• Maas 24 repair

From Ken Cooperstein@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jan 11 10:12:45 2021
    My Maas 24 sawed through its tie-downs in the last storm and blew off my boat rack. The first three feet of bow are no longer connected to the hull.

Can anyone please recommend a shell repair facility in the northeast good with hi-tech [carbon] materials?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From sully@21:1/5 to cprs...@gmail.com on Mon Jan 18 11:44:35 2021
    On Monday, January 11, 2021 at 10:12:47 AM UTC-8, cprs...@gmail.com wrote:
    My Maas 24 sawed through its tie-downs in the last storm and blew off my boat rack. The first three feet of bow are no longer connected to the hull.

Can anyone please recommend a shell repair facility in the northeast good with hi-tech [carbon] materials?

Van Dusen composites will repair any sort of shell. I'm curious, what do you mean "sawed through it's tiedowns"?

Did the edge of the deck cut through the strap/rope in the wind?

I notice that when people rack their boats outside, they often place them where the boats are centered, such that the rounded decks are each placed on a rack. That would be ok if there were a fitted cradle for it, but most often I see the boat placed
    such that the boat can be rocked side to side.

Ideally, the boat should be placed with a flat part of the boat resting on one of the racks, usually the stern where riggers attached. You can tie the boat down more firmly against that structure, and the boat won't rock in a wind. For the 24,
    there's a nice little saddle to stern of where the riggers fasten down where it's sturdy and flat.

Good luck, your boat will be fine!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Langermann@21:1/5 to sully on Wed Jan 20 08:15:22 2021
    On Monday, January 18, 2021 at 2:44:37 PM UTC-5, sully wrote:
    On Monday, January 11, 2021 at 10:12:47 AM UTC-8, cprs...@gmail.com wrote:

Van Dusen composites will repair any sort of shell. I'm curious, what do you mean "sawed through it's tiedowns"?

Did the edge of the deck cut through the strap/rope in the wind?

I notice that when people rack their boats outside, they often place them where the boats are centered, such that the rounded decks are each placed on a rack. That would be ok if there were a fitted cradle for it, but most often I see the boat placed
    such that the boat can be rocked side to side.

Ideally, the boat should be placed with a flat part of the boat resting on one of the racks, usually the stern where riggers attached. You can tie the boat down more firmly against that structure, and the boat won't rock in a wind. For the 24, there's
    a nice little saddle to stern of where the riggers fasten down where it's sturdy and flat.

Good luck, your boat will be fine!

Timing is everything, and the boatman at Community Rowing in Boston has just started his own business. He was in charge of maintaining and repairing a very large fleet of of boats, did exemplary work, and is extremely well qualified to effect this repair.
    His email address is: carpentermckee@gmail.com
    For those who read this and wonder about his email handle, he is also a cabinet maker and wooden boat expert, a renaissance boatman!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05