• Fiorentina - West Ham United Europa Conference League Final [R]

From Real Mardin@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jun 7 09:51:04 2023
    Fortuna Arena, Prague. Kickoff 8pm GMT, 9PM CET.

It's the 1960/61 European Cup Winners' Cup winners against the 1964/65 European Cup Winners' Cup and 1999 Intertoto Cup winners.

I know this competition is in its infancy but so far it's not delivering finals featuring the sort of third tier sides the tournament was supposed to benefit. Given their collective European experience and wealth (particularly considering West Ham sleep
    under the money tree that is the Premier League), these feel like two Europa League level teams to me. The odd thing is the two stadiums used for the finals so far have a distinct third tier feel to them - last year's venue the Air Albania Stadium in
    Tirana has a capacity of 22500 and tonight's venue holds 19370 - but something about the structure of the tournament seems to be preventing the third tier sides from getting through. Alas, my dreams of a HJK Helsinki v FK Sarajevo final will have to wait
    until another year.

Early reports are there has been trouble in Prague with Fiorentina fans allegedly attacking West Ham fans and dozens of arrests.

RM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Real Mardin@21:1/5 to Binder Dundat on Wed Jun 7 13:03:55 2023
    On Wednesday, June 7, 2023 at 8:57:26 PM UTC+1, Binder Dundat wrote:
    On Wednesday, June 7, 2023 at 12:51:06 p.m. UTC-4, Real Mardin wrote:

It's the 1960/61 European Cup Winners' Cup winners against the 1964/65 European Cup Winners' Cup and 1999 Intertoto Cup winners.

I know this competition is in its infancy but so far it's not delivering finals featuring the sort of third tier sides the tournament was supposed to benefit. Given their collective European experience and wealth (particularly considering West Ham
    sleep under the money tree that is the Premier League), these feel like two Europa League level teams to me. The odd thing is the two stadiums used for the finals so far have a distinct third tier feel to them - last year's venue the Air Albania Stadium
    in Tirana has a capacity of 22500 and tonight's venue holds 19370 - but something about the structure of the tournament seems to be preventing the third tier sides from getting through. Alas, my dreams of a HJK Helsinki v FK Sarajevo final will have to
    wait until another year.

Early reports are there has been trouble in Prague with Fiorentina fans allegedly attacking West Ham fans and dozens of arrests.

RM
    the west ham fans seem to be the ones throwing stuff. Florence and the machine scored at the end of the half, but calledoffside. my feeling is thisends 0-0

Two different incidents - reportedly Fiorentina fans attacked West Ham fan in the city centre. I've just seen a slow motion replay of West Ham fans throwing beer cups at Fiorentina's Biraghi, cutting him on the back of the head with the blood flowing
    down barbed wire match style. Not nice and in this day and age of CCTV you'd like to think the perpetrators will be identified, prosecuted and hopefully banned from attending future matches.

RM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Real Mardin@21:1/5 to Real Mardin on Wed Jun 7 12:59:20 2023
    On Wednesday, June 7, 2023 at 5:51:06 PM UTC+1, Real Mardin wrote:

I know this competition is in its infancy but so far it's not delivering finals featuring the sort of third tier sides the tournament was supposed to benefit. Given their collective European experience and wealth (particularly considering West Ham
    sleep under the money tree that is the Premier League), these feel like two Europa League level teams to me. The odd thing is the two stadiums used for the finals so far have a distinct third tier feel to them - last year's venue the Air Albania Stadium
    in Tirana has a capacity of 22500 and tonight's venue holds 19370 - but something about the structure of the tournament seems to be preventing the third tier sides from getting through. Alas, my dreams of a HJK Helsinki v FK Sarajevo final will have to
    wait until another year.

RM

Nothing much to report at half time, Fiorentina dominating possession but 0 shots on goal tells it's own story.

My first impression was the Fortuna Arena (capacity 19370) looks far too small to host a European final between two teams of this stature. Looking up the average attendance for each side backs that up - West Ham have an average crowd of around 62000 and
    Fiorentina about 30000.

I was just about to say how refreshing it is to see fans allowed to have a beer at their seat when apparently West Ham fans started throwing their cups at a Fiorentina player they thought was play acting, oh dear.

RM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Binder Dundat@21:1/5 to Real Mardin on Wed Jun 7 12:57:24 2023
    On Wednesday, June 7, 2023 at 12:51:06 p.m. UTC-4, Real Mardin wrote:

wait until another year.

RM

the west ham fans seem to be the ones throwing stuff. Florence and the machine scored at the end of the half, but calledoffside. my feeling is thisends 0-0

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From MH@21:1/5 to Real Mardin on Wed Jun 7 14:10:30 2023
    On 2023-06-07 10:51, Real Mardin wrote:

wait until another year.

RM

Bit of an ill tempered match so far. Fiorentina players flopping all
    over the place early on, with very little contact. West Ham players let
    that and the fact they were being outplayed get under their skin and
    they have been pretty poor so far. Lots of gesticulation and a few bad tempered challenges.

Fans have been misbehaving at the West Ham end. Throwing plastic glasses
    at players taking corners. Resulted in cut to Biraghi ? who was
    bleeding profusely from the back of his head. I wonder will that result
    in the match being replayed if West Ham win (unlikely as that seems at
    this stage). There is precedent - Celtic- Austria Wien in the mid 80s
    for instance. Also Real Madrid Inter the same year. Funnily enough the decisions were different in the two cases.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From MH@21:1/5 to Real Mardin on Wed Jun 7 14:15:05 2023

I know this competition is in its infancy but so far it's not delivering finals featuring the sort of third tier sides

Might be a bit unkind but these ARE third tier sides. West Ham was in relegation trouble most of the season, and will not qualify for Europe
    next year unless they win this one. Fiorentina one place below
    qualification for ECL next year as well.

the tournament was supposed to benefit. Given their collective European experience and wealth (particularly considering West Ham sleep under the
    money tree that is the Premier League), these feel like two Europa
    League level teams to me. The odd thing is the two stadiums used for the
    finals so far have a distinct third tier feel to them - last year's
    venue the Air Albania Stadium in Tirana has a capacity of 22500 and
    tonight's venue holds 19370 - but something about the structure of the tournament seems to be preventing the third tier sides from getting
    through. Alas, my dreams of a HJK Helsinki v FK Sarajevo final will have
    to wait until another year.

