• Finish on re-painted sculling blades

From bnwelch@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Mon Aug 2 06:19:48 2021
    The paint on the backside of my blades has worn completely thru, from contact with our dock.
    This may sound like a silly question, but going to ask anyway.
    Is there a preferred finish on sculling blades? Glossy, flat, satin?
    Does it make a difference on front and back sides?
    Thanks in advance...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Matt C@21:1/5 to bnw...@gmail.com on Mon Aug 2 20:13:40 2021
    We've tried a few finishes at our club:
    - The spray can paint is easy to apply, but wears through readily. The spray cans don't always give you a choice of finish, but they are all going to end up looking like a flat finish after a while.
    - A two pack epoxy applied with a spray gun lasts far longer, but not everyone has a spray gun and compressor.
    - We've just started a trial with pre-printed vinyl stick ons. They look terrific. You don't need to be a technical expert to apply them. Expensive, but so far so good.

On Monday, August 2, 2021 at 11:19:49 PM UTC+10, bnw...@gmail.com wrote:
    The paint on the backside of my blades has worn completely thru, from contact with our dock.
    Thanks in advance...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Andy McKenzie@21:1/5 to Matt C on Tue Aug 3 02:26:33 2021
    On Tuesday, 3 August 2021 at 04:13:41 UTC+1, Matt C wrote:
    We've tried a few finishes at our club:
    - The spray can paint is easy to apply, but wears through readily. The spray cans don't always give you a choice of finish, but they are all going to end up looking like a flat finish after a while.
    - A two pack epoxy applied with a spray gun lasts far longer, but not everyone has a spray gun and compressor.
    - We've just started a trial with pre-printed vinyl stick ons. They look terrific. You don't need to be a technical expert to apply them. Expensive, but so far so good.
    On Monday, August 2, 2021 at 11:19:49 PM UTC+10, bnw...@gmail.com wrote:
    Thanks in advance...

Depends on the dock, but I always try and coach people to keep their blades spoon side down when in contact with the dock - doesn't really take any effort and is probably as effective as anything else! Especially good with Concept blades with vortex tips.
    With spray can paint I usually finish the blade off with a clear lacquer spray.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From lindig@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Andy McKenzie on Tue Aug 3 03:32:15 2021
    On Tuesday, August 3, 2021 at 10:26:35 AM UTC+1, Andy McKenzie wrote:

Depends on the dock, but I always try and coach people to keep their blades spoon side down when in contact with the dock - doesn't really take any effort and is probably as effective as anything else! Especially good with Concept blades with vortex
    tips.

But isn't "spoon side down" going to damage the edges instead? I would prefer to wear out the paint on the back versus the edges

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From carl@21:1/5 to lin...@gmail.com on Tue Aug 3 13:08:15 2021
    On 03/08/2021 11:32, lin...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Tuesday, August 3, 2021 at 10:26:35 AM UTC+1, Andy McKenzie wrote:

Depends on the dock, but I always try and coach people to keep their blades spoon side down when in contact with the dock - doesn't really take any effort and is probably as effective as anything else! Especially good with Concept blades with vortex
    tips.

But isn't "spoon side down" going to damage the edges instead? I would prefer to wear out the paint on the back versus the edges

But that depends on the relative merits & protection of the back & lip
    of the blade. Historically, with wooden pencil oars, it was a capital
    offence to lay the back of the blade on the dock or other hard surface,
    while the tip of the blade was protected by a thin brass sheath, wrapped
    over the tip & extending on both faces for about an inch back towards
    the shaft. Later, with the advent of excellent adhesives, this was
    replaced by a hardwood strip laminated onto the face-side of the tip.

I would suggest that both the tip and the back of the blade matter to
    its performance, so one should act to protect any part of that blade
    from abrasion. Its sole purpose is to propel the boat, & it should not
    be used in other ways - except in extremis.

Cheers -
    Carl

--
    Carl Douglas Racing Shells -
    Fine Small-Boats/AeRoWing Low-drag Riggers/Advanced Accessories
    Write: Harris Boatyard, Laleham Reach, Chertsey KT16 8RP, UK
    Find: tinyurl.com/2tqujf
    Email: carl@carldouglasrowing.com Tel: +44(0)1932-570946 Fax: -563682
    URLs: carldouglasrowing.com & now on Facebook @ CarlDouglasRacingShells

---
    This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
    https://www.avg.com

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dick White@21:1/5 to bnw...@gmail.com on Tue Aug 3 12:08:33 2021
    We repainted the blades of 36 of our club oars last year with 2 coats of Interlux Brightside paint. After a year and half of steady use, they are holding up well. We are lucky that I had available to me a commercial spray booth and a large workshop area
    to spread them out to dry. The colored stripes were done by brush, so this paint can be done either spray or brush.

dw

On Monday, August 2, 2021 at 9:19:49 AM UTC-4, bnw...@gmail.com wrote:
    Thanks in advance...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From bnwelch@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Dick White on Tue Aug 3 12:14:58 2021
    On Tuesday, August 3, 2021 at 3:08:34 PM UTC-4, Dick White wrote:
    We repainted the blades of 36 of our club oars last year with 2 coats of Interlux Brightside paint. After a year and half of steady use, they are holding up well. We are lucky that I had available to me a commercial spray booth and a large workshop
    area to spread them out to dry. The colored stripes were done by brush, so this paint can be done either spray or brush.

dw
    On Monday, August 2, 2021 at 9:19:49 AM UTC-4, bnw...@gmail.com wrote:
    Thanks in advance...

