and the boat felt really heavy at the catch. I mentioned
    it at a break and bow observed that one of the less experienced
    scullers was driving with her legs before the sculls were fully
    buried.

Since the boat is always slowing down at the instant of the
    catch and if she was pushing without the blades buried,
    it seems to me that the rest of the boat was dealing with
    the boat mass, their own mass plus her mass and her effort
    to accelerate her mass to the bow without the blades buried.

Is this a reasonable explanation for the heaviness of the boat?
    Are there any suggestions for drills to train one not to "shoot
    the slide"? One drill that I think might work is the reverse pick drill
    where you could work on making the catch while still on the recovery.

From the standpoint of the boat, this seems like a useful indicator
    of how the crew is making their catches and provides "instant feedback".
    I'd appreciate some comments on that last thought.

Thanks,

Bob

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Dr. Valery Kleshnev@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jul 3 14:26:43 2021
  • From Andy McKenzie@21:1/5 to val...@biorow.com on Mon Jul 5 08:18:45 2021
    On Saturday, 3 July 2021 at 22:26:44 UTC+1, val...@biorow.com wrote:
    About catch timing: http://www.biorow.com/RBN_en_2015_files/2015RowBiomNews03.pdf http://biorow.com/index.php?route=information/news/news&news_id=47 http://biorow.com/index.php?route=information/news/news&news_id=50
    If I'm stroking a boat with novices and the catch feels heavy my first thought is that I'm beating the other rowers in. Given how novices like to rush this is actually quite rare - so I have to allow that it might mean that by fortuitous coincidence we
    are actually taking the catch together, and I'm so used to be being the last one into the water that it just feels heavy!

It sounds as if your 'shoot the slide' rower might be feeling rushed around the catch - so drills that work on slide control might be beneficial. Single strokes from hands away, ultra slow rates (e.g. 10 strokes a minute), fast hands away to allow the
    slide to be controlled etc. might help.

Andy

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bob Martin@21:1/5 to val...@biorow.com on Mon Jul 5 09:43:23 2021
    On Saturday, July 3, 2021 at 3:26:44 PM UTC-6, val...@biorow.com wrote:
    About catch timing: http://www.biorow.com/RBN_en_2015_files/2015RowBiomNews03.pdf http://biorow.com/index.php?route=information/news/news&news_id=47 http://biorow.com/index.php?route=information/news/news&news_id=50

Thanks for the links. My highest complement - I used color toner in printing them out!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bob Martin@21:1/5 to Andy McKenzie on Mon Jul 5 09:41:24 2021
    On Monday, July 5, 2021 at 9:18:46 AM UTC-6, Andy McKenzie wrote:
    On Saturday, 3 July 2021 at 22:26:44 UTC+1, val...@biorow.com wrote:
    If I'm stroking a boat with novices and the catch feels heavy my first thought is that I'm beating the other rowers in. Given how novices like to rush this is actually quite rare - so I have to allow that it might mean that by fortuitous coincidence we
    are actually taking the catch together, and I'm so used to be being the last one into the water that it just feels heavy!

It sounds as if your 'shoot the slide' rower might be feeling rushed around the catch - so drills that work on slide control might be beneficial. Single strokes from hands away, ultra slow rates (e.g. 10 strokes a minute), fast hands away to allow the
    slide to be controlled etc. might help.

Andy
    Thanks Andy,

There were three relatively experienced rowers in the quad. Bow won in her single in New Zealand when they held World Masters a few years ago. She is also the one who spotted the least experienced rower engaging in the drive before her blade was buried
    (after I whined about the heavy catch).

I have found that when everyone catches together it usually makes the boat seem lighter as opposed to you saying your late catch makes it feel heavy to you. This is why I was hoping for some support for the idea that the person who initiates the drive
    before the blade is locked in forces the rest of the boat to move
    their mass plus the push of their legs on the footstretcher. It is like that drill in an eight where pairs of rowers add in. The boat may be speeding up but the "dead weight"
    mass of the boat also decreases as the pairs add in and the catch gets progressively lighter. Now add in those setting the boat pretending to drive at the catch

, Since I'm looking for on water solutions, thanks for the drills. The ultra slow rates will give rowers time to think
    about how they are making the catch and make adjustments.

