• (R/T) Conmebol WCQ 2026, Round 3

From =?UTF-8?B?TGzDqW8=?=@21:1/5 to All on Thu Oct 12 21:13:42 2023
    A handful of one-sided games; a huge upset which broke a long, long streak;
    a new record being set (youngest goalscorer); plus a nice couple of golaços. Overall, this has been an interesting day at Conmebol WCQ.

Colombia 2-2 Uruguay

Rather entertaining game under Barranquilla's afternoon heat at Estadio Metropolitano. Uruguay started the game with more intensity, while Colombia seemed to be saving fuel somehow. But it was the hosts that came up ahead, Santiago Arias crossed from the right wing and found James Rodrigues free in the box to make it 1-0, at the 34'. The first half ended thusly, but the second started in full throttle. Uruguay scored early (47'), Mathias Olivera heading in a corner kick, but four minutes later Uribe would put Colombia ahead again. Luis Diaz fought down near the left sideline and recovered the ball, then sent it over to the right side to Borre, who crossed into the penalty area to Uribe for a clean finish. The ball hit James Rodriguez's
    arm before reaching Uribe but, upon VAR review, the goal stood anyway.

Colombia then flourished and began to dominate the game, and could have run
    up the score beyond Uruguay's reach. A shot in the post, another in the bar and one mano-a-mano blown away by Diaz somehow kept a dizzled Uruguay in
    the game, whose fuel seemed to be in its last reserves. But they still had enough to make Colombia pay dearly for their mistakes. In the 88th minute, a long through pass set up Maxi Araujo for a mano-a-mano against Camilo Vargas. The Colombian keeper brought him down, for a penalty kick and a red card. Colombia still had a sub to make and brought in their reserve keeper Alvaro Montero, but Darwin Nuñez scored and saved Uruguay a valuable away point.

Argentina 1-0 Paraguay

Although the score was tight, Argentina dominated and handily beat Paraguay
    at Estadio Monumental de Nuñez, in Buenos Aires. Two minutes into the game,
    a corner kick taken by Rodrigo De Paul found Otamendi in the box. He didn't let the ball bounce and scored from a nice one-time volley finish. Paraguay resisted as well as they could, but they could do little and Argentina created several other scoring chances.

Messi was preserved and came into the game in the second half. He did find
    the time to hit the post twice, first from a corner kick and then from a
    free kick, quite similar to the one he scored against Ecuador in Round 1.

Bolivia 1-2 Ecuador

A somewhat even game at Estadio Hernando Siles, in La Paz. 16-year old Kendry Paez, who is set to join Chelsea in the summer of 2025, scored the opener
    for the visitors near the end of the first half. He became the youngest goalscorer in Conmebol WCQ history. Rodrigo Ramallo scored the equaliser in the 82nd minute and that seemed to be it, but six minutes into injury time Kevin Rodriguez scored the winner for Ecuador.

Chile 2-0 Peru

Pacific Coast derby at Estadio Monumental de Santiago. Chile dominated the game and forced some acrobatics out of Peruvian goalkeeper Pedro Gallese.
    They eventually found their goals in the second half, by Diego Valdés (74th minute) and Marcelino Nuñez (one minute into injury time).

Brasil 1-1 Venezuela

Big upset at Arena Pantanal, in Cuiabá, and a huge step ahead for Venezuela
    on their quest to reach North America'2026. The game was largely an attack
    vs defense drill, with Brasil piling on the pressure and Venezuela bravely holding them at arms' length. It was thought that the floodgates would open when, in the 49th minute, Neymar took a free kick and Gabriel Magalhães headed
    in the 1-0. But they didn't, and Venezuela still held on, as Brasil piled up mistake over mistake and missed several chances.

Eventually, on one of their rare breaks, Venezuela struck one back beautifully.
    Cáceres spun around Gerson and found a pass towards the right wing to Savarino,
    who crossed into the box. Eduard Bello struck a beautiful bycicle kick which Ederson could only helplessly watch sailing in. Golaço of the round, no doubt about it.

Brasil put Venezuela against the wall for the remaining of the game and the 10 minutes of time added on signalled by the referee, but the vinotinto held their
    ground somehow and celebrated an unexpected and very valuable away point.

