• CONCACAF Gold Cup 23 R

From Binder Dundat@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jun 24 05:06:23 2023
    I think by now everyone is aware of the "Rockingness" of CONCACAF as a federation, I mean come on what other Continental Cup invites countries from outside of the confederation. Hell, they even invite top countries like Brazil or Korea or Colombia to
    participate (Kanada beat Kolombia in the final when they won the Gold Cup back in 2000), this year Qatar is invited.

Most other confederations will have the qualifying for their tournament done years or months in advance, CONCACAF just finished the qualifying for final spots something like 2 days ago, because that is just the free spirited Rockingness of the
    confederation, they wont use VARobots or 5 subs or penalty boxes or sidelines, it will all be a wide open pitch like in Cricket or Moonball or whatever that game is called? I dont even think they will have referees and if they do, they will all be
    chicks in bikinis.

So if you are football deprived after what seems like 3 years of non stop football, the GOld Cup will fill that void. FIrst match is tonight, with USA v Jamaica. I would like to think KANADA has a chance of winning this thing, but that result vs USA
    last week and the squad they are taking, makes me think not. Kanada is missing probably their 3 best players (Davies, David and Tajon).

This thing is being held in Kanada and USA from what I understand, I know that Kanada play at least one game in Toronto. I will only post the Canadian line up, but all of you Cubans or Guadolpeans or St Kits Nevisians, please fell free to add your
    rosters to this thread.

CANADA
    GK- Milan Borjan | SRB / FK Crvena zvezda (Red Star Belgrade)
    GK- Tom McGill | ENG / Brighton & Hove Albion FC
    GK- Dayne St. Clair | USA / Minnesota United FC
    CB- Moïse Bombito | USA / Colorado Rapids
    CB- Scott Kennedy | GER / SSV Jahn Regensburg
    CB- Zachary Mcgraw | USA / Portland Timbers
    CB- Steven Vitória | POR / GD Chaves
    CB- Dominick Zator | POL / Korona Kielce
    FB- Samuel Adekugbe | TUR / Galatasaray SK
    FB- Zachary Brault-Guillard | CAN / CF Montréal
    FB- Richie Laryea | CAN / Toronto FC
    FB- Kamal Miller | USA / Inter Miami FC
    M- Ali Ahmed | Vancouver Whitecaps FC
    M- Stephen Eustáquio | POR / FC Porto
    M- Victor Loturi | SCO / Ross County FC
    M- Jonathan Osorio | CAN / Toronto FC
    M- David Wotherspoon | Unattached / sans club
    F- David Junior Hoilett | ENG / Reading FC
    F- Charles-Andreas Brym | NED / FC Eindhoven
    F- Lucas Cavallini | MEX / Club Tijuana
    F- Liam Millar | SUI / FC Basel
    F- Jacen Russell-Rowe | USA / Columbus Crew
    F- Jacob Shaffelburg | USA / Nashville SC

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Real Mardin@21:1/5 to Binder Dundat on Sat Jun 24 14:00:39 2023
    On Saturday, June 24, 2023 at 1:06:25 PM UTC+1, Binder Dundat wrote:
    I think by now everyone is aware of the "Rockingness" of CONCACAF as a federation, I mean come on what other Continental Cup invites countries from outside of the confederation. Hell, they even invite top countries like Brazil or Korea or Colombia to
    participate (Kanada beat Kolombia in the final when they won the Gold Cup back in 2000), this year Qatar is invited.

Most other confederations will have the qualifying for their tournament done years or months in advance, CONCACAF just finished the qualifying for final spots something like 2 days ago, because that is just the free spirited Rockingness of the
    confederation, they wont use VARobots or 5 subs or penalty boxes or sidelines, it will all be a wide open pitch like in Cricket or Moonball or whatever that game is called? I dont even think they will have referees and if they do, they will all be chicks
    in bikinis.

So if you are football deprived after what seems like 3 years of non stop football, the GOld Cup will fill that void.

Looks like more Spanish speaking than English speaking countries this year, so let's call this the Copa Oro.

Being broadcast on Viaplay in the UK but the live match times aren't kind to any UK viewer who values their sleep. Hopefully I'll still be able to stream the recordings the next day.

RM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Werner Pichler@21:1/5 to Real Mardin on Sat Jun 24 14:18:52 2023
    On Saturday, June 24, 2023 at 11:00:42 PM UTC+2, Real Mardin wrote:

I think by now everyone is aware of the "Rockingness" of CONCACAF as a federation, I mean come on what other Continental Cup invites countries from outside of the confederation. Hell, they even invite top
    countries like Brazil or Korea or Colombia to participate (Kanada beat Kolombia in the final when they won the Gold Cup back in 2000), this year Qatar is invited.

Most other confederations will have the qualifying for their tournament done years or months in advance, CONCACAF just finished the qualifying for final spots something like 2 days ago, because that is just the
    free spirited Rockingness of the confederation, they wont use VARobots or 5 subs or penalty boxes or sidelines, it will all be a wide open pitch like in Cricket or Moonball or whatever that game is called? I dont even
    think they will have referees and if they do, they will all be chicks in bikinis.

So if you are football deprived after what seems like 3 years of non stop football, the GOld Cup will fill that void.

Looks like more Spanish speaking than English speaking countries this year,

I'd be surprised if there was any edition where that wasn't the case?

so let's call this the Copa Oro.

7 Spanish, 5 English, 4 French (with Canada counting for the latter two). Since it appears that the French somewhat uncharacteristically don't translate the name of the tournament into
    Coupe d'Or, there's actually a majority for Gold Cup (not counting Qatar).

Ciao,
    Werner

Being broadcast on Viaplay in the UK but the live match times aren't kind to any UK viewer who values their sleep. Hopefully I'll still be able to stream the recordings the next day.

RM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Real Mardin@21:1/5 to Werner Pichler on Sat Jun 24 16:42:53 2023
    On Saturday, June 24, 2023 at 10:18:54 PM UTC+1, Werner Pichler wrote:

I think by now everyone is aware of the "Rockingness" of CONCACAF as a federation, I mean come on what other Continental Cup invites countries from outside of the confederation. Hell, they even invite top
    countries like Brazil or Korea or Colombia to participate (Kanada beat Kolombia in the final when they won the Gold Cup back in 2000), this year Qatar is invited.

Most other confederations will have the qualifying for their tournament done years or months in advance, CONCACAF just finished the qualifying for final spots something like 2 days ago, because that is just the
    free spirited Rockingness of the confederation, they wont use VARobots or 5 subs or penalty boxes or sidelines, it will all be a wide open pitch like in Cricket or Moonball or whatever that game is called? I dont even
    think they will have referees and if they do, they will all be chicks in bikinis.

