• TR: Cedar Point

From surfdancec@aol.com@21:1/5 to All on Sun May 30 18:14:40 2021
    I visited Cedar Point recently for the first time in 14 years. Here are my thoughts:

Stayed at Breakers for the first time. The hotel is very nice! The boardwalk is awesome and it’s nice to be able to walk around just outside the park. Early entry was very helpful in getting some extra rides in.

Did 2 rides on Maverick for early entry and then got on line for Steel Vengeance, which I wanted to get on before the long lines began, which I had heard about. Got on in about 10 minutes. The locker system works great, it’s just like at VelociCoaster,
    where you can take small items through the line then leave them in free lockers just before you get to the station. You then get the items from the opposite side of the locker afterwards. The ride itself is decent. I rode in row 6 (of 12), which wasn’
    t ideal. I did ride again just before closing with no wait, asked for row 11 and it was much better. I’m not a big fan of RMC, but this was decent. It was also coaster credit 500 for me, which was a long time coming, took almost 11 years to go from 400
    to 500. They closed the line early so that the last ride cycle was just before closing (8pm). As far as Maverick, it’s still my favorite coaster in the park, got 2 rides for early entry, and then one toward the end of the day just before my last ride
    on Steel Vengeance. It’s a great ride that just keeps going nonstop. The last time I was at Cedar Point (during Coastermania 2007),Maverick was only weeks old.

Magnum XL-200 - gave it a courtesy ride and while the ending is really good, still not a big fan of the ride.

Valravn - waited about 1 hour 45 minutes. Surprised it doesn’t have a dual loading station like Sheikra does. Not a huge fan of dive coasters, but this one had some decent inversions. One strange thing I noticed - when released from the set of brakes
    to roll into the station, it gains some decent speed and then has a pretty short stop. Coaster credit 501 for me.

Wicked Twister - easily my second favorite coaster at CP after Maverick. So much fun! I’m sad to see that the impulse coasters are starting to fade away. Got 2 rides on this.

Gatekeeper - this was the last coaster here that was new to me (credit 502). The ride was down when I went over to ride it, but I waited it out a little, and luckily, it came back up shortly and only had to wait like 2 trains. Got on the right hand side
    of the track. This was pretty good, had some scary turns off the lift hill and the “keyhole” affects were great. A really good ride, would like to have ridden again, but as a long lost shirt I bought on my first visit in 1997 said, “so many rides,
    so little time”. This was my 3rd b&m wing coaster, and I have to say I enjoy it as a launch coaster (Thunderbird) most over this and Wild Eagle at Dollywood.

Raptor - still a decent ride but nothing compared to Batman and Montu. Got to ride in the front.

Blue Streak - Had way more fun on this than I expected! I don’t know if it’s because I didn’t have other wood coasters to compare it to this trip (since it wasn’t a multi park trip to Kings Island, Geauga Lake, etc.), or what, but the ride was
    pretty awesome. I never got the hype for Blue Streak, but really enjoyed my one ride this visit on this, and I wasn’t even assigned the back car (my car of choice on any wood coaster). Probably my 3rd or 4th favorite coaster at the park after this trip.

Cedar Downs was fun as usual, tame compared to the Derby at Playland which I rode every few years. It was good that CD still has the “racing” back and forth feature working. Glad they keep this. I also rode one way on the Skyride. It’s crazy how
    short it is compared to the whole park.

Corkscrew was fun. Actually asked to change my assigned row to the second to last row since there was no one else behind me on line. Gives a good ride. Iron Dragon was decent. Other than Big Bad Wolf, all the arrow suspended coasters are about even for
    me. Gemini was awesome as usual. Definitely one of my favorite coasters at the park. No wait both times and I could actually choose my row! Cedar Creek Mine Ride was tight but fun. No wait on that one nearly an hour before closing before I did my last
    rides on Maverick and Steel Vengeance.

Rougarou was interesting. I rode it as Mantis years ago, and this was pretty bumpy as far as headbanging with a lot of the transitions. I don’t remember if it was that bad as Mantis as far as headbanging. This and Valravn I’ll likely skip if I ever
    get back here anytime soon.

I skipped Millennium Force and Top Thrill Dragster in favor of getting on most of the Arrow coasters and another ride on Maverick. I wanted to ride the train, but time didn’t allow for it. Snake River Expedition wasn’t going to open until the
    following week.

For food, I got the chicken strips at Coasters. Several food locations were not yet open for the season. Waited about 15 minutes for a late lunch at Coasters. Was decent. Got the free drink wristband (for staying at Breakers) there and got a refill later
    in the day with no line. Ate dinner after closing at TGI Fridays at Breakers.

