• On British Rowing Selection Policy

From Dr. Valery Kleshnev@21:1/5 to All on Tue Dec 29 02:53:13 2020
    Another ground-breaking step by British Rowing

The new British Rowing Selection Policy for 2021–2024 was recently published (https://www.britishrowing.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/British-Rowing-Selection-Policy-2021-2024.pdf ), and I simply could not refrain from expressing my admiration for
    such a delightful document made by the wise and honest people who govern the lives of thousands of British rowers.
    My main impression after reading this document is that it is excellently written and goes to its essence straight away in Section 2: “Subjective nature of selection decisions”, which is without doubt the finest work achieved by British Rowing so far.
    In p2.1, it was elegantly phrased that: “British Rowing does not consider it desirable to select crews based on hard-edged criteria”. Even better, in p2.2: “As such, British Rowing recognises that selection decisions should be made on a subjective
    basis, taking into account a variety of factors.” In essence, there are no “hard-edges” anymore: our athletes just need to “be a fit and proper person to represent British Rowing” (p10.1.15). The most logical next step would be to award medals
    at National regattas based on the subjective unanimous decisions of a selection panel, which would automatically reject those arrogant and selfish enough to follow their own way and pursue their individual goals.
    Consequently, the rowing program must be changed to meet our standards: all singles events must be eliminated, because rowing is a team sport and we have no need for any of the selfish individualists that call themselves “single-scullers”. If they do
    not want to share our team-working approach, they must go to other sports like athletics or swimming. We are already moving in this direction, slowly, but steadily: for many years we have refrained from sending our single-scullers to World regattas of
    various levels. We believe FISA would support our proposal and if not, we will push it through our powerful lobby there.
    We can go further still - why do we even need races, if medals are not related to their results? This year, we already made a decisive step in this direction: we cancelled most races for thousands of British rowers for the whole year. All those
    irresponsible Europeans competed at various National and continental regattas, putting the lives of their athletes and coaches at deadly risk, but we have shown to the whole World the best example of wise team management as a leading nation in the
    development of our sport.
    After we eliminate all the hectic and unpredictable regattas from our life, we won’t need to train for them anymore! Really, what a waste of our time and effort; all those boring miles on the water and on the erg, heavy sweating and pain… Just
    imagine how much time and energy we will have for our youth to take part in teamwork commitments and networking!
    The next step would be the removal of all coaches as a class: we don’t really need any of those overly ambitious people, who are obsessively studying the complicated details of rowing technique, physiology, biomechanics, training planning, etc. After
    all, we already appoint National coaches subjectively without any criteria, so we know much better what we need: just excellent team-players with good knowledge of our policies. This would also be beneficial due to the removal of all those nasty sport
    scientists, who still dare to disturb us with their formulas and charts.
    And finally, without training and coaching, we won’t need rowing clubs anymore: they are just wasted space and expenses, which could be more productively used for the meetings of our selection panels and teamworking worships. Savings on these resources
    would mean that more taxpayers money could flow into the pockets of British Rowing employees, which would allow them to further ‘develop’ our sport.
    I would like to congratulate British Rowing with another brilliant mile-stone document, though it is a pity that the great team-workers who authored it were not able to overcome their modesty to reveal their names. Unfortunately, I cannot conquer my
    arrogance and resist the selfish temptation to put my name under this short note, putting me to shame compared to those excellent anonymous authors from British Rowing.
    Yours faithfully,
    Dr Valery Kleshnev, 29 12 2020

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From carl@21:1/5 to Dr. Valery Kleshnev on Wed Dec 30 14:25:25 2020
    On 29/12/2020 10:53, Dr. Valery Kleshnev wrote:

