• [RadioInsight] A Father in the Business (1/2)

From RadioInsight via rec.radio.info Adm@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jun 17 08:18:43 2022
    XPost: alt.radio.broadcasting

RadioInsight

///////////////////////////////////////////
    A Father in the Business

Posted: 15 Jun 2022 06:37 PM PDT https://radioinsight.com/ross/228876/a-father-in-the-business/

Editor’s Note: After Bill Taylors passing last year, his son wrote the obituaries, which made sense. I had always heard Tom Taylor talk about his father and his radio career from a time before I really started following
    the radio business; last February, I fully came to understand the magnitude
    of that life and career, but also to further appreciate the impact of every broadcaster on their community in that era.
    Tom Taylor chronicled and made sense of the radio business for readers
    through his work at Inside Radio, M Street Journal, TRI, and Tom Taylor Now before retiring in 2018. For Father’s Day 2022, Ross On Radio asked Taylor
    to expand his memories of Bill Taylor into a full-fledged appreciation. He wrote something for all second-generation broadcasters, and maybe even a
    few still to come.

Bill Taylor at WDBO Orlando. Photo courtesy Tom Taylor.

When you were four years old, what did you think of your dad? That he went
    to “the office” to perform some mysterious “work” that paid the bills? Or
    if you did have some inkling about his job, was he also famous, in your hometown? My dad was – and I got to watch him at work, hosting mornings at the local radio station in a small Southern town. 

The first time my mom woke me (at 4:30 a.m.) to accompany him, I literally couldn’t talk. My vocal cords weren’t awake. But his were, and when he played “Carolina in the Morning” to introduce his show at 5 a.m., he was entertaining and relatable and plugged in to whatever was happening. You trusted him. And if you were me, you thought, “Maybe I could do that, too.” (My on-air debut at age 4 wasn’t promising. I misread Perry Como’s name as “Cow.” I still have the acetate my first aircheck.) 

My dad was Bill Taylor, and he spent 30 years in radio and TV, first in his hometown of Hickory, N.C., and later in Orlando and Charlotte. My point
    here isn’t that my dad was some kind of one-in-a-million special talent. He was indeed a pro, partly because he’d started performing in his family’s country-music act when he was eight or nine, on a daily morning radio show. 

But radio attracted many thousands of bright, articulate, funny people,
    from the time it entered the scene in the early 1920s. Some of those folks
    had sons and daughters who later considered radio as a career. And they had
    an edge – dad (or mom) could warn them that working in radio meant you
    might be moving from job to job, and town to town, on very short notice.

Of course, most of today’s radio pros didn’t have a parent in the biz. Perhaps you had an “American Graffiti” moment when you visited a station as a high-schooler, or you were exposed to a college station. Or you just dug
    a particular jock and wanted to emulate him or her. 

So if you’re a parent of a potential broadcaster in 2022, do you steer them away from the business, because of the shrinkage of jobs, the vastly
    increased competition from other media, etc.? That’s maybe the obvious
    call. But one thing my dad showed me was the possibility of radio as a
    platform for many other endeavors. (He loved emceeing live events, he did voiceover work, and he used his acting chops to appear in Air Force
    training videos – gigs he got because of his visibility in radio.) My
    father also simply relished being on the air, live. And I’m sorry, but I don’t think podcasting, for all its cachet, offers quite the same feeling
    (of delight or terror).

It’s possible to be on TikTok – and radio. Podcasting’s cool, but marry that to radio, and you greatly amplify the potential impact. One thing that young people understand is branding, especially personal branding. And
    heaven knows that local radio needs the social media savvy and pop-culture awareness of people who grew up clutching an iPhone. Let’s not give up on showing them what our business looks like. However you got into radio, it
    was probably to have fun (and ideally earn a living). My dad showed me that
    was possible, and I’ll be forever grateful. Yes, radio’s fun-to-work ratio has shifted dramatically. But if you’ve been in the business a while, you
    at least caught the tail end of a marvelous era. 

If you’ve been in the business a while, you probably apprenticed with
    people who had my dad’s kind of skills, and marveled at them. In one 10-minute period at Orlando’s WDBO, I saw him ad-lib a 60-second spot from
    a newspaper ad, run to set up a network taping during a recorded spot, then solder an ITC cart machine back together while a record played. He never
    broke a sweat. And you know what? Any teenager watching a skilled jock
    perform his or her shift in a studio today might feel similarly struck. We forget something about radio – that at times, it can still be magic. And that’s what we liked about it, isn’t it? 

Happy Father’s Day to your own father, or father figure. We owe those folks. 

Tom Taylor

If you’d like to read the obituary I wrote in February 2021 for Bill
    Taylor, it’s here. 