7 Spanish, 5 English, 4 French (with Canada counting for the latter two). Since it appears that the French somewhat uncharacteristically don't translate the name of the tournament into

You’re assuming the French speakers would rather use English rather than Spanish. Plus “d’or” sounds much closer to “Oro” than “Gold”. Copa Oro for me!

RM

Ciao,
    Werner

RM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Binder Dundat@21:1/5 to Real Mardin on Sun Jun 25 07:23:00 2023
    On Saturday, June 24, 2023 at 7:42:55 p.m. UTC-4, Real Mardin wrote:

You’re assuming the French speakers would rather use English rather than Spanish. Plus “d’or” sounds much closer to “Oro” than “Gold”. Copa Oro for me!

RM

Ciao,
    Werner

RM

It would seem in Chicago the preferred nomenclature is indeed Copa Oro (signs along the pitch all said Copa Oro, not a gold cup to be found.). A decent first match for the Rockingest tournament in football. Jamaica could have won this had Bailey scored
    from the spot in the 1st half ( or even from the rebound, which was an easier shot) to make it 2-0. Jamaica took an early lead and Antonio was having an easy time vs the Yankee defenders, Bailey missed the PK chance to make it 2-0 and then USA grew as
    the game progressed, though it took them over 80 minutes to make it 1-1. I would say it was a fairly even match as the score suggests. Seems like a lot of English based players for Jamaica.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Real Mardin@21:1/5 to Binder Dundat on Mon Jun 26 12:00:57 2023
    On Sunday, June 25, 2023 at 3:23:03 PM UTC+1, Binder Dundat wrote:

7 Spanish, 5 English, 4 French (with Canada counting for the latter two).
    Since it appears that the French somewhat uncharacteristically don't translate the name of the tournament into

RM

Ciao,
    Werner

RM
    It would seem in Chicago the preferred nomenclature is indeed Copa Oro (signs along the pitch all said Copa Oro, not a gold cup to be found.). A decent first match for the Rockingest tournament in football. Jamaica could have won this had Bailey scored
    from the spot in the 1st half ( or even from the rebound, which was an easier shot)

Yeah, I said the same - the rebound was easier to score than the penalty! Can’t believe he missed, Jamaica let USA slip through their fingers there.

Saw the start of Haiti- Qatar, the stadium was practically deserted. Not a great look. Qatar cement their credentials as the worst World Cup host ever by losing 2-1 to Haiti.

RM

to make it 2-0. Jamaica took an early lead and Antonio was having an easy time vs the Yankee defenders, Bailey missed the PK chance to make it 2-0 and then USA grew as the game progressed, though it took them over 80 minutes to make it 1-1. I would say
    it was a fairly even match as the score suggests. Seems like a lot of English based players for Jamaica.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Binder Dundat@21:1/5 to Real Mardin on Mon Jun 26 13:40:30 2023
    On Monday, June 26, 2023 at 3:00:59 p.m. UTC-4, Real Mardin wrote:

Since it appears that the French somewhat uncharacteristically don't translate the name of the tournament into

RM

Ciao,
    Werner

RM
    It would seem in Chicago the preferred nomenclature is indeed Copa Oro (signs along the pitch all said Copa Oro, not a gold cup to be found.). A decent first match for the Rockingest tournament in football. Jamaica could have won this had Bailey
    scored from the spot in the 1st half ( or even from the rebound, which was an easier shot)
    Yeah, I said the same - the rebound was easier to score than the penalty! Can’t believe he missed, Jamaica let USA slip through their fingers there.

Saw the start of Haiti- Qatar, the stadium was practically deserted. Not a great look. Qatar cement their credentials as the worst World Cup host ever by losing 2-1 to Haiti.

It was a double header ( 'mericans love double headers), by the time Mexico played Honduras, the stadium was Rocking, really Rocking within a minute of the kick off when Mexico scored. I didnt watch the end, but they won 4-0 vs Honduras, which is a good
    result and they are now projected to win the Gold Cup.

I found the Haiti v Qatar game was Rocking too, even if the quality was a bit poor. I really expected Qatar to at least win this comfortably, so yes, they probably are the weakest WC host ever. Even Kanada beats Haiti every time.

RM
    to make it 2-0. Jamaica took an early lead and Antonio was having an easy time vs the Yankee defenders, Bailey missed the PK chance to make it 2-0 and then USA grew as the game progressed, though it took them over 80 minutes to make it 1-1. I would say
    it was a fairly even match as the score suggests. Seems like a lot of English based players for Jamaica.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Binder Dundat@21:1/5 to Binder Dundat on Mon Jun 26 15:04:42 2023
    Double Header today in Florida.

6:30pm El Salvador vs Martinique
    8:30pm Costa Rica vs Panama

I am going to guess there are more Salvadorinos in S.Florida, Which Island is Martinique? Is that the one which had Karembu and other French natnl team players back in the day?

It will be interesting to see how Rocking Costa Rica v Panama will be, is their a large population of them in Florida? Will americans go out to watch this match?

On Monday, June 26, 2023 at 4:40:32 p.m. UTC-4, Binder Dundat wrote:

RM

Ciao,
    Werner

RM
    It would seem in Chicago the preferred nomenclature is indeed Copa Oro (signs along the pitch all said Copa Oro, not a gold cup to be found.). A decent first match for the Rockingest tournament in football. Jamaica could have won this had Bailey
    scored from the spot in the 1st half ( or even from the rebound, which was an easier shot)

It was a double header ( 'mericans love double headers), by the time Mexico played Honduras, the stadium was Rocking, really Rocking within a minute of the kick off when Mexico scored. I didnt watch the end, but they won 4-0 vs Honduras, which is a
    good result and they are now projected to win the Gold Cup.

I found the Haiti v Qatar game was Rocking too, even if the quality was a bit poor. I really expected Qatar to at least win this comfortably, so yes, they probably are the weakest WC host ever. Even Kanada beats Haiti every time.

RM
    to make it 2-0. Jamaica took an early lead and Antonio was having an easy time vs the Yankee defenders, Bailey missed the PK chance to make it 2-0 and then USA grew as the game progressed, though it took them over 80 minutes to make it 1-1. I would
    say it was a fairly even match as the score suggests. Seems like a lot of English based players for Jamaica.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Binder Dundat@21:1/5 to Binder Dundat on Mon Jun 26 16:26:55 2023
    On Monday, June 26, 2023 at 6:04:44 p.m. UTC-4, Binder Dundat wrote:

Martinique lead 2-0 at the half and I want to say this is a big upset, except it is not, Martinique is only ranked two spots behind El Salvador in CONCACAF rankings. According to TV guy, this is the tightest group. AS far as the game goes, Martinique
    are deservedly leading.

