• The John De Lange RSS World Cup 2022 Sophisticated Prediction Contest

From Futbolmetrix@21:1/5 to All on Mon Nov 7 22:59:39 2022
    Only 12 days to the World Cup, time to get your sophisticated predictions in!

https://futbolmetrix.wordpress.com/2022/11/08/world-cup-2022-sophisticated-prediction-contest/

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Mark@21:1/5 to Futbolmetrix on Wed Nov 16 05:10:49 2022
    On Tuesday, November 8, 2022 at 6:59:41 AM UTC, Futbolmetrix wrote:

https://futbolmetrix.wordpress.com/2022/11/08/world-cup-2022-sophisticated-prediction-contest/

How does this work? and why is it probabilities and not definite predictions? etc.

And what's the best way of doing it? I'm not sure if I can remember the advice I was given 4 years ago. Fill it in team by team I think? (I think I'd been trying to do it round by round and found it almost impossible.)

(And what's the best thing to do when, as usual, my computer won't open the spreadsheet?)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Werner Pichler@21:1/5 to Mark on Thu Nov 17 06:32:29 2022
    On Wednesday, November 16, 2022 at 2:10:51 PM UTC+1, Mark wrote:

How does this work? and why is it probabilities and not definite predictions? etc.

Because that would be unsophisticated. This is the Sophisticated Prediction Contest.

Ciao,
    Werner

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Futbolmetrix@21:1/5 to Werner Pichler on Thu Nov 17 09:50:03 2022
    On Thursday, November 17, 2022 at 9:32:31 AM UTC-5, Werner Pichler wrote:

Because that would be unsophisticated. This is the Sophisticated Prediction Contest.

Mark's question is a good one, especially given the nature of a fairly complicated matrix such as the one for the World Cup. The strategy that I use goes something like this:

1) First fill in the group probabilities: This is relatively easy, you just need 4 numbers that add up to 2. So, for example, you could have, for the probability of *elimination* in Round 1, the following:

Qatar 0.5
    Netherlands 0.1
    Ecuador 0.6
    Senegal 0.8

2) Then fill in each row separately and make it up to one. For example:

p_R1 p_R16 p_QF p_SF p_LF p_WF
    Qatar 0.5 0.3 0.15 0.03 0.01 0.01

I use a couple of rules of thumb for this step:
    a) The numbers in a row should be either monotonically decreasing (as in the example above) or hump shaped (*), as in:

Netherlands 0.1 0.35 0.35 0.12 0.05 0.03

(*) True for most teams with the exception of heavy favorites, who are more likely to win the final than lose it.

b) If you have teams that you think are of similar strength, use the same row. For example, I may think that Portugal is about the same strength as the Netherlands, in which case I just copy paste the Netherlands row into the Portugal row.

3) Once you have completed all the rows, this is where it gets difficult, because the numbers in the bottom row don't add up to what they should be. At this point, just do a lot of manual tinkering until things you get things right. Often, this takes the
    following form:

- I have underestimate by quite a lot p_WF, and overestimated quite a lot p_QF. So start taking off some decimal points from each team's p_QF and add it to p_WF (or just for the teams for which it makes sense).

Usually, this whole process takes about 20 minutes.

There are of course other possibilities:
    1. Look online for a source that makes a probabilistic forecast, and copy that as is, or with slight tinkering.
    2. Run your own computer model. They are a dime a dozen, nowadays...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Werner Pichler@21:1/5 to Futbolmetrix on Thu Nov 17 11:26:20 2022
    On Thursday, November 17, 2022 at 6:50:05 PM UTC+1, Futbolmetrix wrote:

Mark's question is a good one, especially given the nature of a fairly complicated matrix such as the one for the World Cup. The strategy that I use goes something like this:

1) First fill in the group probabilities: This is relatively easy, you just need 4 numbers that add up to 2. So, for example, you could have, for the probability of *elimination* in Round 1, the following:

Qatar 0.5
    Netherlands 0.1
    Ecuador 0.6
    Senegal 0.8

a) The numbers in a row should be either monotonically decreasing (as in the example above) or hump shaped (*), as in:

(*) True for most teams with the exception of heavy favorites, who are more likely to win the final than lose it.

Yeah, I usually regard any final match as basically a toss-up, so generally assign the same probabilities to both winning and losing the final.

I don't know how common that is, and whether or not that has hurt my chances in these competitions, but it has made filling out the matrix a tad easier.

Ciao,
    Werner

b) If you have teams that you think are of similar strength, use the same row. For example, I may think that Portugal is about the same strength as the Netherlands, in which case I just copy paste the Netherlands row into the Portugal row.

3) Once you have completed all the rows, this is where it gets difficult, because the numbers in the bottom row don't add up to what they should be. At this point, just do a lot of manual tinkering until things you get things right. Often, this takes
    the following form:

- I have underestimate by quite a lot p_WF, and overestimated quite a lot p_QF. So start taking off some decimal points from each team's p_QF and add it to p_WF (or just for the teams for which it makes sense).

1. Look online for a source that makes a probabilistic forecast, and copy that as is, or with slight tinkering.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Futbolmetrix@21:1/5 to Werner Pichler on Thu Nov 17 15:54:56 2022
    On Thursday, November 17, 2022 at 2:26:21 PM UTC-5, Werner Pichler wrote:

Yeah, I usually regard any final match as basically a toss-up, so generally assign the same probabilities to both winning and losing the final.

I used to do that too, but I have changed that in more recent SophCons. I have no idea if this has affected my relative standings.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From MH@21:1/5 to Werner Pichler on Thu Nov 17 22:25:57 2022
    On 2022-11-17 12:26, Werner Pichler wrote:
    On Thursday, November 17, 2022 at 6:50:05 PM UTC+1, Futbolmetrix wrote:
    On Thursday, November 17, 2022 at 9:32:31 AM UTC-5, Werner Pichler wrote: >>> On Wednesday, November 16, 2022 at 2:10:51 PM UTC+1, Mark wrote:

Qatar 0.5
    Netherlands 0.1
    Ecuador 0.6
    Senegal 0.8

I don't know how common that is, and whether or not that has hurt my chances in these competitions, but it has made filling out the matrix a tad easier.

Ciao,
    Werner

I do the same. Did not always do so in the past. While I would be able
    to predict different probabilities for the finalists if I knew they were
    Brazil and England, for example, but in the absence of any idea who the opponents are going to be, I find it easier to consider them a toss-up. Especially given the chance it might go to PKS.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jesus Petry@21:1/5 to All on Fri Nov 18 11:56:34 2022
    Em terça-feira, 8 de novembro de 2022 às 03:59:41 UTC-3, Futbolmetrix escreveu:

538 have published their predictions:

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2022-world-cup-predictions/

Tchau!
    Jesus Petry

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Futbolmetrix@21:1/5 to jesus...@gmail.com on Fri Nov 18 14:35:43 2022
    On Friday, November 18, 2022 at 2:56:36 PM UTC-5, jesus...@gmail.com wrote:

Yes, included it already. List of participants so far:

Spreadsheet number Name
    S01 Agnostic
    S02 KU Leuven
    S03 Swiss Football Data
    S04 goalprojection
    S05 KonakaLab
    S06 InPlayFootballTips
    S07 Jesus Petry
    S08 Luke Benz
    S09 FiveThirtyEight
    S10 Futbolmetrix
    S11 Betfair
    s12 AIrgentina
    s13 MH
    s14 Zander (Tournament Structure)

I have done the calculation for all my usual bots and more. Haven't uploaded them yet. But expect to see the following:
    Elo
    Transfermarkt
    ClubElo/ClubTM <-- defending champion
    econ0
    econ1
    -----------------------

Then I will probably also add the following

scrabble (based on each team's official name scrabble score, in strong competition with Aggie and the econs for the dumbest prediction)
    gk <-- best goalkeeper (suggested by milivella)
    def <-- best four defenders (suggested by milivella)
    mid <-- best four midfielders (suggested by milivella)
    fwd <-- best 2 forwards (suggested by milivella)