May 2022 (4/28 - 5/25) Nielsen Audio PPM Ratings Day 3: KLTH Soars To New Heights For Fourth Straight Month

Posted: 15 Jun 2022 02:00 PM PDT https://radioinsight.com/headlines/228795/may-2022-4-28-5-25-nielsen-audio-ppm-ratings-day-3-klth-soars-to-new-heights-for-fourth-straight-month/

Day 3 of Nielsen Audios PPM releases are now available for Portland,
    Charlotte, San Antonio, Salt Lake City, Sacramento, Las Vegas, Pittsburgh, Orlando, Cincinnati, Kansas City, Cleveland and Columbus.

All the numbers can be found at RadioInsight.com/Ratings.

Portland

iHeartMedia Classic Hits 106.7 The Eagle KLTH rises 9.3 to 9.9 to set a
    station record high for the fourth straight month. Public News/Talk 91.5 KOPB-FM is second up 8.5 to 8.9. iHeartMedia AC K103 KKCW dips 8.9 to 8.3. Alpha Media News/Talk 101.1 KXL is down 8.2 to 7.9. iHeartMedia Classic
    Rock 105.9 The Brew KFBW (4.1 to 4.3) and Audacy Variety Hits 97.1 Charlie
    KYCH (4.7 to 4.3) tie in a distant fifth.

Audacy Classic Rock 92.3 KGON trends up 2.8 3.4 3.7. Salem Christian AC
    104.1 The Fish KFIS-FM jumps 1.1 to 2.1. Trending down are Alpha Media
    Country 98.7 The Bull KUPL 4.7 3.3 2.8 and iHeartMedia Conservative Talk
    1190 KEX (3.3 2.6 1.9).
    Charlotte

Beasley AC K104.7 WKQC moves up to the top of Charlotte with a 6.2 to 6.8
    gain. iHeartMedia takes the next four spots with Country 96.9 The Kat WKKT moving up to second 5.6 to 5.9, Variety Hits 102.9 the Lake WLKO down to
    third 6.7 to 5.8, Alternative 106.5 The End WEND down 6.2 to 5.6, and
    Classic Rock 99.7 The Fox WRFX up 4.8 to 5.3. Public News/Talk 90.7 WFAE
    trends up 4.2 4.8 5.3 to tie for fifth.

Classical 89.9 WDAV trends down 5.3 3.2 2.7.
    San Antonio

Cox Classic Hits 101.1 KONO-FM regains sole possession of the lead up 7.6
    to 8.1, while iHeartMedia AC Q101.9 KQXT slips 7.6 to 6.9. Cox Classic Rock 106.7 The Eagle KTKX dips 6.1 to 5.9. iHeartMedia Country KJ97 KAJA inches
    up 5.5 to 5.7. Alpha Media Variety Hits 102.7 Jack-FM KJKX rises 4.7 to 5.1.

In its final month as CHR Energy 94.1 KTFM, the Alpha Media signal slips
    2.0 to 1.6. Co-owned Tejano 95.7 KLEY-FM continues to rise up 1.7 2.3 2.4.

iHeartMedia CHR Now 96.1 KXXM rises 4.7 to 5.0, while Cox Hot AC Magic
    105.3 KSMG trends up 3.6 3.7 4.5. Trending down are iHeartMedia News/Talk 1200 WOAI (6.2 5.3 3.9) and Univision Regional Mexican Que Buena 92.9
    KROM (4.8 3.4 2.6).
    Salt Lake City

iHeartMedia Conservative Talk 570 KNRS/105.9 KNRS-FM maintains its 3+ share lead down 10.8 to 9.6. Bonneville AC 100.3 KSFI rises to second up 6.3 to
    6.5. iHeartMedia Classic Hits 94.1 KODJ slides 7.3 to 6.3. Bonneville
    News/Talk 1160 KSL/102.7 KSL-FM falls to fourth 7.6 to 6.1. Capitol Broadcasting AC Now 97.9 KBZN jumps up 4.9 to 5.8.