RM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Blueshirt@21:1/5 to Real Mardin on Wed Jun 7 20:02:37 2023
    Real Mardin wrote:

Nothing much to report at half time, Fiorentina dominating possession
    but 0 shots on goal tells it's own story.

This is one dull game with two average teams.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Real Mardin@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jun 7 13:34:12 2023
    67 minutes - Fiorentina equalise, long ball into the box headed down to Bonaventura, he controlled the ball before hitting a low diagonal shot through a crowd of players to beat the keeper.

In light of West Ham's ridiculous VAR handall penalty even as a neutral it's hard not to be pleased with Fiorentina equalising.

RM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Real Mardin@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jun 7 13:30:20 2023
    62 minutes - West Ham take the lead with a VAR handball penalty smashed away by Benrahma. The sort of decision I can't understand - accidental handball by Biraghi as he ran to chase a loose ball - I know "accidental" isn't part of the test anymore but
    the body being in an unnatural position is. In the context of the player running toward the ball, an outstretched arm is surely a natural body position?

RM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Real Mardin@21:1/5 to Real Mardin on Wed Jun 7 13:43:17 2023
    On Wednesday, June 7, 2023 at 9:34:14 PM UTC+1, Real Mardin wrote:
    67 minutes - Fiorentina equalise, long ball into the box headed down to Bonaventura, he controlled the ball before hitting a low diagonal shot through a crowd of players to beat the keeper.

In light of West Ham's ridiculous VAR handall penalty even as a neutral it's hard not to be pleased with Fiorentina equalising.

RM

79 minutes, the match is opening up now with chances at both ends. This could really go either way.

RM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Real Mardin@21:1/5 to Real Mardin on Wed Jun 7 13:57:53 2023
    On Wednesday, June 7, 2023 at 9:43:19 PM UTC+1, Real Mardin wrote:

RM
    79 minutes, the match is opening up now with chances at both ends. This could really go either way.

RM

90 minutes - just as thoughts were turning to extra time, Paqueta releases Bowen with a through ball, he was put through clear on goal and whilst some distance away outpaced everyone else to get close enough to shoot and put West Ham 2-1 up.

A good goal but in the context of West Ham's VAR handball penalty this doesn't feel like justice.

RM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Real Mardin@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jun 7 14:09:18 2023
    FT: Fiorentina 1 - West Ham 2

West Ham win their first European trophy since 1965 and their first major trophy since the 1980 FA Cup.

Serie A now 0 for 2 in this year's European finals, can Inter restore some pride on Saturday?

Football has got to get on top of the handball rule - accidental handballs should not be producing penalties, particularly not ones that make the difference in a European final. Gary Lineker said on Match of the Day a few days ago that he had heard the
    accidental handball rule is coming back in the near future, I sincerely hope he's right.

RM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From MH@21:1/5 to Real Mardin on Wed Jun 7 15:10:21 2023
    On 2023-06-07 14:57, Real Mardin wrote:

RM

RM

90 minutes - just as thoughts were turning to extra time, Paqueta releases Bowen with a through ball, he was put through clear on goal and whilst some distance away outpaced everyone else to get close enough to shoot and put West Ham 2-1 up.

A good goal but in the context of West Ham's VAR handball penalty

In the context of how handball is assessed these days (which I think is
    a terrible idea), that was not a particularly harsh decision. I would
    say I have seen dozens, including the one against Grealish in the FA cup
    final, that were less obvious. the motion of Biraghi's hand , whether intentional or not,directed the ball away from Bowen and gave a clear
    advantage to Fiorentina.

SO, any bets on whether this one is ordered to be replayed ? Or West
    Ham banned from Europe because of fan behaviour ?

this doesn't feel like justice.

RM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Blueshirt@21:1/5 to Real Mardin on Wed Jun 7 21:07:00 2023
    Real Mardin wrote:

Second half was better than the first... but that's not saying much.

I hope the 'proper' European Final on Saturday is a lot better.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Binder Dundat@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jun 7 14:24:10 2023
    On Wednesday, June 7, 2023 at 5:10:24 p.m. UTC-4, MH wrote:

RM

RM

say I have seen dozens, including the one against Grealish in the FA cup final, that were less obvious. the motion of Biraghi's hand , whether intentional or not,directed the ball away from Bowen and gave a clear advantage to Fiorentina.

RM

yeah, in the world of terrible hand ball penals, this one was not so badand almost understandable. i really doubt they do anything ab/out the westham fan behaviour

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Real Mardin@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jun 7 14:20:50 2023
    On Wednesday, June 7, 2023 at 10:10:24 PM UTC+1, MH wrote:

RM

RM

say I have seen dozens, including the one against Grealish in the FA cup final, that were less obvious. the motion of Biraghi's hand , whether intentional or not,directed the ball away from Bowen and gave a clear advantage to Fiorentina.

Though I do agree Fiorentina were unfairly impacted, I don't think UEFA would order a replay in this day and age - they'll just say there isn't enough time to find another free stadium or that it would negatively impact both club's preparations for next
    season (bearing in mind we have Euro 2024 qualifiers coming up which will reduce the number of free match days).

