• Boys in the Boat film trailer

From KC@21:1/5 to All on Thu Oct 19 12:50:45 2023
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfEA-udzjjQ

Going through the brief bits of rowing in that trailer, and it seems we have nothing to look forward to in the area of "good rowing on film" :) At best we might get a "good rowing story, on film."

I'm sure I will enjoy the film, as I'm a huge film nerd, and a huge rowing nerd, and I enjoyed the book. But I'm also sure it'll be an effort to ignore the atrocious rowing by the actors.

Even a few shots from very far away (aerial shots) show some really bad timing. I had hoped that they had a couple crews of skilled "rowing doubles" do do the distance shots at least. The actors generally look like novices a few weeks in to their
    rowing careers. Which is basically what they are, most likely.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Mark Eller@21:1/5 to All on Fri Oct 20 09:53:47 2023
    By the accounts I've seen there are several active and accomplished competitive rowers featured in the cast and background scenes. That said, it's a narrative story not a documentary on rowing technique so I'm not going to focus too much on their rowing
    form.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From KC@21:1/5 to Mark Eller on Wed Oct 25 10:10:25 2023
    On Friday, October 20, 2023 at 9:53:48 AM UTC-7, Mark Eller wrote:
    By the accounts I've seen there are several active and accomplished competitive rowers featured in the cast and background scenes. That said, it's a narrative story not a documentary on rowing technique so I'm not going to focus too much on their
    rowing form.

Yes I've also heard that apparently there are several experienced rowers playing extras in the film; it just looks like none of them made it into the trailer clips. :-)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05