• training or rather coaching

From Ed Prochak@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jun 22 19:14:46 2017
    So I have gotten two guys at work to start running with me.

the first one has run sporadically with me about a month. He does biking but hasn't been running before this. We run at lunchtime (just before noon or so) Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays. I have him up to over twenty minutes per run.

We did one 30 minute run, but still cannot run the full time. My plan is to stay at this time (20-25 minutes) until we can run the full time without walking breaks. We did try some intervals this Wednesday, but only a few laps to get the idea. This guy
    can go at a decent pace, but not long, yet.

The second guy doesn't want to run at lunch and so we run together Tuesday and Thursday afternoons about 4pm. He is a complete beginner so we are still just at the 10 minute run/walk stage. One problem I have with him is that he runs too fast, so gets
    winded quickly. I need a way to slow him down, so I tried to keep him talking. It didn't totally help, but we'll work through it.

needless to say this is helping to motivate me. With occasional interference from work, I haven't had to run 5 days straight, but since two are very easy (10 minutes), I think I could still handle it.

The extra runs are helping me get to stretch more, which I think is one area that will really pay benefits.

So today was a good day. Spent more time stretching (15 minutes) than running (10). If I ever get my ham string muscles loose again, I think I will get a good bit of speed back.

Enjoy the run.
    ed

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Tim+@21:1/5 to Ed Prochak on Fri Jun 23 07:00:10 2017
    Ed Prochak <edprochak@gmail.com> wrote:

the first one has run sporadically with me about a month. He does biking
    but hasn't been running before this. We run at lunchtime (just before
    noon or so) Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays. I have him up to over twenty minutes per run.

We did one 30 minute run, but still cannot run the full time. My plan is
    to stay at this time (20-25 minutes) until we can run the full time
    without walking breaks. We did try some intervals this Wednesday, but
    only a few laps to get the idea. This guy can go at a decent pace, but not long, yet.

The second guy doesn't want to run at lunch and so we run together
    Tuesday and Thursday afternoons about 4pm. He is a complete beginner so
    we are still just at the 10 minute run/walk stage. One problem I have
    with him is that he runs too fast, so gets winded quickly. I need a way
    to slow him down, so I tried to keep him talking. It didn't totally help,
    but we'll work through it.

needless to say this is helping to motivate me. With occasional
    interference from work, I haven't had to run 5 days straight, but since
    two are very easy (10 minutes), I think I could still handle it.

The extra runs are helping me get to stretch more, which I think is one
    area that will really pay benefits.

So today was a good day. Spent more time stretching (15 minutes) than
    running (10). If I ever get my ham string muscles loose again, I think I
    will get a good bit of speed back.

Enjoy the run.
    ed

Well done on the coaching. Amazing how hard it is to persuade some new
    runners to SLOW DOWN!

I was exactly the same when I started of course. I would shoot out my front door, run Hell for leather for the first 400 yards or so and then have to
    stop gasping. Getting new runners to run at "conversation pace" is
    definitely the way forward when starting.

Tim
    --
    Please don't feed the trolls

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From krishna.dasanudasa@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Ed Prochak on Mon Jun 26 03:32:29 2017
    On Friday, June 23, 2017 at 7:44:48 AM UTC+5:30, Ed Prochak wrote:

the first one has run sporadically with me about a month. He does biking but hasn't been running before this. We run at lunchtime (just before noon or so) Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays. I have him up to over twenty minutes per run.

We did one 30 minute run, but still cannot run the full time. My plan is to stay at this time (20-25 minutes) until we can run the full time without walking breaks. We did try some intervals this Wednesday, but only a few laps to get the idea. This
    guy can go at a decent pace, but not long, yet.

The second guy doesn't want to run at lunch and so we run together Tuesday and Thursday afternoons about 4pm. He is a complete beginner so we are still just at the 10 minute run/walk stage. One problem I have with him is that he runs too fast, so gets
    winded quickly. I need a way to slow him down, so I tried to keep him talking. It didn't totally help, but we'll work through it.

needless to say this is helping to motivate me. With occasional interference from work, I haven't had to run 5 days straight, but since two are very easy (10 minutes), I think I could still handle it.

The extra runs are helping me get to stretch more, which I think is one area that will really pay benefits.

So today was a good day. Spent more time stretching (15 minutes) than running (10). If I ever get my ham string muscles loose again, I think I will get a good bit of speed back.

Enjoy the run.
    ed

Hello guys,

I am very glad to hear that you guys are very much interested in running. Running is one of the finest exercises anyone can easily afford to become healthy and fit but being consistent with your daily run comes as an obstacle as most people lack
    motivation. But here i know this amazing idea called Fimo, it is an android app. This app pays you to walk/jog/run and become fit. Its like you run everyday to become healthy by instantly becoming wealthy. Interesting right? You can download the app from
    goo.gl/DfoZLC

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tim+@21:1/5 to krishna.dasanudasa@gmail.com on Mon Jun 26 12:17:06 2017
    krishna.dasanudasa@gmail.com Wrote in message:
    On Friday, June 23, 2017 at 7:44:48 AM UTC+5:30, Ed Prochak wrote:

We did one 30 minute run, but still cannot run the full time. My plan is to stay at this time (20-25 minutes) until we can run the full time without walking breaks. We did try some intervals this Wednesday, but only a few laps to get the idea. This
    guy can go at a decent pace, but not long, yet.

Enjoy the run.
    ed

Hello guys,

I am very glad to hear that you guys are very much interested in running. Running is one of the finest exercises anyone can easily afford to become healthy and fit but being consistent with your daily run comes as an obstacle as most people lack
    motivation. But here i know this amazing idea called XXXX, it is an android app. This app pays you to walk/jog/run and become fit. Its like you run everyday to become healthy by instantly becoming wealthy. Interesting right? You can download the app from
    XXXX

Welcome to rec.running. shame that the only thing bringing you
    here is an opportunity to spam.

Why not tell us about your running? You know, engage in a bit of
    dialogue?

Tim
    --

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ed Prochak@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jun 30 19:13:33 2017
    We had a very good run today. I got Mark to take it easy at the start and we were able to have negative splits. He only walked once.

Still slow, but getting better!

Enjoy the run!
    Ed

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tim+@21:1/5 to Ed Prochak on Sat Jul 1 13:46:59 2017
    Ed Prochak <edprochak@gmail.com> Wrote in message:
    We had a very good run today. I got Mark to take it easy at the start and we were able to have negative splits. He only walked once.

Yay! Next milestone, no walking!

Still slow, but getting better!

Great job.

Tim

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05