• (R/T) Conmebol WCQ 2026, Round 1

From =?UTF-8?B?TGzDqW8=?=@21:1/5 to All on Fri Sep 8 20:56:18 2023
    And another World Cup cycle begins. Conmebol opens this time around with an almost complete sweep by the hosts. Messi and Neymar set personal records,
    as their teams dominate and put out a good show for their crowds.

Paraguay 0-0 Peru

If a shot in the post counted as a goal, this one would have ended a 5-1 blowout to the hosts. Alas, it doesn't, so it was honours even at Estadio Antonio Aranda, in Ciudad del Este. Paraguay made most of the play and their domination only became more complete when Advíncula was sent off at the end
    of the first half. The posts, added by an inspired match by goalkeeper Pedro Gallese, saved the visitors a valuable away point.

Colombia 1-0 Venezuela

Valderrama once said that, against Colombia, Venezuela always put out that extra effort, and it showed in this game's first half, at Estadio Metropolitano de Barranquilla. The vinotinto had their chances, but finished them poorly.
    In the second half, it took 19 seconds for Borré to score Colombia's winner. Venezuela deflated after that and it was Colombia's game from that moment on, but 1-0 it stayed.

Argentina 1-0 Ecuador

A dominant victory by Argentina, in front of a full house at Estadio Monumental de Nuñez, in Buenos Aires. They created several chances and could have won
    by more, but Ecuador held on bravely. Lionel Messi had a very good game and eventually was the one that unlocked the Ecuadoran blockade, with a very neat free kick at the 77th minute, which was his 29th WCQ goal, thus matching Luis Suárez's record. Ecuador barely created a couple of chances, but did play hard
    and made itself a tough nut to crack. But, at the same time, they were lucky to
    have only conceded once.

I didn't know it, but Ecuador has been docked 3 points for irregularly lining up Byron Castillo in the last WCQ cycle. So, they remain at -3 and in the last position.

Uruguay 3-1 Chile

A mostly one-sided game at Estadio Centenario, in Montevideo, where the hosts created almost all of the scoring chances and made most of the play. Goals by de la Cruz (37'), Valverde (45') and de la Cruz again (70') put the match beyond Chile's retrieval. Vidal scored one back for Chile at the 73', but it was only to be a consolation goal. A good start for Bielsa in charge of La Celeste.

Brasil 5-1 Bolivia

A predictably easy victory for Brasil at Estadio Mangueirão, in Belém. The first
    half was a bit chippy and Bolivian goalkeeper Guillermo Viscarra put out a great
    performance, saving a penalty from Neymar and making several good saves. Bolivia
    limited damages and held Brasil to 1-0, goal by Rodrygo in the 23'.

But in the second half, the floodgates opened. Raphinha (46'), Rodrygo again (52')
    and Neymar (60' and 92') finished off La Verde, whose honour goal was scored by
    Abrego (77').

Neymar was tied with Pelé as Brasil's record goalscorer, with 77 goals. His goals
    today meant Pelé's record is broken and is now Neymar's. He celebrated imitating
    Pelé's classical celebration of jumping and punching the air.

Table [points, games, w-d-l, gs-gc, gd]

1 Brasil 3 1 1 0 0 5-1 4+
    2 Uruguay 3 1 1 0 0 3-1 2+
    3 Argentina 3 1 1 0 0 1-0 1+
    4 Colombia 3 1 1 0 0 1-0 1+
    5 Paraguay 1 1 0 1 0 0-0 0
    6 Peru 1 1 0 1 0 0-0 0
    -----------------------------
    7 Venezuela 0 1 0 0 1 0-1 1-
    8 Chile 0 1 0 0 1 1-3 2-
    9 Bolivia 0 1 0 0 1 1-5 4-
    10 Ecuador -3 1 0 0 1 0-1 1-

Next round to be played on March 29th. In brackets below, the results of these games in the WCQ cycles of 2018/2014/2010/2006/2002/1998 (all the round robin ones so far):

Bolivia - Argentina (1-2, 2-0, 1-1, 6-1, 1-2, 3-3, 2-1)

In principle a tough fixture at Estadio Hernando Siles, in the altitude of La Paz. But the gulf between the two teams is so vast that it gets hard to see Argentina dropping points here. I'll go for BOL 1-2 ARG (in soph-terms: Bolivia 0.20, draw 0.35, Argentina 0.45).

