• Cedar Point

From DJ Wiza@21:1/5 to surfd...@aol.com on Wed Jun 2 11:16:01 2021
    On Sunday, May 30, 2021 at 6:23:21 PM UTC-7, surfd...@aol.com wrote:
    I’m not a big fan of RMC,

SACRILEGE!

Then again, I think Beast is the most overrated coaster in the world, which I'm sure some people would call sacrilegious.

I also rode one way on the Skyride. It’s crazy how short it is compared to the whole park.

Years ago, it used to go all the way to Frontier Town. The building is still there, between Skyhawk and CCMR, but has been repurposed as bathrooms and storage.

-DJ

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From TheK-ManRocks@21:1/5 to surfd...@aol.com on Wed Jun 2 17:19:37 2021
    On Sunday, May 30, 2021 at 9:23:21 PM UTC-4, surfd...@aol.com wrote:
    I visited Cedar Point recently for the first time in 14 years. Here are my thoughts:

Stayed at Breakers for the first time. The hotel is very nice! The boardwalk is awesome and it’s nice to be able to walk around just outside the park. Early entry was very helpful in getting some extra rides in.

Did 2 rides on Maverick for early entry and then got on line for Steel Vengeance, which I wanted to get on before the long lines began, which I had heard about. Got on in about 10 minutes. The locker system works great, it’s just like at
    VelociCoaster, where you can take small items through the line then leave them in free lockers just before you get to the station. You then get the items from the opposite side of the locker afterwards. The ride itself is decent. I rode in row 6 (of 12),
    which wasn’t ideal. I did ride again just before closing with no wait, asked for row 11 and it was much better. I’m not a big fan of RMC, but this was decent. The small hills just before the lift and the last bunny hops at the end of the ride were
    the best. This coaster was coaster credit 500 for me, which was a long time coming, took almost 11 years to go from 400 to 500. They closed the line early so that the last ride cycle was just before closing (which was 8pm). As far as Maverick, it’s
    still my favorite coaster in the park, got 2 rides for early entry, and then one toward the end of the day just before my last ride on Steel Vengeance. It’s a great ride that just keeps going nonstop. The last time I was at Cedar Point (during
    Coastermania 2007), Maverick was only weeks old.

Magnum XL-200 - gave it a courtesy ride and while the ending is really good, still not a big fan of the ride.

Valravn - waited about 1 hour 45 minutes. Surprised it doesn’t have a dual loading station like Sheikra does. Not a huge fan of dive coasters, but this one had some decent inversions. One strange thing I noticed - when released from the set of brakes
    to roll into the station, it gains some decent speed and then has a pretty short stop. Coaster credit 501 for me.

Wicked Twister - easily my second favorite coaster at CP after Maverick. So much fun! I’m sad to see that the impulse coasters are starting to fade away. Got 2 rides on this.

Gatekeeper - this was the last coaster here that was new to me (credit 502). The ride was down when I went over to ride it, but I waited it out a little, and luckily, it came back up shortly and only had to wait like 2 trains. Got on the right hand
    side of the track. This was pretty good, had some scary turns off the lift hill and the “keyhole” affects were great. A really good ride, would like to have ridden again, but as a long lost shirt I bought on my first visit in 1997 said, “so many
    rides, so little time”. This was my 3rd b&m wing coaster, and I have to say I enjoy it as a launch coaster (Thunderbird) most over this and Wild Eagle at Dollywood.

Raptor - still a decent ride but nothing compared to Batman and Montu. Got to ride in the front.

Blue Streak - Had way more fun on this than I expected! I don’t know if it’s because I didn’t have other wood coasters to compare it to this trip (since it wasn’t a multi park trip to Kings Island, Geauga Lake, etc.), or what, but the ride was
    pretty awesome. I never got the hype for Blue Streak, but really enjoyed my one ride this visit on this, and I wasn’t even assigned the back car (my car of choice on any wood coaster). Probably my 3rd or 4th favorite coaster at the park after this trip.