The park has some decent souvenirs, many throwback items for the 150th which was last year. I just got a souvenir map. Would have liked to have gotten a Cedar Point jacket with zipper pockets, but the store was closed when I went back. Hoping Kings
    Island might have a similar item when I go later this summer.

The main thing I didn’t care for at the park was the assigned seating on most of the coasters. Operations was pretty good otherwise. After hearing horror stories about opening weekend, everything seemed pretty normal and what I was expecting when I
    went. All the rides were open, some food locations weren’t, but no ridiculous lines for no reason anywhere really. I wanted to try one or two of the food items at the food festival, but the minimum purchase was 8 tickets and each item was 2 tickets.

I had a pretty great time at the park and hope I don’t have to wait another 14 years to return!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From surfdancec@aol.com@21:1/5 to All on Sun May 30 18:23:20 2021
    I visited Cedar Point recently for the first time in 14 years. Here are my thoughts:

Stayed at Breakers for the first time. The hotel is very nice! The boardwalk is awesome and it’s nice to be able to walk around just outside the park. Early entry was very helpful in getting some extra rides in.

Did 2 rides on Maverick for early entry and then got on line for Steel Vengeance, which I wanted to get on before the long lines began, which I had heard about. Got on in about 10 minutes. The locker system works great, it’s just like at VelociCoaster,
    where you can take small items through the line then leave them in free lockers just before you get to the station. You then get the items from the opposite side of the locker afterwards. The ride itself is decent. I rode in row 6 (of 12), which wasn’t
    ideal. I did ride again just before closing with no wait, asked for row 11 and it was much better. I’m not a big fan of RMC, but this was decent. The small hills just before the lift and the last bunny hops at the end of the ride were the best. This
    coaster was coaster credit 500 for me, which was a long time coming, took almost 11 years to go from 400 to 500. They closed the line early so that the last ride cycle was just before closing (which was 8pm). As far as Maverick, it’s still my favorite
    coaster in the park, got 2 rides for early entry, and then one toward the end of the day just before my last ride on Steel Vengeance. It’s a great ride that just keeps going nonstop. The last time I was at Cedar Point (during Coastermania 2007),
    Maverick was only weeks old.

Magnum XL-200 - gave it a courtesy ride and while the ending is really good, still not a big fan of the ride.

Valravn - waited about 1 hour 45 minutes. Surprised it doesn’t have a dual loading station like Sheikra does. Not a huge fan of dive coasters, but this one had some decent inversions. One strange thing I noticed - when released from the set of brakes
    to roll into the station, it gains some decent speed and then has a pretty short stop. Coaster credit 501 for me.

Wicked Twister - easily my second favorite coaster at CP after Maverick. So much fun! I’m sad to see that the impulse coasters are starting to fade away. Got 2 rides on this.

Gatekeeper - this was the last coaster here that was new to me (credit 502). The ride was down when I went over to ride it, but I waited it out a little, and luckily, it came back up shortly and only had to wait like 2 trains. Got on the right hand side
    of the track. This was pretty good, had some scary turns off the lift hill and the “keyhole” affects were great. A really good ride, would like to have ridden again, but as a long lost shirt I bought on my first visit in 1997 said, “so many rides,
    so little time”. This was my 3rd b&m wing coaster, and I have to say I enjoy it as a launch coaster (Thunderbird) most over this and Wild Eagle at Dollywood.

Raptor - still a decent ride but nothing compared to Batman and Montu. Got to ride in the front.

Blue Streak - Had way more fun on this than I expected! I don’t know if it’s because I didn’t have other wood coasters to compare it to this trip (since it wasn’t a multi park trip to Kings Island, Geauga Lake, etc.), or what, but the ride was
    pretty awesome. I never got the hype for Blue Streak, but really enjoyed my one ride this visit on this, and I wasn’t even assigned the back car (my car of choice on any wood coaster). Probably my 3rd or 4th favorite coaster at the park after this trip.

Cedar Downs was fun as usual, tame compared to the Derby at Playland which I rode every few years. It was good that CD still has the “racing” back and forth feature working. Glad they keep this. I also rode one way on the Skyride. It’s crazy how
    short it is compared to the whole park.

Corkscrew was fun. Actually asked to change my assigned row to the second to last row since there was no one else behind me on line. Gives a good ride. Iron Dragon was decent. Other than Big Bad Wolf, all the arrow suspended coasters are about even for
    me. Gemini was awesome as usual. Definitely one of my favorite coasters at the park. No wait both times and I could actually choose my row! Cedar Creek Mine Ride was tight but fun. No wait on that one nearly an hour before closing before I did my last
    rides on Maverick and Steel Vengeance.