And maybe these ones too:

adjusted tm: adjusts tm value for age and position (a 50m 35-year old Messi is probably better than a 50m 25 year old Richarlison)
    goal experience (number of goals)
    q1bias (the share of players born in quarter 1 of the year out of the total number of players born in q1 or q4 - I think this is an interesting measure of a nation's scouting ability at youth level: are you really able to pick the best talents, or do
    you just invest in the slightly older 12 and 13 year olds that have a physical advantage over their peers in their same age category?)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Real Mardin@21:1/5 to Futbolmetrix on Sat Nov 19 11:10:08 2022
    On Friday, November 18, 2022 at 10:35:45 PM UTC, Futbolmetrix wrote:
    On Friday, November 18, 2022 at 2:56:36 PM UTC-5, jesus...@gmail.com wrote:

Yes, included it already. List of participants so far:

Spreadsheet number Name
    S01 Agnostic
    S02 KU Leuven
    S03 Swiss Football Data
    S04 goalprojection
    S05 KonakaLab
    S06 InPlayFootballTips
    S07 Jesus Petry
    S08 Luke Benz
    S09 FiveThirtyEight
    S10 Futbolmetrix
    S11 Betfair
    s12 AIrgentina
    s13 MH
    s14 Zander (Tournament Structure)

I have done the calculation for all my usual bots and more. Haven't uploaded them yet. But expect to see the following:
    Elo
    Transfermarkt
    ClubElo/ClubTM <-- defending champion
    econ0
    econ1
    -----------------------

Then I will probably also add the following

scrabble (based on each team's official name scrabble score, in strong competition with Aggie and the econs for the dumbest prediction)

And maybe these ones too:

adjusted tm: adjusts tm value for age and position (a 50m 35-year old Messi is probably better than a 50m 25 year old Richarlison)
    goal experience (number of goals)
    q1bias (the share of players born in quarter 1 of the year out of the total number of players >born in q1 or q4 - I think this is an interesting measure of a nation's scouting ability at youth >level: are you really able to pick the best talents, or do
    you just invest in the slightly older 12 >and 13 year olds that have a physical advantage over their peers in their same age category?)

Working through my first SophnCon entry.

The group stage probabilities all add up to 2.

Each team’s total probability adds up to 1.

So far so good.

But some of the columns below say 1.9 (for example) when the spreadsheet says they should add up to 2.

Is this a problem? Out of interest what is the reasoning for those columns needing to be 2?

I won’t have a chance to amend this tomorrow so could I please send mine over with the above errors subject to being tinkered with to get the columns to balance after Qatar v Ecuador?

RM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Futbolmetrix@21:1/5 to Real Mardin on Sat Nov 19 12:44:18 2022
    On Saturday, November 19, 2022 at 2:10:10 PM UTC-5, Real Mardin wrote:

Good!

So far so good.

Even better!

But some of the columns below say 1.9 (for example) when the spreadsheet says they should add up to 2.

Is this a problem? Out of interest what is the reasoning for those columns needing to be 2?

Yes, it is a bit of a problem. Because the round of 16 is crossed (A1 plays B2 and B1 plays A2), there have to be exactly 2 teams that qualify to the QFs out of each pair of groups (A-B, C-D, E-F, and G-H).

I won’t have a chance to amend this tomorrow so could I please send mine over with the above errors subject to being tinkered with to get the columns to balance after Qatar v Ecuador?

Hmm...I'll see what I can do. But I'm OK if you send in your predictions a bit late, as long as you pinky swear that you did not
    let the results of the first match influence your choices.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Real Mardin@21:1/5 to Futbolmetrix on Sat Nov 19 13:22:52 2022
    On Saturday, November 19, 2022 at 8:44:20 PM UTC, Futbolmetrix wrote:

Good!

So far so good.
    Even better!

Yes, it is a bit of a problem. Because the round of 16 is crossed (A1 plays B2 and B1 plays A2), there have to be exactly 2 teams that qualify to the QFs out of each pair of groups (A-B, C-D, E-F, and G-H).

Right, that makes sense now. Thanks for explaining.

Hmm...I'll see what I can do. But I'm OK if you send in your predictions a bit late, as long as you pinky swear that you did not

Thanks, I'll see what I can do!

If nothing else working out these probabilities has made me realise (albeit it too late) what a folly some of my World Cup bets have been!

RM

RM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Real Mardin@21:1/5 to Real Mardin on Sat Nov 19 14:56:05 2022
    On Saturday, November 19, 2022 at 9:22:53 PM UTC, Real Mardin wrote:
    On Saturday, November 19, 2022 at 8:44:20 PM UTC, Futbolmetrix wrote:

Good!

So far so good.
    Even better!

Right, that makes sense now. Thanks for explaining.
    Thanks, I'll see what I can do!

Unfortunately not factoring in that the low columns are the total probability for each bracket means I've set about this the wrong way correcting the entry is now going to take too long even taking into account a possible post opening game extension.

For now I'm going to have to concede that I'm only two thirds sophisticated :(

It's great that the Soph Con honours former rss'er Ruud aka John De Lange, for my part I shall honour him by being outspoken and by speaking up when it's right to do so, which are my abiding memories of him as a rss'er.

RM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From psychedelics fountain@21:1/5 to All on Thu Nov 24 19:42:08 2022
    Buy PRISM 300MG CANNABIS OIL DISPOSABLES IN MICHIGAN https://pyramidpens.shop/product/prism-300mg-cannabis-oil-disposables/
    Buy CBD Supplements - the UK's Leading Health Retailer

THC CARTRIDGE RELOADS & DISPOSABLE VAPES https://psychedelicshome.live/product-category/deadhead-chemist/#gsc.tab=0
    The FIFA World Cup Psychedelics
    The FIFA World Cup Psychedelics For Sale in QATAR

Pyramid reload syringes gives cannabis oil connoisseurs the option to refill their favorite cartridge full of a potent and pure, full flavor strain-specific distillate. Pyramids 300mg disposable contains the same high-quality THC oil that is discrete and
    a perfect option for tourists. If you are looking for 100% cannabis oil products in Colorado and Michigan, find these THC cartridge reloads & disposable vapes, as well as other great 710 products at a dispensary near you using our Store Locator.Buy
    cannabis oil products in Canada

https://pyramidpens.shop/product-category/pyramid-products/
    BROWSE OUR THC CARTRIDGE RELOADS & DISPOSABLE VAPES

Select the tabs below to browse our Pyramid Reload or Disposable products between Michigan and Colorado.
    DISPOSABLES
    https://pyramidpens.shop/
    Pure CBD (Cannabidiol) Hemp Oil for Sale Online in UK
    fourfive: Buy CBD Oil | CBD Oil Products | The UK's Most
    Buy CBD oil | Online CBD Shop | Premium Jane

Buy Disposable vape
    Disposable vape devices are not only a great option for smokers looking to quit smoking and try vaping, but also for vapers looking for a small and discreet, no fuss option. A great option as a back-up vape, when you're travelling or for use on a night
    out.
    Boxes Come With 10 Disposable Vape Pens (Not Assorted)
    Professor Herb is an internationally renowned premium CBD brand. Professor Herb boast a variety of different CBD products within their growing catalogue.

CBD Products | CBD For Sale | Shop cbdMD Online
    Pure CBD Products for Sale | Buy CBD Online | Fusion CBD
    Royal CBD: Buy CBD Oil | Pure CBD for Sale
    Buy World Cup Psychedelics

https://pyramidpens.shop/product/variable-voltage-battery/ https://pyramidpens.shop/product/chill-plus-full-spectrum/ https://pyramidpens.shop/product/10x-delta-8-thc-cartridges/ https://pyramidpens.shop/product/rosin-cannabis-oil-disposables/

https://pyramidpens.shop/product/buy-delta-8-thc/ https://pyramidpens.shop/product/chill-delta-8-vape-cartridge/ https://pyramidpens.shop/product/buy-exhale-wellness/ https://pyramidpens.shop/product/buy-hollyweed-delta/ https://pyramidpens.shop/product/delta-effex/

https://pyramidpens.shop/product/delta-8-thc-gummies-online/ https://pyramidpens.shop/product/sauce-concentrates/ https://pyramidpens.shop/product/3chi-delta-8-thc-cartridge/ https://pyramidpens.shop/product/prism-300mg-cannabis-oil-disposables/

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From milivella@21:1/5 to All on Fri Nov 25 14:14:19 2022
    Futbolmetrix:

I HATE disagreeing with you, but...