Ecuador - Uruguay (4-2, 2-1, 1-0, 1-2, 0-0, 1-1, 4-0)

Another one with the altitude factor to be accounted for, at Estadio Casa Blanca,
    in Quito. Uruguay looked good in the opener and Ecuador kept it respectable as visitors against the incumbent world champions. Should be a close one. I'll call
    a 1-1 draw (in soph-terms: Ecuador 0.35, draw 0.35, Uruguay 0.30)

Venezuela - Paraguay (0-1, 0-1, 1-1, 1-2, 0-1, 3-1, 0-2)

Not sure what to expect from this one, to be played at Estadio Monumental de Maturín. I don't rate Venezuela much, so I think Paraguay might steal a win here,
    but they don't inspire confidence enough for a bold prediction, do they? My prediction will bea modest VEN 0-1 PAR (in soph-terms: Venezuela 0.25, draw 0.35,
    Paraguay 0.40).

Chile - Colombia (2-2, 1-1, 1-3, 4-0, 0-0, 0-1, 4-1)

Colombia seems to be the better side, but Chile shouldn't be a pushover and
    the host factor, at Estadio Monumental de Santiago, might level the scales.
    I think this will be up for grabs, with a very slight edge for the visitors. I'll go for a draw, 1-1 (in soph-terms: Chile 0.30, draw 0.35, Colombia 0.35)

Peru - Brasil (2-4, 0-2, n/a, 1-1, 1-1, 0-1, n/a)

Brasil visits Estadio Nacional de Lima as the favorite against the hosts. Peru might put up a fight but, barring an upset, Brasil should win. I'll predict PER 0-2 BRA (in soph-terms: Peru 0.20, draw 0.20, Brasil 0.60).

Best regards,

Lléo

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Real Mardin@21:1/5 to All on Sat Sep 9 03:09:07 2023
    On Saturday, September 9, 2023 at 4:56:21 AM UTC+1, Lléo wrote:
    And another World Cup cycle begins. Conmebol opens this time around with an almost complete sweep by the hosts. Messi and Neymar set personal records, as their teams dominate and put out a good show for their crowds.

Paraguay 0-0 Peru

If a shot in the post counted as a goal, this one would have ended a 5-1 blowout to the hosts. Alas, it doesn't, so it was honours even at Estadio Antonio Aranda, in Ciudad del Este. Paraguay made most of the play and their domination only became more complete when Advíncula was sent off at the end of the first half. The posts, added by an inspired match by goalkeeper Pedro Gallese, saved the visitors a valuable away point.

Colombia 1-0 Venezuela

Valderrama once said that, against Colombia, Venezuela always put out that extra effort, and it showed in this game's first half, at Estadio Metropolitano
    de Barranquilla. The vinotinto had their chances, but finished them poorly. In the second half, it took 19 seconds for Borré to score Colombia's winner.
    Venezuela deflated after that and it was Colombia's game from that moment on,
    but 1-0 it stayed.

Argentina 1-0 Ecuador

A dominant victory by Argentina, in front of a full house at Estadio Monumental
    de Nuñez, in Buenos Aires. They created several chances and could have won by more, but Ecuador held on bravely. Lionel Messi had a very good game and eventually was the one that unlocked the Ecuadoran blockade, with a very neat
    free kick at the 77th minute, which was his 29th WCQ goal, thus matching Luis
    Suárez's record. Ecuador barely created a couple of chances, but did play hard
    have only conceded once.

I didn't know it, but Ecuador has been docked 3 points for irregularly lining
    up Byron Castillo in the last WCQ cycle. So, they remain at -3 and in the last
    position.