Neither do I think West Ham will be banned, UEFA need them to take their place in the Europa League next season to give their new competition legitimacy.

Realistically I think the most justice we can expect is for West Ham to play their first couple of Europa League home games next season behind closed doors.

RM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Blueshirt@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jun 7 21:28:09 2023
    MH wrote:

In the context of how handball is assessed these days (which I think
    is a terrible idea), that was not a particularly harsh decision. I
    would say I have seen dozens, including the one against Grealish in
    the FA cup final, that were less obvious. the motion of Biraghi's
    hand , whether intentional or not,directed the ball away from Bowen
    and gave a clear advantage to Fiorentina.

SO, any bets on whether this one is ordered to be replayed ? Or
    West Ham banned from Europe because of fan behaviour ?

It won't be replayed but West Ham will almost certainly get fined for
    their fans behaviour.

West Ham were probably the better team on the night, so I don't see the
    result as unfair.

Yeah, the VAR call was right by the law as it stands, the hand clearly
    moved the ball... but that law around unintentional hand ball isn't
    really fair and it needs to be changed.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Werner Pichler@21:1/5 to Blueshirt on Wed Jun 7 14:49:26 2023
    On Wednesday, June 7, 2023 at 11:28:12 PM UTC+2, Blueshirt wrote:
    MH wrote:

Not a chance. A fine, that's it.

It won't be replayed but West Ham will almost certainly get fined for
    their fans behaviour.

West Ham were probably the better team on the night, so I don't see the result as unfair.

I have absolutely no qualms regarding the penalty. The ball was in front of Biraghi and
    if he hadn't punched it out of the air it would have fallen straight onto Bowen's foot.

It's Biraghi's job as a professional defender to know where the ball is and where his hands
    are, not the referee's job to read Biraghi's mind to see whether he handled it unintentionally.

Ciao,
    Werner

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Werner Pichler@21:1/5 to Real Mardin on Wed Jun 7 14:59:49 2023
    On Wednesday, June 7, 2023 at 11:09:19 PM UTC+2, Real Mardin wrote:

West Ham win their first European trophy since 1965 and their first major trophy since the 1980 FA Cup.

Serie A now 0 for 2 in this year's European finals, can Inter restore some pride on Saturday?

Emerson Palmieri has now won five different UEFA competitions - Champions League,
    Europa League and Super Cup with Chelsea, Conference League with West Ham, and EURO with Italy.

He's missing the Nations League though.

Ciao,
    Werner

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Werner Pichler@21:1/5 to Real Mardin on Wed Jun 7 14:56:45 2023
    On Wednesday, June 7, 2023 at 6:51:06 PM UTC+2, Real Mardin wrote:

I know this competition is in its infancy but so far it's not delivering finals featuring the sort of third tier sides the tournament was supposed to benefit. Given their collective European experience and wealth
    (particularly considering West Ham sleep under the money tree that is the Premier League), these feel like two Europa League level teams to me. The odd thing is the two stadiums used for the finals so far have a
    distinct third tier feel to them - last year's venue the Air Albania Stadium in Tirana has a capacity of 22500 and tonight's venue holds 19370

The idea was to give European finals to countries that otherwise couldn't have them. Both stadia are the biggest in their respective countries
    (a fact that's a bit shocking regarding the Czech Republic).

But I think UEFA underestimated the appeal of their own competition and now see that by choosing these small venues they leave money on the table,
    so I'm quite certain that from next year onwards final attendances of 20,000 will be a thing of the past.

Ciao,
    Werner

- but something about the structure of the tournament seems to be
    preventing the third tier sides from getting through. Alas, my dreams of a HJK Helsinki v FK Sarajevo final will have to wait until another year.

RM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Real Mardin@21:1/5 to Werner Pichler on Wed Jun 7 15:02:14 2023
    On Wednesday, June 7, 2023 at 10:49:27 PM UTC+1, Werner Pichler wrote:
    MH wrote:

Not a chance. A fine, that's it.
    It won't be replayed but West Ham will almost certainly get fined for their fans behaviour.

West Ham were probably the better team on the night, so I don't see the result as unfair.

Yeah, the VAR call was right by the law as it stands, the hand clearly moved the ball... but that law around unintentional hand ball isn't
    I have absolutely no qualms regarding the penalty. The ball was in front of Biraghi and
    if he hadn't punched it out of the air....

He didn't "punch" the ball, his hand and the ball collided as he ran toward it. Obviously as a defender he has to run toward the ball, that's his job.

It's Biraghi's job as a professional defender to know where the ball is and where his hands
    are, not the referee's job to read Biraghi's mind to see whether he handled it unintentionally.

No, but the referee is supposed to make a determination as to whether Biraghi's body was in an unnatural position and at the risk of sounding like a broken record in the context of a player running I don't see how you can say his body was in an unnatural
    position.

We can agree to disagree about the decision, but I hope we can all agree the current handball rules are nonsense and need reforming.

RM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Blueshirt@21:1/5 to Werner Pichler on Wed Jun 7 22:08:30 2023
    Werner Pichler wrote:

On Wednesday, June 7, 2023 at 11:09:19 PM UTC+2, Real Mardin wrote:

West Ham win their first European trophy since 1965 and their first
    major trophy since the 1980 FA Cup.

Serie A now 0 for 2 in this year's European finals, can Inter
    restore some pride on Saturday?

Emerson Palmieri has now won five different UEFA competitions -
    Champions League, Europa League and Super Cup with Chelsea,
    Conference League with West Ham, and EURO with Italy.

He's missing the Nations League though.

You read Fabrizio Romano's tweet too, eh? :-)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Blueshirt@21:1/5 to Real Mardin on Wed Jun 7 22:12:02 2023
    Real Mardin wrote:

We can agree to disagree about the decision, but I hope we can all
    agree the current handball rules are nonsense and need reforming.

