• What does QSL mean???

From mnansley15@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Mon Aug 15 14:35:12 2016
    My father used qsl when talking on the radio when he worked for the light company

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Retired@21:1/5 to mnansley15@gmail.com on Mon Aug 15 17:47:20 2016
    On 8/15/16 5:35 PM, mnansley15@gmail.com wrote:
    My father used qsl when talking on the radio when he worked for the light company

As a question, it's kind of the 2 way radio version of the cellphone
    "Can You Hear Me Now"

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QSL_card for more info.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From edvard@sbsbcc.com@21:1/5 to D.S. Fenstermacher on Tue Aug 21 05:47:17 2018
    On Friday, January 31, 1997 at 4:00:00 PM UTC+8, D.S. Fenstermacher wrote:
    Lately I have been hearing the local police respond with the term QSL. It appears that the response is just another way of answering in the affirmative. But what does it mean?

Scott

QSL? and QSL originate from CW (morse code) and basically mean either "are you listening", "I am listening" or "I heard". It really has no place on ham, police or any other radio, but I suppose people appropriated it to sound more cool.

My guess as to why the letters were selected is that they form a distinct pattern of short and long beeps that makes it easy to distinguish when a message ends or begins - my basis for this is the year I spent in the army listening to morse code and that
    even 20 years later, the sound of "QSL" morsed out is engrained into my brain even better than the 3 short, 2 long 3 short that Nokie phones used to beep out when you got an SMS message (3 short is an "S", 2 long is an "M" in morse)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Grant Taylor@21:1/5 to edvard@sbsbcc.com on Tue Aug 21 11:23:58 2018
    On 08/21/2018 06:47 AM, edvard@sbsbcc.com wrote:
    It really has no place on ham, police or any other radio, but I suppose people appropriated it to sound more cool.

Where was QSL (mis)appropriated from ff it has no place in ham, police,
    or any other radio?

Was it an early telegraph short hand?

Where did the other Q codes originate from?

--
    Grant. . . .
    unix || die

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From downtime null@21:1/5 to edvard@sbsbcc.com on Fri Aug 24 03:36:13 2018
    edvard@sbsbcc.com wrote:
    Lately I have been hearing the local police respond with the term QSL. It
    appears that the response is just another way of answering in the
    affirmative. But what does it mean?

Scott

QSL? and QSL originate from CW (morse code) and basically mean either "are you listening", "I am listening" or "I heard". It really has no place on ham, police or any other radio, but I suppose people appropriated it to sound more cool.

My guess as to why the letters were selected is that they form a distinct pattern of short and long beeps that makes it easy to distinguish when a message ends or begins - my basis for this is the year I spent in the army listening to morse code and
    that even 20 years later, the sound of "QSL" morsed out is engrained into my brain even better than the 3 short, 2 long 3 short that Nokie phones used to beep out when you got an SMS message (3 short is an "S", 2 long is an "M" in morse)

My understanding is that it is basically the same as "roger" which means
    "I hear you and understand". Although it may be more like "copy" which
    just means that "I hear you". QSL and the long list of Q codes are mostly
    used in CW communication on the amateur bands.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From kurt_usmc@yahoo.com@21:1/5 to D.S. Fenstermacher on Fri Nov 30 10:30:00 2018
    On Friday, January 31, 1997 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-5, D.S. Fenstermacher wrote:
    Lately I have been hearing the local police respond with the term QSL. It appears that the response is just another way of answering in the affirmative. But what does it mean?

Scott

Many years ago I was a Corrections Officer with Dade County Florida. The Dade county Public Safety Department uses the Q code and not the 10 code as almost all other police agencies do. As far as I know Dade County is the only police Department that uses
    the Q code which comes from HAM radio operators. It makes it tough for the Florida Highway Patrol. They have to know both and switch back and forth.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From rnetzlof@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sat Dec 1 20:05:02 2018
    On Friday, November 30, 2018 at 1:30:02 PM UTC-5, kurt...@yahoo.com wrote:

"As far as I know Dade County is the only police Department that uses the Q code which comes from HAM radio operators."

Yes, ham operators use Q codes. No, Q codes do not come from ham radio. The Q codes were devised to allow European land-line telegraphers who did not necessarily speak the same language to communicate procedural matters, such as "Do you accept these
    charges?", "Yes, I accept these charges." They were defined by the International Telegraph Union.

When radiotelegraphy was invented, the same codes were used for the same purposes, as well as newly devised codes pertaining only to radio. "Shall I decrease transmitter power?", "Yes, decrease transmitter power."

Once amateur radio became established, Q codes were used in part for the same purposes as in commercial radio and wired telegraphy, in part to appear professional.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From jimlav72@gmail.com@21:1/5 to D.S. Fenstermacher on Sun Jun 9 03:59:58 2019

Scott

QSL! = Quiet Silly Looser!
    Affirmative/10-4/Rodger/OK

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05