• Argentinean League climax

From Mark@21:1/5 to All on Thu Oct 20 01:03:06 2022
    First, some bad news: Independiente's run of 8 years in a row qualifying for the Copa Sudamericana is over. :-( We're certain not to qualify for next year's tournament now.

Second, some more bad news. Possibly even worse. Racing Club might win the League.

Racing Club and Boca Juniors are the top 2, going into the last full round of matches. And Boca Juniors are playing at home on Sunday against .......Independiente!

I've never been in this situation before. It would be in our interests to lose against Boca, to stop Racing Club winning the League! I suppose we'll still try to win the match.

To make it even more interesting, Racing Club are also playing at home this weekend, against....River Plate, Boca's local rivals and my 14th favourite football club!

There is a tiny chance that Huracan could win the League, but I don't think that's going to happen. I think the least bad I can realistically hope for is for Independiente and River to both win this weekend, and then Boca win the League.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Mark@21:1/5 to Mark on Fri Oct 21 03:23:55 2022
    On Thursday, October 20, 2022 at 9:03:08 AM UTC+1, Mark wrote:
    First, some bad news: Independiente's run of 8 years in a row qualifying for the Copa Sudamericana is over. :-( We're certain not to qualify for next year's tournament now.

Second, some more bad news. Possibly even worse. Racing Club might win the League.

Racing Club and Boca Juniors are the top 2, going into the last full round of matches. And Boca Juniors are playing at home on Sunday against .......Independiente!

I've never been in this situation before. It would be in our interests to lose against Boca, to stop Racing Club winning the League! I suppose we'll still try to win the match.

To make it even more interesting, Racing Club are also playing at home this weekend, against....River Plate, Boca's local rivals and my 14th favourite football club!

There is a tiny chance that Huracan could win the League, but I don't think that's going to happen. I think the least bad I can realistically hope for is for Independiente and River to both win this weekend, and then Boca win the League.

I didn't know Boca were playing their game in hand last night. Where was that information online?

Boca won last night, the updated situation is; Boca and Racing Club have got 1 match left and Boca are 1 point clear at the top. Huracan are now 4 points behind Boca so they're out of contention. And on Sunday, the following 2 games are being played:

Boca Juniors (River's local rivals) v Independiente (my favourite club)
    Racing Club (Independiente's local rivals) v River Plate (my 14th favourite club)

So how motivated will Independiente and River be?

COME ON RIVER PLATE!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark@21:1/5 to Mark on Sat Oct 22 00:56:14 2022
    On Friday, October 21, 2022 at 11:23:57 AM UTC+1, Mark wrote:
    On Thursday, October 20, 2022 at 9:03:08 AM UTC+1, Mark wrote:

I didn't know Boca were playing their game in hand last night. Where was that information online?

Boca won last night, the updated situation is; Boca and Racing Club have got 1 match left and Boca are 1 point clear at the top. Huracan are now 4 points behind Boca so they're out of contention. And on Sunday, the following 2 games are being played:

Boca Juniors (River's local rivals) v Independiente (my favourite club) Racing Club (Independiente's local rivals) v River Plate (my 14th favourite club)

So how motivated will Independiente and River be?

COME ON RIVER PLATE!

Well nobody can accuse me of supporting half-heartedly because of the situation. I'm wearing my Independiente shirt this weekend.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Futbolmetrix@21:1/5 to Mark on Sun Oct 23 18:49:08 2022
    On Saturday, October 22, 2022 at 3:56:16 AM UTC-4, Mark wrote:

COME ON RIVER PLATE!
    Well nobody can accuse me of supporting half-heartedly because of the situation. I'm wearing my Independiente shirt this weekend.

It looks like it had quite an interesting ending. Tell us more about it

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Michael Falkner@21:1/5 to Michael Falkner on Mon Oct 24 09:51:22 2022
    On Monday, October 24, 2022 at 9:49:44 AM UTC-7, Michael Falkner wrote:

River Plate finish third on goal difference.

After Huracan lose 3-2 at Patronato.

Mike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Michael Falkner@21:1/5 to All on Mon Oct 24 09:49:42 2022
    Boca Juniors 2-2 draw with Independiente.

Racing had the league won with 10 minutes to go, but an 80th minute goal and a 95th minute goal by Miguel Borja won the game for River Plate 1-2, giving Boca Juniors the league title.

River Plate finish third on goal difference.

Mike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From =?UTF-8?B?TGzDqW8=?=@21:1/5 to All on Mon Oct 24 11:19:06 2022
    Michael Falkner escreveu:
    Boca Juniors 2-2 draw with Independiente.