Uruguay 3-1 Chile

A mostly one-sided game at Estadio Centenario, in Montevideo, where the hosts
    created almost all of the scoring chances and made most of the play. Goals by
    de la Cruz (37'), Valverde (45') and de la Cruz again (70') put the match beyond Chile's retrieval. Vidal scored one back for Chile at the 73', but it was only to be a consolation goal. A good start for Bielsa in charge of La Celeste.

Brasil 5-1 Bolivia

A predictably easy victory for Brasil at Estadio Mangueirão, in Belém. The first
    half was a bit chippy and Bolivian goalkeeper Guillermo Viscarra put out a great
    performance, saving a penalty from Neymar and making several good saves. Bolivia

But in the second half, the floodgates opened. Raphinha (46'), Rodrygo again (52')
    and Neymar (60' and 92') finished off La Verde, whose honour goal

Ahh - so there is football culture other than Turkey that uses the term "honour goal" as opposed to "consolation goal".

was scored by
    Abrego (77').

Neymar was tied with Pelé as Brasil's record goalscorer, with 77 goals. His goals
    today meant Pelé's record is broken and is now Neymar's. He celebrated imitating

6 Peru 1 1 0 1 0 0-0 0
    8 Chile 0 1 0 0 1 1-3 2-

Next round to be played on March 29th. In brackets below, the results of these
    games in the WCQ cycles of 2018/2014/2010/2006/2002/1998 (all the round robin
    ones so far):

In principle a tough fixture at Estadio Hernando Siles, in the altitude of La
    Paz. But the gulf between the two teams is so vast that it gets hard to see Argentina dropping points here. I'll go for BOL 1-2 ARG (in soph-terms: Bolivia
    0.20, draw 0.35, Argentina 0.45).

Another one with the altitude factor to be accounted for, at Estadio Casa Blanca,
    in Quito. Uruguay looked good in the opener and Ecuador kept it respectable as
    visitors against the incumbent world champions. Should be a close one. I'll call

Not sure what to expect from this one, to be played at Estadio Monumental de Maturín. I don't rate Venezuela much, so I think Paraguay might steal a win here,
    but they don't inspire confidence enough for a bold prediction, do they? My prediction will bea modest VEN 0-1 PAR (in soph-terms: Venezuela 0.25, draw 0.35,
    Paraguay 0.40).

Colombia seems to be the better side, but Chile shouldn't be a pushover and the host factor, at Estadio Monumental de Santiago, might level the scales. I think this will be up for grabs, with a very slight edge for the visitors. I'll go for a draw, 1-1 (in soph-terms: Chile 0.30, draw 0.35, Colombia 0.35)

Brasil visits Estadio Nacional de Lima as the favorite against the hosts. Peru
    might put up a fight but, barring an upset, Brasil should win. I'll predict PER 0-2 BRA (in soph-terms: Peru 0.20, draw 0.20, Brasil 0.60).

Best regards,

Lléo

Great report as always.

After the aberration of 2022 it feels good to get World Cup 2026 qualifying under way.

RM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Real Mardin@21:1/5 to All on Sat Sep 9 03:16:10 2023
    And another World Cup cycle begins. Conmebol opens this time around with an almost complete sweep by the hosts. Messi and Neymar set personal records, as their teams dominate and put out a good show for their crowds.

Paraguay 0-0 Peru

If a shot in the post counted as a goal, this one would have ended a 5-1 blowout to the hosts. Alas, it doesn't, so it was honours even at Estadio Antonio Aranda, in Ciudad del Este. Paraguay made most of the play and their domination only became more complete when Advíncula was sent off at the end of the first half. The posts, added by an inspired match by goalkeeper Pedro Gallese, saved the visitors a valuable away point.

Colombia 1-0 Venezuela

Valderrama once said that, against Colombia, Venezuela always put out that extra effort, and it showed in this game's first half, at Estadio Metropolitano
    de Barranquilla. The vinotinto had their chances, but finished them poorly. In the second half, it took 19 seconds for Borré to score Colombia's winner.
    Venezuela deflated after that and it was Colombia's game from that moment on,
    but 1-0 it stayed.

