• France drop out of UEFA's Top Five Leagues [News]

From Blueshirt@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jul 4 17:09:05 2023
  • From Werner Pichler@21:1/5 to Blueshirt on Tue Jul 4 08:49:20 2023
    On Tuesday, July 4, 2023 at 5:09:10 PM UTC+2, Blueshirt wrote:
    Two articles today for those that like up to date football lists and rankings...

https://khelnow.com/football/2023-07-world-football-ligue-1-drop-down-7th-uefas-latest-european-league-rankings

https://www.forbes.com/sites/steveprice/2023/07/04/why-frances-ligue-1-has-dropped-out-of-uefas-top-five-leagues/?sh=132ddaa4e152

These articles are a bit sensationalist since they make it sound as if this 'latest' European ranking (actually
    well-known for a couple of months) was some truth bomb out of nowhere when in fact that 7th place is their
    ranking for *one season* (2022/23) out of the five used for UEFA's actual ranking. Back in 2020/21 France
    were actually in a worse position as they finished that season in 8th, but a year later in 2021/22 they were
    fourth. One-year rankings don't tell you all that much.

*But* having said that, I agree that it will indeed be not that easy for France to maintain their Top 5 position
    going into this season. The Dutch Eredivisie has had a better coefficient than Ligue 1 for the last three consecutive
    seasons (buoyed mostly by excellent Conference League campaigns) and so is ahead on aggregate at the moment
    by the slightest of margins (just 0.186 points, roughly one drawn match).

And this fight will become particularly interesting as from next year UEFA's new Access List will give an additional
    third guaranteed place in the group stage of the revamped Champions League to the league ranked in #5 while
    league #6 will only have the same two spots as before.

BTW for all topics regarding the coefficient always refer to Bert Kassies's inimitable site that blows UEFA's own
    coverage out of the water.

5-year-ranking: https://kassiesa.net/uefa/data/method5/crank2024.html
    Access List 24/25: https://kassiesa.net/uefa/AccessList2024.html

Ciao,
    Werner

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From MH@21:1/5 to Werner Pichler on Tue Jul 4 10:48:09 2023
    On 2023-07-04 09:49, Werner Pichler wrote:
    Two articles today for those that like up to date football lists and
    rankings...

https://khelnow.com/football/2023-07-world-football-ligue-1-drop-down-7th-uefas-latest-european-league-rankings

https://www.forbes.com/sites/steveprice/2023/07/04/why-frances-ligue-1-has-dropped-out-of-uefas-top-five-leagues/?sh=132ddaa4e152

These articles are a bit sensationalist since they make it sound as if this 'latest' European ranking (actually
    well-known for a couple of months) was some truth bomb out of nowhere when in fact that 7th place is their
    ranking for *one season* (2022/23) out of the five used for UEFA's actual ranking. Back in 2020/21 France
    were actually in a worse position as they finished that season in 8th, but a year later in 2021/22 they were

I too found these articles irritating. France finished the 5 year cycle
    ending in 2023 in 5th place. That, as you know, determines their
    standing for the 2024-2025 season in terms of numbers of participants
    and where (or has that delay changed?)
    They lost a good year relative to the NL (2018-19), and so start this
    cycle (currently only counting 4 years and some automatic bonus points) marginally behind the Dutch. If PSG, Lens, Marseille and Lille play to potential this season, there is no reason that they could not hold on to
    5th. On the other hand, as you say, Ajax and AZ could pile on the
    points in the less prestigious competitions.

*But* having said that, I agree that it will indeed be not that easy for France to maintain their Top 5 position
    going into this season. The Dutch Eredivisie has had a better coefficient than Ligue 1 for the last three consecutive
    seasons (buoyed mostly by excellent Conference League campaigns) and so is ahead on aggregate at the moment
    by the slightest of margins (just 0.186 points, roughly one drawn match).

And this fight will become particularly interesting as from next year UEFA's new Access List will give an additional
    third guaranteed place in the group stage of the revamped Champions League to the league ranked in #5 while
    league #6 will only have the same two spots as before.

BTW for all topics regarding the coefficient always refer to Bert Kassies's inimitable site that blows UEFA's own
    coverage out of the water.

5-year-ranking: https://kassiesa.net/uefa/data/method5/crank2024.html
    Access List 24/25: https://kassiesa.net/uefa/AccessList2024.html

Ciao,
    Werner

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Werner Pichler@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jul 5 06:14:48 2023
    On Tuesday, July 4, 2023 at 6:48:12 PM UTC+2, MH wrote:
    rankings...

I too found these articles irritating. France finished the 5 year cycle ending in 2023 in 5th place. That, as you know, determines their

No, of course it hasn't (because of the summer leagues), but UEFA are taking their own
    sweet time making their new Access List official. The general outline has been leaked (that's
    where Bert's table is from), but there are still some details to be fleshed out (about the
    re-allocation of berths under certain conditions, or regarding Russia's exclusion) which
    makes it a bit awkward e.g. for Norway or Iceland where the respective positions of cup
    winners and league runners-up are still unclear, so clubs currently in the running for both
    don't really know which to prioritize.