Rumours are that it will be 'amended' for next season, but we'll have
    to wait and see.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Werner Pichler@21:1/5 to Real Mardin on Wed Jun 7 15:20:59 2023
    On Thursday, June 8, 2023 at 12:02:16 AM UTC+2, Real Mardin wrote:

Yeah, the VAR call was right by the law as it stands, the hand clearly moved the ball... but that law around unintentional hand ball isn't really fair and it needs to be changed.

He didn't "punch" the ball, his hand and the ball collided as he ran toward it.

Which had what effect on the ball? Something like being punched?

Obviously as a defender he has to run toward the ball, that's his job.

No, but the referee is supposed to make a determination as to whether Biraghi's body was in an unnatural position and at the risk of sounding like a broken record
    in the context of a player running I don't see how you can say his body was in an unnatural position.

We can agree to disagree about the decision, but I hope we can all agree the current handball rules are nonsense and need reforming.

What reforms would you suggest?

I can tell you what I don't want to see - players flailing their arms around willy-nilly, safe in the knowledge they'll have plausible
    deniability if they can claim that they didn't aim for the ball - e.g. on occasion of a free-kick a player in the wall facing away from the ball,
    but raising his arms as high as he can.

So how would you phrase a handball rule that encompasses that? Ideally without recurring to 'intent' and so necessitating mind-reading
    powers on part of the referees? And we all know if there's a loophole in the rules, savvy players will find it.

My suggestion that I've already repeated a couple of times here would be to punish *all* handballs where the ball has travelled
    more than 9.15m/10 yards (distance between free-kick location and wall), before hitting an arm - something that VAR could determine -
    which should leave enough time for any defender to get his extremities out of the way, and punish only the most egregious
    cases when the distance is less. But that's just a first thought.

Ciao,
    Werner

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From MH@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jun 7 18:13:41 2023
    On 2023-06-07 14:10, MH wrote:

It's the 1960/61 European Cup Winners' Cup winners against the 1964/65
    European Cup Winners' Cup and 1999 Intertoto Cup winners.

I know this competition is in its infancy but so far it's not
    delivering finals featuring the sort of third tier sides the
    tournament was supposed to benefit. Given their collective European
    experience and wealth (particularly considering West Ham sleep under
    the money tree that is the Premier League), these feel like two Europa
    League level teams to me. The odd thing is the two stadiums used for
    the finals so far have a distinct third tier feel to them - last
    year's venue the Air Albania Stadium in Tirana has a capacity of 22500
    and tonight's venue holds 19370 - but something about the structure of
    the tournament seems to be preventing the third tier sides from
    getting through. Alas, my dreams of a HJK Helsinki v FK Sarajevo final
    will have to wait until another year.

Early reports are there has been trouble in Prague with Fiorentina
    fans allegedly attacking West Ham fans and dozens of arrests.

RM

Bit of an ill tempered match so far.  Fiorentina players flopping all
    over the place early on, with very little contact. West Ham players let
    that and the fact they were being outplayed get under their skin and
    they have been pretty poor so far.  Lots of gesticulation and a few bad tempered challenges.

Fans have been misbehaving at the West Ham end. Throwing plastic glasses
    at players taking corners.  Resulted in  cut to Biraghi ?  who was bleeding profusely from the back of his head.  I wonder will that result
    in the match being replayed if West Ham win (unlikely as that seems at
    this stage).  There is precedent - Celtic- Austria Wien in the mid 80s
    for instance. Also Real Madrid Inter the same year.  Funnily enough the decisions were different in the  two cases.

Wrong Wien - it was Rapid, who ended up going all the way to the final. However, Everton gave them no chance in the final and won comfortably.
    That was a very good Everton side who came close to a treble of sorts
    (lost FA cup final to Man united), winning the league while using an astonishingly small number of players (even for those days). Very
    consistent and well integrated line-up.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From MH@21:1/5 to Real Mardin on Wed Jun 7 18:10:58 2023
    On 2023-06-07 15:09, Real Mardin wrote:

I was thinking this was Moyes's first trophy, but I suppose some would
    count the Community Shield (does not fit my definition of a major
    trophy), and he did win a Scottish Premier League (or maybe called First division or premier divsion back then) as a player.
    Also won Division 3 as a player and Division 2 as manager with Preston.

Don't know if West Ham want to keep him after a disappointing season in
    the league. Perhaps Celtic would want him to replace Postecoglu, who is
    going to Spurs from what I read.

Football has got to get on top of the handball rule - accidental handballs should not be producing penalties, particularly not ones that make the difference in a European final. Gary Lineker said on Match of the Day a few days ago that he had heard the
    accidental handball rule is coming back in the near future, I sincerely hope he's right.

RM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Michael Falkner@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jun 8 11:36:34 2023
    I'd disagree. West Ham is at least a third-tier English side at this point.

If you really want a third-tier Euro competition of that ilk, you keep the big Euro leagues out of it.

Mike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Michael Falkner@21:1/5 to Real Mardin on Thu Jun 8 11:42:30 2023
    On Wednesday, June 7, 2023 at 1:30:22 PM UTC-7, Real Mardin wrote:
    62 minutes - West Ham take the lead with a VAR handball penalty smashed away by Benrahma. The sort of decision I can't understand - accidental handball by Biraghi as he ran to chase a loose ball - I know "accidental" isn't part of the test anymore but
    the body being in an unnatural position is. In the context of the player running toward the ball, an outstretched arm is surely a natural body position?

Irrelevant. The hand actually pushes the ball away from a massive scoring chance. You not only call the penalty there, but that's a card of some color.