I am going to guess there are more Salvadorinos in S.Florida, Which Island is Martinique? Is that the one which had Karembu and other French natnl team players back in the day?

It will be interesting to see how Rocking Costa Rica v Panama will be, is their a large population of them in Florida? Will americans go out to watch this match?

RM

Ciao,
    Werner

RM

It was a double header ( 'mericans love double headers), by the time Mexico played Honduras, the stadium was Rocking, really Rocking within a minute of the kick off when Mexico scored. I didnt watch the end, but they won 4-0 vs Honduras, which is a

RM
    to make it 2-0. Jamaica took an early lead and Antonio was having an easy time vs the Yankee defenders, Bailey missed the PK chance to make it 2-0 and then USA grew as the game progressed, though it took them over 80 minutes to make it 1-1. I would
    say it was a fairly even match as the score suggests. Seems like a lot of English based players for Jamaica.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Binder Dundat@21:1/5 to Binder Dundat on Tue Jun 27 13:10:15 2023
    WE are getting finally getting rain on the Iceberg, so hopefully that puts out the Forest fires. I wont say the smog here was Cairo bad, but it was bad. Really hot and Humid here now, I almost want Winter back. As the saying goes, It is not the heat
    that gets you, its the humidity. Between the bad air quality and oppressive humidity, you gotta stay inside and watch Football, the times work for me as well, none of this getting drunk at noon cus of the time difference, games are on at 7 and 9 pm,
    which is proper.

Anyhow, Kanada plays today in the Rockingest cup on Earth, I think it is the one and only game that will be played in Canada for the Gold Cup, still a better ratio of games than Kanada is getting for the 26 WC.

7:00pm Canada vs Guadeloupe
    8:45pm Guatemala vs Cuba

On Monday, June 26, 2023 at 7:26:57 p.m. UTC-4, Binder Dundat wrote:
    On Monday, June 26, 2023 at 6:04:44 p.m. UTC-4, Binder Dundat wrote:

Martinique lead 2-0 at the half and I want to say this is a big upset, except it is not, Martinique is only ranked two spots behind El Salvador in CONCACAF rankings. According to TV guy, this is the tightest group. AS far as the game goes, Martinique
    are deservedly leading.

RM

Ciao,
    Werner

RM
    It would seem in Chicago the preferred nomenclature is indeed Copa Oro (signs along the pitch all said Copa Oro, not a gold cup to be found.). A decent first match for the Rockingest tournament in football. Jamaica could have won this had
    Bailey scored from the spot in the 1st half ( or even from the rebound, which was an easier shot)

RM
    to make it 2-0. Jamaica took an early lead and Antonio was having an easy time vs the Yankee defenders, Bailey missed the PK chance to make it 2-0 and then USA grew as the game progressed, though it took them over 80 minutes to make it 1-1. I
    would say it was a fairly even match as the score suggests. Seems like a lot of English based players for Jamaica.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark@21:1/5 to Binder Dundat on Tue Jun 27 23:59:50 2023
    On Tuesday, June 27, 2023 at 9:10:17 PM UTC+1, Binder Dundat wrote:
    WE are getting finally getting rain on the Iceberg, so hopefully that puts out the Forest fires.

How can you have forest fires on an iceberg?!

Is the Iceberg Canada? Why do you call it the iceberg? It's not that cold is it? I could understand it if you called Greenland the iceberg, but Canada?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Real Mardin@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jun 29 14:30:49 2023
    So I started streaming the repeat of Saint Kitts & Nevis v USA on Viaplay but USA went 2-0 up after about 20 minutes and I got bored so I fast forwarded to the end and USA won 6-0.

Not a very "rocking" game but the real result that mattered was that the board on the halfway line alternated between "Gold Cup" and "Copa Oro".

RM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Binder Dundat@21:1/5 to Real Mardin on Sun Jul 2 18:38:28 2023
    I think the beauty of CONCACAF and the Gold Cup is that it answers the big questions in World football, like is Honduras better than Haiti. I personally think honduras is better ( and i Know the worlrd of football may disagree ), but I really think so.
    It is games like this that make CONCACAF the Rockingest confederation thing in football

On Thursday, June 29, 2023 at 5:30:51 p.m. UTC-4, Real Mardin wrote:
    So I started streaming the repeat of Saint Kitts & Nevis v USA on Viaplay but USA went 2-0 up after about 20 minutes and I got bored so I fast forwarded to the end and USA won 6-0.

Not a very "rocking" game but the real result that mattered was that the board on the halfway line alternated between "Gold Cup" and "Copa Oro".

RM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark@21:1/5 to Binder Dundat on Mon Jul 3 00:08:23 2023
    On Monday, July 3, 2023 at 2:38:31 AM UTC+1, Binder Dundat wrote:
    I think the beauty of CONCACAF and the Gold Cup is that it answers the big questions in World football, like is Honduras better than Haiti. I personally think honduras is better ( and i Know the worlrd of football may disagree ), but I really think so.
    It is games like this that make CONCACAF the Rockingest confederation thing in football

Well actually, in South America, the whole qualifying tournament for the World Cup is one League Championship, which clearly ranks every team in the continent from top to bottom. What better way than that to answer the question of "Is Bolivia better than
    Peru?" or "Is Paraguay better than Colombia?" ? So you've just proved that CONMEBOL is the rockingest confederation in football haven't you?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Werner Pichler@21:1/5 to Binder Dundat on Mon Jul 3 18:31:42 2023
    On Monday, July 3, 2023 at 3:38:31 AM UTC+2, Binder Dundat wrote:
    I think the beauty of CONCACAF and the Gold Cup is that it answers the big questions in World football, like is Honduras better than Haiti.

The slightly worrying thing here is that they were both eliminated by the worst World Cup host ever?

Ciao,
    Werner

I personally think honduras is better ( and i Know the worlrd of football may disagree ), but I really think so. It is games like this that make CONCACAF the Rockingest confederation thing in football

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From MH@21:1/5 to Binder Dundat on Tue Jul 4 10:57:53 2023
    On 2023-07-02 19:38, Binder Dundat wrote:

On Thursday, June 29, 2023 at 5:30:51 p.m. UTC-4, Real Mardin wrote:

RM

Canada up against it today. They have to beat Cuba by 2 goals or more
    to be sure of progressing in the event of a draw between Guadeloupe and Guatemala. Need to win by 3 goals, possibly more depending on goals
    scored, to top the group if those two draw.
    If the Gua-Gua match is won by one team or the other, the best Canada
    can do is second place, and they need to win for that.

If this tournament has shown anything, it is how toothless and clueless
    the Canada B team is. We are without Davies, David, Larin, Eustaquio, Buchanan, Johnston, Adekugbe, Hutchinson (retired), Kaye and Koné. Only Miller. Laryea and Vitoria are left among those you might consider first
    choice or thereabouts.

