• WC 2022 Day 6: WAL-IRN, QAT-SEN, ECU-NED, ENG-USA [R]

From Real Mardin@21:1/5 to All on Fri Nov 25 04:13:43 2022
    Wales 0 -Iran 2 FT

This felt more like a knockout round game with both sides cagey and afraid to lose.

Iran created more chances in the second half, hit the post twice. Looked much more energetic than the side who collapsed to England.

Welsh keeper Hennessy sent off with about 10 minutes left for taking out the last man, thought it was a bit tight myself as I thought Necon Williams was level with him, there wasn’t a lot in it.

Despite this and despite having Welsh heritage I thought a draw would have flattered Wales and Iran taking the lead with a 99th minute long distance effort was thoroughly deserved. Iran made the man advantage count with a A fluid counter attacking move a
    couple of minutes later.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Futbolmetrix@21:1/5 to Real Mardin on Fri Nov 25 04:20:39 2022
    On Friday, November 25, 2022 at 7:13:45 AM UTC-5, Real Mardin wrote:
    Wales 0 -Iran 2 FT
    Despite this and despite having Welsh heritage I thought a draw would have flattered Wales and Iran taking the lead with a
    99th minute long distance effort was thoroughly deserved. Iran made the man advantage count with a A fluid counter
    attacking move a couple of minutes later.

With all the mega-injury-times added on, this was the first result-changing goal in injury time in the tournament. Those goals are the essence of football, let's hope for more!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From vedran@21:1/5 to Futbolmetrix on Fri Nov 25 13:51:16 2022
    On 25.11.2022. 13:20, Futbolmetrix wrote:

With all the mega-injury-times added on, this was the first result-changing goal

First red card on the tournament too, but we should expect more of them
    from now on, especially next Friday.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Futbolmetrix@21:1/5 to vedran on Fri Nov 25 07:03:26 2022
    On Friday, November 25, 2022 at 7:51:23 AM UTC-5, vedran wrote:
    On 25.11.2022. 13:20, Futbolmetrix wrote:

With all the mega-injury-times added on, this was the first result-changing goal
    First red card on the tournament too, but we should expect more of them
    from now on, especially next Friday.

FT: QTR - SEN 1-3

Hosts will be the first team eliminated from the WC if NED wins or draws, while they would still have a remote chance if Ecuador wins.

Qatar had a strong PK appeal when the score was 0-0. The emirs should have kept some money on the side to bribe the refs...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Real Mardin@21:1/5 to All on Fri Nov 25 07:05:42 2022
    FT:

Qatar 1 - Senegal 3

Same old Qatar in the first half, but to give them credit they did create some chances in the second, Mendy had to make a couple of good saves. Senegal did what they failed to do against the Netherlands, which was to put away their chances.

So after $220bn spent on hosting the World Cup Qatar have played two, lost two and if Ecuador and Netherlands draw later today Qatar will be eliminated from their own World Cup.

RM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Real Mardin@21:1/5 to Real Mardin on Fri Nov 25 07:25:50 2022
    On Friday, November 25, 2022 at 3:05:44 PM UTC, Real Mardin wrote:
    FT:

Qatar 1 - Senegal 3

Same old Qatar in the first half, but to give them credit they did create some chances in the second, Mendy had to make a couple of good saves. Senegal did what they failed to do against the Netherlands, which was to put away their chances.

So after $220bn spent on hosting the World Cup Qatar have played two, lost two and if Ecuador and Netherlands draw later today Qatar will be eliminated from their own World Cup.

Or indeed if Netherlands beat Ecuador.

RM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Futbolmetrix@21:1/5 to Real Mardin on Fri Nov 25 09:06:55 2022
    On Friday, November 25, 2022 at 10:25:52 AM UTC-5, Real Mardin wrote:
    FT:

Qatar 1 - Senegal 3

Netherlands up 1-0 at the half. Ecuador had goal disallowed in the dying minutes for a debatable (but I think ultimately correct) "interfering with play" offside call.

I'm peeking at this with one eye. ECU is not rolling down tamely, this could still go either way.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Futbolmetrix@21:1/5 to Futbolmetrix on Fri Nov 25 09:10:48 2022
    On Friday, November 25, 2022 at 12:06:56 PM UTC-5, Futbolmetrix wrote:
    FT:

Qatar 1 - Senegal 3

Netherlands up 1-0 at the half. Ecuador had goal disallowed in the dying minutes for a debatable (but I think ultimately correct) "interfering with play" offside call.

I'm peeking at this with one eye. ECU is not rolling down tamely, this could still go either way.

Weaufx Gods these days are not what they used to be...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Futbolmetrix@21:1/5 to Real Mardin on Fri Nov 25 10:10:48 2022
    On Friday, November 25, 2022 at 12:59:35 PM UTC-5, Real Mardin wrote:

FT Netherlands 1 - Ecuador 1

Ecuador had some good chances but star striker Valencia went off injured at the end.

