• [RadioInsight] KZSQ Flips To Classic Hits

From RadioInsight via rec.radio.info Adm@21:1/5 to All on Sat May 28 21:47:58 2022
    XPost: alt.radio.broadcasting

RadioInsight

///////////////////////////////////////////
    KZSQ Flips To Classic Hits

Posted: 27 May 2022 04:29 PM PDT https://radioinsight.com/headlines/226995/kzsq-flips-to-classic-hits/

Clarke Broadcasting flipped AC Star 92.7 KZSQ-FM Sonora CA to Classic Hits
    at 2pm today.

Now branding as The New Star 92.7, the station is positioning as The Motherlodes Greatest Hits under PD/morning host Mark Grauer. The station
    serves the area where gold was first discovered in California in the Sierra Nevada foothills east of Modesto. Core artists are listed as including
    Elton John, Journey, Huey Lewis and the News, Fleetwood Mac, Billy Joel, Foreigner, John Mellencamp, Madonna, and the Eagles.

Freedom Means Classic Country In Southeast Missouri

Posted: 27 May 2022 12:43 PM PDT https://radioinsight.com/headlines/226975/freedom-means-classic-country-in-southeast-missouri/

Withers Broadcasting flipped Country B97.9 KBXB Sikeston/Cape Girardeau MO
    to Classic Country Freedom 97.9 at noon today.

The brand is repositioned as Missouris Country Legends, the move takes KBXB
    out of competition with the multiple current based Country stations in the region including Max Medias K103 102.9 KEZS-FM Cape Girardeau and Dockins Communications C106 106.1 KWKZ Charleston.

The station will retain its current on-air lineup of the syndicated Bud Broadway in mornings, George Davis in middays, and Joe Bob in afternoons.
    The station also remains the local affiliate for St. Louis Cardinals
    baseball.

Let FREEDOM ring in Southeast Missouri! The ALL NEW Freedom 97.9 is HERE!
    We have the very best of Missouris Country Legends, St. Louis Cardinals Baseball, plus the return of Bud & Broadway in the Morning! Listen live at https://t.co/AhUgJKnvSF! pic.twitter.com/f8SoJ7PmFB

- Freedom 97.9 (@freedom979mo) May 27, 2022

Trying To Hold On to That Feelin

Posted: 27 May 2022 12:00 PM PDT https://radioinsight.com/blogs/226831/why-listeners-hold-on-to-that-feelin/

They are three of the most inescapable songs in the Classic Hits format: “Don’t Stop Believin’,” “Eye of the Tiger,” and “Livin’ on a Prayer.”

I don’t need to hear them again. When they come on while I’m working, I need to be very busy to let them play through. (Or else it’s a station I really need to hear for work.) But as a programmer, I understand their
    power. And I wish we had something new like them in todays pop music.

It’s something I’ve been thinking about a lot recently while working on a project for the Classic Hits format, but also because of looking at our
    Song of the Summer 2022 prospects in yet another year that makes even
    thinking about Song of the Summer difficult. 

In doing so, I’ve come to realize that those three songs in particular represent a category that doesn’t exist in contemporary pop music: uptempo songs of encouragement and determination; songs that are brooding and propulsive at once. Those songs are undoubtedly part of the reason for the all-ages potency of Classic Hits and Classic Rock now. (Positive and encouraging has, of course, been the positioner for years for K-Love, and Contemporary Christian is one of the only current-driven formats that has grown.)

Eighties pop was known for songs that acknowledged the darkness at the edge
    of town in a much-less-optimistic way. Classic Hits is also the format of “Every Breath You Take,” “Tainted Love,” “Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This),”
    and “In the Air Tonight.” “Don’t Stop Believin’” and “Livin’ on a Prayer”
    are not the only songs that set the tone at Classic Hits, but they are certainly part of its success, and they are the ones without a current equivalent.

In 2020, we had a Song of the Year in “Blinding Lights” that channeled ‘80s
    pop, but its edgier side. Our Song of the Summer, “Watermelon Sugar,” was the comfort food, but came with the footnote of both the song and its video having been written before COVID and George Floyd.

In 2021, the Song of the Year, “Levitating,” was the diversion. The Song of the Summer was “Good 4 U” and it captured an anger — couched as personal, not societal — still being reflected in songs a year later.