We clearly have nowhere near the depth of Mexico and the US, who both
    also left a lot of their more well known names off the roster.

This could be a year for a team like Jamaica or Panama to win it all.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Michael Falkner@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jul 4 17:17:36 2023
    On Tuesday, July 4, 2023 at 9:57:56 AM UTC-7, MH wrote:

the Canada B team is. We are without Davies, David, Larin, Eustaquio, Buchanan, Johnston, Adekugbe, Hutchinson (retired), Kaye and Koné. Only Miller. Laryea and Vitoria are left among those you might consider first choice or thereabouts.

May be true, but I think there's more to it than that. You have real money problems in the Canadian situation right now.

Mike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jul 5 03:01:45 2023
    On Tuesday, July 4, 2023 at 5:57:56 PM UTC+1, MH wrote:

the Canada B team is. We are without Davies, David, Larin, Eustaquio, Buchanan, Johnston, Adekugbe, Hutchinson (retired), Kaye and Koné. Only Miller. Laryea and Vitoria are left among those you might consider first choice or thereabouts.

Why have the USA, Mexico and Canada not picked their best players?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From MH@21:1/5 to Mark on Wed Jul 5 09:56:09 2023
    On 2023-07-05 04:01, Mark wrote:

the Canada B team is. We are without Davies, David, Larin, Eustaquio,
    Buchanan, Johnston, Adekugbe, Hutchinson (retired), Kaye and Koné. Only
    Miller. Laryea and Vitoria are left among those you might consider first
    choice or thereabouts.

Because they all just played in the CONCACAF nations' league semifinals
    and finals, and after a long season including the world cup, need a rest
    ? Davies has had quite a few injuries, David, Eustaquio, Buchanan,
    Johnston have all played a lot of games for their clubs.
    I believe there are also club commitments, which Canada has always tried
    to accommodate.
    Anyway, a good chance to take a closer look at fringe and uncapped players.

I did see the whole game yesterday. It was only Cuba, though they dod
    seem to have some promising younger players. Anyway, Canada looked
    fairly cohesive at times, and had some nice build up play. They
    eventually won 4-2, but it should have been much higher. All three
    penalties (one for us, two for them) were on the dubious side and I
    would not have given any of them. Yes, Cuba's first was a genuine foul
    by our keeper, but it was preceded by a fairly blatant foul by a Cuban
    attacker on Osorio. Or so it looked. The other two were weak handball
    claims - the first off to the side of the penalty area and not a single Canadian was asking for it - everyone was surprised by the VAR
    intervention. The second Cuban one had the ball pinballing around from
    a corner, off at least one head, a shoulder, and possibly a Cuban arm
    before hitting Zator's upper arm, with any "unnatural" position he was
    in possibly the result of a Cuban attacker pulling on his arm. Hard to
    tell from the replay.

Canada started in an unusual (for them) 4-4-2 and it mostly worked well.

GK. St. Clair. At fault for the penalty but otherwise safe with OK distribution and a couple of decent saves. I for one will be happy if
    Borjan never comes back.
    6/10

LB. Ali Ahmed. Very impressive on either side. Great pace and
    attacking flair. Competent enough in defence. Worth a lot more looks.
    8/10. Three caps so far, all at the Gold Cup. 22 years old.

CB. McGraw. 26 years old and a late discovery (American with a
    Canadian mother). Reasonably solid but a bit lumbering. 5/10.

CB. Kamal Miller. One of the more experienced members of this squad
    now. Passing was good, defending aggressive - sometimes too aggressive.
    6/10

RB. Laryea. He is quick, and a handful for opposing teams when going
    forward. Also a mean SOB who is quite provocative and always playing
    near the edge. Wins a lot of fouls. 8/10

MF: Liam Fraser. Has been a fringe player for a few years now, and
    does not play at a very high level in Europe (Belgian second tier). Has
    always done well for Canada when called on. Ran things quite well from
    central midfield and his passing was OK. 7/10

MF. Moise Bombito. 23 and alleged to have great potential. It didn't
    show. He was awful in possession and kept giving the ball away. Subbed
    before the first half was over. 3/10

MF. Osorio. Established player with good all round ability, getting
    back on track after being plagued with injuries. Did everything
    required, but finishing and timing a bit off. Scored Canada's nicest
    goal. 7/10

MF. Hoilett. Getting old but still one of our more skilled players,
    and had a lot of nice touches. Scored a penalty and involved in many of
    our good moves. 7/10

FW. Cavallini. Better than usual, and did provide some good passes and participated in build up. Did not really have any good scoring chances
    except for one that ended up in the net anyway. He was more mobile than
    usual but he is still too slow and his first touch is often poor. 5/10

FW. Liam Millar. Played more centrally and further forward than usual
    and generally did very well. He is fast, and his touch is good, but his crossing is not great. Scored his first goal for Canada on a header.
    Has been on the fringe for a long time, also with his various club
    teams, but seems to have settled down with Basel. Still only 23, and
    already 20 caps (mostly as a sub), so nice to see him start and score.
    7/10

SUBS:

Jayden Nelson. Replaced Bombito in the first half (33rd minute), and
    it was certainly not like for like. Much more attacking player and he
    is quick and willing to take players on. Scored a goal by being
    quickest to react to a loose ball after Cavallini failed to score a good chance. 8/10

Victor Loturi. Came on as a second half sub (69th minute for Hoilett, I
    guess) and did nothing wrong. First cap here, so now committed to
    Canada. Ex Cavalry (Calgary CPL) player now a regular with Ross COunty
    in the Scottish Premier League. 22 year old.

Scott Kennedy. Came on late (69th minute) for Ahmed, resulting in a
    switch to a 3-5-2. Game was won by then. Did OK

Jacen Russell-ROwe. Came on for Cavallini (69th) . Actually had some
    chances and looked confident in attack.

Dominic Zator. Another former Calgary Cavalry player, now in Poland.
    Replaced McGraw who had cramp 83rd minute), but I don't think he even
    touched the ball except for the penalty incident, which was not his fault.

At least the entire squad has now seen the pitch except for 3rd choice
    GK McGill (Brighton)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Real Mardin@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jul 5 13:05:05 2023
    On Wednesday, July 5, 2023 at 4:56:13 PM UTC+1, MH wrote:

If this tournament has shown anything, it is how toothless and clueless >> the Canada B team is. We are without Davies, David, Larin, Eustaquio,
    Buchanan, Johnston, Adekugbe, Hutchinson (retired), Kaye and Koné. Only >> Miller. Laryea and Vitoria are left among those you might consider first >> choice or thereabouts.

