at 11:04:48 PM UTC-5, Werner Pichler wrote:

We all know CONCACAF is the Rockingest confederation in FIFA, but did you know it is also the most innovative.
    I couldn't help but notice that the rockingest confederation has so far scored one goal in six matches.

well played, sir.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Binder Dundat@21:1/5 to Werner Pichler on Sun Nov 27 03:57:57 2022
    On Saturday, November 26, 2022 at 11:04:48 p.m. UTC-5, Werner Pichler wrote:

Ciao,
    Werner

CONCACAF is a highly tactical confederation, it is very complex and can not be understood by mere mortals and as we all know, scoring goals means nothing in football.

having said that Costa Rica just doubled the goal output.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From vedran@21:1/5 to Binder Dundat on Sun Nov 27 13:09:03 2022
    On 27.11.2022. 12:57, Binder Dundat wrote:

And Lovren is expected to start today again.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Binder Dundat@21:1/5 to vedran on Sun Nov 27 04:41:28 2022
    On Sunday, November 27, 2022 at 7:09:06 a.m. UTC-5, vedran wrote:

As you would expect, all sorts of Soap Operas in the WM. Klinsmann has upset Iran and Quieroz calling them divers and play actors and Hedman has upset the whole nation of Croatia. The funny thing is outside of Kanada, I have not really heard anything
    about Hedman and his F... Croatia comment . Of course here on the Iceberg, the coverage is non stop, lots of pregame hype. Kanada is revelling in the glory of losing 1-0 to Belgium!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From vedran@21:1/5 to Binder Dundat on Sun Nov 27 14:12:19 2022
    On 27.11.2022. 13:41, Binder Dundat wrote:

As you would expect, all sorts of Soap Operas in the WM. Klinsmann has upset Iran and Quieroz calling them divers and play actors and Hedman has upset the whole nation of Croatia.

Obviously it has been covered here as well, I don't mind, they talk like
    that in private anyway.
    Publicly it was mostly condemning, but people are aware it's quite
    possible Canada could F us considering
    how we played in the first match and would want Dalic to act more like
    Herdman, he is not much of a motivator.

The biggest soap opera however is this https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/z5e6tw/serbia_face_fifa_disciplinary_over_kosovo_flag/

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Werner Pichler@21:1/5 to Futbolmetrix on Sun Nov 27 06:27:25 2022
    On Sunday, November 27, 2022 at 12:39:04 PM UTC+1, Futbolmetrix wrote:
    On Saturday, November 26, 2022 at 11:04:48 PM UTC-5, Werner Pichler wrote:

well played, sir.

I now expect at least a gift basket from the Costa Rican Football Federation.

Ciao,
    Werner

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark@21:1/5 to Binder Dundat on Mon Nov 28 01:30:24 2022
    On Sunday, November 27, 2022 at 11:57:59 AM UTC, Binder Dundat wrote:
    On Saturday, November 26, 2022 at 11:04:48 p.m. UTC-5, Werner Pichler wrote:

Ciao,
    Werner
    CONCACAF is a highly tactical confederation, it is very complex and can not be understood by mere mortals and as we all know, scoring goals means nothing in football.

Only if you're playing for a draw and don't concede any.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From vedran@21:1/5 to vedran on Mon Nov 28 14:40:13 2022
    On 27.11.2022. 13:09, vedran wrote:

Lovren just said he is mad Russia isn't on the WC and that they
    should have been allowed despite the invasion (for some reason
    last part was deleted later).
    He's being hammered for this statement, too bad we have to deal
    with this as well as Borjan's case.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05