Mike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Real Mardin@21:1/5 to Werner Pichler on Thu Jun 8 15:02:48 2023
    On Wednesday, June 7, 2023 at 11:21:01 PM UTC+1, Werner Pichler wrote:

Yeah, the VAR call was right by the law as it stands, the hand clearly moved the ball... but that law around unintentional hand ball isn't really fair and it needs to be changed.

No, but the referee is supposed to make a determination as to whether Biraghi's body was in an unnatural position and at the risk of sounding like a broken record
    in the context of a player running I don't see how you can say his body was in an unnatural position.

I'm afraid my view is intent needs to be a crucial element of handball calls. Eg, there would be no more accidental handball calls. If that entails a referee having to analyse VAR footage for a few minutes to make a judgement as to whether a player's
    body position suggests the handball was intentional then so be it. I'd much prefer that than a team being handed (excuse the pun) a European trophy because of the sort of ridiculous decision we saw yesterday.

Essentially the only handball decisions that should be called are:

1) Player picks up the ball

2) Player deliberately controls the ball with his hands, eg if he is on the ground following a tackle.

3) Players uses hands to deliberately swat away an aerial ball.

4) Player deliberately uses hands to stop the ball going into his own net.

Thinking of 4, I think that would be the only situation where I'd allow an accidental handball to given as a penalty. If the ball is clearly about to go into the net but for contact with the defender's hand, then even if accidental that should be an
    offence. I'd even go as far as removing the requirement for a penalty in those situations and simply award the attacking team a goal, much like the goal tending rule in basketball.

RM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Real Mardin@21:1/5 to Michael Falkner on Thu Jun 8 14:40:19 2023
    On Thursday, June 8, 2023 at 7:42:32 PM UTC+1, Michael Falkner wrote:
    On Wednesday, June 7, 2023 at 1:30:22 PM UTC-7, Real Mardin wrote:
    62 minutes - West Ham take the lead with a VAR handball penalty smashed away by Benrahma. The sort of decision I can't understand - accidental handball by Biraghi as he ran to chase a loose ball - I know "accidental" isn't part of the test anymore
    but the body being in an unnatural position is. In the context of the player running toward the ball, an outstretched arm is surely a natural body position?
    Irrelevant. The hand actually pushes the ball away from a massive scoring chance. You not only call the penalty there, but that's a card of some color.

It's not irrelevant, it's the rules of the game:

https://www.theifab.com/laws/latest/fouls-and-misconduct/#direct-free-kick

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Handling the ball

For the purposes of determining handball offences, the upper boundary of the arm is in line with the bottom of the armpit. **Not every touch of a player’s hand/arm with the ball is an offence.**

It is an offence if a player:

deliberately touches the ball with their hand/arm, for example moving the hand/arm towards the ball

**touches the ball with their hand/arm when it has made their body unnaturally bigger**. **A player is considered to have made their body unnaturally bigger when the position of their hand/arm is not a consequence of, or justifiable by, the player’
    s body movement for that specific situation.** By having their hand/arm in such a position, the player takes a risk of their hand/arm being hit by the ball and being penalised

scores in the opponents’ goal:

directly from their hand/arm, even if accidental, including by the goalkeeper

immediately after the ball has touched their hand/arm, even if accidental

The goalkeeper has the same restrictions on handling the ball as any other player outside the penalty area. If the goalkeeper handles the ball inside their penalty area when not permitted to do so, an indirect free kick is awarded but there is no
    disciplinary sanction. However, if the offence is playing the ball a second time (with or without the hand/arm) after a restart before it touches another player, the goalkeeper must be sanctioned if the offence stops a promising attack or denies an
    opponent or the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity. " --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You'll see from the above that an "accidental" handball is only an offence where the player has made their body unnaturally bigger. Where the position of the hand is a consequence of the player's body movement in a particular situation, there is no
    offence.

In the position being debated, Biraghi's arm was in the position it was in as he was running toward the loose ball, hence it was a consequence of his body movement in that particular situation and the penalty shouldn't have been given.

RM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From MH@21:1/5 to Werner Pichler on Thu Jun 8 16:53:41 2023
    On 2023-06-07 16:20, Werner Pichler wrote:

Yeah, the VAR call was right by the law as it stands, the hand clearly >>>> moved the ball... but that law around unintentional hand ball isn't

What about taking consequences into consideration? If the effect of
    contact of hand/arm with the ball (whether apparently intentional or
    not) is to:
    1. Bring the ball under the control of the defender or his team-mates
    2. Deflect a pass or shot that was plausibly going towards the goal or a
    team mate. so that it does not reach its intended goal.
    3. Cause the team previously in possession of the ball (attacking team
    if you will) to lose possession or forgo a legitimate chance of keeping/regaining possession.
    Then it should be penalized (no matter where it happens on the pitch).

I can tell you what I don't want to see - players flailing their arms around willy-nilly, safe in the knowledge they'll have plausible
    deniability if they can claim that they didn't aim for the ball - e.g. on occasion of a free-kick a player in the wall facing away from the ball,
    but raising his arms as high as he can.

So how would you phrase a handball rule that encompasses that? Ideally without recurring to 'intent' and so necessitating mind-reading
    powers on part of the referees? And we all know if there's a loophole in the rules, savvy players will find it.

My suggestion that I've already repeated a couple of times here would be to punish *all* handballs where the ball has travelled
    more than 9.15m/10 yards (distance between free-kick location and wall), before hitting an arm - something that VAR could determine -
    which should leave enough time for any defender to get his extremities out of the way, and punish only the most egregious
    cases when the distance is less. But that's just a first thought.

Ciao,
    Werner

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Michael Falkner@21:1/5 to Real Mardin on Thu Jun 8 16:15:47 2023
    On Thursday, June 8, 2023 at 3:02:50 PM UTC-7, Real Mardin wrote:

I'm afraid my view is intent needs to be a crucial element of handball calls. Eg, there would be no more accidental handball calls. If that entails a referee having to analyse VAR footage for a few minutes to make a judgement as to whether a player's
    body position suggests the handball was intentional then so be it. I'd much prefer that than a team being handed (excuse the pun) a European trophy because of the sort of ridiculous decision we saw yesterday.