Rougarou was interesting. I rode it as Mantis years ago, and this was pretty bumpy as far as headbanging with a lot of the transitions. I don’t remember if it was that bad as Mantis as far as headbanging. This and Valravn I’ll likely skip if I ever
    get back here anytime soon.

I skipped Millennium Force and Top Thrill Dragster in favor of getting on most of the Arrow coasters and another ride on Maverick. I wanted to ride the train, but time didn’t allow for it. Snake River Expedition wasn’t going to open until the
    following week.

For food, I got the chicken strips at Coasters. Several food locations were not yet open for the season. Waited about 15 minutes for a late lunch at Coasters. Was decent. Got the free drink wristband (for staying at Breakers) there and got a refill later
    in the day with no line. Ate dinner after closing at TGI Fridays at Breakers.

The park has some decent souvenirs, many throwback items for the 150th which was last year. I just got a souvenir map. Would have liked to have gotten a Cedar Point jacket with zipper pockets, but the store was closed when I went back. Hoping Kings
    Island might have a similar item when I go later this summer.

The main thing I didn’t care for at the park was the assigned seating on most of the coasters. Operations was pretty good otherwise. After hearing horror stories about opening weekend, everything seemed pretty normal and what I was expecting when I
    went. All the rides were open, some food locations weren’t, but no ridiculous lines for no reason anywhere really. I wanted to try one or two of the food items at the food festival, but the minimum purchase was 8 tickets and each item was 2 tickets.

I had a pretty great time at the park and hope I don’t have to wait another 14 years to return!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Heather Kendrick@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jun 5 14:19:00 2021
    On May 30, 2021, surfd...@aol.com wrote
    (in article<3cbab706-dfaa-4ab1-94d3-a5004b38daa6n@googlegroups.com>):

Wicked Twister - easily my second favorite coaster at CP after Maverick. So much fun! Im sad to see that the impulse coasters are starting to
    fade
    away. Got 2 rides on this.

Our tastes sure do differ. Wicked Twister is the one coaster at CP that I
    ride once a season just to be a completist and then Im relieved not to
    have to do it again. Shuttle coasters make me sick, is the trouble, and the thing that REALLY makes me sick is anytime I decelerate rapidly while going
    in reverse. So its really not meant to be between me and Wicked
    Twister.

Cedar Downs was fun as usual, tame compared to the Derby at Playland

One of my petty annoyances as a carousel person is listening to people going
    on about how crazy fast Cedar Downs supposedly is. Its run way too slow
    and in fact I am pretty sure that the non-derby carousel at Crossroads
    Village (Flint, Michigan) runs about as fast as Cedar Downs. Thats just
    how fast regular carousels used to run. Now CP's racing derby runs as fast as
    a carousel and their other carousels run as fast as a sleepy snail. ... OK,
    Im done.
    Thanks for the trip report. We (husband and I) havent decided to start
    doing amusement parks again yet but we likely will this summer. I havent
    been to a park since going to Vortexs farewell day in October 2019, and
    Ive been sitting on a Cedar Fair Platinum Pass all this time. I bought a commemorative brick and havent seen it yet!

--
    Heather, the Carousel Rabbit

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Surf Dance Chris@21:1/5 to Heather Kendrick on Sat Jun 5 19:44:55 2021
    On Saturday, June 5, 2021 at 2:19:02 PM UTC-4, Heather Kendrick wrote:
    (in article<3cbab706-dfaa-4ab1...@googlegroups.com>):

Wicked Twister - easily my second favorite coaster at CP after Maverick. So
    much fun! I´m sad to see that the impulse coasters are starting to
    fade
    Our tastes sure do differ. Wicked Twister is the one coaster at CP that I ride once a season just to be a completist and then I´m relieved not to have to do it again. Shuttle coasters make me sick, is the trouble, and the thing that REALLY makes me sick is anytime I decelerate rapidly while going in reverse. So it´s really not meant to be between me and Wicked
    Twister.

One of my petty annoyances as a carousel person is listening to people going on about how crazy fast Cedar Downs supposedly is. It´s run way too slow and in fact I am pretty sure that the non-derby carousel at Crossroads Village (Flint, Michigan) runs about as fast as Cedar Downs. That´s just how fast regular carousels used to run. Now CP's racing derby runs as fast as
    a carousel and their other carousels run as fast as a sleepy snail. ... OK, I´m done.
    Thanks for the trip report. We (husband and I) haven´t decided to start doing amusement parks again yet but we likely will this summer. I haven´t been to a park since going to Vortex´s farewell day in October 2019, and I´ve been sitting on a Cedar Fair Platinum Pass all this time. I bought a commemorative brick and haven´t seen it yet!