KSOP Inc. Country Z104.3 KSOP-FM slides 6.3 5.7 5.2. iHeartMedia Hot AC
    My 99.5 KJMY jumps up 3.0 to 3.8, while sister CHR 97.1 KZHT slips 4.0
    3.2 2.8. Broadway Media CHR Mix 105.1 KUDD rises 2.6 to 3.7 as sister Alternative X96 KXRK trends up 2.9 3.1 3.5. Capitol Broadcasting Classic Alternative 103.1 The Zone KLO-FM surges 1.0 to 2.3.
    Sacramento

Audacy Classic Rock Eagle 96.9 KSEG holds on to its lead while trending
    down 11.3 10.0 9.1. iHeartMedia News/Talk 1530 KFBK/93.1 KFBK-FM rises
    6.6 to 7.5. Bonneville AC Mix 96 KYMX is up 6.6 to 7.0. Bonnville Country
    105.1 KNCI falls 7.6 to 6.5. iHeartMedia Soft AC 92.5 The Breeze holds at a
    5.5 share.

iHeartMedia Classic Rock 93.7 The River KYRV rises 3.2 to 4.3, while 107.9 KSTE-FMs sign-on and first few weeks of stunting launch with a mere 0.1
    share.
    Las Vegas

Beasley Classic Hits 96.3 KKLZ (7.2 to 6.7) and iHeartMedia AC Sunny 106.5
    KSNE (5.6 to 6.7) tie for lead. Audacy Hot AC Mix 94.1 KMXB is just behind
    as it trends up 4.6 5.0 6.6. Univision Regional Mexican La Tricolor 105.1 KQRT trends up 3.5 4.7 5.3, while Lotus Regional Mexican La Buena 101.9
    KWID rises 3.5 to 4.7.

A number of stations with downward trends in Las Vegas including Lotus
    Classic Rock 97.1 The Point KXPT (6.1 4.8 4.2), Audacy CHR 98.5 KLUC
    (4.5 4.2 3.6), Christian AC 90.5 KSOS-FM (3.9 2.7 2.5), and Audacy Alternative Alt 107.5 KXTE (2.1 1.9 1.5).

Kemp Broadcasting Hip Hop Hot 97.5 KVEG nearly doubles its share up 1.6 to
    Pittsburgh

iHeartMedias duo of Classic Hits 94.5 3WS WWSW (10.4 to 9.7) and Classic
    Rock 102.5 WDVE (8.7 to 9.3) hold the top two spots. Steel City Media
    Variety Hits 96.9 Bob-FM WRRK drops 9.1 to 8.5. Audacy Sports 93.7 The Fan KDKA-FM is off 7.1 to 6.8. iHeartMedia Alternative 105.9 The X WXDX jumps
    up 4.9 to 6.0.

Steel City Media Hot AC Q92.9 WLTJ jumps up 2.3 to 3.3. Since taking over operations of Hip Hop 660/107.3 WAMO, Audacy has seen the station trend up
    1.2 1.3 1.5.
    Orlando

iHeartMedia AC Magic 107.7 WMGF surges up 7.9 to 9.5. Cox Classic Rock 98.9 WMMO moves up to second with a 6.7 to 7.9 gain. iHeartMedia CHR XL 106.7
    WXXL slips 8.3 to 7.8. Cox Adult RB Star 94.5 WCFB moves up 7.2 to 7.4.
    Audacy Classic Hits 105.9 Sunny-FM WOCL dips 5.8 to 5.6 into a tie
    iHeartMedia Spanish CHR Rumba 100.3 WRUM (6.0 to 5.6).

Cox Country K92.3 WWKA jumps up 3.8 to 4.8. iHeartMedia Hip Hop 104.5 The
    Beat WTKS-HD2 slips 5.7 to 4.4, while their Rock 101.1 WJRR is down 4.3 to

Nielsen has delisted News/Talk 580/107.3 WDBOs 2.0 share for April after encoding its PPM signal on 95.3 WPYO without authorization while
    simulcasting as part of its attempt to purge the audience of the former CHR Power 95.3 format ahead of the sale of the signal to Spanish Broadcasting System. WDBO dropped to a 1.5 share in May.

The new 95.3 El Zol format on WPYO debuted with a 0.8 share.
    Cincinnati

iHeartMedia News/Talk 700 WLW dips 13.4 to 12.1. Cumulus Classic Hits 103.5 WGRR rises 10.8 to 11.1. Hubbard CHR Q102 WKRQ trends down 7.8 7.0 6.2. Cumulus AC Warm 98.5 WRRM trends up 4.2 5.0 5.7. Hubbard Country B105
    WUBE rises 4.9 to 5.6.

iHeartMedia Rock 102.7 WEBN seesaws 4.1 2.9 4.2.
    Kansas City

Cumulus Classic Hits 94.9 KCMO-FM dips 9.0 to 8.0, but holds onto its lead
    as co-owned Classic Rock 101 The Fox KCFX stumbles 8.2 to 7.5. Audacy
    News/Talk 98.1 KMBZ-FM is down 6.3 to 5.6. Steel City Media CHR Mix 93.3
    KMXV surges up 3.2 4.4 5.5. Audacy Hot AC 99.7 The Point KZPT is fifth
    down 5.2 to 4.7.

Cumulus CHR 95.7 The Vibe KCHZ trends up 1.9 2.4 2.8.