I suggested just one rating! (best XI = best gk + best 4 defs + best 4
    mids + best 2 fwds)

Your interpretation is more interesting, though.

adjusted tm: adjusts tm value for age and position

I also suggested this... (and don't reply that you added "and position",
    as I suggested that years ago, in the context of FS predictions!)

(a 50m 35-year old Messi is probably better than a 50m 25 year old Richarlison)

Maybe I shouldn't claim the autorship of this idea, after all...

Nitpicking aside, thanks for the credit. Above all, your multi-decade
    job as organizer of SPCs and designer of very interesting models
    deserves a standing ovation!

(I hope someone else rises and applauds, as I am contracutally
    prohibited from doing so.)

--
    Cheers
    milivella

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Futbolmetrix@21:1/5 to milivella on Fri Nov 25 05:27:28 2022
    On Friday, November 25, 2022 at 8:14:22 AM UTC-5, milivella wrote:
    Futbolmetrix:

mids + best 2 fwds)

To be honest, I'm not so sure the "best n" is the right approach. There will be subs, tactical changes, etc. Maybe it should have been just the "best DF", "best MF" etc.

Yeah, yeah, enjoy your 15 minutes of glory. Let's not forget that for about 70 minutes yesterday Richarlison looked like a cross between Serginho 1982, Fred 2014 and Gabriel Jesus 2018 in terms of sheer ineptitude.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Futbolmetrix@21:1/5 to Futbolmetrix on Fri Nov 25 05:31:18 2022
    On Tuesday, November 8, 2022 at 1:59:41 AM UTC-5, Futbolmetrix wrote:

Standings after MD1: https://futbolmetrix.wordpress.com/2022/11/25/wc2022-sophcon-standings-after-day-1/
    Link to Master spreadsheet: https://futbolmetrix.wordpress.com/2022/11/25/wc2022-sophcon-the-master-spreadsheet/

If you don't want to open the link, here are the standings:

Standings after the first match day:
    1 AIrgentina -20.432
    2 MH -20.496
    3 Silver Aurora -20.952
    4 FiveThirtyEight -21.128
    5 Bookmaker Consensus Model (by AZ) -21.181
    6 El Pais -21.303
    7 Midfielders (by FM) -21.319
    8 Jesper -21.328
    9 goalprojection -21.457
    10 Collective Consciousness -21.467
    11 tm (by FM) -21.469
    12 Fantomen -21.496
    13 Alessandro Riolo -21.539
    14 Stephen K -21.715
    15 Elo (by FM) -21.862
    16 Patrick Flynn -21.954
    17 Luke Benz -21.961
    18 Opta Analyst -21.994
    19 Betfair -22.022
    20 Scrabble (by FM) -22.133
    21 Agnostic -22.181
    22 FoG -22.181
    23 FIFA (by FM) -22.252
    24 KU Leuven -22.376
    25 Footballgenius -22.399
    26 KonakaLab -22.527
    27 TransferMarkt - Adj (by FM) -22.535
    28 Strongest link (by FM) -22.574
    29 Econ1 (by FM) -22.581
    30 Hybrid Machine Learning (by AZ) -22.591
    31 Middle link (by FM) -22.602
    32 ClubElo/ClubTM (by FM) -22.661
    33 TransferMarkt (by FM) -22.758
    34 Defenders (by FM) -22.789
    35 cuca -22.889
    36 Werner Pichler -22.898
    37 Zander (Tournament Structure) -22.909
    38 NT-ELO predictions (by Ed) -23.073
    39 Jesus Petry -23.132
    40 Volkan Riolo -23.220
    41 InPlayFootballTips -23.309
    42 dopemodels.info -23.476
    43 Econ0 (by FM) -23.546
    44 Weakest link (by FM) -23.673
    45 Lléo -24.116
    46 Dan Levy -24.255
    47 Goalkeepers (by FM) -24.485
    48 Historic Match Model (by AZ) -24.559
    49 Futbolmetrix -25.318
    50 Q1_Bias (by FM) -25.489
    51 Keanu J -25.690
    52 Swiss Football Data -25.818
    53 Forwards (by FM) -27.036
    54 Goal Experience (by FM) -27.339
    55 Experience (by FM) -27.885
    56 Mark -32.106
    57 Anders T -33.615

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From anders t@21:1/5 to All on Fri Nov 25 22:05:36 2022
    Quoting Futbolmetrix in rec.sport.soccer:

57 Anders T -33.615

https://youtu.be/FXO0GIIy3xU !

--
    Manchester United FC - CHAMPIONS
    Latest: England '13 (20th) Europa '17, UEFA '08, World '08

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From milivella@21:1/5 to All on Sat Nov 26 03:07:59 2022
    Futbolmetrix:

On Friday, November 25, 2022 at 8:14:22 AM UTC-5, milivella wrote:
    Futbolmetrix:

mids + best 2 fwds)

To be honest, I'm not so sure the "best n" is the right approach. There will be subs, tactical changes, etc. Maybe it should have been just the "best DF", "best MF" etc.

It may be!

I guess the "best n" approach settles the question (so to speak) about
    "defense wins trophies" vs. "midfield wins trophies" vs. etc.

Yeah, yeah, enjoy your 15 minutes of glory.

Still more than Kane+Mueller's 0 minutes of glory...

Let's not forget that for about 70 minutes yesterday Richarlison looked like a cross between Serginho 1982, Fred 2014 and Gabriel Jesus 2018 in terms of sheer ineptitude.

Before scoring, a player hasn't scored. More news at 11.

--
    Cheers
    milivella

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ion Saliu@21:1/5 to Futbolmetrix on Sat Nov 26 10:30:16 2022
    On Thursday, November 17, 2022 at 7:50:05 PM UTC+2, Futbolmetrix wrote:

Qatar 0.5
    Netherlands 0.1
    Ecuador 0.6
    Senegal 0.8

3) Once you have completed all the rows, this is where it gets difficult, because the numbers in the bottom row don't add up to what they should be. At this point, just do a lot of manual tinkering until things you get things right. Often, this takes
    the following form:

“1) First fill in the group probabilities: This is relatively easy, you just need 4 numbers that add up to 2. So, for example, you could have, for the probability of *elimination* in Round 1, the following:

Qatar 0.5
    Netherlands 0.1
    Ecuador 0.6
    Senegal 0.8”

Futitser:

Assiomatico, the hardest time I’ve had: Convincing people that there ain’t NO absolute certainty. As I put it: “Absolute certainty is absolute absurdity”. The Fundamental Formula of Gambling (FFG) proves it beyond every shred of reasonable doubt.

Still, you step one pace over the fundamental absurdity. You “calculate” a “probability” of 0.5+0.1+0.6+0.8. “Result”: 2.0. Probability never reaches 1.0, amico! If it would reach 1.0, then there would be infinity, or perfection, … or
    absolute certainty! See it? You go 2.0 times beyond ABSURDITY!

https://saliu.com/Saliu2.htm
    • Fundamental Formula of Gambling (FFG): Theory of Probability, Mathematics, Degree of Certainty, Chance.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark@21:1/5 to ions...@gmail.com on Sun Nov 27 03:23:40 2022
    On Saturday, November 26, 2022 at 6:30:17 PM UTC, ions...@gmail.com wrote:

Assiomatico, the hardest time I’ve had: Convincing people that there ain’t NO absolute certainty. As I put it: “Absolute certainty is absolute absurdity”. The Fundamental Formula of Gambling (FFG) proves it beyond every shred of reasonable
    doubt.