?

You know CONCACAF better than me, but as an outsider I find this hard to comprehend. This is your confederation's championship, for crying out loud, surely you rest your best players in the Nations League and pick your strongest squad for the Gold Cup?

It's hard to imagine European teams going all out to win the Nations League then picking under strength teams for the European Championship?

Anyway, I watched some of Guadeloupe - Guatemala, which was a thoroughly entertaining game with Guatemala coming from behind to win 3-2. Bit of an odd scene with Guadeloupe scoring a goal which was then scratched off VAR and changed to a penalty to
    Guadeloupe - surely you just let the goal stand? - Guadeloupe scored the penalty to go 2-1 up but Guatemala responded with some good attacking play to come through 3-2 winners. Guadeloupe missed a penalty (saved by the keeper) at the end.

Good atmosphere from the majority Guatemalan crowd, however, throwing foreign objects at the Guadeloupe players after they scored wasn't nice and a Guatemala fan got onto the pitch in an effort to put off the Guadeloupe penalty taker, which is just poor
    sportsmanship. It was the penalty they scored so ultimately had no effect, but still unpleasant.

Will such scenes be repeated at World Cup 2026, I wonder?

RM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From MH@21:1/5 to Real Mardin on Wed Jul 5 14:43:23 2023
    On 2023-07-05 14:05, Real Mardin wrote:

If this tournament has shown anything, it is how toothless and clueless >>>> the Canada B team is. We are without Davies, David, Larin, Eustaquio,
    Buchanan, Johnston, Adekugbe, Hutchinson (retired), Kaye and Koné. Only >>>> Miller. Laryea and Vitoria are left among those you might consider first >>>> choice or thereabouts.

?

You know CONCACAF better than me, but as an outsider I find this hard to comprehend. This is your confederation's championship, for crying out loud, surely you rest your best players in the Nations League and pick your strongest squad for the Gold Cup?

I don't know if this is going to be a general trend, but that is
    certainly what all of USA, Canada and Mexico seem to have done.

Maybe it is because there has never been all that much prestige
    associated with the Gold Cup ? Our WCQ competitions have had the best
    6 from the region in them (best 8 last time) for a while, so the
    relative strengths of teams are pretty well known.

It's hard to imagine European teams going all out to win the Nations League then picking under strength teams for the European Championship?

Maybe that day will come? There is no real reason to see the Euros,
    with so many teams now qualifying and the luck of the draw significant,
    as a more legitimate championship of Europe than the nations' league,
    except tradition.

Anyway, I watched some of Guadeloupe - Guatemala, which was a thoroughly entertaining game with Guatemala coming from behind to win 3-2. Bit of an odd scene with Guadeloupe scoring a goal which was then scratched off VAR and changed to a penalty to
    Guadeloupe - surely you just let the goal stand?

Normally yes, but maybe the goal was scored illegitimately , after a
    foul occurred ?

- Guadeloupe scored the penalty to go 2-1 up but Guatemala responded
    with some good attacking play to come through 3-2 winners. Guadeloupe
    missed a penalty (saved by the keeper) at the end.

Good atmosphere from the majority Guatemalan crowd, however, throwing foreign objects at the Guadeloupe players after they scored wasn't nice and a Guatemala fan got onto the pitch in an effort to put off the Guadeloupe penalty taker, which is just
    poor sportsmanship. It was the penalty they scored so ultimately had no effect, but still unpleasant.

Doubt it. I would not give great odds of Guatemala qualifying for one
    thing. Panama, Jamaica, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Honduras, Trinidad and Tobago, and nowadays possibly even Curacao, Haiti, and Suriname are
    generally better.

RM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Binder Dundat@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jul 5 14:18:27 2023
    On Wednesday, July 5, 2023 at 4:43:27 p.m. UTC-4, MH wrote:
    On 2023-07-05 14:05, Real Mardin wrote:

If this tournament has shown anything, it is how toothless and clueless >>>> the Canada B team is. We are without Davies, David, Larin, Eustaquio, >>>> Buchanan, Johnston, Adekugbe, Hutchinson (retired), Kaye and Koné. Only
    choice or thereabouts.

We clearly have nowhere near the depth of Mexico and the US, who both >>>> also left a lot of their more well known names off the roster.

Because they all just played in the CONCACAF nations' league semifinals >> and finals, and after a long season including the world cup, need a rest >> ?

You know CONCACAF better than me, but as an outsider I find this hard to comprehend. This is your confederation's championship, for crying out loud, surely you rest your best players in the Nations League and pick your strongest squad for the Gold
    Cup?
    I don't know if this is going to be a general trend, but that is
    certainly what all of USA, Canada and Mexico seem to have done.

Maybe it is because there has never been all that much prestige
    associated with the Gold Cup ? Our WCQ competitions have had the best
    6 from the region in them (best 8 last time) for a while, so the
    relative strengths of teams are pretty well known.

Maybe that day will come? There is no real reason to see the Euros,
    with so many teams now qualifying and the luck of the draw significant,
    as a more legitimate championship of Europe than the nations' league,
    except tradition.

Guadeloupe - surely you just let the goal stand?
    Normally yes, but maybe the goal was scored illegitimately , after a
    foul occurred ?
    - Guadeloupe scored the penalty to go 2-1 up but Guatemala responded
    with some good attacking play to come through 3-2 winners. Guadeloupe
    missed a penalty (saved by the keeper) at the end.

Good atmosphere from the majority Guatemalan crowd, however, throwing foreign objects at the Guadeloupe players after they scored wasn't nice and a Guatemala fan got onto the pitch in an effort to put off the Guadeloupe penalty taker, which is just
    poor sportsmanship. It was the penalty they scored so ultimately had no effect, but still unpleasant.

Doubt it. I would not give great odds of Guatemala qualifying for one
    thing. Panama, Jamaica, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Honduras, Trinidad and Tobago, and nowadays possibly even Curacao, Haiti, and Suriname are generally better.

RM

I think the Nations league has something to do with Qualifying for Olympics or WC or something?

Anyhow, not the most Rocking cup ever, I dont give Canada much of a chance, I suppose it is better to play USA in the QF than Jamaica for the simple reason it is a derby match. Mexico probably will win this thing, be nice if Jamaica did something, I
    thought they were as good as USA, Kanada on the other hand is about as good as Guadeloupe.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From MH@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jul 5 15:30:14 2023

RM

I think the Nations league has something to do with Qualifying for Olympics or WC or something?

Not that I can find anywhere. Olympics is U23 so it can't be that.

Anyhow, not the most Rocking cup ever, I dont give Canada much of a chance, I suppose it is better to play USA in the QF than Jamaica for the simple reason it is a derby match. Mexico probably will win this thing, be nice if Jamaica did something, I
    thought they were as good as USA, Kanada on the other hand is about as good as Guadeloupe.