Ecuador pretty much dominated this one. Quite a poor showing from the Netherlands. With Argentina not too likely to finish top of Group C, taking top spot in this group could pave a highway to the semifinal. It could very well be Ecuador.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Real Mardin@21:1/5 to Futbolmetrix on Fri Nov 25 09:59:34 2022
    On Friday, November 25, 2022 at 5:10:50 PM UTC, Futbolmetrix wrote:
    On Friday, November 25, 2022 at 12:06:56 PM UTC-5, Futbolmetrix wrote:
    FT:

Qatar 1 - Senegal 3

Weaufx Gods these days are not what they used to be...

Ecuador had some good chances but star striker Valencia went off injured at the end.

Qatar officially out of Qatar 2022!

Looks like Senegal will need to beat Ecuador in the last game to qualify.

RM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jesus Petry@21:1/5 to All on Fri Nov 25 10:20:46 2022
    Em sexta-feira, 25 de novembro de 2022 às 15:10:50 UTC-3, Futbolmetrix escreveu:
    On Friday, November 25, 2022 at 12:59:35 PM UTC-5, Real Mardin wrote:

Ecuador pretty much dominated this one. Quite a poor showing from the Netherlands. With Argentina not too likely to finish top of Group C, taking top spot in this group could pave a highway to the semifinal. It could very well be Ecuador.

Yes. Too bad Valencia got injured again.

Tchau!
    Jesus Petry

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Real Mardin@21:1/5 to All on Fri Nov 25 13:32:00 2022
    FT:

England 0 - USA 0

Despite Iran losing 6-2 to England and Wales losing 2-0 to Iran and USA not yet having won a game all four teams can still go through. If Wales beat England and Iran and USA draw three teams will have four points. Tie breakers will be goal difference,
    goals scored, points obtained between the teams in question , goal difference in matches scored between the teams in question , goals scored n matches scored between the teams in question, fair play points and the drawing of lots (in that order).

RM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Real Mardin@21:1/5 to Real Mardin on Fri Nov 25 13:42:02 2022
    On Friday, November 25, 2022 at 9:32:02 PM UTC, Real Mardin wrote:
    FT:

England 0 - USA 0

Despite Iran losing 6-2 to England and Wales losing 2-0 to Iran and USA not yet having won a game all four teams can still go through. If Wales beat England and Iran and USA draw three teams will have four points. Tie breakers will be goal difference,
    goals scored, points obtained between the teams in question , goal difference in matches scored between the teams in question , goals scored n matches scored between the teams in question, fair play points and the drawing of lots (in that order).

From a Wales perspective a 1-0 win over England would see them through if Iran and USA draw.

RM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From KaiserD2@21:1/5 to real_mardin@yahoo.co.uk on Fri Nov 25 18:26:28 2022
    I've been watching the WC since 1974. I'm an American. This is the
    first time the US has a team that really looks like it belongs in the tournament. They definitely outplayed England and would have deserved
    a win, just as Ecuador would have against the Netherlands. I think
    England must be fairly shaken--and I don't think either team would
    look forward to playing Ecuador, either.

It will be interesting to see if Wales can rise to the occasion and
    the US must also not take Iran lightly. They are bigger and stronger
    than the US. Incidentally, a very sophisticated US stats website said
    that group B was the group of death, and it's beginning to look as if
    they may have been right.

David K

On Fri, 25 Nov 2022 13:42:02 -0800 (PST), Real Mardin
    <real_mardin@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

On Friday, November 25, 2022 at 9:32:02 PM UTC, Real Mardin wrote:
    FT:

England 0 - USA 0

From a Wales perspective a 1-0 win over England would see them through if Iran and USA draw.

RM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark V.@21:1/5 to All on Fri Nov 25 22:25:45 2022
    On Friday, November 25, 2022 at 6:26:36 PM UTC-5, KaiserD2 wrote:
    I've been watching the WC since 1974. I'm an American. This is the
    first time the US has a team that really looks like it belongs in the tournament. They definitely outplayed England and would have deserved
    a win, just as Ecuador would have against the Netherlands. I think
    England must be fairly shaken--and I don't think either team would
    look forward to playing Ecuador, either.

It will be interesting to see if Wales can rise to the occasion and
    the US must also not take Iran lightly. They are bigger and stronger
    than the US. Incidentally, a very sophisticated US stats website said
    that group B was the group of death, and it's beginning to look as if
    they may have been right.

David K

Aside from having been in the room with half-an-eye on the game on a couple of occasions, I haven't really sat down and intently watched a US game since 2014. What the hell happened here? They have a good team!

Although I was always excited to see them win in the past, i can't say that any of their WC wins really sat that well with me. This team is different. I saw effective passing, frequent control of the midfield, dangerous runs, a pretty well-organized
    defense, and all with good athletes. I struggled to find their commanding striker (I assume they don't have one?), but otherwise they looked good.

Even Southgate, when lauding his center-back pair after the game, described the US attack as coming from angles that make it "unbelievably difficult to defend against"! WTF? The US?

I'm not sure about your article's "group of death" claim. Maybe they define it differently? I always thought that a death group was a group in which at least two potential finalists and at least one third very good team wound up, through the draw, in the
    same group. But I do see that this is a tough group!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05