Still, you step one pace over the fundamental absurdity. You “calculate” a “probability” of 0.5+0.1+0.6+0.8. “Result”: 2.0. Probability never reaches 1.0, amico! If it would reach 1.0, then there would be infinity, or perfection, … or
    absolute certainty! See it? You go 2.0 times beyond ABSURDITY!

https://saliu.com/Saliu2.htm
    • Fundamental Formula of Gambling (FFG): Theory of Probability, Mathematics, Degree of Certainty, Chance.

Is it not an absolute certainty that Qatar won't win the World Cup?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Futbolmetrix@21:1/5 to Futbolmetrix on Mon Nov 28 14:52:37 2022
    On Friday, November 25, 2022 at 8:31:20 AM UTC-5, Futbolmetrix wrote:

Standings after MD1: https://futbolmetrix.wordpress.com/2022/11/25/wc2022-sophcon-standings-after-day-1/
    Link to Master spreadsheet: https://futbolmetrix.wordpress.com/2022/11/25/wc2022-sophcon-the-master-spreadsheet/

Standings after Match Day 2:

1 Jesus Petry -19.243 <--- Up RSS!
    2 Defenders (by FM) -19.547 <-- Defense wins championships! (or at least does well after 2 match days!)
    3 Simon G -20.096
    4 Volkan Riolo -20.273
    5 Luke Benz -20.300
    6 FiveThirtyEight -20.326
    7 Collective Consciousness -20.349
    8 Bookmaker Consensus Model (by AZ) -20.379
    9 Dan Levy -20.399
    10 Midfielders (by FM) -20.448
    11 cuca -20.473
    12 KU Leuven -20.490
    13 Patrick Flynn -20.523
    14 tm (by FM) -20.568
    15 El Pais -20.602
    16 Zander (Tournament Structure) -20.647
    17 Middle link (by FM) -20.718
    18 Stephen K -20.721
    19 TransferMarkt - Adj (by FM) -20.820
    20 goalprojection -20.832
    21 Silver Aurora -20.835
    22 Jesper -20.915
    23 TransferMarkt (by FM) -20.948
    24 Futbolmetrix -20.977
    25 Betfair -21.042
    26 Elo (by FM) -21.251
    27 ClubElo/ClubTM (by FM) -21.319
    28 Opta Analyst -21.325
    29 Strongest link (by FM) -21.337
    30 Alessandro Riolo -21.539
    31 Goalkeepers (by FM) -21.548
    32 Hybrid Machine Learning (by AZ) -21.645
    33 Econ1 (by FM) -21.787
    34 Q1_Bias (by FM) -21.908
    35 KonakaLab -21.936
    36 AIrgentina -21.996
    37 FoG -22.181
    38 Agnostic -22.181
    39 Weakest link (by FM) -22.211
    40 InPlayFootballTips -22.255
    41 Anders T -22.344
    42 NT-ELO predictions (by Ed) -22.516
    43 dopemodels.info -22.560
    44 Historic Match Model (by AZ) -22.786
    45 Keanu J -22.875
    46 Lléo -22.906
    47 MH -22.965
    48 Econ0 (by FM) -23.078
    49 Footballgenius -23.299
    50 FIFA (by FM) -23.371
    51 Fantomen -23.403
    52 Werner Pichler -23.602
    53 Mark -23.983
    54 Forwards (by FM) -24.257
    55 Swiss Football Data -25.209
    56 Scrabble (by FM) -27.891
    57 Goal Experience (by FM) -30.514
    58 Experience (by FM) -36.811

Also available here: https://futbolmetrix.wordpress.com/2022/11/28/wc2022-sophcon-standings-after-match-day-2/

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jesus Petry@21:1/5 to All on Tue Nov 29 10:02:38 2022
    Em segunda-feira, 28 de novembro de 2022 às 19:52:39 UTC-3, Futbolmetrix escreveu:
    On Friday, November 25, 2022 at 8:31:20 AM UTC-5, Futbolmetrix wrote:

Standings after Match Day 2:

1 Jesus Petry -19.243 <--- Up RSS!
    2 Defenders (by FM) -19.547 <-- Defense wins championships! (or at least does well after 2 match days!)
    3 Simon G -20.096
    4 Volkan Riolo -20.273
    5 Luke Benz -20.300
    6 FiveThirtyEight -20.326
    7 Collective Consciousness -20.349
    8 Bookmaker Consensus Model (by AZ) -20.379
    9 Dan Levy -20.399
    10 Midfielders (by FM) -20.448
    11 cuca -20.473
    12 KU Leuven -20.490
    13 Patrick Flynn -20.523
    14 tm (by FM) -20.568
    15 El Pais -20.602
    16 Zander (Tournament Structure) -20.647
    17 Middle link (by FM) -20.718
    18 Stephen K -20.721
    19 TransferMarkt - Adj (by FM) -20.820
    20 goalprojection -20.832
    21 Silver Aurora -20.835
    22 Jesper -20.915
    23 TransferMarkt (by FM) -20.948
    24 Futbolmetrix -20.977
    25 Betfair -21.042
    26 Elo (by FM) -21.251
    27 ClubElo/ClubTM (by FM) -21.319
    28 Opta Analyst -21.325
    29 Strongest link (by FM) -21.337
    30 Alessandro Riolo -21.539
    31 Goalkeepers (by FM) -21.548
    32 Hybrid Machine Learning (by AZ) -21.645
    33 Econ1 (by FM) -21.787
    34 Q1_Bias (by FM) -21.908
    35 KonakaLab -21.936
    36 AIrgentina -21.996
    37 FoG -22.181
    38 Agnostic -22.181
    39 Weakest link (by FM) -22.211
    40 InPlayFootballTips -22.255
    41 Anders T -22.344
    42 NT-ELO predictions (by Ed) -22.516
    43 dopemodels.info -22.560
    44 Historic Match Model (by AZ) -22.786
    45 Keanu J -22.875
    46 Lléo -22.906
    47 MH -22.965
    48 Econ0 (by FM) -23.078
    49 Footballgenius -23.299
    50 FIFA (by FM) -23.371
    51 Fantomen -23.403
    52 Werner Pichler -23.602
    53 Mark -23.983
    54 Forwards (by FM) -24.257
    55 Swiss Football Data -25.209
    56 Scrabble (by FM) -27.891
    57 Goal Experience (by FM) -30.514
    58 Experience (by FM) -36.811

Also available here: https://futbolmetrix.wordpress.com/2022/11/28/wc2022-sophcon-standings-after-match-day-2/

Senegal going through instead of Ecuador put Goalkeepers past me.

Tchau!
    Jesus Petry

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Futbolmetrix@21:1/5 to jesus... on Tue Nov 29 10:47:04 2022
    On Tuesday, November 29, 2022 at 1:02:40 PM UTC-5, jesus... wrote:
    Em segunda-feira, 28 de novembro de 2022 às 19:52:39 UTC-3, Futbolmetrix escreveu:

What's even worse is that milivella's cuca is in third place. We'll never hear the end of it from him...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Futbolmetrix@21:1/5 to Futbolmetrix on Tue Nov 29 14:03:36 2022
    On Tuesday, November 29, 2022 at 1:47:06 PM UTC-5, Futbolmetrix wrote:
    On Tuesday, November 29, 2022 at 1:02:40 PM UTC-5, jesus... wrote:
    What's even worse is that milivella's cuca is in third place. We'll never hear the end of it from him...