I'm also wondering if the feeling of heaviness at the catch might be a sensitive indicator of catch timing that could be easily identified and worked on while on the water.
    I'd appreciate any comments on this.

P.S. As always I may be full of hot air but my ego can stand any necessary adjustments to my views so don't hold back.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From James HS@21:1/5 to Bob Martin on Mon Jul 5 14:29:55 2021
    On Friday, 2 July 2021 at 22:35:01 UTC+1, Bob Martin wrote:
    I'm looking for some advice as well as comments on
    my analysis of a recent row in a quad. I was stroking
    buried.

the slide"? One drill that I think might work is the reverse pick drill where you could work on making the catch while still on the recovery.

of how the crew is making their catches and provides "instant feedback".
    I'd appreciate some comments on that last thought.

Thanks,

Bob

I think there are several things;

You have an observation from one member that another member was not submerging her blades before driving.
    You feel it is heavy.

They might be linked, but there can be a tendency to blame others, so look to solve as a crew.

Some athletes find it strange - but there are disagreements about blade depth. There are some that believe that the blade magically floats at the right height, and others that it should be 1" (at least) under the surface. I like Kleshnev's observations,
    and on a sculling blade put a white tape 400mm above the shoulder of the spoon on the shaft - that, when wet, is the correct spoon depth, in a boat that is properly set up for the weight of athlete. It is easy to see for me as a coach, and for the
    athlete (yes, every now and then look at your blade!

As for the rest, there are so many things - is it the same on both sides (hand crossover) is the rigging facilitating hand heights, should a seat pad be used, how strong is the athlete (some cannot take the load of a properly placed blade because of
    shoulder/back weakness).

Is it timing - lots of timing drills, roll ups, a look at the whole crew - working together, from the outside.

James

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bob Martin@21:1/5 to James HS on Wed Jul 7 07:01:42 2021
    On Monday, July 5, 2021 at 3:29:56 PM UTC-6, James HS wrote:
    buried.

the slide"? One drill that I think might work is the reverse pick drill where you could work on making the catch while still on the recovery.

of how the crew is making their catches and provides "instant feedback". I'd appreciate some comments on that last thought.

Thanks,

Bob

You have an observation from one member that another member was not submerging her blades before driving.
    You feel it is heavy.

They might be linked, but there can be a tendency to blame others, so look to solve as a crew.

Some athletes find it strange - but there are disagreements about blade depth. There are some that believe that the blade magically floats at the right height, and others that it should be 1" (at least) under the surface. I like Kleshnev's observations,
    and on a sculling blade put a white tape 400mm above the shoulder of the spoon on the shaft - that, when wet, is the correct spoon depth, in a boat that is properly set up for the weight of athlete. It is easy to see for me as a coach, and for the
    athlete (yes, every now and then look at your blade!

As for the rest, there are so many things - is it the same on both sides (hand crossover) is the rigging facilitating hand heights, should a seat pad be used, how strong is the athlete (some cannot take the load of a properly placed blade because of
    shoulder/back weakness).

Is it timing - lots of timing drills, roll ups, a look at the whole crew - working together, from the outside.

James
    Thanks to all the people who responded. We went out in a double this AM to work on the problem. First of all you could see the slide and butt move before the load
    was taken by the oars. We worked on the suggested drills including taking the catch with the shoulders. The catch drills helped a lot. Interestingly, the thing
    that seemed to help the most was listening to the sound of the slide at the catch. This was while I was setting the boat. You could hear the wheels rolling
    quickly until the load engaged, Making that sound go away seemed to be the most effective for the rower although the earlier drills and explanations set the stage.
    Another case of feedback to improve ones rowing!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From James HS@21:1/5 to Bob Martin on Wed Jul 7 23:41:37 2021
    On Wednesday, 7 July 2021 at 15:01:43 UTC+1, Bob Martin wrote:
    buried.

of how the crew is making their catches and provides "instant feedback". I'd appreciate some comments on that last thought.