Argentina 1-0 Ecuador

A dominant victory by Argentina, in front of a full house at Estadio Monumental
    de Nuñez, in Buenos Aires. They created several chances and could have won by more, but Ecuador held on bravely. Lionel Messi had a very good game and eventually was the one that unlocked the Ecuadoran blockade, with a very neat
    free kick at the 77th minute, which was his 29th WCQ goal, thus matching Luis
    Suárez's record. Ecuador barely created a couple of chances, but did play hard
    have only conceded once.

position.

Uruguay 3-1 Chile

A mostly one-sided game at Estadio Centenario, in Montevideo, where the hosts
    created almost all of the scoring chances and made most of the play. Goals by
    de la Cruz (37'), Valverde (45') and de la Cruz again (70') put the match beyond Chile's retrieval. Vidal scored one back for Chile at the 73', but it was only to be a consolation goal. A good start for Bielsa in charge of La Celeste.

Brasil 5-1 Bolivia

and Neymar (60' and 92') finished off La Verde, whose honour goal was scored by
    Abrego (77').

6 Peru 1 1 0 1 0 0-0 0
    8 Chile 0 1 0 0 1 1-3 2-

Next round to be played on March 29th.

Looks like 12th September according to google and the COMNEBOL site?

12/9:

Bolivia - Argentina

Ecuador - Uruguay

Venezuela - Paraguay

13/9:

Chile - Colombia

Peru - Brazil

?

RM

In brackets below, the results of these
    games in the WCQ cycles of 2018/2014/2010/2006/2002/1998 (all the round robin
    ones so far):

Paz. But the gulf between the two teams is so vast that it gets hard to see Argentina dropping points here. I'll go for BOL 1-2 ARG (in soph-terms: Bolivia

visitors against the incumbent world champions. Should be a close one. I'll call

Paraguay 0.40).

Colombia seems to be the better side, but Chile shouldn't be a pushover and the host factor, at Estadio Monumental de Santiago, might level the scales. I think this will be up for grabs, with a very slight edge for the visitors. I'll go for a draw, 1-1 (in soph-terms: Chile 0.30, draw 0.35, Colombia 0.35)

might put up a fight but, barring an upset, Brasil should win. I'll predict PER 0-2 BRA (in soph-terms: Peru 0.20, draw 0.20, Brasil 0.60).

Best regards,

Lléo

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From =?UTF-8?B?TGzDqW8=?=@21:1/5 to All on Sat Sep 9 09:18:14 2023
    Em sábado, 9 de setembro de 2023 às 07:16:12 UTC-3, Real Mardin escreveu:
    Next round to be played on March 29th.
    Looks like 12th September according to google and the COMNEBOL site?

12/9:

Bolivia - Argentina

Ecuador - Uruguay

Venezuela - Paraguay

13/9:

Chile - Colombia

Peru - Brazil

?

It is as you say. I had copied that sentence from a previous report (since it is always there) and forgot to correct
    the date. Thanks for the correction!

Best regards,

Lléo

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From =?UTF-8?B?TGzDqW8=?=@21:1/5 to All on Sat Sep 9 11:53:27 2023
    Em sábado, 9 de setembro de 2023 às 07:09:09 UTC-3, Real Mardin escreveu:
    But in the second half, the floodgates opened. Raphinha (46'), Rodrygo again (52') and Neymar (60' and 92') finished off La Verde, whose honour goal

Ahh - so there is football culture other than Turkey that uses the term "honour goal" as opposed to "consolation goal".

Indeed we say "gol de honra" in Brasil (or "golo" de honra in Portugal).
    It works in Spanish too, "gol del honor". I've looked up a couple other languages and found that Germans refer to it as "das Ehrentor" too, which quite literally means "honour goal".

In French, I've found "en but pour l'honneur" and "sauver l'honneur", but
    I don't speak the language and have no idea which one is correct, or if
    either indeed applies :-). The latter looks more like "saving face". But
    both expressions seem to refer to honor. In Italian I found the expression "gol della bandiera". Again, not sure if this is right, hopefully it makes sense.