Cedar Downs was fun as usual, tame compared to the Derby at Playland which I rode every few years. It was good that CD still has the “racing” back and forth feature working. Glad they keep this. I also rode one way on the Skyride. It’s crazy how
    short it is compared to the whole park.

Corkscrew was fun. Actually asked to change my assigned row to the second to last row since there was no one else behind me on line. Gives a good ride. Iron Dragon was decent. Other than Big Bad Wolf, all the arrow suspended coasters are about even for
    me. Gemini was awesome as usual. Definitely one of my favorite coasters at the park. No wait both times and I could actually choose my row! Cedar Creek Mine Ride was tight but fun. No wait on that one nearly an hour before closing before I did my last
    rides on Maverick and Steel Vengeance.

Rougarou was interesting. I rode it as Mantis years ago, and this was pretty bumpy as far as headbanging with a lot of the transitions. I don’t remember if it was that bad as Mantis as far as headbanging. This and Valravn I’ll likely skip if I ever
    get back here anytime soon.

I skipped Millennium Force and Top Thrill Dragster in favor of getting on most of the Arrow coasters and another ride on Maverick. I wanted to ride the train, but time didn’t allow for it. Snake River Expedition wasn’t going to open until the
    following week.

For food, I got the chicken strips at Coasters. Several food locations were not yet open for the season. Waited about 15 minutes for a late lunch at Coasters. Was decent. Got the free drink wristband (for staying at Breakers) there and got a refill
    later in the day with no line. Ate dinner after closing at TGI Fridays at Breakers.

The park has some decent souvenirs, many throwback items for the 150th which was last year. I just got a souvenir map. Would have liked to have gotten a Cedar Point jacket with zipper pockets, but the store was closed when I went back. Hoping Kings
    Island might have a similar item when I go later this summer.

The main thing I didn’t care for at the park was the assigned seating on most of the coasters. Operations was pretty good otherwise. After hearing horror stories about opening weekend, everything seemed pretty normal and what I was expecting when I
    went. All the rides were open, some food locations weren’t, but no ridiculous lines for no reason anywhere really. I wanted to try one or two of the food items at the food festival, but the minimum purchase was 8 tickets and each item was 2 tickets.

I had a pretty great time at the park and hope I don’t have to wait another 14 years to return!
    ________

Too bad you didn't get a long term prognosis on Millennium Force.

As for the cable cars, when they were built, they extended the full length

of the park at that time. The park grew beyond that over the decades.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Boblogone@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jun 3 04:44:56 2021
    Years ago, it used to go all the way to Frontier Town. The building is still there, between Skyhawk and CCMR, but has been repurposed as bathrooms and storage.<

Separate rides. The main midway Skyride is just as it always has been. The Frontier Lift's other station is now Iron Dragon's station.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From surfdancec@aol.com@21:1/5 to TheK-ManRocks on Thu Jun 3 07:06:01 2021
    On Wednesday, June 2, 2021 at 8:19:38 PM UTC-4, TheK-ManRocks wrote:

Too bad you didn't get a long term prognosis on Millennium Force.

As for the cable cars, when they were built, they extended the full length

of the park at that time. The park grew beyond that over the decades.

I would’ve liked to go on Millennium Force, but time was starting run out, and wanted to get a lot of those other rides in, and the line for Millennium Force was pretty long, it was either one ride on MF and not time for much else, or get all those
    other rides in instead. As was TTD’s. My next visit, whenever that may be, I’ll definitely skip Valravn and probably Rougarou as well. I’d probably do 2 days if I go this long in between visits, this was a visit that had to be done in one day
    though.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From surfdancec@aol.com@21:1/5 to DJ Wiza on Thu Jun 3 07:07:28 2021
    On Wednesday, June 2, 2021 at 2:16:03 PM UTC-4, DJ Wiza wrote:
    SACRILEGE!

