• Looks like Van Gaal agrees

From FF@21:1/5 to All on Wed Sep 6 18:34:16 2023
    with my / our assessment that Argentina was helped en route to the WCup final. (He actually said "a premeditated game" LOL which is a nice politically correct way to put it, but everybody knows what he meant.)

I just thought it would be worth mentioning here.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Michael Falkner@21:1/5 to All on Wed Sep 6 21:29:44 2023
    On Wednesday, September 6, 2023 at 6:34:18 PM UTC-7, FF wrote:
    with my / our assessment that Argentina was helped en route to the WCup final. (He actually said "a premeditated game" LOL which is a nice politically correct way to put it, but everybody knows what he meant.)

I just thought it would be worth mentioning here.

You're surprised games in the World Cup are rigged/scripted/fixed???

Mike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Al Kamista@21:1/5 to All on Thu Sep 7 09:08:45 2023
    On Wednesday, September 6, 2023 at 9:34:18 PM UTC-4, FF wrote:

Van Gaal is as big an idiot (and sore loser) as his countryman Tan Hag.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From FF@21:1/5 to Al Kamista on Thu Sep 7 13:56:37 2023
    On Thursday, September 7, 2023 at 7:08:47 PM UTC+3, Al Kamista wrote:

I don't know why you'd say that, but regardless, I think it was quite clear that Argentina was helped to the final. As was France. And IIRC I was hardly alone in this opinion.
    And given that now they have the video ref, it's hard to see how this wasn't premeditated :) .

Of course, having a top class coach publicly stating it, idiot or not, gives it a completely different dimension.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Al Kamista@21:1/5 to All on Fri Sep 8 06:03:50 2023
    On Thursday, September 7, 2023 at 4:56:39 PM UTC-4, FF wrote:
    I don't know why you'd say that, but regardless, I think it was quite clear that Argentina was helped to the final. As was France. And IIRC I was hardly alone in this opinion.

Everyone loves a good conspiracy theory. I would urge you to look at the incident where France got the equalizing penalty late in the final. Before the Argentinian defender handled the ball for a PK, Upamecano handled it first on the same corner with his
    arm wildly out of position above his head. Why was that not called? Clearly if the refs favored Argentina then it would have been an easy call for them.

While some of Argentina's PKs in the tournament were soft, none of them were blatant mistakes.

Of course, having a top class coach publicly stating it, idiot or not, gives it a completely different dimension.

A top coach whose team had just lost.

Look at Ten Hag on Sunday. He was arguing that the 10 angles that VAR looked at for offside on Garnacho were wrong and the 1 angle he saw was right. Some of these Dutchman don't take too well to losing.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From FF@21:1/5 to Al Kamista on Fri Sep 8 18:48:20 2023
    On Friday, September 8, 2023 at 4:03:52 PM UTC+3, Al Kamista wrote:
    On Thursday, September 7, 2023 at 4:56:39 PM UTC-4, FF wrote:
    Everyone loves a good conspiracy theory. I would urge you to look at the incident where France got the equalizing penalty late in the final. Before the Argentinian defender handled the ball for a PK, Upamecano handled it first on the same corner with
    his arm wildly out of position above his head. Why was that not called? Clearly if the refs favored Argentina then it would have been an easy call for them.

Nah, sorry. Way too long ago, I'm not connected to that any more, I've got other things on my mind. If we had had a talk about it right then, as we used to a while back (it's a pity we don't do it any more if you ask me), I'd probably have tried to check
    it out.
    In any case, as I said back then, I don't think the final was rigged. But both France and Argentina were helped to it quite clearly. (Even Ixion M. agreed that France too were favored to the final, which says it all. :) )

While some of Argentina's PKs in the tournament were soft, none of them were blatant mistakes.

That's not what I remember. I looked 2 of them up and they were blatant mistakes. I can't say now if any of those were against Holland.
    As you may know, usually I'm much more in favor of a PK to be called than many other viewers. So if I say one shouldn't have been called, that's probably how it is. :) Again, unfortunately it's way too late for such discussions.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05