Racing had the league won with 10 minutes to go, but an 80th minute goal
    and a 95th minute goal by Miguel Borja won the game for River Plate 1-2, giving Boca Juniors the league title.

Let's see how the league table changed as the goals poured in. Before the
    game, the standings were:

1 Boca Juniors 51 (GD +6)
    2 Racing Club 50 (GD +17)

1': Kickoff! Boca 0-0 Independiente, Racing 0-0 River; Boca 52, Racing 51.

32': Leandro Fernandez scores the opener for the Rojo, thus placing their archrivals at the top of the table by a thin margin. Boca 0-1 Independiente, Racing 0-0 River; Racing 51, Boca 51

34': But Guillermo Fernandez quickly equalizes for the Xeneizes. Boca 1-1 Independiente, Racing 0-0 River; Boca 52, Racing 51.

50': Villa scores from a free-kick for a comeback that puts Boca out of Racing's reach. Boca 2-1 Independiente, Racing 0-0 River; Boca 54, Racing 51.

56': But Matias Rojas scores the opener from a penalty kick at El Cilindro. Boca cannot afford a slip now. Boca 2-1 Independiente, Racing 1-0 River;
    Boca 54, Racing 53.

80': Miguel Borja draws level for River, prompting a celebration by Boca
    fans at La Bombonera. Boca 2-1 Independiente, Racing 1-1 River; Boca 54, Racing 51.

81': But it was short-lived joy, as Nicolás Vallejo immediately pulls one
    back for Rojo and brings Boca back within Racing's shooting range again.
    Boca 2-2 Independiente, Racing 1-1 River; Boca 52, Racing 51.

89': Shockwaves through the Greater Buenos Aires area as the referee calls
    a PENALTY FOR RACING AT EL CILINDRO. If Racing wins and the game at
    La Bombonera ends in a draw, it's Racing Campeón. But Jonathan Galván shoots it straight at Armani and then proceeds to balloon away the rebound. It's still Boca 2-2 Independiente, Racing 1-1 River; Boca 52, Racing 51.

95': And adding insult to injury (from a blanquiceleste perspective, at least), Borja scores the winner for River and seals Boca's triumph.
    Boca 2-2 Independiente, Racing 1-2 River. Boca 52, Racing 50.

Incredible finish indeed. I didn't watch the games, but by the way things unfolded, it seems clear that neither River nor Independiente laid down in order to screw their rival. A day to forget for Racing fans, I reckon. Cruel way to lose, c'est football I suppose.

--
    Lléo

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Futbolmetrix@21:1/5 to All on Mon Oct 24 12:10:32 2022
    On Monday, October 24, 2022 at 2:19:08 PM UTC-4, Lléo wrote:

89': Shockwaves through the Greater Buenos Aires area as the referee calls
    a PENALTY FOR RACING AT EL CILINDRO. If Racing wins and the game at
    La Bombonera ends in a draw, it's Racing Campeón. But Jonathan Galván shoots
    it straight at Armani and then proceeds to balloon away the rebound. It's still Boca 2-2 Independiente, Racing 1-1 River; Boca 52, Racing 51.

Great summary. I only saw a video of this incident, and I think it was a different Racing player who ballooned away the rebound, not the one who took the penalty.

Shades of Deportivo La Coruna throwing away a Liga title in the early 90s with a last minute missed penalty?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark@21:1/5 to Futbolmetrix on Tue Oct 25 08:54:32 2022
    On Monday, October 24, 2022 at 8:10:34 PM UTC+1, Futbolmetrix wrote:
    On Monday, October 24, 2022 at 2:19:08 PM UTC-4, Lléo wrote:

89': Shockwaves through the Greater Buenos Aires area as the referee calls a PENALTY FOR RACING AT EL CILINDRO. If Racing wins and the game at
    La Bombonera ends in a draw, it's Racing Campeón. But Jonathan Galván shoots
    it straight at Armani and then proceeds to balloon away the rebound. It's still Boca 2-2 Independiente, Racing 1-1 River; Boca 52, Racing 51.
    Great summary. I only saw a video of this incident, and I think it was a different Racing player who ballooned away the rebound, not the one who took the penalty.

Shades of Deportivo La Coruna throwing away a Liga title in the early 90s with a last minute missed penalty?

THANK YOU RIVER PLATE!!! They certainly deserve praise for their sense of fair play. They knew, regardless of the Boca-Independiente result, that a win would mean Boca would win the Championship! I wonder how the River Plate players and fans feel now!

I think I like River Plate even more now.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05