It was the second time in history that Venezuela pulls off a draw against Brasil.
    Funnily enough both occasions were in Brasil, the earlier one being in 2009 (played
    in Campo Grande), in the last round of the qualifiers. Also, with this result, Venezuela broke Brasil's streak of 15 home wins in a row at the WCQ.

Table [points, games, w-d-l, gs-gc, gd, (mi = media inglese)]

1 Argentina 9 3 3 0 0 5-0 5+ (mi +2)
    2 Brasil 7 3 2 1 0 7-2 5+ (mi 0)
    3 Colombia 5 3 1 2 0 3-2 1+ (mi -2)
    4 Uruguay 4 3 1 1 1 6-5 1+ (mi -1)
    5 Chile 4 3 1 1 1 3-3 0 (mi -3)
    6 Venezuela 4 3 1 1 1 2-2 0 (mi -1)
    -----------------------------
    7 Ecuador 3 3 2 0 1 4-3 0 (mi +1) (-3 points penalty) -----------------------------
    8 Paraguay 1 3 0 1 2 0-2 2- (mi -4)
    9 Peru 1 3 0 1 2 0-3 3- (mi -4)
    10 Bolivia 0 3 0 0 3 2-10 8- (mi -7)

Next round to be played on October 17th. In brackets below, the results of these games in the WCQ cycles of 2022/2018/2014/2010/2006/2002/1998 (all the round robin ones so far):

Venezuela - Chile (2-1, 1-4, 0-2, 2-3, 0-1, 0-2, 1-1)

I guess Venezuela goes into their next match with morale soaring upwards.
    This is an important game for their qualifying bid, the kind of one they'd prefer not to drop points on. Chile isn't that good, but won't be a trivial visitor, though. I'll call a very close win for the hosts, VEN 1-0 CHI (in soph-terms: Venezuela 0.40, draw 0.30, Chile 0.30).

Paraguay - Bolivia (2-2, 2-1, 4-0, 1-0, 4-1, 5-1, 2-1)

This is a rather mediocre Paraguayan side, but they play the continent's weakest team at Defensores del Chaco, in Asunción. They've drawn last time around, but I think the hosts win this time. Say, PAR 1-0 BOL (in soph-terms: Paraguay 0.70, draw 0.25, Bolivia 0.05).

Ecuador - Colombia (6-1, 0-2, 1-0, 0-0, 2-1, 0-0, 0-1)

This should be an interesting one, at Estadio Casa Blanca in Quito. Ecuador would be also hovering the top of the table, had they not been given a 3 points penalty. Should be a tough, close one. I'll call it a draw, 1-1 (in soph-terms: Ecuador 0.35, draw 0.35, Colombia 0.30).

Uruguay - Brasil (0-2, 1-4, n/a, 0-4, 1-1, 1-0, n/a)

The old derby rears its head again. It undergoes an epoch of contrasts. On
    one hand, it evokes the sheer weight of this match's history and traditions, each side's players and achievements; the imagery of the celeste jerseys, whose wearers always clinch their teeth and make of Estadio Centenario an impregnable fortress, doubly so whenever the visitor is Brasil (or Argentina); the long list of hard fought games, sometimes literally so, that would usually end either in a draw or a close win for whoever plays as hosts.

On the other hand, reality: of all South American sides, Uruguay is the one that is on the longest dry spell against Brasil. Recoba's mazy run through
    the Brazilian defense, ended by a tackle by Cafu right under the referee's nose, inside the penalty area, which resulted in a penalty kick converted by Magallanes on July 1st, 2001, was their last hurrah so far. Since then, every other South American team has beaten Brasil at least once (Venezuela did that on a friendly in 2008, all others did so in competition game(s)). Uruguay is still waiting. Indeed, Brasil's last three visits to El Centenario in WCQ games, in the last 15 years or so, resulted in strangely easy wins.

For the game at hand, Brasil hasn't been playing well at all, having just grinded a last minute win over Peru and then drawn Venezuela at home. Uruguay is a much better side than anything Brasil has faced in this WCQ, but unlike Brasil's former opponents, they'll be expected to come out and play. We'll
    see how that matches up with Diniz's approach. I think Uruguay won't break their drought on this one, but it won't be anything like the previous three
    in Montevideo. I'll call it a 1-1 draw (in soph-terms: Uruguay 0.35, draw 0.35,
    Brasil 0.30).