--

The sign at Cedar Downs says it goes 14.5 mph. How fast does Rye’s claim to go? At Playland, they make all the riders put their left foot on the bottom rung and right foot on the top rung. Cedar Point doesn’t make its riders do that. I did anyway,
    because I’m used to Playland, but never during the ride at CP felt like I needed to (on Playland’s it definitely feels like it’s needed). CP also only had one operator doing everything at the ride, while Playland employs several operators on theirs
    every time I’ve ever been there. While still more fun (to me) than a typical merry go round, it’s definitely not quite as fun as Playland’s is. Still a must ride every ride at CP to me, kinda surprising they still have it. How does Blackpool’s
    compare?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dave Althoff, Jr.@21:1/5 to Heather Kendrick on Wed Jun 9 19:07:04 2021
    Heather Kendrick <bunnyhugger@ameritech.net> wrote:
    : On May 30, 2021, surfd...@aol.com wrote
    : >
    : > Cedar Downs was fun as usual, tame compared to the Derby at Playland
    :
    : One of my petty annoyances as a carousel person is listening to people going : on about how crazy fast Cedar Downs supposedly is. It?s run way too slow
    : and in fact I am pretty sure that the non-derby carousel at Crossroads
    : Village (Flint, Michigan) runs about as fast as Cedar Downs. That?s just
    : how fast regular carousels used to run. Now CP's racing derby runs as fast as : a carousel and their other carousels run as fast as a sleepy snail. ... OK,
    : I?m done.

The Cedar Downs Racing Derby is supposed to run at 4.25 RPM

It just so happens that Cedar Point's Midway Carousel runs at...4.25 RPM.

The secret, of course, is that the Midway Carousel would fit into the Cedar Downs infield, probably with room to spare.

--Dave Althoff, Jr.
    /X\ _ *** Respect rides. They do not respect you. ***
    /XXX\ /X\ /X\_ _ /X\__ _ _ _____
    /XXXXX\ /XXX\ /XXXX\_ /X\ /XXXXX\ /X\ /X\ /XXXXX _/XXXXXXX\__/XXXXX\/XXXXXXXX\_/XXX\_/XXXXXXX\__/XXX\_/XXX\_/\_/XXXXXX
    NEW! When emailing this account, include the 'canonical magic word' in
    the body of your message for a quicker response.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Boblogone@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jun 10 04:06:41 2021
    Forgot or didn't get around to Cedar Downs this Coaster Mania.

What RPM does it seem to be running at these days?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From TheK-ManRocks@21:1/5 to surfd...@aol.com on Thu Jun 10 14:12:43 2021
    On Saturday, June 5, 2021 at 10:44:56 PM UTC-4, surfd...@aol.com wrote:
    On Saturday, June 5, 2021 at 2:19:02 PM UTC-4, Heather Kendrick wrote:
    (in article<3cbab706-dfaa-4ab1...@googlegroups.com>):

Wicked Twister - easily my second favorite coaster at CP after Maverick. So
    much fun! I´m sad to see that the impulse coasters are starting to
    fade
    Our tastes sure do differ. Wicked Twister is the one coaster at CP that I ride once a season just to be a completist and then I´m relieved not to have to do it again. Shuttle coasters make me sick, is the trouble, and the
    thing that REALLY makes me sick is anytime I decelerate rapidly while going
    in reverse. So it´s really not meant to be between me and Wicked
    Twister.

One of my petty annoyances as a carousel person is listening to people going
    on about how crazy fast Cedar Downs supposedly is. It´s run way too slow and in fact I am pretty sure that the non-derby carousel at Crossroads Village (Flint, Michigan) runs about as fast as Cedar Downs. That´s just how fast regular carousels used to run. Now CP's racing derby runs as fast as
    a carousel and their other carousels run as fast as a sleepy snail. ... OK,
    I´m done.
    Thanks for the trip report. We (husband and I) haven´t decided to start doing amusement parks again yet but we likely will this summer. I haven´t been to a park since going to Vortex´s farewell day in October 2019, and I´ve been sitting on a Cedar Fair Platinum Pass all this time. I bought a commemorative brick and haven´t seen it yet!