Thanks,

Bob

You feel it is heavy.

Some athletes find it strange - but there are disagreements about blade depth. There are some that believe that the blade magically floats at the right height, and others that it should be 1" (at least) under the surface. I like Kleshnev's
    observations, and on a sculling blade put a white tape 400mm above the shoulder of the spoon on the shaft - that, when wet, is the correct spoon depth, in a boat that is properly set up for the weight of athlete. It is easy to see for me as a coach, and
    for the athlete (yes, every now and then look at your blade!

shoulder/back weakness).

James
    Thanks to all the people who responded. We went out in a double this AM to work on the problem. First of all you could see the slide and butt move before the load
    was taken by the oars. We worked on the suggested drills including taking the catch with the shoulders. The catch drills helped a lot. Interestingly, the thing
    that seemed to help the most was listening to the sound of the slide at the catch. This was while I was setting the boat. You could hear the wheels rolling
    quickly until the load engaged, Making that sound go away seemed to be the most effective for the rower although the earlier drills and explanations set the stage.

Great result!

Often a weak core can result in bum shove - and a weak shoulder blade to breaking the arms.

Always worth core work :)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From carl@21:1/5 to Bob Martin on Thu Jul 8 23:24:28 2021
    On 07/07/2021 15:01, Bob Martin wrote:
    buried.

the slide"? One drill that I think might work is the reverse pick drill
    where you could work on making the catch while still on the recovery.

of how the crew is making their catches and provides "instant feedback". >>> I'd appreciate some comments on that last thought.

Thanks,

Bob

You feel it is heavy.

Some athletes find it strange - but there are disagreements about blade depth. There are some that believe that the blade magically floats at the right height, and others that it should be 1" (at least) under the surface. I like Kleshnev's
    observations, and on a sculling blade put a white tape 400mm above the shoulder of the spoon on the shaft - that, when wet, is the correct spoon depth, in a boat that is properly set up for the weight of athlete. It is easy to see for me as a coach, and
    for the athlete (yes, every now and then look at your blade!

shoulder/back weakness).

James

A point which seems to be missed, particularly for newer rowers, but as
    a result of the constant emphasis on leg-drive as the only way to move a
    boat, is that unless the hands & arms are well-loaded there is no stroke.

Because that key point is so often missed, no wonder that new rowers
    think you take the catch with the slide.

The inconvenient reality is that you take more of the length of your
    stroke with your arms than with eight the legs (slides) or the back (swing).

Rowing began as a fixed-seat activity, involving arms & back with
    relatively static legs providing the necessary reaction force. Sliding
    seats provided a longer stroke arc, better suited to lightweight, longer
    & faster shells since greater speed of action was needed to enable the
    rower to sustain load on the blade & hence to do enough work in the time available. But still the entire force generated must be transmitted to
    the handle of the oar by 3 fingers of each hand, not by your rapidly
    moving rump.

So catches matter & must of necessity begin with those 6 fingers being
    loaded and moving bow-ward. Driving the legs is hardly likely to be the
    best way to make that easy, early, fast & light initial water engagement
    & loading-up.

Cheers -
    Carl

--
    Carl Douglas Racing Shells -
    Fine Small-Boats/AeRoWing Low-drag Riggers/Advanced Accessories
    Write: Harris Boatyard, Laleham Reach, Chertsey KT16 8RP, UK
    Find: tinyurl.com/2tqujf
    Email: carl@carldouglasrowing.com Tel: +44(0)1932-570946 Fax: -563682
    URLs: carldouglasrowing.com & now on Facebook @ CarlDouglasRacingShells

---
    This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
    https://www.avg.com

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05