• Medina Twin Sizzler 5k

From Ed Prochak@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jul 12 20:42:38 2017
    Okay you can all laugh at my time at the end, but you have to read the whole report (not long).

So I know I have been losing speed in recent years. Inconsistent training is the cause. My own fault, of course.

So this race was a time check: how slow am I? 8^)

I have done this race many times. In fact I was wearing a shirt from the race from 1997! That year I raced the 5k and ran the 10k as a training run.

Lots of folks lined up! I really focused on not starting too fast which was easy with the crowd. But no worries, this is a chip timed race.

Before the first mile, I started chatting with a younger woman since we were running about the same pace. She was a relatively new runner, doing it for weight loss. She had ambitious plans with a goal of a half marathon in the fall. I will not be
    surprised if she does it.

We encouraged each other until well past mile 2. I knew I had a little more, so I told her I was taking off.

I managed to pass a few runners on the downhill. When I started the rise to the finish I faltered a little, but the runner just ahead of me did too. So I tried harder and caught her at the finish.

I waited for the young woman and she was not that far behind me.

Okay, the results:
    603 of 690 The crowd was bigger than times past.
    chip time 40:46

So this was the slowest race I ever ran.

Okay, go ahead laugh. 8^)

Ed

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Tim+@21:1/5 to Ed Prochak on Fri Jul 14 08:47:46 2017
    Ed Prochak <edprochak@gmail.com> Wrote in message:

So this was the slowest race I ever ran.

Okay, go ahead laugh. 8^)

You've taken the fun out of it now. ;-)

I wouldn't laugh anyway. You were out there doing it, probably in
    a temperature that would kill me.

Well done!

Tim

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)