• History of Silvertip Skydiving

From bigbrittmax@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Jack Rumple on Sun Oct 28 21:50:53 2018
    On Wednesday, June 25, 1997 at 1:00:00 AM UTC-6, Jack Rumple wrote:
    [Available at: http://members.aol.com/zor69/skydive/silverhistory.html]

Short History of Silvertip Skydiving

This was read at the cookout of the anniversary celebration

Welcome to the 40th anniversary of the Silvertip Sky Divers (SSD). The
    oldest Collegiate parachuting club in the world. (That's the club not the members!) I'd like to introduce our special guests, Our Regional Director
    BT Taylor and USPA's Directory of Safety and Training, Glenn Bangs, who recently took George Bush on an AFF Level I skydive. Unfortunately our
    good friend, Silvertip member and the President of USPA, BJ Worth was not able to make it tonight.

First Let me say that it's a great honor and privilege to be asked to give the historical review of our organization.

We owe our roots to the U.S. Forest Service, as does the U.S. Army
    airborne. The smoke jumpers started in 1939, pioneering jumping as a way
    of life. Not to mention elevating drinking to a higher level. Shortly afterwards the U.S. Army asked the smoke jumpers to teach them how to train airborne troops to the same level of survivability.

These then were the same pioneers who realized jumping was just plain fun!
    As crazy as it sounded to sane people, they did it just because they liked it. Well, it got pretty boring around Missoula in the winter with no
    jumping or forest fires (and back then no ski lifts), so they sometimes
    went to school at U of M just to while away the time and stay warm. Oh
    yeah, they got their winter beer money from family and various government agencies with labels on them like "tuition, unemployment, ..." Those are
    two more long standing SSD traditions, upheld by almost all of our past and present members.

As luck would have it, one of them discovered the university would help support sanctioned clubs on campus. Definition: "Beer Money." They had to do two things: 1) attend the university and 2) offer the sport to other university students!!! #1 = were already doing that & #2 = easy, what do
    you have to know to fall out of an airplane??? Afterall, they didn't know very much themselves. All they knew for sure was, you can buy a new main
    and reserve (already packed for umpteen years) for $14 at the local army/navy, and ripcords should be pulled when you see the sky so you don't get opening when you are face to earth. And that was the beginning of our club, founded in the fall of 1958 by "Pete" Errol Harkness and Jeff Davis
    as the MSU Parachute Club. In 1961 it was renamed MSU Silvertip Sky
    Divers. The first "game" jump was in 1959.

Hard to believe but it's true! I know it is because Stanley Oliver Sykes told me so.

In 1966 the SSDs bought their first airplane, 2816A, which was crashed (ground looped I believe) in 1967 by Bob Schuttie in Banff Canada. Is Bob here? I was shocked as to how little info on that subject I found in all
    the past records.

Then in 1967, when I started jumping, we bought our second aircraft 57C.
    This plane was like the brother I never had. I grew up in it both jumping and as an aspiring commercial pilot. We loved and took care of that ship until 1970 when it and three of our dear friends perished in a tragic
    mid-air over Missoula.

This period was also the heyday of Skydiving in Missoula. Not to mention a very exciting time in our sport. Relative Work was born. We went beyond
    the baton pass to building 10 ways. Our Club was on the leading edge of
    all this excitement. Our availability of large A/C was staggering. We had
    a fleet of DC-3s, Twin Beeches, Curtis Wright Travel Airs, a Stagger Wing Beech and a DC-2. We had about 40 active members and trained approximately 100 students per year. We hosted what is believed to be the first 10-way money meet in the early '70s. Jerry Bird and his All-Stars came and gave
    RW seminars to all his competition prior to taking our money. Names like John Ward, Randy Mosely, Bob Murry, Bob Smith, Jim Maxon, Larry Mason, Andy McFarland, Jeff Frangoes, BJ and Sam Worth, Carna Sunbee, Mike Olson, the flying Nardinies, Rich Swinderman, Sherrill Cyr, Liena Larson, Peggy
    Lotten, Alva Simes, Jay and John Andrus, Tara Sales, Ron Bright and way
    more than my dwindling mind can remember. These were potentially exciting times, pioneering times. The most exciting time in my life. They have changed us forever!!!

Then came 11E, the high visibility version of C-180, Lime Green and Puke Yellow. The end of the 70's key folks that ran the club were jailed or
    left the area. The club almost died. After that the club never tried to
    buy another plane, though several of our club members did. I never knew
    who owned the C-45 (let alone how they got the money!). And believe me, there is no word of that business in the old club paperwork.

1980 was the low point. Only about 5 active jumpers when 11E puked the engine, and was sold for scrap. Dave Stewart, Russ Read, Kirk Baker, and
    Rob Hepp started restructuring the Club. Folks like Dan Horton, John Whitcopp, Blain Wright, Hill Billy, Scott Spraycar.

'85 and '86 some of the club members competed on an 8-way intermediate team at the Nationals. BJ and Mirror Image spent a whole day showing them the exit that helped them place first.

During the 80s and 90s Montana Para Sports, and Big Sky Para Sports supply the aircraft and commercial operation, and we all owe a great deal of
    thanks to Gary and Tina Sanders for investing so much into this sport as to allow us to still jump here. The Club is still maintained by the active jumpers for improvements and enhancements to the jumping community.

As Chris Needles wrote in October 1996 Parachutist, people are starting to take up jumping at two different ages, in their 20s, and then there are
    some of us who are taking up the sport for the second time, in their late
    30s and beyond. Well beyond for some of us! Chris alluded to the reason
    for this renewed interest as it's being easier on you physically, easier openings, much easier landings, much more friendly reserves. Building a family, raising kids, "2nd childhood" and better Orthopods as some others I feel he failed to mention.

And in conclusion, I would like to say this is just a very brief history of our club as compiled from searching all the old club files and my own
    failing memory. I know all of you have tons to add to what I've said, and
    I hope all of you spend some time tonight reminding each other of how it
    was and how much fun you had. And above all, I hope you remember how much you have now because of the Silvertip Sky Divers.

--
    Jack Rumple
    mailto:zor69@aol.com
    http://members.aol.com/zor69

Just need to correct the spelling on some names: Jim Maxson, Karna Sundby, Linnea Larson.

Brittany Maxson

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)