After the end of Group B, my army of TransferMarkt based predictions is now crowding the top 10, but cuca in effective third place is just bad. Jesper has snuck into the top 10, Jesus has dropped out (MatchDay2 is an hors-de concours entry that assumes
    perfect knowledge of everything that happened in MDs 1 and 2, and then uses Elo)

1 MatchDay 2 -15.404
    2 Goalkeepers (by FM) -17.042
    3 Defenders (by FM) -17.568
    4 cuca -17.828
    5 Middle link (by FM) -18.007
    6 TransferMarkt (by FM) -18.029
    7 Jesper -18.143
    8 Midfielders (by FM) -18.292
    9 TransferMarkt - Adj (by FM) -18.400
    10 Dan Levy -18.571
    11 ClubElo/ClubTM (by FM) -18.663

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From milivella@21:1/5 to All on Wed Nov 30 02:21:21 2022
    RnV0Ym9sbWV0cml4Og0KDQo+IE9uIFR1ZXNkYXksIE5vdmVtYmVyIDI5LCAyMDIyIGF0IDE6 MDI6NDAgUE0gVVRDLTUsIGplc3VzLi4uIHdyb3RlOg0KPj4gRW0gc2VndW5kYS1mZWlyYSwg MjggZGUgbm92ZW1icm8gZGUgMjAyMiDDoHMgMTk6NTI6MzkgVVRDLTMsIEZ1dGJvbG1ldHJp eCBlc2NyZXZldToNCj4+PiBBbHNvIGF2YWlsYWJsZSBoZXJlOiBodHRwczovL2Z1dGJvbG1l dHJpeC53b3JkcHJlc3MuY29tLzIwMjIvMTEvMjgvd2MyMDIyLXNvcGhjb24tc3RhbmRpbmdz LWFmdGVyLW1hdGNoLWRheS0yLw0KPj4gU2VuZWdhbCBnb2luZyB0aHJvdWdoIGluc3RlYWQg b2YgRWN1YWRvciBwdXQgR29hbGtlZXBlcnMgcGFzdCBtZS4NCj4gDQo+IFdoYXQncyBldmVu IHdvcnNlIGlzIHRoYXQgbWlsaXZlbGxhJ3MgY3VjYSBpcyBpbiB0aGlyZCBwbGFjZS4gV2Un bGwgbmV2ZXIgaGVhciB0aGUgZW5kIG9mIGl0IGZyb20gaGltLi4uDQoNCk5vdyBJIGFtIG5v dCBldmVuIGFsbG93ZWQgdG8gZW5qb3kgbXkgMTUgbWludXRlcyBvZiBnbG9yeT8hIFRvbW9y cm93IA0KSSdsbCBiZSAzNXRoIGFnYWluLg0KDQpBbHNvOiB3aGF0IGVsc2UgSSBhbSBzdXBw b3NlZCB0byBkbyB3aXRoIG15IDIwMC1wYWdlIGRpc3NlcnRhdGlvbiBvbiB3aHkgDQpDdUNh IGlzIHRoZSBiZXN0IHBvc3NpYmxlIG1vZGVsPw0KDQotLQ0KQ2hlZXJzDQptaWxpdmVsbGEN
    Cg==

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From milivella@21:1/5 to All on Thu Dec 1 17:32:19 2022
    Futbolmetrix:

After the end of Group B, my army of TransferMarkt based predictions is now crowding the top 10, but cuca in effective third place is just bad. Jesper has snuck into the top 10, Jesus has dropped out (MatchDay2 is an hors-de concours entry that assumes
    perfect knowledge of everything that happened in MDs 1 and 2, and then uses Elo)

1 MatchDay 2 -15.404
    2 Goalkeepers (by FM) -17.042
    3 Defenders (by FM) -17.568
    4 cuca -17.828
    5 Middle link (by FM) -18.007
    6 TransferMarkt (by FM) -18.029
    7 Jesper -18.143
    8 Midfielders (by FM) -18.292
    9 TransferMarkt - Adj (by FM) -18.400
    10 Dan Levy -18.571
    11 ClubElo/ClubTM (by FM) -18.663

Why haven't you posted the ranking after the end of Group D? :D

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Futbolmetrix@21:1/5 to milivella on Thu Dec 1 09:31:23 2022
    On Thursday, December 1, 2022 at 11:32:22 AM UTC-5, milivella wrote:
    Futbolmetrix:

Weren't they exactly the same as the ones posted the day before? Argentina, Poland, France and Australia were the qualified teams prior to the Wednesday matches.

Today's Group F results also have no effect on the SophCon standings. We'll see what happens if Germany are able to turn it around.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From milivella@21:1/5 to All on Fri Dec 2 00:54:40 2022
    Futbolmetrix:

On Thursday, December 1, 2022 at 11:32:22 AM UTC-5, milivella wrote:
    Futbolmetrix:

Weren't they exactly the same as the ones posted the day before? Argentina, Poland, France and Australia were the qualified teams prior to the Wednesday matches.

Translation for the uninitated: "I didn't want to write that CuCa kept
    its place on the podium."

--
    Cheers
    milivella

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Futbolmetrix@21:1/5 to milivella on Fri Dec 2 09:12:20 2022
    On Thursday, December 1, 2022 at 6:54:43 PM UTC-5, milivella wrote:

Ridiculous theory!

Here are the top 10 after the end of today's Group H matches:

1 MatchDay 2 (hors de concours) -16.549
    2 Red -16.859
    3 Goalkeepers (by FM) -17.584
    4 Jesper -17.701
    5 Futbolmetrix -18.300
    6 FiveThirtyEight -18.481
    7 Midfielders (by FM) -18.488
    8 Weakest link (by FM) -18.594
    9 cuca -18.750
    10 TransferMarkt (by FM) -18.921
    11 TransferMarkt - Adj (by FM) -18.979

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jesus Petry@21:1/5 to All on Fri Dec 2 09:17:07 2022
    Em sexta-feira, 2 de dezembro de 2022 às 14:12:22 UTC-3, Futbolmetrix escreveu:
    On Thursday, December 1, 2022 at 6:54:43 PM UTC-5, milivella wrote:

Ridiculous theory!

Here are the top 10 after the end of today's Group H matches:

2 Red -16.859
    4 Jesper -17.701
    5 Futbolmetrix -18.300
    9 cuca -18.750

Red? This one wasn't in the master spreadsheet that I've downloaded...

Tchau!
    Jesus Petry

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Futbolmetrix@21:1/5 to jesus...@gmail.com on Fri Dec 2 09:25:53 2022
    On Friday, December 2, 2022 at 12:17:09 PM UTC-5, jesus...@gmail.com wrote:

Late submission (trusted source, so I accepted it)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Futbolmetrix@21:1/5 to Futbolmetrix on Fri Dec 2 14:36:32 2022
    On Friday, December 2, 2022 at 12:25:55 PM UTC-5, Futbolmetrix wrote:
    On Friday, December 2, 2022 at 12:17:09 PM UTC-5, jesus...@gmail.com wrote:

Late submission (trusted source, so I accepted it)

Full standings at the end of the group stage:

2 Red -16.859
    4 Jesper -17.701
    5 Futbolmetrix -18.300
    9 cuca -18.750
    12 KU Leuven -19.002
    13 Econ0 (by FM) -19.028
    14 Stephen K -19.176
    15 Keanu J -19.197
    16 Strongest link (by FM) -19.222
    17 FIFA (by FM) -19.242
    18 Jesus Petry -19.243
    19 Bookmaker Consensus Model (by AZ) -19.250
    20 goalprojection -19.302
    21 Collective Consciousness -19.316
    22 tm (by FM) -19.436
    23 El Pais -19.466
    24 Defenders (by FM) -19.485
    25 Zander (Tournament Structure) -19.486
    26 Middle link (by FM) -19.573
    27 AIrgentina -19.741
    28 Simon G -19.829
    29 ClubElo/ClubTM (by FM) -19.875
    30 Patrick Flynn -19.878
    31 Opta Analyst -19.946
    32 Volkan Riolo -20.068
    33 Footballgenius -20.128
    34 Betfair -20.137
    35 Hybrid Machine Learning (by AZ) -20.309
    36 Dan Levy -20.363
    37 Econ1 (by FM) -20.409
    38 MatchDay1 (hors de concours) -20.451
    39 Silver Aurora -20.476
    40 MH -20.541
    41 Elo (by FM) -20.650
    42 Luke Benz -20.716
    43 dopemodels.info -20.859
    44 InPlayFootballTips -21.134
    45 Werner Pichler -21.175
    46 KonakaLab -21.299
    47 Fantomen -21.385
    48 NT-ELO predictions (by Ed) -21.411
    49 Alessandro Riolo -21.940
    50 FoG -22.181
    51 Agnostic -22.181
    52 Lléo -22.505
    53 Forwards (by FM) -22.950
    54 Historic Match Model (by AZ) -23.077
    55 Swiss Football Data -23.620
    56 Anders T -24.136
    57 Scrabble (by FM) -24.614
    58 Mark -26.254
    59 Q1_Bias (by FM) -28.385
    60 Goal Experience (by FM) -32.049
    61 Experience (by FM) -36.432