Audacy Rock 98.9 The Rock KQRC trends down 5.7 5.1 4.3. Steel City Media Country Q104 KBEQ slides 3.6 3.3 2.7, and Cumulus Rock/Alternative 105.1
    The X KCJK moves 2.8 2.0 1.8.
    Cleveland

Radio One Adult RB 93.1 WZAK remains on top 10.2 to 9.3. iHeartMedia
    Classic Hits Majic 105.7 WMJI rises 7.7 to 8.4. Audacy Classic Rock 98.5
    WNCX slips to third 8.6 to 8.0. Audacy AC Star 102.1 WDOK is up 7.3 to 7.6. iHeartMedia Rock 100.7 WMMS trends up 5.4 6.4 7.3 for what Huff notes is
    its highest share since Summer 1994!

Audacy Sports 92.3 The Fan WKRK-FM trends up 4.3 4.7 5.3.
    Columbus

iHeartMedia News/Talk 610 WTVN rises 9.2 to 10.0 for what Huff notes is its highest share since April 2020. iHeart CHR 97.9 WNCI dips 7.6 to 7.4.
    Public News/Talk 91.1 WOSU-FM is third 7.1 to 7.0. Saga Classic Rock QFM 96 WLVQ rises 5.8 to 6.5. TEGNA Sports 97.1 The Fan WBNS-FM slides 8.6 7.0

NABCOs Country 103.9 WJKR is a new subscriber appearing with a 0.7 share in
    its first full month in the format.

Danny Miller To Host Nights At KBAY

Posted: 15 Jun 2022 10:40 AM PDT https://radioinsight.com/headlines/228823/danny-miller-to-host-nights-at-kbay/

Alpha Medias Bay Country 94.5 KBAY Gilroy/92.1 KKDV Walnut Creek CA has
    rounded out its weekday lineup with Danny Miller hosting from 6-9pm.

Miller had been hosting afternoons on KBAY until its April flip from AC to Country. He spent sixteen years at KBAY and sister Hot AC “Mix 106.5” KEZR as a weekend host before moving to the afternoon slot in May 2021. He also serves as public address announcer for the NFL’s San Francisco 49ers, NHL’s San Jose Sharks, and MLS’ San Jose Earthquakes.

Alpha Media San Jose’s Bay Country (KBAY 94.5 FM/KKDV 92.1 FM) is pleased
    to announce Danny Miller as the station’s first local evening personality. Starting on Monday, June 20, Miller will be hosting M-F 6pm-9pm on Bay
    Country and follows recently named local afternoon personality, Isaac “Brooks” Wenzel (M-F 2pm-6pm).

Danny Miller is a Bay Area radio veteran, most recently heard in the
    afternoons on the former classic hits KBAY-FM. Miller also serves as the in-stadium announcer for the NFLs San Francisco 49ers, NHLs San Jose
    Sharks, and MLS San Jose Earthquakes.

Miller comments, “As a San Jose native, I’m so looking forward to returning to one of the best formats in radio and reconnecting with such an amazing community. I want to thank David, Bo and the entire Alpha team for this incredible opportunity.”

Alpha Media San Jose Operations Manager/Program Director Bo Matthews says, “Danny was one of the first calls I made after the flip to Bay Country and
    I will never forget his joyful reaction. He has a true love for country
    music and I knew that he would be a perfect fit for Bay Country. Including someone with rich market heritage was important for us. Danny is the voice
    of the Bay Area!”

Alpha Media San Jose VP/Market Manager David Drutz shares, “Like just about everyone else in the Bay Area, I’m a massive Danny Miller fan and know he’ll be a perfect fit for what we’re building with Bay Country. As great as Danny was on classic hits Bay FM, he’ll sound even better on the Bay Area’s only country radio station, Bay Country!”

Jammin 105.7 Moves DJ Thump To Mornings; Picazzo Stevens Joins As Music Director/Afternoon Host

Posted: 15 Jun 2022 10:31 AM PDT https://radioinsight.com/headlines/228819/jammin-105-7-moves-dj-thump-to-mornings-picazzo-stevens-joins-as-music-director-afternoon-host/

Beasley Media Adult RB Jammin 105.7 KOAS Dolan Springs AZ/Las Vegas has announced multiple lineup changes.

Marlon DJ Thump Rice has moved from afternoons to mornings replacing the
    Steve Harvey Morning Show. Rice has been with KOAS since 2019 after
    previously working in the market at 88.1 KCEP.

Picazzo Stevens joins the station as Music Director and afternoon host.
    Stevens most recently served as Operations Manager of Results Radio Redding
    CA from 2018 to 2020 and has previously programmed KDLW/KAGM Albuquerque,
    KVYB Oxnard, KISV Bakersfield and was APD of KDHT Austin.

