• Shirt #12 in World Cups

From =?UTF-8?B?TGzDqW8=?=@21:1/5 to All on Tue Nov 8 14:06:08 2022
    A few days ago Binder said I'd have trouble finding more than one interesting player for #12.

And... he's kinda right, you know. This is a tough number. It is usually
    given to reserve goalkeepers, so there's that. The number usually reminded me of Marco van Basten, but he wore it in Euro'88 and, by WC'90,had already switched to #9.

However, although few, there are very worthy players bearing this number.
    The most famous of course being France's Thierry Henry, twice WC finalist, #12's top goalscorer (6 goals) and the man who wore it for most World Cups: four, from 1998 to 2010. Another twice-finalist (also with a golden and a silver medal) is Germany's Wolfgang Overath, Germany's #12 from 1966 to 1974. Honourable mentions to Alain Giresse, member of France's "carre magique" midfield of the early 1980's and, given there are so many keepers using it,
    to Argentina's Sergio Goycoechea, who started WC'90 as a sub and became an unlikely hero as he saved key penalties on Argentina's path to that Cup's final.

And that's it for #12, I guess. Too bad as it's one of my favorite numbers,
    but it is what it is. If you think there are other mentionworthy players,
    by all means bring them up. And tomorrow we get to #11, in which I guess
    the plot will considerably thicken.

Best regards,

Lléo

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Binder Dundat@21:1/5 to All on Tue Nov 8 19:08:20 2022
    On Tuesday, November 8, 2022 at 5:06:10 p.m. UTC-5, Lléo wrote:
    A few days ago Binder said I'd have trouble finding more than one interesting
    player for #12.

And... he's kinda right, you know. This is a tough number. It is usually given to reserve goalkeepers, so there's that. The number usually reminded me
    of Marco van Basten, but he wore it in Euro'88 and, by WC'90,had already switched to #9.

However, although few, there are very worthy players bearing this number. The most famous of course being France's Thierry Henry, twice WC finalist, #12's top goalscorer (6 goals) and the man who wore it for most World Cups: four, from 1998 to 2010. Another twice-finalist (also with a golden and a silver medal) is Germany's Wolfgang Overath, Germany's #12 from 1966 to 1974.
    Honourable mentions to Alain Giresse, member of France's "carre magique" midfield of the early 1980's and, given there are so many keepers using it, to Argentina's Sergio Goycoechea, who started WC'90 as a sub and became an unlikely hero as he saved key penalties on Argentina's path to that Cup's final.

And that's it for #12, I guess. Too bad as it's one of my favorite numbers, but it is what it is. If you think there are other mentionworthy players,
    by all means bring them up. And tomorrow we get to #11, in which I guess
    the plot will considerably thicken.

Best regards,

Lléo

I kinda remember Henry wearing 12, but I dont remember overath wearing 12, which for me is a bigger deal. WELL DONE

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)