• How was your Thanksgiving week running?

From Ed Prochak@21:1/5 to All on Mon Nov 27 08:33:11 2023
    Not much running. I've been having problems with my left foot. Not sure if it is plantar fasciitis. Stiffness but not much pain. I tried to run a little at a fun 5K race. Walked the first 2K with a friend then trotted back for the next 3K. Had some
    swelling and pain the next two days. Iced it for a few hours Saturday evening and the swelling and pain is gone, but still stiff.

I'm going to see about swimming for a while.

Hope you all had a happy Thanksgiving!

Enjoy the run
    Ed

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Tim+@21:1/5 to Ed Prochak on Mon Nov 27 19:46:09 2023
    Ed Prochak <edprochak@gmail.com> wrote:
    Not much running. I've been having problems with my left foot. Not sure
    if it is plantar fasciitis. Stiffness but not much pain. I tried to run
    a little at a fun 5K race. Walked the first 2K with a friend then trotted back for the next 3K. Had some swelling and pain the next two days. Iced
    it for a few hours Saturday evening and the swelling and pain is gone, but still stiff.

I'm going to see about swimming for a while.

Hope you all had a happy Thanksgiving!

Enjoy the run
    Ed

Sorry to hear about the foot woes. Makes me almost feel guilty for my rude health. ;-)

Ran my local parkrun in muddy conditions the weekend before last and was pleased to be only a few second slower despite the mud. Finished 4
    positions higher and “felt” faster so I’m taking it as a win despite the slower time.

On the last Friday of every month there’s a timed 3 km race in a park in Glasgow at lunch time. It attracts some very decent runners but it’s a
    very casual friendly event that collects £2 from every runner for a
    different nominated charity every month. Quite a bit slower than I was back
    in March at 13:06 but I’m looking forward to improving upon it. First MV65 was under 11 minutes!

Went orienteering in the dark on Saturday evening which was fun. Good head torch needed!

Did I ever mention that I did 3 parkruns in North Carolina this year? Took
    a bit of jiggling around with holiday plans to fit them in but I left my
    mark in Carrboro with an age group record which was unbeaten last time I looked. Carrboro is where I spent 8 years of my childhood.

https://www.parkrun.us/umsteadpark/results/agecategoryrecords/

Tim
    --
    Please don't feed the trolls

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From rms@21:1/5 to All on Tue Apr 9 18:27:23 2024
    But I still intend to start training seriously in January for a Half >marathon.
    I may end up walking a good bit, but DNF is not an option!

Hope you two are still running! :) I actually completed a 10hour
    hillclimb challenge (29 x 500ft climb repeats!) last month -- I find this easier on the joints than flat pavement jogging. Also, 'ATG split squats'
    are really helping me in knee stability, also eliminate 'clicking' or
    snapping of ligaments in the knees!

rms

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tim+@21:1/5 to rms on Wed Apr 10 07:19:31 2024
    rms <rsquiresMOO@MOOflashMOO.net> wrote:
    But I still intend to start training seriously in January for a Half
    marathon.

Hope you two are still running! :) I actually completed a 10hour hillclimb challenge (29 x 500ft climb repeats!) last month -- I find this easier on the joints than flat pavement jogging. Also, 'ATG split squats' are really helping me in knee stability, also eliminate 'clicking' or snapping of ligaments in the knees!

rms

Is that 500ft vertical? That’s a lot of climbing! During lockdown I
    climbed 4000 metres on the three steps up to my back door (going down backwards). Quads were in agony for days afterwards. ;-)

Still running sort of although currently have lost my mojo a bit. Was
    supposed to be running a 60 mile ultra this month but my grandson gave me a really stinky cold with scuppered a month of training so I’ve pulled out.
    I think my ultra running days are possibly over (at least until I’m in the V70 age group).

Tim

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tim+@21:1/5 to timdownieuk@yahoo.co.youkay on Wed Apr 10 16:46:03 2024
    Tim+ <timdownieuk@yahoo.co.youkay> wrote:
    rms <rsquiresMOO@MOOflashMOO.net> wrote:
    But I still intend to start training seriously in January for a Half
    marathon.

Hope you two are still running! :) I actually completed a 10hour
    hillclimb challenge (29 x 500ft climb repeats!) last month -- I find this
    easier on the joints than flat pavement jogging. Also, 'ATG split squats' >> are really helping me in knee stability, also eliminate 'clicking' or
    snapping of ligaments in the knees!

rms

Is that 500ft vertical? That’s a lot of climbing! During lockdown I climbed 4000 metres on the three steps up to my back door (going down backwards). Quads were in agony for days afterwards. ;-)

Still running sort of although currently have lost my mojo a bit. Was supposed to be running a 60 mile ultra this month but my grandson gave me a really stinky cold with scuppered a month of training so I’ve pulled out.
    I think my ultra running days are possibly over (at least until I’m in the V70 age group).

Tim

Doh! 4000 ft, not metres! 3000 reps up 45cm of steps. ;-)

Tim

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05