2) Player deliberately controls the ball with his hands, eg if he is on the ground following a tackle.

Problem is, under #3, I still think you call this handball. Otherwise you have a real problem determining intent.

Mike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Futbolmetrix@21:1/5 to Werner Pichler on Fri Jun 9 07:47:07 2023
    On Wednesday, June 7, 2023 at 6:21:01 PM UTC-4, Werner Pichler wrote:

I'm OK with going back to the referees doing mind reading. And if some players are really good at flailing their arms and make it look unintentional, good for them.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Al Kamista@21:1/5 to Futbolmetrix on Fri Jun 9 09:27:18 2023
    On Friday, June 9, 2023 at 10:47:08 AM UTC-4, Futbolmetrix wrote:
    I'm OK with going back to the referees doing mind reading. And if some players are really good at flailing their arms and make it look unintentional, good for them.

A better solution is to award direct FKs from the spot of the handball (or foul for that matter). The only handballs and fouls that result in PKs should be the denial of a clear goalscoring opportunity (i.e. what is currently a red card).

Giving a team a 75-80% chance of scoring because of a minor infringement in the far reaches of the penalty area seems like cruel and unusual punishment. It sounds like something an Englishman with a handlebar mustache thought of in 1863 and no one has
    had the common sense to challenge it since.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Real Mardin@21:1/5 to Al Kamista on Fri Jun 9 14:42:34 2023
    On Friday, June 9, 2023 at 5:27:21 PM UTC+1, Al Kamista wrote:
    A better solution is to award direct FKs from the spot of the handball (or foul for that matter). The only handballs and fouls that result in PKs should be the denial of a clear goalscoring opportunity (i.e. what is currently a red card).

Giving a team a 75-80% chance of scoring because of a minor infringement in the far reaches of the penalty area seems like cruel and unusual punishment. It sounds like something an Englishman with a handlebar mustache thought of in 1863 and no one has

Agreed, implementing this would be progress in my view. Never really understood why an accidental handball just inside the penalty area while numerous defenders are behind the ball should result in a chance to score one on one against the keeper.

RM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Werner Pichler@21:1/5 to Real Mardin on Sat Jun 10 08:39:38 2023
    On Friday, June 9, 2023 at 12:02:50 AM UTC+2, Real Mardin wrote:

moved the ball... but that law around unintentional hand ball isn't really fair and it needs to be changed.

I'm afraid my view is intent needs to be a crucial element of handball calls. Eg, there would be no more accidental handball calls. If that entails a referee having to analyse VAR footage for a few minutes to make a
    judgement as to whether a player's body position suggests the handball was intentional then so be it. I'd much prefer that than a team being handed (excuse the pun) a European trophy because of the sort of
    ridiculous decision we saw yesterday.

Thinking of 4, I think that would be the only situation where I'd allow an accidental handball to given as a penalty. If the ball is clearly about to go into the net but for contact with the defender's hand, then even if
    accidental that should be an offence. I'd even go as far as removing the requirement for a penalty in those situations and simply award the attacking team a goal, much like the goal tending rule in basketball.

I gave a concrete example - player in a free-kick wall, raising his hands, but turning away from the ball, so not 'deliberately' handling it,
    should the shot indeed go off his arms. Would that be OK with you? Because nowhere in your above suggestions would that be forbidden.

Ciao,
    Werner

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Werner Pichler@21:1/5 to Futbolmetrix on Sat Jun 10 08:37:15 2023
    On Friday, June 9, 2023 at 4:47:08 PM UTC+2, Futbolmetrix wrote:

I daresay they already are. I do feel that for some reason it's much more often a defender than an attacker that's 'unintentionally' handling a ball in the box.

Ciao,
    Werner

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From MH@21:1/5 to Real Mardin on Sat Jun 10 09:41:21 2023
    On 2023-06-09 15:42, Real Mardin wrote:
    On Wednesday, June 7, 2023 at 6:21:01 PM UTC-4, Werner Pichler wrote: >>>> What reforms would you suggest?

Agreed, implementing this would be progress in my view. Never really understood why an accidental handball just inside the penalty area while numerous defenders are behind the ball should result in a chance to score one on one against the keeper.

One of many rules in sports that do not really make sense. Baseball
    still has quite a few oddities, some of which have a purpose (infield
    fly rule) and others which don't (the whole foul tip business and the
    different treatment of that on a third strike). Rugby does as well -
    although they have tried to fix the scoring to give more weight to tries
    over the years, it makes no sense to me that a penalty is worth the same
    as a dropped goal, given that the latter is much harder to execute. They
    should band kicking tees, in my view. And the whole 50-22 rule (quite
    new) is not logical at all.

RM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Werner Pichler@21:1/5 to Real Mardin on Sat Jun 10 08:31:18 2023
    On Friday, June 9, 2023 at 11:42:35 PM UTC+2, Real Mardin wrote:
    A better solution is to award direct FKs from the spot of the handball (or foul for that matter). The only handballs and fouls that result in PKs should be the denial of a clear goalscoring opportunity (i.e. what is
    currently a red card).

Giving a team a 75-80% chance of scoring because of a minor infringement in the far reaches of the penalty area seems like cruel and unusual punishment. It sounds like something an Englishman with a
    handlebar mustache thought of in 1863 and no one has had the common sense to challenge it since.

Agreed, implementing this would be progress in my view. Never really understood why an accidental handball just inside the penalty area while numerous defenders are behind the ball should result in a chance to
    score one on one against the keeper.