The new British Rowing Selection Policy for 2021–2024 was recently published (https://www.britishrowing.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/British-Rowing-Selection-Policy-2021-2024.pdf ), and I simply could not refrain from expressing my admiration for
    such a delightful document made by the wise and honest people who govern the lives of thousands of British rowers.
    My main impression after reading this document is that it is excellently written and goes to its essence straight away in Section 2: “Subjective nature of selection decisions”, which is without doubt the finest work achieved by British Rowing so
    far. In p2.1, it was elegantly phrased that: “British Rowing does not consider it desirable to select crews based on hard-edged criteria”. Even better, in p2.2: “As such, British Rowing recognises that selection decisions should be made on a
    subjective basis, taking into account a variety of factors.” In essence, there are no “hard-edges” anymore: our athletes just need to “be a fit and proper person to represent British Rowing” (p10.1.15). The most logical next step would be to
    award medals at National regattas based on the subjective unanimous decisions of a selection panel, which would automatically reject those arrogant and selfish enough to follow their own way and pursue their individual goals.
    Consequently, the rowing program must be changed to meet our standards: all singles events must be eliminated, because rowing is a team sport and we have no need for any of the selfish individualists that call themselves “single-scullers”. If they
    do not want to share our team-working approach, they must go to other sports like athletics or swimming. We are already moving in this direction, slowly, but steadily: for many years we have refrained from sending our single-scullers to World regattas of
    various levels. We believe FISA would support our proposal and if not, we will push it through our powerful lobby there.
    We can go further still - why do we even need races, if medals are not related to their results? This year, we already made a decisive step in this direction: we cancelled most races for thousands of British rowers for the whole year. All those
    irresponsible Europeans competed at various National and continental regattas, putting the lives of their athletes and coaches at deadly risk, but we have shown to the whole World the best example of wise team management as a leading nation in the
    After we eliminate all the hectic and unpredictable regattas from our life, we won’t need to train for them anymore! Really, what a waste of our time and effort; all those boring miles on the water and on the erg, heavy sweating and pain… Just
    imagine how much time and energy we will have for our youth to take part in teamwork commitments and networking!
    The next step would be the removal of all coaches as a class: we don’t really need any of those overly ambitious people, who are obsessively studying the complicated details of rowing technique, physiology, biomechanics, training planning, etc. After
    all, we already appoint National coaches subjectively without any criteria, so we know much better what we need: just excellent team-players with good knowledge of our policies. This would also be beneficial due to the removal of all those nasty sport
    scientists, who still dare to disturb us with their formulas and charts.
    And finally, without training and coaching, we won’t need rowing clubs anymore: they are just wasted space and expenses, which could be more productively used for the meetings of our selection panels and teamworking worships. Savings on these
    resources would mean that more taxpayers money could flow into the pockets of British Rowing employees, which would allow them to further ‘develop’ our sport.
    I would like to congratulate British Rowing with another brilliant mile-stone document, though it is a pity that the great team-workers who authored it were not able to overcome their modesty to reveal their names. Unfortunately, I cannot conquer my
    arrogance and resist the selfish temptation to put my name under this short note, putting me to shame compared to those excellent anonymous authors from British Rowing.
    Yours faithfully,

Hi Valery -

I do like your style!

Are you saying that GBR selection will, in future, depend less upon
    boat-moving performance & more upon how well the athletes get on with
    coaches and selectors?

And, is the science of rowing to take a back seat?

Those would be bold steps indeed - backwards into the long distant past
    when, for instance, points were awarded in women's rowing for style as
    well as for performance. Or to those less distant days of the "coaching
    couch" & (less problematic) of a female team official baring her breasts
    before Roman Catholic priests while changing her kit for a team photo.

In the first line of your final paragraph you may have made a small
    spelling error? Shouldn't that be Mill-stone, not Mile-stone?

Perhaps we don't even need to row? Just preserve the immaculate
    conception that is British Rowing? I guess it will retain its
    witch-hunters - the vindictive persecutors of those who dare to coach
    juniors?

Just asking - for a friend, you understand.