--
    The sign at Cedar Downs says it goes 14.5 mph. How fast does Rye’s claim to go? At Playland, they make all the riders put their left foot on the bottom rung and right foot on the top rung. Cedar Point doesn’t make its riders do that. I did anyway,
    because I’m used to Playland, but never during the ride at CP felt like I needed to (on Playland’s it definitely feels like it’s needed). CP also only had one operator doing everything at the ride, while Playland employs several operators on theirs
    every time I’ve ever been there. While still more fun (to me) than a typical merry go round, it’s definitely not quite as fun as Playland’s is. Still a must ride every ride at CP to me, kinda surprising they still have it. How does Blackpool’s
    compare?

________
    Cedar(and Lake Compunce) run most of their flats conservatively compared
    to at RPL(Rye Playland) - or should that read that RPL runs their flat rides
    relatively aggressively?

Fifteen years ago I roce LC's version of

https://www.technicalpark.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/Flying-Dutchman-Home1.jpg ,

and compared to RPL, where that same ride the gondolas were iissing some adjacent trees(!), the one at LC felt like it was barely moving, and barely got off the
    ground! By the way, what was the original name for that design? I know
    Flying Dutchman is just a style variant of the thing.

I almost fell asleep aboard a Cedar Fair Scrambler, compared to the balls-out,
    raw experience on the same machine at Rye!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Heather Kendrick@21:1/5 to Jr. on Thu Jun 10 20:43:22 2021
    On Jun 9, 2021, Dave Althoff, Jr. wrote
    (in article <s9r3go$2kn$1@dont-email.me>):

The Cedar Downs Racing Derby is supposed to run at 4.25 RPM

It just so happens that Cedar Point's Midway Carousel runs at...4.25 RPM.

The secret, of course, is that the Midway Carousel would fit into the Cedar Downs infield, probably with room to spare.
    Yes, thats why comparison of carousels using RPM isnt useful in such
    cases. Since its the measurement thats easiest to take as a spectator, though, it can be useful in comparing similar sized machines. For a case like this Id much rather know the speed of a rider in the outer row.

The Midway Carousel is painfully slow by any measure.

--

--Dave Althoff, Jr.
    /X\ _ *** Respect rides. They do not respect you. ***
    /XXX\ /X\ /X\_ _ /X\__ _ _ _____
    /XXXXX\ /XXX\ /XXXX\_ /X\ /XXXXX\ /X\ /X\ /XXXXX _/XXXXXXX\__/XXXXX\/XXXXXXXX\_/XXX\_/XXXXXXX\__/XXX\_/XXX\_/\_/XXXXXX
    NEW! When emailing this account, include the 'canonical magic word' in
    the body of your message for a quicker response.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Heather Kendrick@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jun 10 20:38:07 2021
    On Jun 5, 2021, Surf Dance Chris wrote
    (in article<21ef94f4-f81a-4565-8270-e133413f6d28n@googlegroups.com>):

The sign at Cedar Downs says it goes 14.5 mph. How fast does Ryes claim
    to
    go?

I have my doubts that the Cedar Downs sign is accurate. It has had that same sign with the posted speed for many years, but folks at the Merry-Go-Round Museum have timed it and told me (in conversation, so take this hearsay for what its worth) that it has slowed down repeatedly over the years. I
    dont know the speed for Ryes, but it absolutely hauls to a degree that
    I find it genuinely and delightfully scary. As you note, the fact that they wont even bring it up to full speed without having ride ops walk around
    and make sure everyone is in the required position is pretty good proof that its a lot faster than CPs.

Last time I was at Rye (I forget when that was, maybe 2018?) they had the fore-and-back motion working again which made it even crazier at top speed
    than on my previous visits when the horses were fixed.

I havent ridden Blackpools since 2012 so my recollections are out of
    date and possibly obscured by time. What I remember thinking at the time was that it was faster than CPs but slower than Ryes, but the horses were
    fixed in place, making it my least favorite of the three. Of course, I
    treasure the continued existence of all of them.

--

At Playland, they make all the riders put their left foot on the bottom
    rung and right foot on the top rung. Cedar Point doesnt make its riders
    do
    that. I did anyway, because Im used to Playland, but never during the
    ride
    at CP felt like I needed to (on Playlands it definitely feels like
    its
    needed). CP also only had one operator doing everything at the ride, while Playland employs several operators on theirs every time Ive ever been
    there. While still more fun (to me) than a typical merry go round,
    its
    definitely not quite as fun as Playlands is. Still a must ride every
    ride
    at CP to me, kinda surprising they still have it. How does Blackpools compare?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05