So it seems English's "consolation" concept is actually the exception? :-) Reading again what I wrote, I don't really know why I wrote "honor goal",
    which seems to have no meaning in English (in a football context, I mean), especially having earlier referred to Chile's "consolation goal" vs Uruguay. Must have been a slip.

How do you say it in Turkish? I've tried Google Translate, but I'm not
    sure it understands what I mean.

Best regards,

Lléo

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Real Mardin@21:1/5 to All on Sat Sep 9 11:57:53 2023
    On Saturday, September 9, 2023 at 7:53:29 PM UTC+1, Lléo wrote:
    Em sábado, 9 de setembro de 2023 às 07:09:09 UTC-3, Real Mardin escreveu:
    But in the second half, the floodgates opened. Raphinha (46'), Rodrygo again (52') and Neymar (60' and 92') finished off La Verde, whose honour goal

Indeed we say "gol de honra" in Brasil (or "golo" de honra in Portugal).
    It works in Spanish too, "gol del honor". I've looked up a couple other languages and found that Germans refer to it as "das Ehrentor" too, which quite literally means "honour goal".

In French, I've found "en but pour l'honneur" and "sauver l'honneur", but
    I don't speak the language and have no idea which one is correct, or if either indeed applies :-). The latter looks more like "saving face". But both expressions seem to refer to honor. In Italian I found the expression "gol della bandiera". Again, not sure if this is right, hopefully it makes sense.

So it seems English's "consolation" concept is actually the exception? :-) Reading again what I wrote, I don't really know why I wrote "honor goal", which seems to have no meaning in English (in a football context, I mean), especially having earlier referred to Chile's "consolation goal" vs Uruguay. Must have been a slip.

How do you say it in Turkish? I've tried Google Translate, but I'm not
    sure it understands what I mean.

Best regards,

Lléo

So it’s England being awkward by being the odd one out! In Turkish it’s “seref golu “ (honour goal).

RM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark@21:1/5 to All on Mon Sep 11 08:54:40 2023

position.

I read that in Wikipedia and did wonder to some extent why you hadn't mentioned it in your preview.

Bol 1 Arg 2

Ecu 0 Uru 1

Paraguay 0.40).

Ven 1 Par 0

Chi 2 Col 2

Per 1 Bra 2

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark@21:1/5 to Mark on Wed Sep 13 03:34:41 2023
    On Monday, September 11, 2023 at 4:54:43 PM UTC+1, Mark wrote:

position.
    I read that in Wikipedia and did wonder to some extent why you hadn't mentioned it in your preview.

Paz. But the gulf between the two teams is so vast that it gets hard to see
    Argentina dropping points here. I'll go for BOL 1-2 ARG (in soph-terms: Bolivia
    Bol 1 Arg 2

Lleo 70 points
    Mark 70 points

Ecu 0 Uru 1

Lleo 30
    Mark 0

Not sure what to expect from this one, to be played at Estadio Monumental de
    Maturín. I don't rate Venezuela much, so I think Paraguay might steal a win here,
    but they don't inspire confidence enough for a bold prediction, do they? My
    prediction will bea modest VEN 0-1 PAR (in soph-terms: Venezuela 0.25, draw 0.35,
    Paraguay 0.40).
    Ven 1 Par 0

Lleo 0
    Mark 100

Colombia seems to be the better side, but Chile shouldn't be a pushover and
    the host factor, at Estadio Monumental de Santiago, might level the scales.
    I think this will be up for grabs, with a very slight edge for the visitors.
    I'll go for a draw, 1-1 (in soph-terms: Chile 0.30, draw 0.35, Colombia 0.35)
    Chi 2 Col 2

Lleo 90
    Mark 80

might put up a fight but, barring an upset, Brasil should win. I'll predict
    PER 0-2 BRA (in soph-terms: Peru 0.20, draw 0.20, Brasil 0.60).

Per 1 Bra 2

Lleo 85
    Mark 90

Total:
    Lleo 275 points
    Mark 340 points

Not bad.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05