• The end of Barca?

From Michael Falkner@21:1/5 to All on Thu Sep 28 12:16:03 2023
    Judicial authorities in Spain are gathering evidence that the entire dominant run of Barcelona was aided and promoted by seven million Euros paid to the vice president of Spain's refereeing division.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_/id/38510081/barcelona-probed-suspected-bribery-ref-case-report

Mike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Blueshirt@21:1/5 to Michael Falkner on Thu Sep 28 21:41:22 2023
    Michael Falkner wrote:

Judicial authorities in Spain are gathering evidence that the entire
    dominant run of Barcelona was aided and promoted by seven million Euros
    paid to the vice president of Spain's refereeing division.

Not just Spanish referees either I'd say. Does anyone remember that bald Norwegian dude Tom Henning Ovrebo? If he wasn't paid off by Barcelona
    and/or UEFA then nobody was! Too make that many big mistakes is either
    very unlucky or very dodgy. I go with the latter.

FC Barcelona are going nowhere though... if they was a small club they
    might be in trouble, but the name Barcelona is enough to keep them in
    business.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From The Doctor@21:1/5 to darkstar7646@gmail.com on Fri Sep 29 14:28:34 2023
    In article <c591e34a-e6d8-486f-a0d7-3220287da0f9n@googlegroups.com>,
    Michael Falkner <darkstar7646@gmail.com> wrote:
    Judicial authorities in Spain are gathering evidence that the entire
    dominant run of Barcelona was aided and promoted by seven million Euros
    paid to the vice president of Spain's refereeing division.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_/id/38510081/barcelona-probed-suspected-bribery-ref-case-report

Mike

End them!
    --
    Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nk.ca Ici doctor@nk.ca
    Yahweh, King & country!Never Satan President Republic!Beware AntiChrist rising! Look at Psalms 14 and 53 on Atheism https://www.empire.kred/ROOTNK?t=94a1f39b Manitoba on 3 Oct 2023 vote Liberal! Beware https://mindspring.com

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Michael Falkner@21:1/5 to Blueshirt on Fri Sep 29 19:29:16 2023
    On Thursday, September 28, 2023 at 12:41:26 PM UTC-7, Blueshirt wrote:

FC Barcelona are going nowhere though... if they was a small club they
    might be in trouble, but the name Barcelona is enough to keep them in business.

I dunno. You're now not only talking financial improprieties for the better part of their top run, but paying off the domestic referees on top of it.

Mike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From FF@21:1/5 to Michael Falkner on Thu Oct 5 12:15:37 2023
    On Thursday, September 28, 2023 at 10:16:05 PM UTC+3, Michael Falkner wrote:
    Judicial authorities in Spain are gathering evidence that the entire dominant run of Barcelona was aided and promoted by seven million Euros paid to the vice president of Spain's refereeing division.

Mike

If you ask me, 7 million in 18 years doesn't sound like that much, at this level. About 400,000 a year. Pocket money for Messi. I'd imagine much more would be needed for actually paying refs so that they favor you significantly.
    Besides, I understand this is just in Spain. Now, IIRC in that period Barca would have hardly needed special treatment against anybody else in Spain than Real. And I find it very difficult to swallow that somehow Barca's influence over the refs in Spain
    was bigger that Real's. They must have had their connections too and would have known if something fishy was going on against them.

I'd also ask if this thing with the "technical reports about refs" is something that only Barca did. If so, then indeed it seems strange. If others do it too then I don't see the problem.
    Of course anything is possible but right now my guess would be this is going nowhere.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From FF@21:1/5 to All on Fri Oct 6 16:29:40 2023
    On Thursday, October 5, 2023 at 10:15:40 PM UTC+3, FF wrote:
    On Thursday, September 28, 2023 at 10:16:05 PM UTC+3, Michael Falkner wrote:

Mike
    If you ask me, 7 million in 18 years doesn't sound like that much, at this level. About 400,000 a year. Pocket money for Messi. I'd imagine much more would be needed for actually paying refs so that they favor you significantly.
    Besides, I understand this is just in Spain. Now, IIRC in that period Barca would have hardly needed special treatment against anybody else in Spain than Real. And I find it very difficult to swallow that somehow Barca's influence over the refs in
    Spain was bigger that Real's. They must have had their connections too and would have known if something fishy was going on against them.

I'd also ask if this thing with the "technical reports about refs" is something that only Barca did. If so, then indeed it seems strange. If others do it too then I don't see the problem.
    Of course anything is possible but right now my guess would be this is going nowhere.

Besides, I've thought a little more about it and I don't trust it for a few other reasons. 1. It's too late. The period of interest is until 2012, after that Barca weren't dominant in Spain any more. So it's more than 10 years ago. Barca did it in plain
    sight, why didn't they step in before ? And 2. It could very well be politically motivated, with Catalonia's independence quest and their accusations of corruption towards the rest of Spain (which of course are true). So I really wouldn't know if I can
    trust the spanish state more than Barca on this one.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05