You could ask the very same question for any foul that's not DOGSO.

Ciao,
    Werner

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Werner Pichler@21:1/5 to Al Kamista on Sat Jun 10 08:35:47 2023
    On Friday, June 9, 2023 at 6:27:21 PM UTC+2, Al Kamista wrote:

Giving a team a 75-80% chance of scoring because of a minor infringement in the far reaches of the penalty area seems like cruel and unusual punishment. It sounds like something an Englishman with a handlebar
    mustache thought of in 1863

Northern Irishman, and 1890. You're quite correct about the moustache. https://epicchq.com/story/william-mccrum-the-irish-inventor-of-the-penalty-kick/

and no one has had the common sense to challenge it since.

The English came around because of a proto-Suárez. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Hendry_(footballer,_born_1867)

Ciao,
    Werner

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Real Mardin@21:1/5 to Werner Pichler on Sat Jun 10 09:54:47 2023
    On Saturday, June 10, 2023 at 4:39:39 PM UTC+1, Werner Pichler wrote:

I'm afraid my view is intent needs to be a crucial element of handball calls. Eg, there would be no more accidental handball calls. If that entails a referee having to analyse VAR footage for a few minutes to make a
    judgement as to whether a player's body position suggests the handball was intentional then so be it. I'd much prefer that than a team being handed (excuse the pun) a European trophy because of the sort of

Thinking of 4, I think that would be the only situation where I'd allow an accidental handball to given as a penalty. If the ball is clearly about to go into the net but for contact with the defender's hand, then even if
    accidental that should be an offence. I'd even go as far as removing the requirement for a penalty in those situations and simply award the attacking team a goal, much like the goal tending rule in basketball.
    I gave a concrete example - player in a free-kick wall, raising his hands, but turning away from the ball, so not 'deliberately' handling it,
    should the shot indeed go off his arms. Would that be OK with you? Because nowhere in your above suggestions would that be forbidden.

Ciao,
    Werner

In that instance the ref would have to watch the replay and make a judgment call as to whether the position of the hand was deliberate. I guess it would depend what position the hands were raised in. If someone turns away from the ball I don't really
    know why their hands would be raised in front of them so I guess I'd call that as deliberate and give the handball, but it depends on the video.

RM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Werner Pichler@21:1/5 to Real Mardin on Mon Jun 12 04:04:37 2023
    On Saturday, June 10, 2023 at 6:54:49 PM UTC+2, Real Mardin wrote:

Ciao,
    Werner

In that instance the ref would have to watch the replay and make a judgment call as to whether the position of the hand was
    deliberate. I guess it would depend what position the hands were raised in. If someone turns away from the ball I don't really
    know why their hands would be raised in front of them

To increase the chances of blocking the ball.

so I guess I'd call that as deliberate and give the handball, but it depends on the video.

So the referee would need to make a judgement call depending on whether he thinks it was a deliberate movement?
    Where's the difference to the rule as it is?

Ciao,
    Werner

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Futbolmetrix@21:1/5 to Werner Pichler on Mon Jun 12 04:16:48 2023
    On Saturday, June 10, 2023 at 11:37:17 AM UTC-4, Werner Pichler wrote:
    On Friday, June 9, 2023 at 4:47:08 PM UTC+2, Futbolmetrix wrote:

I daresay they already are. I do feel that for some reason it's much more often a defender than an attacker that's 'unintentionally' handling a ball in the box.

But that's just part of the dynamics of the game, no? Most of the time an attacker strikes the ball in the direction of the goal, and the defender will generally try to place himself between the ball and the goal. On the other hand, defenders will
    generally try to strike the ball away from the goal and away from the attacker.

Under the current interpretation of the rules, defenders don't benefit at all from flailing their hands around, and in fact are penalized far too often for completely natural movements.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Real Mardin@21:1/5 to Werner Pichler on Mon Jun 12 14:12:29 2023
    On Monday, June 12, 2023 at 12:04:39 PM UTC+1, Werner Pichler wrote:

Ciao,
    Werner

In that instance the ref would have to watch the replay and make a judgment call as to whether the position of the hand was
    deliberate. I guess it would depend what position the hands were raised in. If someone turns away from the ball I don't really
    know why their hands would be raised in front of them
    so I guess I'd call that as deliberate and give the handball, but it depends on the video.
    So the referee would need to make a judgement call depending on whether he thinks it was a deliberate movement?

Ciao,
    Werner

I agree the two rules are similar in so far as the ref has to make a judgement call, but what they're being asked to judge is different. Whether someone deliberately handled the ball is different and I think easier to ascertain than the current test of
    whether the body is an unnatural position, which is almost impossible given that two different people will have different postures, mannerisms, jumping styles etc.

RM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Werner Pichler@21:1/5 to Real Mardin on Tue Jun 13 04:32:51 2023
    On Monday, June 12, 2023 at 11:12:31 PM UTC+2, Real Mardin wrote:

I'm afraid my view is intent needs to be a crucial element of handball calls. Eg, there would be no more accidental
    handball calls. If that entails a referee having to analyse VAR footage for a few minutes to make a judgement as to
    whether a player's body position suggests the handball was intentional then so be it. I'd much prefer that than a team
    being handed (excuse the pun) a European trophy because of the sort of ridiculous decision we saw yesterday.

Thinking of 4, I think that would be the only situation where I'd allow an accidental handball to given as a penalty. If the
    ball is clearly about to go into the net but for contact with the defender's hand, then even if accidental that should be
    an offence. I'd even go as far as removing the requirement for a penalty in those situations and simply award the
    attacking team a goal, much like the goal tending rule in basketball.

I gave a concrete example - player in a free-kick wall, raising his hands, but turning away from the ball, so not
    'deliberately' handling it, should the shot indeed go off his arms. Would that be OK with you? Because nowhere in your
    above suggestions would that be forbidden.