Peru - Argentina (0-2, 2-2, 1-1, 1-1, 1-3, 1-2, 0-0)

Peru doesn't look like they'll do much this time around, while Argentina remains
    on a roll. At Estadio Nacional de Lima, maybe the hosts will try something, but I don't really see Argentina dropping the ball on this one. I'll call PER 0-1 ARG
    (in soph-terms: Peru 0.25, draw 0.30, Argentina 0.45).

Best regards,

Lléo

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Mark@21:1/5 to so I couldn't see what you on Mon Oct 16 05:49:12 2023
    On Friday, October 13, 2023 at 5:13:44 AM UTC+1, Lléo wrote:

Brasil 1-1 Venezuela

Didn't you give Brazil a probability of 1 of winning this? Or was it just a probability of 0 of Venezuela winning?

Next round to be played on October 17th. In brackets below, the results of these games in the WCQ cycles of 2022/2018/2014/2010/2006/2002/1998 (all the round robin ones so far):

Google groups was playing up earlier, so I couldn't see what you wrote about these matches, so my lack of guidance from a native South American is my excuse if I get a poor score on these. I just had to use Wikipedia.

I guess Venezuela goes into their next match with morale soaring upwards. This is an important game for their qualifying bid, the kind of one they'd prefer not to drop points on. Chile isn't that good, but won't be a trivial visitor, though. I'll call a very close win for the hosts, VEN 1-0 CHI (in soph-terms: Venezuela 0.40, draw 0.30, Chile 0.30).

Venezuela 1 Chile 1

This is a rather mediocre Paraguayan side, but they play the continent's weakest team at Defensores del Chaco, in Asunción. They've drawn last time around, but I think the hosts win this time. Say, PAR 1-0 BOL (in soph-terms:
    Paraguay 0.70, draw 0.25, Bolivia 0.05).

Paraguay 3 Bolivia 1

This should be an interesting one, at Estadio Casa Blanca in Quito. Ecuador would be also hovering the top of the table, had they not been given a 3 points
    penalty. Should be a tough, close one. I'll call it a draw, 1-1 (in soph-terms:
    Ecuador 0.35, draw 0.35, Colombia 0.30).

Ecuador 2 Colombia 2

The old derby rears its head again. It undergoes an epoch of contrasts. On one hand, it evokes the sheer weight of this match's history and traditions, each side's players and achievements; the imagery of the celeste jerseys, whose wearers always clinch their teeth and make of Estadio Centenario an impregnable fortress, doubly so whenever the visitor is Brasil (or Argentina);
    the long list of hard fought games, sometimes literally so, that would usually
    end either in a draw or a close win for whoever plays as hosts.

On the other hand, reality: of all South American sides, Uruguay is the one that is on the longest dry spell against Brasil. Recoba's mazy run through the Brazilian defense, ended by a tackle by Cafu right under the referee's nose, inside the penalty area, which resulted in a penalty kick converted by Magallanes on July 1st, 2001, was their last hurrah so far. Since then, every
    other South American team has beaten Brasil at least once (Venezuela did that
    on a friendly in 2008, all others did so in competition game(s)). Uruguay is still waiting. Indeed, Brasil's last three visits to El Centenario in WCQ games, in the last 15 years or so, resulted in strangely easy wins.

For the game at hand, Brasil hasn't been playing well at all, having just grinded a last minute win over Peru and then drawn Venezuela at home. Uruguay
    is a much better side than anything Brasil has faced in this WCQ, but unlike Brasil's former opponents, they'll be expected to come out and play. We'll see how that matches up with Diniz's approach. I think Uruguay won't break their drought on this one, but it won't be anything like the previous three in Montevideo. I'll call it a 1-1 draw (in soph-terms: Uruguay 0.35, draw 0.35,
    Brasil 0.30).