Wishing you, & all, a Happy New 2021 -
    Carl

--
    Carl Douglas Racing Shells -
    Fine Small-Boats/AeRoWing Low-drag Riggers/Advanced Accessories
    Write: Harris Boatyard, Laleham Reach, Chertsey KT16 8RP, UK
    Find: tinyurl.com/2tqujf
    Email: carl@carldouglasrowing.com Tel: +44(0)1932-570946 Fax: -563682
    URLs: carldouglasrowing.com & now on Facebook @ CarlDouglasRacingShells

---
    This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
    https://www.avg.com

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From James HS@21:1/5 to carl on Wed Dec 30 06:55:40 2020
    On Wednesday, 30 December 2020 at 14:25:26 UTC, carl wrote:
    On 29/12/2020 10:53, Dr. Valery Kleshnev wrote:

My main impression after reading this document is that it is excellently written and goes to its essence straight away in Section 2: “Subjective nature of selection decisions”, which is without doubt the finest work achieved by British Rowing so
    far. In p2.1, it was elegantly phrased that: “British Rowing does not consider it desirable to select crews based on hard-edged criteria”. Even better, in p2.2: “As such, British Rowing recognises that selection decisions should be made on a
    subjective basis, taking into account a variety of factors.” In essence, there are no “hard-edges” anymore: our athletes just need to “be a fit and proper person to represent British Rowing” (p10.1.15). The most logical next step would be to
    award medals at National regattas based on the subjective unanimous decisions of a selection panel, which would automatically reject those arrogant and selfish enough to follow their own way and pursue their individual goals.
    Consequently, the rowing program must be changed to meet our standards: all singles events must be eliminated, because rowing is a team sport and we have no need for any of the selfish individualists that call themselves “single-scullers”. If
    they do not want to share our team-working approach, they must go to other sports like athletics or swimming. We are already moving in this direction, slowly, but steadily: for many years we have refrained from sending our single-scullers to World
    regattas of various levels. We believe FISA would support our proposal and if not, we will push it through our powerful lobby there.
    The next step would be the removal of all coaches as a class: we don’t really need any of those overly ambitious people, who are obsessively studying the complicated details of rowing technique, physiology, biomechanics, training planning, etc.
    After all, we already appoint National coaches subjectively without any criteria, so we know much better what we need: just excellent team-players with good knowledge of our policies. This would also be beneficial due to the removal of all those nasty
    sport scientists, who still dare to disturb us with their formulas and charts.
    And finally, without training and coaching, we won’t need rowing clubs anymore: they are just wasted space and expenses, which could be more productively used for the meetings of our selection panels and teamworking worships. Savings on these
    resources would mean that more taxpayers money could flow into the pockets of British Rowing employees, which would allow them to further ‘develop’ our sport.
    Yours faithfully,

Hi Valery -

I do like your style!

Are you saying that GBR selection will, in future, depend less upon boat-moving performance & more upon how well the athletes get on with coaches and selectors?

And, is the science of rowing to take a back seat?

Those would be bold steps indeed - backwards into the long distant past when, for instance, points were awarded in women's rowing for style as
    well as for performance. Or to those less distant days of the "coaching couch" & (less problematic) of a female team official baring her breasts before Roman Catholic priests while changing her kit for a team photo.

In the first line of your final paragraph you may have made a small
    spelling error? Shouldn't that be Mill-stone, not Mile-stone?

Perhaps we don't even need to row? Just preserve the immaculate
    conception that is British Rowing? I guess it will retain its
    witch-hunters - the vindictive persecutors of those who dare to coach juniors?

Just asking - for a friend, you understand.

Wishing you, & all, a Happy New 2021 -
    Carl

--
    Email: ca...@carldouglasrowing.com Tel: +44(0)1932-570946 Fax: -563682

---

To be fair - 11.12 then goes on to state a long list of criteria that should be taken into account - all fairly hard-edged.

I would tend to agree that the top 4 winning pairs in a trial may not be the fastest 8+ and when selecting I would have though that being in the top 6 or 8 pairs at trials would put you in contention for the 8+ (lets say) but that would be subject to the
    11.12 list, and of course - some trials in the 8+ that do have some hard facts wrapped around them.

11.13 is a bit odd in that it states that the coach at the time will set the relative priority of 11.12 - whereas I think you could probably fairly easily tier them into relative importance (quite a bit there is autocratic - leaving no room for maverick
    talent)

I come from the school of thought that it is not always the 8 fastest individuals that make the fastest crew boat, and so if you tie yourself to selecting the 8 fastest (in whatever criterion) you could be excluding the actual fastest crew?