Then again, I think Beast is the most overrated coaster in the world, which I'm sure some people would call sacrilegious.
    I also rode one way on the Skyride. It’s crazy how short it is compared to the whole park.
    Years ago, it used to go all the way to Frontier Town. The building is still there, between Skyhawk and CCMR, but has been repurposed as bathrooms and storage.

-DJ

Sorry, RMC coasters just don’t do it for me. Don’t know why. Been on 4 so far. Lightning Rod, Wicked Cyclone and Storm Chaser being the others.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Marshall@21:1/5 to surfd...@aol.com on Thu Jun 3 07:12:20 2021
    On Thursday, June 3, 2021 at 10:01:32 AM UTC-4, surfd...@aol.com wrote:
    Wow, didn’t know CP had 2 skyrides. When did it close? My first visit was 1997.
    It closed for Iron Dragon. I dont remember if thats when the paddleboat left also or when they just cut the center island in half to allow a pass thru and it was MF that killed the boat.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From surfdancec@aol.com@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jun 3 07:01:30 2021
    Wow, didn’t know CP had 2 skyrides. When did it close? My first visit was 1997.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From DJ Wiza@21:1/5 to surfd...@aol.com on Thu Jun 3 14:38:34 2021
    On Thursday, June 3, 2021 at 7:07:29 AM UTC-7, surfd...@aol.com wrote:
    SACRILEGE!

-DJ
    Sorry, RMC coasters just don’t do it for me. Don’t know why. Been on 4 so far. Lightning Rod, Wicked Cyclone and Storm Chaser being the others.

Different strokes for different folks. I love how rapidly RMCs twist, turn, and change direction. I love the use of reverse-banked turns that are guaranteed ejector air, even if the park decides to add a trim brake later. The way they'll quickly roll
    over and then roll back feels like the ride is throwing me into the air and then catching me. SteVe instantly became my #1 favorite coaster after I rode it. Like...there was no contest to it at all. It's one of the few rides where the second half is
    even more intense than the first.

-DJ

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Marshall@21:1/5 to DJ Wiza on Fri Jun 4 04:48:34 2021
    On Thursday, June 3, 2021 at 5:38:35 PM UTC-4, DJ Wiza wrote:
    SACRILEGE!

-DJ
    Different strokes for different folks. I love how rapidly RMCs twist, turn, and change direction. I love the use of reverse-banked turns that are guaranteed ejector air, even if the park decides to add a trim brake later. The way they'll quickly roll
    over and then roll back feels like the ride is throwing me into the air and then catching me. SteVe instantly became my #1 favorite coaster after I rode it. Like...there was no contest to it at all. It's one of the few rides where the second half is even
    more intense than the first.

-DJ

The problem with RMC is that the number of fantastic elements is counterbalanced by the number of insanely stupid ones. Who's bright idea was it to put a trick-track element on top of an airtime hill on Stormchaser? Lets lift the rider off the seat and
    then slam the side of the train into their ribs! Brilliant!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Surf Dance Chris@21:1/5 to Marshall on Fri Jun 4 17:57:32 2021
    On Friday, June 4, 2021 at 7:48:35 AM UTC-4, Marshall wrote:
    SACRILEGE!

-DJ
    over and then roll back feels like the ride is throwing me into the air and then catching me. SteVe instantly became my #1 favorite coaster after I rode it. Like...there was no contest to it at all. It's one of the few rides where the second half is even

-DJ
    The problem with RMC is that the number of fantastic elements is counterbalanced by the number of insanely stupid ones. Who's bright idea was it to put a trick-track element on top of an airtime hill on Stormchaser? Lets lift the rider off the seat and

Hmmm now that you mention it, that might at least be partially why I’m not a big fan.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From DJ Wiza@21:1/5 to Marshall on Sat Jun 5 10:27:08 2021
    On Friday, June 4, 2021 at 4:48:35 AM UTC-7, Marshall wrote:
    SACRILEGE!

-DJ

-DJ

Ah, I haven't ridden Stormchaser. Steel Vengeance is the only RMC I've ridden so far, and I don't think it had any rib-slamming moments.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05