In that instance the ref would have to watch the replay and make a judgment call as to whether the position of the hand
    was deliberate. I guess it would depend what position the hands were raised in. If someone turns away from the ball I
    don't really know why their hands would be raised in front of them.

I agree the two rules are similar in so far as the ref has to make a judgement call, but what they're being asked to judge is
    different. Whether someone deliberately handled the ball is different and I think easier to ascertain than the current test of
    whether the body is an unnatural position, which is almost impossible given that two different people will have different
    postures, mannerisms, jumping styles etc.

I guess that's where we disagree - I see it as a much more difficult, nigh impossible, proposition
    to determine 'intent' rather than 'unnatural position' (although admittedly that's not easy either).

And we still haven't touched the issue of willful negligence - is it really OK to handle the ball if
    I deliberately don't care whether or not I'm handling the ball? You seem to think yes, IFAB (and me)
    definitely think no.

I always like to bring up the very comparable example of the foot rule in field hockey - in
    the FIH rules it says (9.11)

'Field players must not stop, kick, propel, pick up, throw or carry the ball with any part of their body.'

And in the clarifications to this rule:

'It is not always an offence if the ball hits the foot, hand or body of a field player. The player only
    commits an offence if they gain an advantage or if they position themselves with the intention of
    stopping the ball in this way.'

What it boils down to is that it's become part and parcel of any field hockey player to possess
    the skill to not touch the ball with anything except his stick, especially when it travels towards
    goal, and if necessary simply get out of the way, in order to avoid penalty corners, or even penalty
    strokes.

And for large parts, it works that way well, even though field hockey is a much faster sport than
    football. So I really don't think it's too much to ask of professional football defenders either.

Incidentally, when the handball rule was last changed in 2021 IFAB executives explicitly alluded
    to field hockey's foot rule, saying that 'going to the extreme of the hockey foot rule, where any
    time the ball hits the foot it's an offence' would be the only way to stop perceived inconsistencies,
    but also stating that IFAB deliberately didn't want to go there - accepting instead that the price of a
    certain amount of subjective judgement will always remain a problem.

Ciao,
    Werner

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Real Mardin@21:1/5 to Werner Pichler on Tue Jun 13 15:15:21 2023
    On Tuesday, June 13, 2023 at 12:32:53 PM UTC+1, Werner Pichler wrote:

I'm afraid my view is intent needs to be a crucial element of handball calls. Eg, there would be no more accidental
    handball calls. If that entails a referee having to analyse VAR footage for a few minutes to make a judgement as to
    whether a player's body position suggests the handball was intentional then so be it. I'd much prefer that than a team
    being handed (excuse the pun) a European trophy because of the sort of ridiculous decision we saw yesterday.

Thinking of 4, I think that would be the only situation where I'd allow an accidental handball to given as a penalty. If the
    ball is clearly about to go into the net but for contact with the defender's hand, then even if accidental that should be
    an offence. I'd even go as far as removing the requirement for a penalty in those situations and simply award the

I gave a concrete example - player in a free-kick wall, raising his hands, but turning away from the ball, so not
    'deliberately' handling it, should the shot indeed go off his arms. Would that be OK with you? Because nowhere in your

In that instance the ref would have to watch the replay and make a judgment call as to whether the position of the hand
    was deliberate. I guess it would depend what position the hands were raised in. If someone turns away from the ball I

I agree the two rules are similar in so far as the ref has to make a judgement call, but what they're being asked to judge is
    different. Whether someone deliberately handled the ball is different and I think easier to ascertain than the current test of
    whether the body is an unnatural position, which is almost impossible given that two different people will have different
    I guess that's where we disagree - I see it as a much more difficult, nigh impossible, proposition
    to determine 'intent' rather than 'unnatural position' (although admittedly that's not easy either).

And we still haven't touched the issue of willful negligence - is it really OK to handle the ball if
    I deliberately don't care whether or not I'm handling the ball? You seem to think yes, IFAB (and me)
    definitely think no.

I always like to bring up the very comparable example of the foot rule in field hockey - in

'Field players must not stop, kick, propel, pick up, throw or carry the ball with any part of their body.'

'It is not always an offence if the ball hits the foot, hand or body of a field player. The player only
    commits an offence if they gain an advantage or if they position themselves with the intention of

What it boils down to is that it's become part and parcel of any field hockey player to possess
    the skill to not touch the ball with anything except his stick, especially when it travels towards
    goal, and if necessary simply get out of the way, in order to avoid penalty corners, or even penalty
    strokes.

And for large parts, it works that way well, even though field hockey is a much faster sport than
    football. So I really don't think it's too much to ask of professional football defenders either.

Interesting. Is a similar rule workable in football though? Given a football is considerably bigger than a hockey ball and the tendency for the ball to be kicked at a height similar to a player's hand.

RM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Werner Pichler@21:1/5 to Real Mardin on Wed Jun 14 02:29:33 2023
    On Wednesday, June 14, 2023 at 12:15:23 AM UTC+2, Real Mardin wrote:
    On Tuesday, June 13, 2023 at 12:32:53 PM UTC+1, Werner Pichler wrote:

definitely think no.

strokes.

Interesting. Is a similar rule workable in football though? Given a football is considerably bigger than a hockey ball and the
    tendency for the ball to be kicked at a height similar to a player's hand.

It might be? But don't get me wrong - I absolutely agree that that would be excessive and against
    the spirit of the game.

But the underlying main question remains - should a defender be obliged to actively and at all times
    try to avoid handball, even if it interferes with the actions and movements he wants to make in order
    to best defend his net?

Personally I think yes, that should be a necessary skill, and it's what Biraghi did not do against West
    Ham.

Ciao,
    Werner

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05