With Harry Styles’s return in 2022, ’80s pop is again the motor, but the feel is melancholy and the message is “nothing is the same/as it was.” Its closest competitors include Lizzos “About Damn Time,” the emerging-into-the-sunlight song that artists have been reluctant to release until now. Between those songs and Jack Harlows First Class, what you see
    as the summer song may come down to how youre feeling in August.

The song that lands most squarely between the regretful and the
    aspirational is Lady Gaga’s “Hold My Hand.” Being a ballad from a Top Gun movie immediately prompts comparison to “Take My Breath Away,” but “Lean on
    Me” is a better comparison. (So is the 1994 Hootie & the Blowfish song that shares a title with Gaga, and is also a product of hard times.)  

I would normally be publishing the Handicapping the Song of Summer article
    this week. Im holding that one until May 31. I’ve been encouraged in the past to write the column about hit music and the national mood. I’ve also been warned not to assume there was a national mood in our divided times. CHR’s 2006-2013 rebound carried through the Gulf War, Hurricane Katrina,
    and the 2008 collapse, but it was when it became clear a year later that we
    had not descended into a second great depression that the party-rock
    anthems really took hold. By the mid-decade, it was “Don’t Let Me Down” —
    morose, repetitive, desperate — that set the tone. (I’ve also noted recently how true love ballads are in short supply.)

It’s hard to ask artists to write what they are not feeling right now. But it’s worth noting that “Don’t Stop Believin’” and “Eye of the Tiger” were
    both written in the depths of a recession. “Livin’ on a Prayer” was arguably the product of happier times, but the 1987 stock market crash
    followed not far behind.

I’ve commented before how a lot of the songs that were rock-radio hits in WLLZ Detroit (and other Midwestern cities) in the early ’80s — “No Time to
    Lose,” “Last Chance,” “Got to Rock On” — spoke to recession-era despair. In
    1981, even somebody unfamiliar enough with the city to write about “South Detroit” would see it as emblematic. And in 1981, Detroiters made “Don’t Stop Believin’” a hit almost immediately as an album cut, and nobody was particularly hung up on the geography.

I’m not unrealistic about what a change in our musical fortunes can do even for radio at this moment. That sounds naïve enough, so I know how
    suggesting music as a unifier or even a conduit for understanding reads at
    this moment. 

But if you’re reading this column in the first place, we probably do agree about the role that music plays in our lives, and that if the music isn’t right, not much else is going to be either. In 1981, my generation didn’t turn to “Happy Days Are Here Again.” It didn’t have to. If listeners are now turning to songs older than they are for encouragement, it says
    something about what’s missing now.

Jamz 107.5 Debuts In Florence

Posted: 27 May 2022 10:34 AM PDT https://radioinsight.com/headlines/226966/jamz-107-5-debuts-in-florence/

Community Broadcasting has launched Classic Hip Hop Jamz 107.5 W298BI
    Florence SC.

Branding as Throwback Hip Hop of the 80s, 90s More, the new station is launching with 10,000 songs commercial free.

The launch of Jamz follows last months frequency swap between the companys
    93.7 and 97.1 licenses with Variety Hits “Frank-FM“ moving to 93.7 WSIM Lamar and Adult CHR Star moving to 97.1 W246AW Florence/WSIM-HD3.

Tony V To Depart Mornings At KS 107.5 Denver

Posted: 27 May 2022 08:02 AM PDT https://radioinsight.com/headlines/226958/tony-v-to-depart-mornings-at-ks-107-5-denver/

After being part of Audacy Hip Hop KS 107.5 KQKS Denver since 1994, morning host Tony V Valdez has announced he will depart the station after deciding
    to not renew his contract with the station.

After a brief stint at then RB 1510 KDKO, the Denver native joined then KS 104.3 as late night host in November 1994. He would move to middays in 1999
    and stay there until 2016 followed by a brief run in afternoons. He moved
    to mornings in May 2017 alongside DJ Chonz and Ya Girl Cedes. He has hosted mornings solo since their departure in January 2018. He also spent time at
    then sister Country 98.5 KYGO as overnight and then afternoon host between
    2013 and 2015.

In a social media post announcing his departure, Valdez notes that he is a
    free agent and looking forward to finding my next home and entertaining the city once again.