I too expect the USA to steamroll us on Sunday. We have have not beaten
    them on their own turf in a very very long time.
    There were some promising signs yesterday, and if Herdman makes wise
    choices, and the US has a very off day, we might squeak a win on
    penalties or something. But I still think our defence is weak, and
    without Koné and Eustaquio in central midfield, we are likely to get
    over-run.

I too hope Jamaica or Panama can win this tournament.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Blueshirt@21:1/5 to Binder Dundat on Thu Jul 6 02:15:47 2023
    Binder Dundat wrote:

I think the Nations league has something to do with Qualifying for
    Olympics or WC or something?

If you are on about the UEFA Nations League, then yes there are paths to qualify for both the European Championships and the FIFA World Cup based
    on Nations League position, via spots in play-offs. (Not the Olympics
    though, as that is classed as an under-age tournament.) It's like a
    back-door for nations that haven't qualified directly.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark@21:1/5 to Blueshirt on Wed Jul 5 23:57:48 2023
    On Thursday, July 6, 2023 at 1:15:52 AM UTC+1, Blueshirt wrote:
    Binder Dundat wrote:

If you are on about the UEFA Nations League, then yes there are paths to qualify for both the European Championships and the FIFA World Cup based
    on Nations League position, via spots in play-offs. (Not the Olympics though, as that is classed as an under-age tournament.) It's like a back-door for nations that haven't qualified directly.

Did anyone see the match between Costa Rica and Martinique? 6-4! That sounded like an interesting match.

Also, how good are Guatemala?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Werner Pichler@21:1/5 to Real Mardin on Thu Jul 6 02:37:21 2023
    On Wednesday, July 5, 2023 at 10:05:08 PM UTC+2, Real Mardin wrote:

If this tournament has shown anything, it is how toothless and clueless >> the Canada B team is. We are without Davies, David, Larin, Eustaquio, >> Buchanan, Johnston, Adekugbe, Hutchinson (retired), Kaye and Koné. Only
    choice or thereabouts.

We clearly have nowhere near the depth of Mexico and the US, who both >> also left a lot of their more well known names off the roster.

Because they all just played in the CONCACAF nations' league semifinals and finals, and after a long season including the world cup, need a rest
    ?

You know CONCACAF better than me, but as an outsider I find this hard to comprehend. This is your confederation's championship, for crying out loud, surely
    you rest your best players in the Nations League and pick your strongest squad for the Gold Cup?

For once, neither MLS nor Liga MX interrupt their league schedules for the tournament.

Ciao,
    Werner

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From =?UTF-8?B?TGzDqW8=?=@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jul 6 09:12:53 2023
    Werner Pichler escreveu:
    On Wednesday, July 5, 2023 at 10:05:08 PM UTC+2, Real Mardin wrote:
    You know CONCACAF better than me, but as an outsider I find this hard to comprehend. This is your confederation's championship, for crying out loud,
    surely you rest your best players in the Nations League and pick your strongest
    squad for the Gold Cup?

For once, neither MLS nor Liga MX interrupt their league schedules for the tournament.

It used to be the case in the south too, there were many Copa Americas in
    the last couple of decades for which the Brazilian league did not interrupt its schedule. But at least the Brazilian national team is largely foreign based (though there are players from other South American national teams playing here as well), so the poor practice had a somewhat limited (however undesirable) impact.

But in the US and Mexico's cases, it is kinda mind-boggling indeed. Both
    sides are largely domestic based, plus there are US-based players in a lot other teams as well. I gave a cursory glance to the Gold Cup 2023 squads wikipedia page and stopped counting after 30, plus a few others in the US's lower leagues as well.

(btw, talking about lower leagues: I just found out that there is a player from Juventude, Brazilian Serie B, in the Guatemalan squad. Gerardo Gordillo
    is out there representing the Brazilian second division in US soil)

Plus, about picking understrength teams: Mexico stopped coming to play
    Copa America because they had to pick one of the competitions to field
    their main squad, and they chose the Gold Cup. Maybe it was due to Confederation pressure, but still, that means their usual practice is to
    make their main team available to their 'local' event. In this edition's
    case, I think MH's points about the players needing a rest after a long
    and unusual season (given the World Cup's odd scheduling) are likely the reasons why there are understrength sides around.

Best regards,

Lléo

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From MH@21:1/5 to Mark on Thu Jul 6 12:02:30 2023
    On 2023-07-06 00:57, Mark wrote:
    On Thursday, July 6, 2023 at 1:15:52 AM UTC+1, Blueshirt wrote:
    Binder Dundat wrote:

I think the Nations league has something to do with Qualifying for
    Olympics or WC or something?
    If you are on about the UEFA Nations League, then yes there are paths to
    qualify for both the European Championships and the FIFA World Cup based
    on Nations League position, via spots in play-offs. (Not the Olympics
    though, as that is classed as an under-age tournament.) It's like a
    back-door for nations that haven't qualified directly.

Did anyone see the match between Costa Rica and Martinique? 6-4! That sounded like an interesting match.

Also, how good are Guatemala?

Not very. Last time they were much good was when Carlos Ruiz was in his
    prime. Only made the final stage of CONCACAF world cup qualifying once
    in the last 25 plus years, (were in it by luck in the 1990 version),
    though they missed out narrowly on a few occasions.

Their performance in recent qualifying and in the Nations' league has
    not been great, but they seem to be on an upward trend the last two years.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From MH@21:1/5 to Mark on Fri Jul 7 11:56:52 2023

the Canada B team is. We are without Davies, David, Larin, Eustaquio,
    Buchanan, Johnston, Adekugbe, Hutchinson (retired), Kaye and Koné. Only
    choice or thereabouts.

This has also happened frequently in the Copa America in the past, where
    teams have often sent inexperienced squads and left out their best
    players. Eg. it is pretty hard to argue that Argentina's squad in 1997
    Copa America (in Bolivia) was anything close to their best, with no
    Batistuta, Balbo, Ortega, Ayala, Zanetti, Claudio Lopez, Simeone, Veron, Crespo, Sensini, Chamot etc.

I think fewer teams in South America are doing this nowadays, though
    Jesus or LLeo could set us straight on that.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From JG@21:1/5 to Real Mardin on Fri Jul 7 16:04:01 2023
    On Wednesday, July 5, 2023 at 4:05:08 PM UTC-4, Real Mardin wrote:

Historically the post-WC Gold Cup was the "serious" one where everyone sent their top team, but with the late World Cup last year and Copa America 2024 in the US where everyone will surely be sending their top teams, the players need a extended rest at
    some point.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From MH@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jul 7 21:31:00 2023
    On 2023-07-07 17:04, JG wrote:
    On Wednesday, July 5, 2023 at 4:05:08 PM UTC-4, Real Mardin wrote:

Historically the post-WC Gold Cup was the "serious" one where everyone sent their top team, but with the late World Cup last year and Copa America 2024 in the US where everyone will surely be sending their top teams, the players need a extended rest at
    some point.