Beasley Media Group announces Marlon “DJ Thump” Rice has moved from his Afternoon Drive and Music Coordinator positions to become the official new
    Host of the “Thump In The Morning” show (5 a.m. – 10 a.m.) on Las Vegas’
    home for Old School and More, Jammin’ 105.7. In addition, radio industry veteran, Picazzo has shifted to afternoon drive from 2 p.m. – 7 p.m.
    weekdays and has added Music Director duties to his current role with the station.

“Having both DJ Thump and Picazzo brings so much to our live and local approach in Las Vegas,” said Vice President and Market Manager Peter
    Burton. “Both are extremely talented on-air professionals and have been positive additions to our culture. Additionally, their knowledge matched up with Cat’s leadership and direction for the station will provide a winning formula for Jammin’.”

“DJ Thump and Picazzo have proven their passion for the Jammin’ brand, listeners and music,” said Beasley Media Group Las Vegas Operations Manager and Program Director, Cat Thomas. “Their energy, market and music knowledge is second to none and I can’t wait to continue to grow our station into the market leader with these talented personalities.”

The only job where you start at the top is digging a hole,” said Marlon “DJ Thump” Rice. “I wouldn’t be here without the belief and support from Peter
    Burton, Brian Beasley, Justin Chase, Cat Thomas the entire Beasley
    family. Many thanks also to John Candelaria and Paco Lopez for their mentorship, love, and guidance in helping me grow, so I could rise to the occasion. As the song goes…Started from the bottom now we here!

“After a brief run with the Las Vegas cluster back in 2015, it’s a dream-come-true being able to return to the Beasley Media Group in this capacity,” said Picazzo. “Thanks to Operations Manager and Program Director Cat Thomas who has not only allowed me to grow as a programmer but has
    vastly helped me develop my digital skillset. Additionally, thank you to
    Peter Burton as well as KVGS and KDWN Program Director Steve Hoffman for
    their amazing support.”

First Listen: Kiss 107.9 Sacramento

Posted: 15 Jun 2022 08:00 AM PDT https://radioinsight.com/blogs/228053/first-listen-kiss-107-9-sacramento/

WMIA (Totally 93.9) Miami, iHeart’s much-watched all-‘90s station that launched nearly two years ago, never got traction and finally segued to a
    more mainstream AC. To some extent, WMIA was pre-empted by gold-based AC
    WFEZ (Easy 93.1), which pumped up its own ‘90s content. 

For some, WMIA might have seemed like the end of the discussion about
    whether all-‘90s throwbacks were going to end up as a format or a lunchtime feature, but there was no denying that the ‘90s songs in question were
    going to surface somehow.

The evidence was in Canada where both CKPW (Play 107) Edmonton, Alberta,
    and, more recently CIUP (C97.7) Calgary are doing a ‘90s-heavy gold-based
    AC that frees them of having to stick to 1990-99, and also allows them to
    tap into both the early ‘00s and the CHR rebound in the late ‘00s/early ‘10s. (For those stations, there is also the extra bonus of being able to cherry-pick 25 years of Canadian Content, not just ten.) 

iHeart’s KSTE (Kiss 107.9) Sacramento, Calif., arrives more after a month
    of creative stunting on the frequency vacated when longtime Top 40 KDND
    (the End) moved to 106.5 FM, allowing Entercom to relinquish the station to
    the FCC. In a different time, iHeart wanted a CHR Kiss-FM in every market.
    Now, the excitement is for throwbacks and Kiss is positioned as “the best variety from the ‘90s and 2000s.” 

The new format could be called “The End’s Greatest Hits,” and there’s a line in the launch promo—“we’re proud to reignite one of Northern California’s largest stations”—that pretty much confirms that intention. Ironically, the End is now on the frequency of the former KBZC (The Buzz), which did the first major all-‘90s format in May 2009.

Overall, Kiss 107.9 feels more AC/Hot AC than CHR in its positioning and
    its writing. It is interesting to note though that the launch promo has a
    few different mentions of diversity, including a promise to be “one station for all people.”

In the late ‘90s, with Top 40 resurgent, I remember then-WHYI (Y100) Miami
    PD Rob Roberts reaching the point where he felt he could finally drop his gold-based weekends, because the currents were better than any throwbacks.
    Top 40 product is better, but it’s not deep, it’s not yet a demonstrable format magnet, and it’s still easily upstaged each week by bringbacks from “Running Up That Hill” to (this week) “Pass the Dutchie.” 

Having been through three Top 40 downturns, I feel like there is a way
    forward for CHR, but it involves a cohesive response from both the format community and the record labels, distracted by streaming and its endless
    supply of randomness, only some of it valuable.