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Tony V. Valdez (@itsmetonyv)

St. Louis Post-Dispatch: Downsized KMOX sports department is a sign of the times

Posted: 27 May 2022 07:13 AM PDT https://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/media-views-downsized-kmox-sports-department-is-a-sign-of-the-times/article_9cc0c020-9796-5af7-bab9-e5535b232cd1.html

KHYT To Launch Dakota & Andy Morning Show

Posted: 27 May 2022 06:16 AM PDT https://radioinsight.com/headlines/226948/khyt-to-launch-dakota-andy-morning-show/

With todays retirement of Tim Tyler, Cumulus Media Classic Hits “K-Hit 107.5” KHYT Tucson will debut Dakota Andy as its new morning show on Tuesday, May 31.

Jennifer Dakota Conter moves to mornings from nights at the station. She
    has been with KHYT since 2016 after previously spending much of her career
    in Southern California including her Bakersfield, Oxnard/Ventura and Santa Barbara. She also worked at Alternative Y107 KLYY Los Angeles.

Andy Taylor moves up to mornings from afternoons at the station. Taylor has been with KHYT since 2010 and also serves as Program Director/morning host
    at KGVY LLC Oldies 1080 KGVY/107.5 K268DC Green Valley AZ and hosts the syndicated Tech Talk Radio. Taylor previously hosted mornings at Classic
    Rock 96.1 KLPX and News/Talk 790 KNST in Tucson as well as KPSI-FM Palm
    Springs CA.

Cumulus Media (NASDAQ: CMLS) announces that Cumulus Tucson’s Classic Hits radio station K-Hit 107.5/KHYT-FM will launch its new morning show,
    “Dakota Andy,” on Tuesday, May 31st. The program will be hosted by veteran on-air personalities Dakota and Andy Taylor and will air Monday through
    Friday from 5:00am-10:00am. The dynamic duo will step into the morning show slot previously held by K-Hit 107.5 morning host Tim Tyler, who announced
    his retirement from radio earlier this month and signs off today after a successful 51-year career.

Andy Taylor heads to K-Hit Mornings from Afternoons on the station. Before becoming a favorite of Tucson afternoon radio listeners Taylor was heard
    for nearly a decade in Palm Springs, CA, as co-host of the “Barry and Andy Morning Show” on KPSI-FM, before moving the show to Tucson from 2000-2007. Since then, Taylor has been heard on Tucson News/Talk station KNST AM 790
    and as Morning Host on Tucson’s KGVY 1080. A 30-year radio veteran, Taylor has also produced his own technology show since 1996 and is the Tech Expert
    for KMSB Fox 11 with weekly segments on the latest in technology.

Dakota moves to Mornings on K-Hit 107.5 from Nights and Saturday afternoons
    on the station. A 25-year radio veteran, Dakota has been heard on stations
    in markets including Los Angeles, Ventura, Bakersfield, and Santa Barbara,
    CA, as well as Tucson. A former teacher and video editor, Dakota holds a Master’s degree in Digital Journalism from National University.

Herb Crowe, Operations Manager/Program Director, KHYT-FM, said: “While all
    of us at K-Hit are happy for Tim Tyler as he starts a new chapter of his
    life, we’re also incredibly excited about the opportunity to expand and develop the talents of Dakota and Andy in their new morning show
    roles. They are both extremely familiar with the Tucson market and bring a wealth of experience and creativity to morning drive.”

Dakota commented: “I am thrilled, ecstatic, over the moon and still a bit
    in shock about being given the honor to create a morning show with Andy
    Taylor. I am looking forward to a whole world of possibilities as well as
    the new friendships and partnerships Andy and I will be making. Through all
    of lifes ups and downs, radio has always been my one true love.”

Andy Taylor added: “I’m really excited for the opportunity to shake K-Hit 107.5 listeners out of bed with great morning radio. Together, Dakota and I will help get rid of the sleepies!”

Station Sales Week Of 5/27

Posted: 27 May 2022 05:40 AM PDT https://radioinsight.com/headlines/226907/station-sales-week-of-5-27/

Station Sales

Alliance Communications sells Brokered Polish 1490 WPNA Oak Park/Chicago to Daniela Wojciks CSWWII LLC for $725,000. Alliance, which also owns Polish
    CHR 103.1 WPNA-FM Highland Park, will retain the rights to the WPNA call letters and intellectual property.