Hey, stranger, good to hear from you again. How's Chemistry, or are you
    doing something else ?

I am not looking forward to Sunday's game, I think we are in for a
    trouncing.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From JG@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jul 8 07:46:01 2023
    On Friday, July 7, 2023 at 11:31:04 PM UTC-4, MH wrote:
    On 2023-07-07 17:04, JG wrote:

Historically the post-WC Gold Cup was the "serious" one where everyone sent their top team, but with the late World Cup last year and Copa America 2024 in the US where everyone will surely be sending their top teams, the players need a extended rest
    at some point.

Hey, stranger, good to hear from you again. How's Chemistry, or are you doing something else ?

Desk chemistry these days--it'll be 17 years (!!) next week. Can't complain.

I am not looking forward to Sunday's game, I think we are in for a trouncing.

I haven't seen enough of Canada's games to have a strong opinion--the US has had a couple confidence-builders but IDK if we can defend at all.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From =?UTF-8?B?TGzDqW8=?=@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jul 8 20:50:33 2023
    MH escreveu:

If this tournament has shown anything, it is how toothless and clueless >> the Canada B team is. We are without Davies, David, Larin, Eustaquio,
    Buchanan, Johnston, Adekugbe, Hutchinson (retired), Kaye and Koné. Only >> Miller. Laryea and Vitoria are left among those you might consider first >> choice or thereabouts.

This has also happened frequently in the Copa America in the past, where teams have often sent inexperienced squads and left out their best
    players. Eg. it is pretty hard to argue that Argentina's squad in 1997
    Copa America (in Bolivia) was anything close to their best, with no Batistuta, Balbo, Ortega, Ayala, Zanetti, Claudio Lopez, Simeone, Veron, Crespo, Sensini, Chamot etc.

I've looked up some squad lists in Wikipedia and the most "famous" ocurrences of B teams were Argentina 1997 (as you say), Brasil 2001 and 2004 and Uruguay 2001, plus Argentina not showing up in 2001 (due to security reasons). There was also Uruguay with a very young team in 1999 (average squad age circa 23), but that was because they were in complete rebuild mode, having missed WC'1998 and seen many of their old stars retire over that decade.

Beyond the top three, the other Conmebol teams usually bring the best team they
    can. I can think of a couple of exceptions, eg Chile 1997, Paraguay 2001, both missing some of their most important players, but I think that's about it? Maybe
    there are other examples, but I think there won't be many.

1997, 2001 and 2004 were editions held during the WCQ, after Copa America went to a two-year cycle and our WCQ became a double round robin, so I think these were the main factors. Plus, 2001 also had the security issues in Colombia, which
    made Argentina and Canada withdraw before the cup started.

I don't remember understrength teams after it went to a four-year cycle and out
    of the WCQ's way (ie, 2007 onwards), with the notable exception of Mexico a couple
    of times (2011 and 2015 IIRC?). But then, in these years they also played the Gold
    Cup and had to choose one of the cups to send the main team. I think that's why
    they haven't been invited since 2015.

Best regards,

Lléo

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jul 9 04:18:52 2023
    On Sunday, July 9, 2023 at 4:50:36 AM UTC+1, Lléo wrote:
    MH escreveu:

If this tournament has shown anything, it is how toothless and clueless >> the Canada B team is. We are without Davies, David, Larin, Eustaquio, >> Buchanan, Johnston, Adekugbe, Hutchinson (retired), Kaye and Koné. Only
    choice or thereabouts.

We clearly have nowhere near the depth of Mexico and the US, who both >> also left a lot of their more well known names off the roster.

This has also happened frequently in the Copa America in the past, where teams have often sent inexperienced squads and left out their best players. Eg. it is pretty hard to argue that Argentina's squad in 1997 Copa America (in Bolivia) was anything close to their best, with no Batistuta, Balbo, Ortega, Ayala, Zanetti, Claudio Lopez, Simeone, Veron, Crespo, Sensini, Chamot etc.

I've looked up some squad lists in Wikipedia and the most "famous" ocurrences
    of B teams were Argentina 1997 (as you say), Brasil 2001 and 2004 and Uruguay
    2001, plus Argentina not showing up in 2001 (due to security reasons). There was also Uruguay with a very young team in 1999 (average squad age circa 23),
    but that was because they were in complete rebuild mode, having missed WC'1998
    and seen many of their old stars retire over that decade.

can. I can think of a couple of exceptions, eg Chile 1997, Paraguay 2001, both
    missing some of their most important players, but I think that's about it? Maybe

Surely Brazil a few times between 1949 and 1989?

And I get the impression it's quite common for football clubs to field B teams in their domestic Cups. And judging by their results, Rangers certainly seemed to prioritize winning a record-equalling 9th consecutive Scottish Championship over the
    Champions League in 1997. (I haven't seen their team line-ups for that year though.)

Maybe we should start a new thread on how often and why teams prioritize one tournament over another.

Surely it's unusual for all the top teams to field a B team for a tournament though, as seems to be the case with this year's Gold Cup?

1997, 2001 and 2004 were editions held during the WCQ, after Copa America went
    to a two-year cycle and our WCQ became a double round robin, so I think these
    were the main factors. Plus, 2001 also had the security issues in Colombia, which

of the WCQ's way (ie, 2007 onwards), with the notable exception of Mexico a couple
    of times (2011 and 2015 IIRC?). But then, in these years they also played the Gold

Best regards,

Lléo

Yes I think the reason they changed it to every 4 years was because so many teams were sending B teams to the Copa America in the years before the World Cup.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark@21:1/5 to Mark on Tue Jul 11 04:20:20 2023
    On Sunday, July 9, 2023 at 12:18:54 PM UTC+1, Mark wrote:
    On Sunday, July 9, 2023 at 4:50:36 AM UTC+1, Lléo wrote:
    MH escreveu:

the Canada B team is. We are without Davies, David, Larin, Eustaquio, >> Buchanan, Johnston, Adekugbe, Hutchinson (retired), Kaye and Koné. Only
    choice or thereabouts.

This has also happened frequently in the Copa America in the past, where teams have often sent inexperienced squads and left out their best players. Eg. it is pretty hard to argue that Argentina's squad in 1997 Copa America (in Bolivia) was anything close to their best, with no Batistuta, Balbo, Ortega, Ayala, Zanetti, Claudio Lopez, Simeone, Veron, Crespo, Sensini, Chamot etc.