Uruguay 2 Brazil 2

Peru doesn't look like they'll do much this time around, while Argentina remains
    on a roll. At Estadio Nacional de Lima, maybe the hosts will try something, but
    I don't really see Argentina dropping the ball on this one. I'll call PER 0-1 ARG

Peru 0 Argentina 1

Best regards,

Lléo

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark@21:1/5 to Mark on Wed Oct 18 06:08:20 2023
    On Monday, October 16, 2023 at 1:49:14 PM UTC+1, Mark wrote:
    On Friday, October 13, 2023 at 5:13:44 AM UTC+1, Lléo wrote:

Brasil 1-1 Venezuela

Didn't you give Brazil a probability of 1 of winning this? Or was it just a probability of 0 of Venezuela winning?
    Next round to be played on October 17th. In brackets below, the results of these games in the WCQ cycles of 2022/2018/2014/2010/2006/2002/1998 (all the
    round robin ones so far):
    Google groups was playing up earlier, so I couldn't see what you wrote about these matches, so my lack of guidance from a native South American is my excuse if I get a poor score on these. I just had to use Wikipedia.

I guess Venezuela goes into their next match with morale soaring upwards. This is an important game for their qualifying bid, the kind of one they'd prefer not to drop points on. Chile isn't that good, but won't be a trivial
    visitor, though. I'll call a very close win for the hosts, VEN 1-0 CHI (in soph-terms: Venezuela 0.40, draw 0.30, Chile 0.30).
    Venezuela 1 Chile 1

Lleo 70 points
    Mark 0 points

This is a rather mediocre Paraguayan side, but they play the continent's weakest team at Defensores del Chaco, in Asunción. They've drawn last time
    around, but I think the hosts win this time. Say, PAR 1-0 BOL (in soph-terms:
    Paraguay 0.70, draw 0.25, Bolivia 0.05).
    Paraguay 3 Bolivia 1

Lleo 100
    Mark 60

This should be an interesting one, at Estadio Casa Blanca in Quito. Ecuador
    would be also hovering the top of the table, had they not been given a 3 points
    penalty. Should be a tough, close one. I'll call it a draw, 1-1 (in soph-terms:
    Ecuador 0.35, draw 0.35, Colombia 0.30).
    Ecuador 2 Colombia 2

Lleo 90
    Mark 80

The old derby rears its head again. It undergoes an epoch of contrasts. On one hand, it evokes the sheer weight of this match's history and traditions,
    each side's players and achievements; the imagery of the celeste jerseys, whose wearers always clinch their teeth and make of Estadio Centenario an impregnable fortress, doubly so whenever the visitor is Brasil (or Argentina);
    the long list of hard fought games, sometimes literally so, that would usually
    end either in a draw or a close win for whoever plays as hosts.

On the other hand, reality: of all South American sides, Uruguay is the one
    that is on the longest dry spell against Brasil. Recoba's mazy run through the Brazilian defense, ended by a tackle by Cafu right under the referee's nose, inside the penalty area, which resulted in a penalty kick converted by
    Magallanes on July 1st, 2001, was their last hurrah so far. Since then, every
    other South American team has beaten Brasil at least once (Venezuela did that
    on a friendly in 2008, all others did so in competition game(s)). Uruguay is
    still waiting. Indeed, Brasil's last three visits to El Centenario in WCQ games, in the last 15 years or so, resulted in strangely easy wins.

For the game at hand, Brasil hasn't been playing well at all, having just grinded a last minute win over Peru and then drawn Venezuela at home. Uruguay
    is a much better side than anything Brasil has faced in this WCQ, but unlike
    Brasil's former opponents, they'll be expected to come out and play. We'll see how that matches up with Diniz's approach. I think Uruguay won't break their drought on this one, but it won't be anything like the previous three
    in Montevideo. I'll call it a 1-1 draw (in soph-terms: Uruguay 0.35, draw 0.35,
    Brasil 0.30).
    Uruguay 2 Brazil 2

Lleo 0
    Mark 0

on a roll. At Estadio Nacional de Lima, maybe the hosts will try something, but
    I don't really see Argentina dropping the ball on this one. I'll call PER 0-1 ARG
    Peru 0 Argentina 1

Lleo 85
    Mark 85

Totals:
    Lleo 345 points
    Mark 225 points

I didn't do particularly well there.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05