Karen Johnston Neal sells Silent 101.9 WVLQ Port St. Joe FL to Gold
    Standard Broadcasting for $25,000. Gold Standard owns Sports ESPN Northwest Florida 104.3 WGSX Lynn Haven/Panama City.

Richard Werlingers RAFTT Corporation sells Brokered 1520 KQQB Stockdale TX
    to Centro De Adoracion Internacional Co. for $250,000. A Time Brokerage Agreement took effect on May 11.
    Translator Sales

Steven Selines Hickory Radio acquires Silent 105.3 K287CB Glenwood IA from
    CSN International for $100,000. The translator will be utilized to
    rebroadcast the buyers Christian Preaching 660 KCRO Omaha.
    Other Sales This Week

Jose Villafane’s Costa Media Boston purchases Christian Preaching 1220 WFAX/100.7 W264DB Falls Church VA from Newcomb Broadcasting Corporation for $800,000.

Vic Canales Media Group will acquire Brokered Business/Talk 1470 WWNN
    Pompano Beach FL and translators 95.3 W237BD Boca Raton and 96.9 W245BC Lauderdale Lakes/Fort Lauderdale from Marco Broadcasting for $1.45 million.

Hot 106.7 Nashville Promotes Nova & Eryn Cooper To Weekday Lineup

Posted: 27 May 2022 04:30 AM PDT https://radioinsight.com/headlines/226863/hot-106-7-nashville-promotes-nova-eryn-to-weekday-lineup/

Midwest Communications CHR Hot 106.7 WNFN Franklin/Nashville has revised
    its weekday schedule as two weekenders move to the daily lineup.

Amanda Nova Terranova permanently takes the midday 10-2pm slot. She has
    been filling-in in the daypart since since Brand Manager Joe Breezy moved
    to afternoons in late 2021 following the move of Jeffrey ‘JR’ Ramsey to iHeartMedia CHR Hits 95.7 KDHT Denver. Terranova joined WNFN in 2020 after previously holding Digital PD roles for iHeartMedia in Nashville and
    Washington DC/Baltimore.

Eryn Cooper will replace the syndicated Tino Cochino Radio in the 6-11pm evening timeslot. Cooper joined WNFN last fall after serving as an anchor/reporter for WTVC-TV Chattanooga, sideline reporter for SEC Network,
    and digital reporter for the Washington Commanders.

WNFN will continue to feature The Bert Show in mornings and Joe Breezy in afternoons.

Hot 106.7 just got HOTTER for the Summer!

We locked in Amanda Terranova, AKA Nova weekdays from 10am 2pm! Amanda has done a phenomenal job filling in over the past several months, so to see
    her earn this position with hard work, talent and preparation has been absolutely wonderful on all fronts. Shes also done a terrific job leading
    the charge for our social media which shell continue to do so moving
    forward. Congratulations Amanda!! To the top you go!!

After working in many different radio markets in my career, I’ve never had
    a team like HOT 1067. Joe Breezy and MD, Rosie are the most supportive and encouraging people to work with. I’m lucky to have them as mentors, and can’t wait to learn even more from them!

We are also excited to announce the addition of Eryn Cooper as our next
    night host!! Since we added Eryn to our weekend and fill-line lineup late
    last year, we felt her positive impact immediately. Her skill sets on-air, online and on-site is one of a kind and giving her the opportunity to shine every weeknight will give us a huge competitive advantage being live and
    local.

Cooper states, This opportunity to be HOT 106.7s Night Host is A DREAM COME TRUE! I am thankful for Midwest Communications confidence in me and our Nashville team for their kindness and encouragement these last six months.
    A special thank you to Joe Breezy, Barbara Bridges, Amanda Terranova and
    Katie Chappelle here in Nashville for showing me the radio ropes. I am
    ELATED to bring my energy and passion to the night show and promise to keep bringing my all on-air, online, and on-site for our station!

With that, we are also proud to announce our Hot Lounge: Summer Series! Starring.Kane Brown! Weve partnered up with the newest, HOTTEST, and most exclusive hotel.W Nashville where our listeners will experience a VIP,
    private performances with meet & greets. We have also secured 5 Seconds of Summer, Em Beihold, Stephen Sanchez and more!

Starting Tuesday 5/31 our weekday lineup will be as follows:

5am-10am: The Bert Show

10am-2pm: Nova

2pm-6pm: Joe Breezy

6pm-11pm: On Air with Eryn

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)