I think fewer teams in South America are doing this nowadays, though Jesus or LLeo could set us straight on that.
    I've looked up some squad lists in Wikipedia and the most "famous" ocurrences
    of B teams were Argentina 1997 (as you say), Brasil 2001 and 2004 and Uruguay
    2001, plus Argentina not showing up in 2001 (due to security reasons). There
    was also Uruguay with a very young team in 1999 (average squad age circa 23),
    but that was because they were in complete rebuild mode, having missed WC'1998
    and seen many of their old stars retire over that decade.

can. I can think of a couple of exceptions, eg Chile 1997, Paraguay 2001, both
    missing some of their most important players, but I think that's about it? Maybe
    Surely Brazil a few times between 1949 and 1989?

And I get the impression it's quite common for football clubs to field B teams in their domestic Cups. And judging by their results, Rangers certainly seemed to prioritize winning a record-equalling 9th consecutive Scottish Championship over the
    Champions League in 1997. (I haven't seen their team line-ups for that year though.)

Maybe we should start a new thread on how often and why teams prioritize one tournament over another.

Surely it's unusual for all the top teams to field a B team for a tournament though, as seems to be the case with this year's Gold Cup?

1997, 2001 and 2004 were editions held during the WCQ, after Copa America went
    to a two-year cycle and our WCQ became a double round robin, so I think these
    were the main factors. Plus, 2001 also had the security issues in Colombia, which

Best regards,

Lléo
    Yes I think the reason they changed it to every 4 years was because so many teams were sending B teams to the Copa America in the years before the World Cup.

Did Costa Rica send a B team aswell? Their results haven't been impressive. Or aren't they as good as they were about 10 or 20 years ago?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From JG@21:1/5 to Mark on Wed Jul 12 14:37:53 2023
    On Tuesday, July 11, 2023 at 7:20:22 AM UTC-4, Mark wrote:

Did Costa Rica send a B team aswell? Their results haven't been impressive. Or aren't they as good as they were about 10 or 20 years ago?

Their team in the 2022 cycle was the weakest they've had in a while and Keylor Navas retired from national team play.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Michael Falkner@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jul 12 22:41:18 2023
    USA-Jamaica will play again... for third place.

Panama defeated the Americans in penalties, Mexico beat Jamaica 3-0.

Mike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From MH@21:1/5 to Michael Falkner on Thu Jul 13 09:44:43 2023
    On 2023-07-12 23:41, Michael Falkner wrote:

Panama defeated the Americans in penalties,

Fair enough. It was a good game, Panama did very well. Also a
    remarkably clean and non-niggly game by CONCACAF standards.
    I have always felt that a team that progresses to a round on pens should
    lose, as a result of a kind of natural justice, if they go to pens yet
    again in a later stage.

Teams that win several rounds on pens lose a lot of legitimacy in my eyes.

Mexico beat Jamaica 3-0.

And looked very energetic doing it (at least in the first half, which I
    did watch.

Mike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Werner Pichler@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jul 13 09:33:21 2023
    On Thursday, July 13, 2023 at 5:44:47 PM UTC+2, MH wrote:

I have always felt that a team that progresses to a round on pens should lose, as a result of a kind of natural justice, if they go to pens yet
    again in a later stage.

I used to maintain that that was almost something of a rule at World Cups,
    then Croatia blew that theory out of the water.

Ciao,
    Werner

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From MH@21:1/5 to Werner Pichler on Thu Jul 13 12:28:25 2023
    On 2023-07-13 10:33, Werner Pichler wrote:

I have always felt that a team that progresses to a round on pens should
    lose, as a result of a kind of natural justice, if they go to pens yet
    again in a later stage.

I used to maintain that that was almost something of a rule at World Cups, then Croatia blew that theory out of the water.

Well Argentina in 1990 sorta did as well.

Ciao,
    Werner

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Werner Pichler@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jul 13 15:00:00 2023
    On Thursday, July 13, 2023 at 8:28:29 PM UTC+2, MH wrote:
    On 2023-07-13 10:33, Werner Pichler wrote:

I have always felt that a team that progresses to a round on pens should >> lose, as a result of a kind of natural justice, if they go to pens yet
    again in a later stage.

I used to maintain that that was almost something of a rule at World Cups, then Croatia blew that theory out of the water.

Well Argentina in 1990 sorta did as well.

Yeah but before 2018 they had been the only ones, now Croatia have done it twice.

Ciao,
    Werner

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark@21:1/5 to Michael Falkner on Fri Jul 14 00:01:26 2023
    On Thursday, July 13, 2023 at 6:41:20 AM UTC+1, Michael Falkner wrote:

There isn't a 3rd place play-off anymore. I don't know why.

Mike

It'd be good to see 1 of the underdogs win it for once. Go Panama!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From The Doctor@21:1/5 to Pammiesheart@yahoo.co.uk on Fri Jul 14 15:35:38 2023
    In article <03f19ba1-1b52-45d8-8e2f-7f2095b024b8n@googlegroups.com>,
    Mark <Pammiesheart@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
    On Thursday, July 13, 2023 at 6:41:20 AM UTC+1, Michael Falkner wrote:

There isn't a 3rd place play-off anymore. I don't know why.

Mike

It'd be good to see 1 of the underdogs win it for once. Go Panama!

I am with you on that one!
    --
    Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nk.ca Ici doctor@nk.ca
    Yahweh, King & country!Never Satan President Republic!Beware AntiChrist rising! Look at Psalms 14 and 53 on Atheism https://www.empire.kred/ROOTNK?t=94a1f39b Truth simplifies. -unknown Beware https://mindspring.com

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Michael Falkner@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jul 16 21:28:08 2023
    Mexico wins the final 1-0.

Sorry bout the other -- I'm surprised there isn't a third-place final, especially with the number of doubleheaders they scheduled anyway!

Mike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Real Mardin@21:1/5 to Michael Falkner on Sat Jul 22 04:31:37 2023
    On Monday, July 17, 2023 at 5:28:11 AM UTC+1, Michael Falkner wrote:
    Mexico wins the final 1-0.

Sorry bout the other -- I'm surprised there isn't a third-place final, especially with the number of doubleheaders they scheduled anyway!

Mike

Let me be the first on rss to congratulate Mexico on winning the 2023 Copa Oro!

I missed the stream on Viaplay so had to wait 5 days for Viaplay to show the repeat of the final on tv hence the belated congratulations. Not sure what everyone else’s excuse is.

The SoFi stadium looked great, I know some doubt has been cast on whether the pitch is wide enough to meet FIFA regulations for hosting World Cup matches but certainly the stadium itself looked like it would make a memorable World Cup venue.

RM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05