The path for throwbacks is easier than CHR, but (as WMIA shows) not easy.
    There were 3-4 distinct CHR eras in Top 40 in the ‘90s. Since then, there’s the Eve/Linkin Park early ‘00s, the American Idol mid-‘00s, and the turbopop/CHR revival era. Different listeners love them differently. They
    fit together more easily than the Pearl Jam ‘90s and the Spice Girls ‘90s, but there’s still craft involved.

Heres Kiss 107.9 on its first day, June 8, at 1:50 p.m.: 

Backstreet Boys, “Larger Than Life”
    B.o.B., “Airplanes”
    Christina Aguilera, Lil’ Kim, Mya, Pink, “Lady Marmalade”
    Shaggy & Janet, “Luv Me Luv Me”
    Twenty One Pilots, “Ride”
    Pussycat Dolls, “Don’t Cha”
    ‘N Sync, “It’s Gonna Be Me”
    Taylor Swift, “Shake It Off,”
    Rihanna, “SOS”
    Semisonic, “Closing Time”
    Bruno Mars, “Just the Way You Are”
    Camila Cabello f/Young Thug, “Havana”
    Panic! At The Disco, “I Write Sins Not Tragedies”
    Tove Lo, “Habits (Stay High)”

Sale Closing Leads To Double Flip In Central Kansas

Posted: 15 Jun 2022 07:48 AM PDT https://radioinsight.com/headlines/228797/sale-closing-leads-to-double-flip-in-central-kansas/

Ad Astra Radio has closed on its $650,000 acquisitions of Classic Hits 96.7 KBBE and News/Talk 1540 KNGL/98.9 K255DK McPherson KS from Davies
    Broadcasting and immediately relaunched both stations with new identities.

96.7 KBBE has flipped to AC Mix 96.7 under new KMPK call letters. Tammie
    Henson will host mornings, while the remainder of the day is coming from Westwood Ones 24/7 network programming.

1540 KNGL/98.9 K255DK has been relaunched as KMCP. Positioned as
    McPherson’s News, Sports Classic Hits, the station is absorbing much of
    the programming that had been heard on KBBE including morning host Mark Ekeland, the Swap Shop now hosted by Tammie Henson, and Kansas City Royals baseball.

Ad Astra Radio Owner/President Chris Shank stated, “We are fortunate to add the only two commercial radio stations licensed to McPherson to our family. Their solid and experienced radio staff has already become a major asset to
    our entire company. Our slogan at Ad Astra Radio is Your Hometown Radio Stations. Their longtime commitment to providing local news, weather and
    sports fits perfectly with our strategy of local radio. We have many great longtime customers and listeners in McPherson County and we look forward to being even better able to serve them all with 3 additional signals.

Ad Astra also owns CHR 94.7 KSKU Sterling, Classic Hits “HK FM” 95.9 KWHK Hutchinson, Classic Rock “Kansas Rocks 100.3” KNZS Arlington, and “Kicks Country 106.1” KXKU Lyons in Central Kansas.

More Lineup Changes At Radio 95.1

Posted: 15 Jun 2022 04:30 AM PDT https://radioinsight.com/headlines/228725/more-lineup-changes-at-radio-95-1/

The ongoing cuts at iHeartMedia have led to yet another lineup change at
    Hot Talk Radio 95.1 WAIO Honeoye Falls/Rochester NY.

The “Newman and The Mayor” show hosted by Jeremy Newman and Pete The Mayor Kennedy has come to an end after just three months as Kennedy has exited
    the company. Newman continues to host afternoons at Country 100.5 WDVI Rochester. Their 9-11am slot has been taken by the syndicated Rovers
    Morning Glory, which will also continue to air delayed at night from
    6-10pm. The Shane Rover French led show was previously heard in mornings in Rochester from 2006 to 2020 on Alternative 94.1 The Zone WZNE.

Kennedy was also hosting 4-7pm on regional ACs Y94 WYYY Syracuse, Mix 103.3 WMXW Binghamton, and Sunny 102.3 WVOR Canandaigua. He joined the company in 2012 as morning host at Hot AC 100.5 The Drive WDVI after two decades at
    CHR 97.9 WPXY and three years in middays at Variety Hits 98.9 the Buzz WBZA.

The Bert Show Parts Ways With Davi Crimmins

Posted: 14 Jun 2022 04:02 PM PDT https://radioinsight.com/headlines/228706/the-bert-show-parts-ways-with-davi-crimmins/

After nearly a decade with the show, the last four as a co-host, Davi
    Crimmins is no longer part of The Bert Show.