More commentary and links to updated master spreadsheets here:

https://futbolmetrix.wordpress.com/2022/12/02/wc-2022-sophcon-standings-at-the-end-of-the-group-stage/

Quickie look ahead: if all the favorites advance (BRA-ARG and ESP-FRA semis, BRA over FRA in the final), Jesper takes the crown.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Futbolmetrix@21:1/5 to Futbolmetrix on Sun Dec 4 09:16:37 2022
    On Friday, December 2, 2022 at 5:36:33 PM UTC-5, Futbolmetrix wrote:

Intermediate standings after FRA-POL (intermediate here means score after R16 for teams that have already played, and score after R1 for the others):

(top 10)

1 Jesper -18.891
    2 MatchDay 2 (hors de concours) -18.900
    3 Red -19.762
    4 Futbolmetrix -21.044
    5 FiveThirtyEight -21.225
    6 Goalkeepers (by FM) -21.403
    7 KU Leuven -21.534
    8 Stephen K -21.536
    9 Keanu J -21.666
    10 Zander (Tournament Structure) -21.738
    11 Jesus Petry -21.850

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Werner Pichler@21:1/5 to Futbolmetrix on Tue Dec 6 09:34:39 2022
    On Tuesday, December 6, 2022 at 6:32:24 PM UTC+1, Futbolmetrix wrote:
    On Sunday, December 4, 2022 at 12:16:38 PM UTC-5, Futbolmetrix wrote:
    Intermediate standings after FRA-POL (intermediate here means score after R16 for teams that have already played, and score after R1 for the others):

(top 10)

1 Jesper -18.891

Our great and enlightened leader has given Morocco zero probability of advancing past the round of 16.

Thanks!
    What additional excitement for the upcoming shoot-out!

Ciao,
    Werner

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Futbolmetrix@21:1/5 to Futbolmetrix on Tue Dec 6 09:32:22 2022

(top 10)

1 Jesper -18.891

Our great and enlightened leader has given Morocco zero probability of advancing past the round of 16.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Futbolmetrix@21:1/5 to Werner Pichler on Tue Dec 6 09:52:07 2022
    On Tuesday, December 6, 2022 at 12:34:41 PM UTC-5, Werner Pichler wrote:
    On Tuesday, December 6, 2022 at 6:32:24 PM UTC+1, Futbolmetrix wrote:

(top 10)

1 Jesper -18.891

Thanks!
    What additional excitement for the upcoming shoot-out!

Our great and enlightened leader drops to last place.

Intermediate top-12 after MOR-ESP:

1 Red -25.478
    2 Jesus Petry -26.044
    3 Goalkeepers (by FM) -26.140
    4 AIrgentina -26.384
    5 Stephen K -26.499
    6 FIFA (by FM) -26.536
    7 FiveThirtyEight -26.604
    8 KU Leuven -26.871
    9 cuca -26.905
    10 Keanu J -26.967
    11 El Pais -26.993
    12 TransferMarkt - Adj (by FM) -27.002

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jesper Lauridsen@21:1/5 to Futbolmetrix on Tue Dec 6 14:29:59 2022
    On Tuesday, 6 December 2022 at 18:32:24 UTC+1, Futbolmetrix wrote:

(top 10)

1 Jesper -18.891

There is nothing under the sun that does not suck.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From milivella@21:1/5 to All on Wed Dec 7 02:47:31 2022
    Futbolmetrix:

1 Red -25.478
    2 Jesus Petry -26.044
    3 Goalkeepers (by FM) -26.140
    4 AIrgentina -26.384
    5 Stephen K -26.499
    6 FIFA (by FM) -26.536
    7 FiveThirtyEight -26.604
    8 KU Leuven -26.871
    9 cuca -26.905
    10 Keanu J -26.967
    11 El Pais -26.993
    12 TransferMarkt - Adj (by FM) -27.002

Yeah, top 12, totally natural way to format a ranking.

--
    Cheers
    milivella

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Futbolmetrix@21:1/5 to Jesper Lauridsen on Tue Dec 6 17:22:00 2022
    On Tuesday, December 6, 2022 at 5:30:01 PM UTC-5, Jesper Lauridsen wrote:

There is nothing under the sun that does not suck.

Standings after the Round of 16:

1 Red -26.673
    2 Jesus Petry -27.297
    3 Goalkeepers (by FM) -27.649
    4 Keanu J -27.651
    5 Stephen K -27.692
    6 FiveThirtyEight -27.745
    7 AIrgentina -27.832
    8 KU Leuven -27.965
    9 Dan Levy -27.979
    10 Defenders (by FM) -27.995
    11 FIFA (by FM) -28.014
    12 El Pais -28.066
    13 cuca -28.069
    14 TransferMarkt - Adj (by FM) -28.091
    15 Collective Consciousness -28.165
    16 TransferMarkt (by FM) -28.203
    17 Zander (Tournament Structure) -28.260
    18 Bookmaker Consensus Model (by AZ) -28.352
    19 Weakest link (by FM) -28.384
    20 tm (by FM) -28.426
    21 Patrick Flynn -28.510
    22 goalprojection -28.563
    23 Futbolmetrix -28.607
    24 Middle link (by FM) -28.613
    25 Strongest link (by FM) -28.618
    26 Midfielders (by FM) -28.673
    27 Betfair -28.737
    28 MH -28.985
    29 Opta Analyst -29.026
    30 Simon G -29.153
    31 Hybrid Machine Learning (by AZ) -29.218
    32 Luke Benz -29.363
    33 ClubElo/ClubTM (by FM) -29.367
    34 Elo (by FM) -29.492
    35 KonakaLab -29.509
    36 dopemodels.info -29.582
    37 Footballgenius -29.600
    38 InPlayFootballTips -29.661
    39 NT-ELO predictions (by Ed) -29.731
    40 Silver Aurora -29.860
    41 Fantomen -29.934
    42 Volkan Riolo -30.226
    43 Lléo -30.402
    44 Werner Pichler -30.570
    45 Econ1 (by FM) -31.339
    46 Historic Match Model (by AZ) -31.571
    47 Swiss Football Data -31.962
    48 Forwards (by FM) -32.314
    49 Anders T -32.729
    50 Econ0 (by FM) -33.049
    51 FoG -33.271
    52 Agnostic -33.271
    53 Alessandro Riolo -33.720
    54 Scrabble (by FM) -37.456
    55 Mark -37.662
    56 Q1_Bias (by FM) -40.661
    57 Goal Experience (by FM) -41.267
    58 Experience (by FM) -47.439
    59 Jesper -94.466

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Futbolmetrix@21:1/5 to milivella on Sat Dec 10 16:36:58 2022
    On Tuesday, December 6, 2022 at 8:47:35 PM UTC-5, milivella wrote:
    Futbolmetrix:

Full standings after the QFs:

Red -33.051
    Jesus Petry -33.801
    Goalkeepers (by FM) -34.063
    FiveThirtyEight -34.080
    Defenders (by FM) -34.088
    FIFA (by FM) -34.111
    Stephen K -34.125
    KU Leuven -34.153
    TransferMarkt - Adj (by FM) -34.225
    cuca -34.247
    Collective Consciousness -34.262
    Keanu J -34.277
    Weakest link (by FM) -34.284
    AIrgentina -34.372
    TransferMarkt (by FM) -34.472
    Bookmaker Consensus Model (by AZ) -34.569
    Zander (Tournament Structure) -34.597
    El Pais -34.615
    Futbolmetrix -34.653
    Strongest link (by FM) -34.709
    Midfielders (by FM) -34.714
    Patrick Flynn -34.813
    Middle link (by FM) -34.952
    goalprojection -35.029
    Opta Analyst -35.056
    Betfair -35.070
    Simon G -35.169
    Luke Benz -35.384
    Hybrid Machine Learning (by AZ) -35.581
    ClubElo/ClubTM (by FM) -35.627
    Elo (by FM) -35.794
    Volkan Riolo -35.824
    Footballgenius -35.898
    Silver Aurora -35.929
    dopemodels.info -35.942
    tm (by FM) -35.953
    InPlayFootballTips -36.246
    MH -36.407
    NT-ELO predictions (by Ed) -36.513
    Fantomen -36.762
    KonakaLab -37.477
    Econ1 (by FM) -37.828
    Swiss Football Data -38.465
    Werner Pichler -38.478
    FoG -38.816
    Agnostic -38.816
    Forwards (by FM) -38.866
    Alessandro Riolo -39.201
    Historic Match Model (by AZ) -39.305
    Lléo -39.512
    Econ0 (by FM) -39.733
    Anders T -42.326
    Scrabble (by FM) -44.989
    Q1_Bias (by FM) -46.570
    Goal Experience (by FM) -47.333
    Experience (by FM) -53.836
    Dan Levy -68.880
    Jesper -99.318
    Mark -113.071

More comments here:

https://futbolmetrix.wordpress.com/2022/12/11/wc-2022-sophcon-standings-after-the-qfs/

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Werner Pichler@21:1/5 to Futbolmetrix on Sun Dec 11 04:36:33 2022
    On Sunday, December 11, 2022 at 1:37:00 AM UTC+1, Futbolmetrix wrote:
    Futbolmetrix:

Agnostic -38.816
    Forwards (by FM) -38.866

I wonder if there's some old adage or other about this sort of thing.

Ciao,
    Werner

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ion Saliu@21:1/5 to Werner Pichler on Sun Dec 11 04:55:06 2022
    On Sunday, December 11, 2022 at 2:36:35 PM UTC+2, Werner Pichler wrote:
    Futbolmetrix:

Agnostic -38.816
    Forwards (by FM) -38.866

“Much ado about nothing.” – William Shakespeare I

Ciao,
    Werner

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ion Saliu@21:1/5 to Werner Pichler on Sun Dec 11 04:56:24 2022
    On Sunday, December 11, 2022 at 2:36:35 PM UTC+2, Werner Pichler wrote:
    Futbolmetrix:

Agnostic -38.816
    Forwards (by FM) -38.866

“Much ado about nothing.” – William Shakespeare I

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Futbolmetrix@21:1/5 to Werner Pichler on Sun Dec 11 05:19:27 2022
    On Sunday, December 11, 2022 at 7:36:35 AM UTC-5, Werner Pichler wrote:
    Futbolmetrix:

Agnostic -38.816
    Forwards (by FM) -38.866

:-)

But it's about winning championships, not Sophisticated Prediction Contests!

For what it's worth, these are each team's contribution to the current difference in score between Goalkeepers and Forwards:
    (Positive values --> better prediction by goalkeepers)

1.2386 Morocco
    1.1752 Canada
    0.9690 Australia
    0.7562 Germany
    0.7477 Croatia
    0.5995 South Korea
    0.5158 Mexico
    0.4270 Serbia
    0.2619 Qatar
    0.2337 Uruguay
    0.1864 Iran
    0.1502 Denmark
    0.1412 Tunisia
    0.1401 Argentina
    0.1283 Portugal
    0.1023 United States
    0.0844 Brazil
    0.0835 Ghana
    0.0824 Switzerland
    0.0407 Ecuador
    0.0113 Netherlands
    -0.0081 Poland
    -0.0525 Saudi Arabia
    -0.0671 Senegal
    -0.1173 Spain
    -0.1189 Cameroon
    -0.1589 England
    -0.3207 Japan
    -0.3399 Costa Rica
    -0.3608 Wales
    -0.7684 Belgium
    -0.9595 France

Also, the way Goalkeepers was calculated was...erm...not great. It's the raw TransferMarkt value of the highest rated goalkeeper: so, Germany was given Ter Stegen's value, and France Areola's value. If I had adjusted by age (as I should have), Germany's
    rating would have been higher (hurting Goalkeeper's score), but France's value too (which would have benefited Goalkeepers)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Futbolmetrix@21:1/5 to All on Wed Dec 14 15:49:26 2022
    On Saturday, December 10, 2022 at 7:37:00 PM UTC-5, Futbolmetrix wrote:

Standings after the semifinals:

1 Red -35.228
    2 Jesus Petry -35.514
    3 Keanu J -36.180
    4 Stephen K -36.274
    5 FIFA (by FM) -36.314
    6 AIrgentina -36.395
    7 Collective Consciousness -36.512
    8 Defenders (by FM) -36.544
    9 Zander (Tournament Structure) -36.545
    10 Bookmaker Consensus Model (by AZ) -36.638
    11 TransferMarkt - Adj (by FM) -36.688
    12 KU Leuven -36.767
    13 El Pais -36.774
    14 cuca -36.807
    15 Weakest link (by FM) -36.815
    16 FiveThirtyEight -36.828
    17 TransferMarkt (by FM) -36.831
    18 Futbolmetrix -36.884
    19 Goalkeepers (by FM) -36.915
    20 Opta Analyst -37.088
    21 Betfair -37.107
    22 Strongest link (by FM) -37.234
    23 Patrick Flynn -37.247
    24 Middle link (by FM) -37.325
    25 goalprojection -37.419
    26 Midfielders (by FM) -37.467
    27 Hybrid Machine Learning (by AZ) -37.599
    28 Luke Benz -37.600
    29 Simon G -37.653
    30 ClubElo/ClubTM (by FM) -37.836
    31 Elo (by FM) -37.957
    32 dopemodels.info -38.073
    33 tm (by FM) -38.096
    34 InPlayFootballTips -38.125
    35 Footballgenius -38.138
    36 Silver Aurora -38.196
    37 Volkan Riolo -38.545
    38 Fantomen -38.687
    39 NT-ELO predictions (by Ed) -38.786
    40 MH -38.814
    41 KonakaLab -39.579
    42 Econ1 (by FM) -39.787
    43 Swiss Football Data -40.761
    44 Forwards (by FM) -41.009
    45 Lléo -41.278
    46 Werner Pichler -41.281
    47 Historic Match Model (by AZ) -41.506
    48 Agnostic -41.589
    49 FoG -41.589
    50 Econ0 (by FM) -41.868
    51 Alessandro Riolo -41.958
    52 Anders T -44.929
    53 Scrabble (by FM) -48.611
    54 Q1_Bias (by FM) -48.878
    55 Goal Experience (by FM) -49.810
    56 Experience (by FM) -56.360
    57 Jesper -101.398
    58 Dan Levy -105.899
    59 Mark -114.380

Might as well reveal that Red is going to win this. Jesus is also certain of second place. If I hadn't been a softie gamemaster and accepted Red's late entry, Jesus would have taken the crown. Now I feel bad.

Also, top 3 based on different scoring systems, depending on who wins the final:

If France wins:
    Log (official SophCon scoring system): Red, Jesus, FIFA
    Brier: Jesper, Red, Goalkeepers
    Ranked Probability Scoring: Jesper, Red, Jesus

If Argentina wins:
    Log: Red, Jesus, Keanu
    Brier: Jesper, Red, Goalkeepers
    RPS: Jesper, Jesus, Red

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From =?UTF-8?B?TGzDqW8=?=@21:1/5 to All on Wed Dec 14 17:49:42 2022
    Em quarta-feira, 14 de dezembro de 2022 às 20:49:28 UTC-3, Futbolmetrix escreveu:
    45 Lléo -41.278
    46 Werner Pichler -41.281
    47 Historic Match Model (by AZ) -41.506
    48 Agnostic -41.589

Well, at least I'm beating the agnostic prediction, but man. Surely my worst ever shot at a
    WC SPC, at least that I can remember.