They lost a good year relative to the NL (2018-19), and so start this
    cycle (currently only counting 4 years and some automatic bonus points) marginally behind the Dutch. If PSG, Lens, Marseille and Lille play to potential this season, there is no reason that they could not hold on to 5th. On the other hand, as you say, Ajax and AZ could pile on the
    points in the less prestigious competitions.

It used to be Portugal in a dogfight with France for fifth, but they've fallen a bit
    behind as they hardly ever collect points in the Conference League - the gap after
    their top 4 is so big that nobody ever qualifies (Vitória Guimarães, Gil Vicente,
    Santa Clara, Paços de Ferreira all failed).

Ciao,
    Werner

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Blueshirt@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jul 5 21:23:14 2023
    MH wrote:

If PSG,Lens,Marseille and Lille play to potential this season there is
    no reason that they could not hold on to 5th. On the other hand, as
    you say, Ajax and AZ could pile on the points in the less prestigious competitions.

I'd certainly put money on Ajax and AZ Alkmaar going further in Europe
    than RC Lens, Marseille or Lille!

PSG are a mixed bag, another new manager whose main goal is to win the Champions League. Don't see it, but anything can happen once you reach
    the knockout stages. So it's not over until it's over.

I'm backing French football anyway. My 27th favourite team is now RC
    Strasbourg Alsace*... so hopefully with Viera in charge they can climb
    that table and reach the dizzy heights of European football once again.
    Allons les chemises bleues !

* It was formerly Vitesse Arnhem in case anyone was wondering... ;-)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From MH@21:1/5 to Blueshirt on Thu Jul 6 12:11:53 2023
    On 2023-07-05 13:23, Blueshirt wrote:
    MH wrote:

If PSG,Lens,Marseille and Lille play to potential this season there is
    no reason that they could not hold on to 5th. On the other hand, as
    you say, Ajax and AZ could pile on the points in the less prestigious
    competitions.

Kind of depends how much they care (especially Ajax) about the Europa
    league. Feyenoord are a pot 1 seed, so I suppose they could make it to
    the knockout phase if they can avoid drawing (eg. Real Madrid or Inter
    or Arsenal or Man United; Lazio or Milan and so on) Depends if they
    can keep key players, which Dutch clubs have some trouble doing.
    PSV have to qualify, as do Marseille, and it is not impossible that they
    could meet in the final qualifying round.

PSG are a mixed bag, another new manager whose main goal is to win the Champions League. Don't see it, but anything can happen once you reach
    the knockout stages. So it's not over until it's over.

I'm backing French football anyway. My 27th favourite team is now RC Strasbourg Alsace*... so hopefully with Viera in charge they can climb
    that table and reach the dizzy heights of European football once again. Allons les chemises bleues !

* It was formerly Vitesse Arnhem in case anyone was wondering... ;-)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Blueshirt@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jul 6 21:42:21 2023
    MH wrote:

On 2023-07-05 13:23, Blueshirt wrote:

Kind of depends how much they care (especially Ajax) about the Europa
    league. Feyenoord are a pot 1 seed, so I suppose they could make it to
    the knockout phase if they can avoid drawing (eg. Real Madrid or Inter
    or Arsenal or Man United; Lazio or Milan and so on) Depends if they
    can keep key players, which Dutch clubs have some trouble doing. PSV
    have to qualify, as do Marseille, and it is not impossible that they
    could meet in the final qualifying round.

I actually think the Europa League has a good bit of credibility now,
    teams generally want to win it. (A place in the UEFA Champions League the following season has helped there.) Chelsea have won the Europa League
    twice in the last ten years or so and it generally wouldn't have been
    high up on their agenda. (Ambramovich always saw the Champions League as
    the Holy Grail.) I can't speak for Ajax but I'd be surprised if they
    didn't care about it.

Now I've said that they'll probably go and get knocked out in the
    play-off round! ;-)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Werner Pichler@21:1/5 to Werner Pichler on Mon Jul 10 05:53:23 2023
    On Wednesday, July 5, 2023 at 3:14:50 PM UTC+2, Werner Pichler wrote:
    On Tuesday, July 4, 2023 at 6:48:12 PM UTC+2, MH wrote:
    rankings...

I too found these articles irritating. France finished the 5 year cycle ending in 2023 in 5th place. That, as you know, determines their

No, of course it hasn't (because of the summer leagues), but UEFA are taking their own
    sweet time making their new Access List official.

Ask and ye shall receive - UEFA just released a circular (No.36) pretty much confirming all the leaked
    details. https://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/documentlibrary/about-uefa/circular-letters/

The general outline has been leaked (that's
    where Bert's table is from), but there are still some details to be fleshed out (about the
    re-allocation of berths under certain conditions, or regarding Russia's exclusion) which
    makes it a bit awkward e.g. for Norway or Iceland where the respective positions of cup
    winners and league runners-up are still unclear, so clubs currently in the running for both
    don't really know which to prioritize.

Being a cup winner is better, they are prioritized over runners-up to enter the (new) Europa League
    instead of the (new) Conference League (incidentally, the Conference League will drop the
    'Europa' moniker).

Ciao,
    Werner

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05