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports that in a Family Meeting
    announcement on-air today, host Bert Weiss explained that he had to let Crimmins go over the weekend due to off-air chemistry issues. Weiss told listeners that, “Chemistry is everything when it comes to this job. If the chemistry sucks off the air, eventually you’ll hear it on the air but this has little to do with the on-air product. It has to do with people being
    happy at work. The chemistry in this studio has gotten to a point that
    wasn’t healthy. As much as I tried to fix it, the problem has existed for awhile and it comes and it goes too often.”

Weiss later added, Davi tweeted out something the other day something that totally broke my heart. Her therapist told her something like her therapist said she handles suffering better than most and because of our current atmosphere Im assuming a lot of that had to do with whats going on here in
    the studio.

Crimmins has not commented since the announcement was made this morning,
    but tweeted on Sunday, for awhile there i wanted to be understood. correct every confusion. defend my name from misconceptions. nowadays i am content
    with being misunderstood! no more arguing. no wasted breath. just carefree vibes while they’re over there yelling.

Crimmins joined The Bert Show in 2012 as an intern and gradually moved up
    to board operator, writer, phone screener, and producer before being named
    a co-host in 2018. She is also a touring stand-up comedian and co-hosts the BROADly Speaking podcast with Bert Show EVP/Digital Marketing Cassie Young.

May 2022 (4/28 - 5/25) Nielsen Audio PPM Ratings Day 2: KALC Sets Brand
    Record High While KFBG & WBZ-FM Set New Highs

Posted: 14 Jun 2022 02:00 PM PDT https://radioinsight.com/headlines/228659/may-2022-4-28-5-25-nielsen-audio-ppm-ratings-day-2-kalc-sets-brand-record-high-while-kfbg-wbz-fm-set-new-highs/

Nielsen Audio has released Day 2 of its monthly four day sweep of ratings
    in PPM markets.

Todays releases include Washington DC, Boston, Seattle, Miami, Detroit, Phoenix, Minneapolis, San Diego, Tampa/St. Petersburg, Denver, Baltimore,
    and St. Louis.

All the numbers can be found at RadioInsight.com/Ratings.

Washington DC

Public News/Talk 88.5 WAMU rises 9.7 to 10.1. Howard University Adult RB
    96.3 WHUR dips 8.6 to 8.5. Hubbard News 103.5 WTOP slips 8.1 to 7.8.
    Atlantic Gateway Christian AC 91.9 WGTS surges up 4.2 to 5.8 into a fourth place tie with iHeartMedia AC 97.1 WASH (6.5 to 5.8).

Audacy Hip Hop 95.5 WPGC rises 3.5 to 4.3 for what Ratings Expert Chris
    Huff notes is its highest share since February 2018. Audacy Sports 106.7
    The Fan WJFK-FM rises 2.8 to 3.4. Classical 90.9 WETA-FM trends down 4.0
    3.4 3.2.
    Boston

Beasley Medias 98.5 The Sports Hub WBZ-FM surges up 8.4 to 9.8 to set a new station record high shattering the 8.7 share set in December 2021. Beasley Classic Hits 105.7 WROR slips 8.6 to 6.7. iHeartMedia CHR Kiss 108 WXKS-FM
    is off only 5.8 to 5.6 despite the abrupt departure of longtime morning
    host Matty Siegel during the period. iHeartMedia Classic Rock 100.7 WZLX
    rises 4.9 to 5.1.

Audacy Hot AC Mix 104.1 WWBX trends up 2.4 3.7 4.1, while sister Sports
    93.7 WEEI-FM is up 2.6 3.3 3.6. Beasley Classic Rock Rock 92.9 WBOS rises
    1.7 2.0 2.4. Trending down is Public News/Talk 90.9 WBUR 5.0 3.7 3.5. Seattle/Tacoma

Bonneville News/Talk 97.3 KIRO-FM reclaims the market lead with a 6.3 to
    6.9 gain. Hubbard AC Warm 106.9 KRWM falls into a second place tie down 7.8
    to 6.3. iHeartMedia Classic Hits 95.7 The Jet KJEB-FM rises 5.4 5.7 6.3
    for what Huff notes is its highest share since July 2018. Public News/Talk
    94.9 KUOW-FM rises 5.4 to 5.8. iHeartMedia Classic Rock 102.5 KZOK inches
    up 5.3 to 5.4.