Thanks all, lots of helpful information being provided...
    The 2 part question(s) still not fully addressed (maybe I wasn't clear, happens a lot, just ask my wife),
    a) the final finish being flat, satin or gloss, does it make a difference? and b) is there any reason that the back of the blade be a different finish than the front?

Thanks again...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jonny@21:1/5 to All on Tue Aug 3 14:08:33 2021
    The 2 part question(s) still not fully addressed (maybe I wasn't clear, happens a lot, just ask my wife),
    a) the final finish being flat, satin or gloss, does it make a difference? and
    b) is there any reason that the back of the blade be a different finish than the front?

I paint a LOT of oars! I also repair/rebuild a lot of blade tips and also the backs of bladed.

a) the only difference will be in appearance. There is not going to be any performance or wear benefit. A flat finish may look closer to new for longer than a gloss finish, but the fact that it was flat to begin with may be an issue in the eyes of some.

b) The only possible scenario is one where the paint is a different type or applied differently on the back (ie thicker, textured) of the blade to improve abrasion performance.

I'd say that most oars are finished in gloss. Usually only paint, but sometimes with a clear coat on top for an extra layer of protection if you are trying to 'Rolls-Royce' things.

The only way to prevent wear to the paint on the dock is to use some of the methods above, like turning over and letting the protected tips touch the dock (Vortex edge, Croker tip protectors), or to somehow alter the dock (I've seen matting put down -
    even fake grass).

I've toyed with the idea of using a clear stick on film (vinyl) on the back of the oars for a replaceable protection layer, but this is going to either be expensive or a lot of time to do well. You can get some very nice products like "helicopter tape"
    but that isn't cheap.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From bnwelch@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Denis Rabij on Wed Aug 4 10:52:35 2021
    On Wednesday, August 4, 2021 at 1:30:33 PM UTC-4, Denis Rabij wrote:
    That's a good answer, I'd like to add that MAINTENANCE is the name of the game, that is, if you decide on some sort of paint, or film, then it is a good idea to have a maintenance program before any "wear" becomes actual structural damage. Like Jonny
    said, if you decide on a expensive and/or complicated process, that may reduce the need of maintenance, but it is very unlekely you will not have to do some maintenance. In short, he club (or the owner of the scull/oar) has to balance between
    effectiveness and cost/benefit :)
    Em terça-feira, 3 de agosto de 2021 às 18:08:35 UTC-3, Jonny escreveu:
    b) is there any reason that the back of the blade be a different finish than the front?
    I paint a LOT of oars! I also repair/rebuild a lot of blade tips and also the backs of bladed.

a) the only difference will be in appearance. There is not going to be any performance or wear benefit. A flat finish may look closer to new for longer than a gloss finish, but the fact that it was flat to begin with may be an issue in the eyes of
    some.

b) The only possible scenario is one where the paint is a different type or applied differently on the back (ie thicker, textured) of the blade to improve abrasion performance.

I'd say that most oars are finished in gloss. Usually only paint, but sometimes with a clear coat on top for an extra layer of protection if you are trying to 'Rolls-Royce' things.

The only way to prevent wear to the paint on the dock is to use some of the methods above, like turning over and letting the protected tips touch the dock (Vortex edge, Croker tip protectors), or to somehow alter the dock (I've seen matting put down -
    even fake grass).

I've toyed with the idea of using a clear stick on film (vinyl) on the back of the oars for a replaceable protection layer, but this is going to either be expensive or a lot of time to do well. You can get some very nice products like "helicopter
    tape" but that isn't cheap.
    Thanks all...
    I went with a good manual sanding/de-glossing with 180/220 grit, several light coats of Rustoleum primer, light sanding, followed by 3 coats of Rustoleum gloss spray, very light sanding, followed by several coats of Rustoleum clear...single color, no
    details/taping/masking...
    I think they came out great, if I do say so myself <grin>
    Agreed that observation/maintenance is the key to minimizing effort/cost. Easier to lightly sand and clear coat rather than perform the complete cycle as I just did...
    Thanks again!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Denis Rabij@21:1/5 to All on Wed Aug 4 10:30:32 2021
    That's a good answer, I'd like to add that MAINTENANCE is the name of the game, that is, if you decide on some sort of paint, or film, then it is a good idea to have a maintenance program before any "wear" becomes actual structural damage. Like Jonny
    said, if you decide on a expensive and/or complicated process, that may reduce the need of maintenance, but it is very unlekely you will not have to do some maintenance. In short, he club (or the owner of the scull/oar) has to balance between
    effectiveness and cost/benefit :)

Em terça-feira, 3 de agosto de 2021 às 18:08:35 UTC-3, Jonny escreveu:

a) the only difference will be in appearance. There is not going to be any performance or wear benefit. A flat finish may look closer to new for longer than a gloss finish, but the fact that it was flat to begin with may be an issue in the eyes of some.

even fake grass).

I've toyed with the idea of using a clear stick on film (vinyl) on the back of the oars for a replaceable protection layer, but this is going to either be expensive or a lot of time to do well. You can get some very nice products like "helicopter tape"
    but that isn't cheap.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05