Best regards,

Lléo

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Futbolmetrix@21:1/5 to All on Sun Dec 18 13:32:13 2022
    On Wednesday, December 14, 2022 at 8:49:44 PM UTC-5, Lléo wrote:

And these are the final SophCon standings:

1 Red -36.500
    2 Jesus Petry -36.900
    3 Keanu J -37.389
    4 Stephen K -37.554
    5 FIFA (by FM) -37.656
    6 AIrgentina -37.679
    7 Collective Consciousness -37.763
    8 Zander (Tournament Structure) -37.786
    9 Bookmaker Consensus Model (by AZ) -38.003
    10 KU Leuven -38.058
    11 Goalkeepers (by FM) -38.062
    12 Defenders (by FM) -38.120
    13 El Pais -38.129
    14 TransferMarkt - Adj (by FM) -38.131
    15 Futbolmetrix -38.206
    16 Weakest link (by FM) -38.242
    17 FiveThirtyEight -38.275
    18 cuca -38.294
    19 Patrick Flynn -38.349
    20 TransferMarkt (by FM) -38.373
    21 Opta Analyst -38.393
    22 Betfair -38.483
    23 Strongest link (by FM) -38.754
    24 Simon G -38.776
    25 dopemodels.info -38.801
    26 Middle link (by FM) -38.857
    27 Midfielders (by FM) -38.859
    28 Luke Benz -38.931
    29 Hybrid Machine Learning (by AZ) -38.949
    30 goalprojection -38.960
    31 Elo (by FM) -38.979
    32 InPlayFootballTips -39.326
    33 ClubElo/ClubTM (by FM) -39.364
    34 NT-ELO predictions (by Ed) -39.516
    35 Silver Aurora -39.517
    36 Footballgenius -39.535
    37 Fantomen -39.623
    38 Volkan Riolo -39.931
    39 tm (by FM) -40.043
    40 MH -40.201
    41 KonakaLab -40.371
    42 Econ1 (by FM) -41.248
    43 Swiss Football Data -42.002
    44 Forwards (by FM) -42.534
    45 Historic Match Model (by AZ) -42.613
    46 Lléo -42.664
    47 Werner Pichler -42.668
    48 FoG -42.975
    49 Agnostic -42.975
    50 Alessandro Riolo -43.344
    51 Econ0 (by FM) -43.661
    52 Anders T -46.315
    53 Q1_Bias (by FM) -50.264
    54 Scrabble (by FM) -50.506
    55 Goal Experience (by FM) -51.133
    56 Experience (by FM) -58.006
    57 Jesper -102.784
    58 Dan Levy -106.694
    59 Mark -115.570

Congrats to Red, to Jesus P for a very prestigious second place, and to Jesper, who would have won the whole thing if we had used a different scoring rule (that doesn't penalize as much putting a zero on events that eventually don't happen).

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From anders t@21:1/5 to All on Sun Dec 18 23:27:01 2022
    Quoting Futbolmetrix in rec.sport.soccer:

52 Anders T -46.315

My points per team:
    -9,21034 Morocco
    -4,60517 Croatia
    -2,41128 South Korea
    -2,30259 Belgium
    -2,30259 Brazil
    -1,96826 Japan
    -1,89712 Germany
    -1,89712 Uruguay
    -1,61445 Australia
    -1,60944 Argentina
    -1,60944 France
    -1,60944 Portugal
    -1,42837 Switzerland
    -1,38629 Denmark
    -1,38629 Spain
    -1,34707 United States
    -1,30933 Senegal
    -0,86750 Poland
    -0,77675 England
    -0,64436 Mexico
    -0,53803 Netherlands
    -0,51099 Ecuador
    -0,44644 Serbia
    -0,43078 Wales
    -0,43078 Ghana
    -0,38566 Cameroon
    -0,35667 Qatar
    -0,35667 Iran
    -0,35667 Canada
    -0,16252 Costa Rica
    -0,10536 Tunisia
    -0,05129 Saudi Arabia

--
    Manchester United FC - CHAMPIONS
    Latest: England '13 (20th) Europa '17, UEFA '08, World '08

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Werner Pichler@21:1/5 to Futbolmetrix on Sun Dec 18 14:37:04 2022
    On Sunday, December 18, 2022 at 10:32:15 PM UTC+1, Futbolmetrix wrote:

1 Red -36.500

What was Red's algorithm and why was it so good?

2 Jesus Petry -36.900
    3 Keanu J -37.389
    4 Stephen K -37.554
    5 FIFA (by FM) -37.656

This I find really surprising.

6 AIrgentina -37.679

What's this, exactly?

Also, this?

48 FoG -42.975
    49 Agnostic -42.975

Phew.

Congrats to Red, to Jesus P for a very prestigious second place, and to Jesper, who would have won the whole thing if we had used a different scoring rule (that doesn't penalize as much putting a zero on events
    that eventually don't happen).

That's the SophCon. Hard, but unforgiving.

Ciao,
    Werner

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark@21:1/5 to Futbolmetrix on Mon Dec 19 01:00:38 2022
    On Sunday, December 18, 2022 at 9:32:15 PM UTC, Futbolmetrix wrote:

1 Red -36.500
    2 Jesus Petry -36.900
    3 Keanu J -37.389
    4 Stephen K -37.554
    5 FIFA (by FM) -37.656
    6 AIrgentina -37.679
    9 Bookmaker Consensus Model (by AZ) -38.003
    10 KU Leuven -38.058
    11 Goalkeepers (by FM) -38.062
    12 Defenders (by FM) -38.120
    13 El Pais -38.129
    14 TransferMarkt - Adj (by FM) -38.131
    15 Futbolmetrix -38.206
    16 Weakest link (by FM) -38.242
    17 FiveThirtyEight -38.275
    18 cuca -38.294
    19 Patrick Flynn -38.349
    20 TransferMarkt (by FM) -38.373
    21 Opta Analyst -38.393
    22 Betfair -38.483
    23 Strongest link (by FM) -38.754
    24 Simon G -38.776
    25 dopemodels.info -38.801
    26 Middle link (by FM) -38.857
    27 Midfielders (by FM) -38.859
    28 Luke Benz -38.931
    29 Hybrid Machine Learning (by AZ) -38.949
    30 goalprojection -38.960
    31 Elo (by FM) -38.979
    32 InPlayFootballTips -39.326
    33 ClubElo/ClubTM (by FM) -39.364
    34 NT-ELO predictions (by Ed) -39.516
    35 Silver Aurora -39.517
    36 Footballgenius -39.535
    37 Fantomen -39.623
    38 Volkan Riolo -39.931
    39 tm (by FM) -40.043
    40 MH -40.201
    41 KonakaLab -40.371
    42 Econ1 (by FM) -41.248
    43 Swiss Football Data -42.002
    44 Forwards (by FM) -42.534
    45 Historic Match Model (by AZ) -42.613
    46 Lléo -42.664
    48 FoG -42.975
    49 Agnostic -42.975
    50 Alessandro Riolo -43.344
    51 Econ0 (by FM) -43.661
    52 Anders T -46.315
    53 Q1_Bias (by FM) -50.264
    54 Scrabble (by FM) -50.506
    55 Goal Experience (by FM) -51.133
    56 Experience (by FM) -58.006
    57 Jesper -102.784
    58 Dan Levy -106.694
    59 Mark -115.570

So apart from having a computer that won't open the spreadsheet and not having a battery in my calculator so I had to do all the calculations using a pencil and paper, what did I do wrong?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From milivella@21:1/5 to All on Wed Dec 21 03:46:46 2022
    Futbolmetrix:

Also, the way Goalkeepers was calculated was...erm...not great. It's the raw TransferMarkt value of the highest rated goalkeeper: so, Germany was given Ter Stegen's value, and France Areola's value. If I had adjusted by age (as I should have)

Why?! ter Stegen is the best German keeper, and Areola is the best
    French keeper.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05