Audacy Alternative 107.7 The End KNDD trends up 2.6 3.0 3.2, while AAA
    90.3 KEXP is up 2.3 2.6 3.1. Trending down are Lotus News 1000 KNWN/97.7 KNWN-FM (5.0 4.3 3.9) and iHeartMedia CHR Hits 106.1 KBKS (3.1 2.4 2.3). Miami/Fort Lauderdale

Cox Adult RB Hot 105.1 WHQT rises 7.0 to 8.6 to take the lead away from
    sister Soft AC Easy 93.1 WFEZ which dips 8.6 to 8.3. Audacy AC 101.5
    Lite-FM WLYF rises 5.6 to 6.3. SBS Spanish Oldies Zeta 92.3 WCMQ inches up
    4.7 to 5.0. Univision Spanish AC Amor 107.5 WAMR dips 4.9 to 4.8.

SBS Spanish Tropical El Zol 106.7 WXDJ jumps up 3.6 to 4.6, while Univision (soon to be Latino Media Network) Spanish Conservative Talk Radio Mambi 710 WAQI trends up 2.3 2.7 3.0.
    Detroit

Audacy Classic Hits 104.3 WOMC remains on top off 7.6 to 7.4. iHeartMedia
    Adult RB Mix 92.3 WMXD moves 6.9 to 6.7. Beasley Classic Rock 94.7 WCSX
    rises 6.0 to 6.6. Audacy Sports 97.1 The Ticket WXYT-FM inches down 6.3 to
    6.2. iHeartMedia AC 100.3 WNIC dips 6.1 to 5.8.

iHeartMedia Hip Hop 97.9 WJLB falls 5.4 to 4.5.
    Phoenix

iHeartMedia AC 99.9 KEZ KESZ holds onto the lead down 6.9 to 6.7. Desert
    Valley Media 94.9/95.1 The Wow Factor KOAI trends up 4.5 5.1 5.3 for a
    new facility record high. Hubbard Classic Rock 100.7 KSLX dips 6.1 to 5.2. Public News/Talk 91.5 KJZZ-FM trends down 6.8 5.8 5.1. Audacy CHR Live
    101.5 KALV trends up 3.1 3.5 4.6.

Bonnevilles Arizona Sports 98.7 KMVP-FM rises 1.9 2.3 2.8. iHeartMedia
    Hot AC Mix 96.9 KMXP trends down 4.2 4.0 3.6.
    Minneapolis/St. Paul

Hubbard Hot AC KS 95 KSTP-FM remains in the Twin Cities lead dropping 9.0
    to 8.2. Audacy Variety Hits 104.1 Jack-FM KZJK rises 6.4 to 7.1 for what
    Huff notes is its highest since June 2014. Tying for second is iHeartMedia Classic Hits Kool 108 KQQL as it rises 6.3 to 7.1. Public News/Talk 91.1 KNOW-FM slips 7.0 to 6.4. iHeartMedia Sports 100.3 KFAN KFXN-FM trends up
    5.0 5.8 6.3.

Trending up: Cumulus Rock 93X KXXR (5.6 5.7 -6.2) and iHeartMedia Modern
    AC Cities 97 KTCZ (3.9 4.4 4.8). Trending down: AAA 89.3 The Current KCMP (5.7 4.8 4.0) and iHeartMedia Conservative Talk 1130 KTLK (3.6 3.0 2.8). San Diego

Local Media San Diego Variety Hits 100.7 Big-FM KFBG continues its
    explosive growth up 6.3 7.5 8.4 for what Huff notes is the largest share
    on the signal since Fall 1977. Public News/Talk 89.5 KPBS-FM rises 5.1 to
    6.2. LMSD Rhythmic AC Magic 92.5 XHRM dips 6.6 to 6.0. Audacy AC 96.5 KYXY rises 5.1 to 5.2. Audacy Classic Hits Sunny 98.1 KXSN trends down 7.0 5.8

Audacy Alternative Alt 94.9 KBZT rises 1.9 to 2.6, while Sports 97.3 The
    Fan KWFN trends up 1.4 1.9 2.4. iHeartMedia Classic Rock 101.5 KGB-FM
    falls 5.8 to 4.8, while sister News/Talk 600 KOGO trends down 3.8 3.4
    2.8. LMSD CHR Z90.3 XHTZ trends down 3.7 2.8 2.4.
    Tampa/St. Petersburg

Cox Soft AC 105.5 WDUV remains in the lead 7.7 to 7.8. Radio Training
    Network Christian AC The Joy-FM 91.5 WCIE rises 6.3 to 6.7. Cox Classic
    Rock 107.3 The Eagle WXGL trends up 5.0 5.6 6.1. Cox AC Magic 94.9 WWRM
    rises 4.9 to 5.5. iHeartMedia Rock 98 Rock WXTB rises 4.3 to 4.9.

Cox Hot Talk 102.5 The Bone WHPT rises 3.7 to 4.5. iHeartMedia Sports
    620/95.3 WDAE is up 1.0 1.7 2.1. Beasley Classic Hits Q105 WRBQ dips 5.6

[continued in next message]

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)