• Why are MLS Team Names Terrible?

From Terrence Clay@21:1/5 to All on Thu Sep 21 18:49:38 2023
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9w5CxwskoA

I’m back. It took longer than I thought to get over this cold, but my voice is back. Also if the audio sounds different, I had to use a different “microphone” because my old one decided to self-destruct at the worst possible time.

What a way to make my first MLS/Soccer video. A ramble about why (most, if not all) Major League Soccer names are terrible and need to be replaced. In a league that has grown over the years, the names of their teams are going backwards to a more
    traditional route. I know they want to target hard-nosed traditional European fans and players, but this is (North) America! Star Spangled Banner plays in the background

Back to the point. Major League Soccer is a professional league (I’m grateful that St. Louis has a team btw), but the one thing that separates them from the other 4 North American sports leagues are team names. It might not be a big deal to you, but as
    someone who is fascinated by the brand design of sports teams, it is to me. Just watch the video and argue in the comments afterwards.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Mark@21:1/5 to Terrence Clay on Sat Sep 23 03:21:46 2023
    On Friday, September 22, 2023 at 2:49:40 AM UTC+1, Terrence Clay wrote:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9w5CxwskoA

I’m back. It took longer than I thought to get over this cold, but my voice is back. Also if the audio sounds different, I had to use a different “microphone” because my old one decided to self-destruct at the worst possible time.

What a way to make my first MLS/Soccer video. A ramble about why (most, if not all) Major League Soccer names are terrible and need to be replaced. In a league that has grown over the years, the names of their teams are going backwards to a more
    traditional route. I know they want to target hard-nosed traditional European fans and players, but this is (North) America! Star Spangled Banner plays in the background

Back to the point. Major League Soccer is a professional league (I’m grateful that St. Louis has a team btw), but the one thing that separates them from the other 4 North American sports leagues are team names. It might not be a big deal to you, but
    as someone who is fascinated by the brand design of sports teams, it is to me. Just watch the video and argue in the comments afterwards.

I don't follow the MLS, but if it's anything like the NWSL I can understand you complaining about the names. San Diego Wave! and Houston Dash! and Kansas City Current! (as opposed to Kansas City past, ie FC Kansas City? That's the only way that one makes
    any sense to me.) And the worst one ever was probably Western New York Flash. Although Boston Breakers, and Sky Blue certainly come close to beating it.

And why are they so often referred to as THE Portand Thorns, or THE North Carolina Courage or whatever; or even just the Thorns or the Courage? You don't hear Boca Juniors or Real Madrid referred to as the Boca Juniors or the Real Madrid. What's that
    about?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)