Isn't that the skill of a coach/selection panel - to look beyond the 8 fastest into the 16 fastest and then get the fastest 'crew'.

Or have I missed something?

James

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Gareth Gruenbaum@21:1/5 to All on Wed Dec 30 12:25:29 2020
    Dr Valery Kleshnev

Thank you for this post and bringing the new British Rowing Selection Policy for 2021–2024 to wider attention.

As you so elegantly wrote, the work of wise and honest people, perhaps as wise and honest as your good self?
    You have shown true genius, to be able to extrapolate so precisely the actual purpose and long term objective of BR, namely the elimination of racing and then rowing as a whole.
    I just wish they would hurry up with their dastardly plot, shed their skins and return to their reptile planet.
    Then we can all devote the time we have saved to higher pursuits.
    Personally I am looking forward to studying further the writing of facile opinion pieces that assume nefarious intent, so very popular these days, in contrast to old-fashioned writing that while earnestly considering all angles and the impossibility of
    satisfying all the people, all the time, was just so boring.

Like you, I am a firm believer in a single-minded focus on a single criterion in the selection of the components of a multi-member, dynamic system, such as a crew of rowers.
    So what if during THE selection event, a meteorite should happen to put a small hole in your boat? You and your crew are clearly unsuitable for selection. Either you are a very risky group, who will no doubt cause the same misfortune during a
    championship final, or for the religiously minded, you clearly do not have the support of the gods.

The preposterous idea that attitude or character should factor into such a simple decision as deciding the members of a group that will spend most of their waking time together, for years, in highly stressful and emotional situations is laughable. I
    challenge any learned reader of RSR newsgroup to deny that the careful positioning of 1 arsehole in a group will always result in 110% effort from the group, ensuring they achieve the otherwise unachievable.

While the only BR staff members I know are the boatmen (hi Maurice, hi John [retired]), likewise, I wholeheartedly agree that it is hugely disappointing that a document that is published by an organisation is not signed by all those responsible for its
    production, or at least the person in charge.

What I cannot believe is that it represents the considered willingness of the leadership of that organisation, to publicly disgrace themselves with such an obviously obnoxious policy, especially when the best method for selecting a crew is clear to any
    fool. And that while not signing their names to it, they have the audacity to lurk in plain sight. https://www.britishrowing.org/about-us/
    I trust you will agree with me that the only conclusion is surely that it is crafty plot by the junior staff at BR to embarrass the leadership? Maybe someone should tell them?

Gareth Gruenbaum

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From carl@21:1/5 to Gareth Gruenbaum on Mon Jan 4 15:06:29 2021
    On 30/12/2020 20:25, Gareth Gruenbaum wrote:
    The preposterous idea that attitude or character should factor into such a simple decision as deciding the members of a group that will spend most of their waking time together, for years, in highly stressful and emotional situations is laughable. I
    challenge any learned reader of RSR newsgroup to deny that the careful positioning of 1 arsehole in a group will always result in 110% effort from the group, ensuring they achieve the otherwise unachievable.

No one who has observed crew selection processes over many years and at
    various levels can be unaware that many rowers, even at the highest
    levels, would prefer to row with mates than with other fastest rowers.
    Also, that too often the priorities, in descending order, have been 1)
    to be selected, 2) to reach the final and 3) to win gold.

Seat racing is too easily and too often corrupted in this way

It is the job of the athlete to put in their best possible performance.

It is the job of the selectors to pick the best performers and from them
    to form the crews.

It is the job of the coach and the team management to ensure that mutual antipathy is not allowed to break a crew.

I have known of an individual (not GBR) who was so single-mindedly
    determined to win that he drove the crews in which he rowed to such a
    degree that, after a season with him & despite great results, they could
    not bear to row with him again :-)

However, I did enjoy your parody of Valery's parodic style :) And I do
    think his heart is in the right place.

Cheers -
    Carl

--
    Email: carl@carldouglasrowing.com Tel: +44(0)1932-570946 Fax: -563682

---

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05