• [RadioInsight] April 2022 (3/31 - 4/27) Nielsen Audio PPM Ratings Day 3

From RadioInsight via rec.radio.info Adm@21:1/5 to All on Thu May 19 08:42:02 2022
    XPost: alt.radio.broadcasting

RadioInsight

///////////////////////////////////////////
    April 2022 (3/31 - 4/27) Nielsen Audio PPM Ratings Day 3: Record Highs For WEND, KLTH & KNRS

Posted: 18 May 2022 02:00 PM PDT https://radioinsight.com/headlines/226195/april-2022-3-31-4-27-nielsen-audio-ppm-ratings-day-3-record-highs-for-wend-klth-knrs/

Day 3 of Nielsen Audios PPM releases are now available for Portland,
    Charlotte, San Antonio, Salt Lake City, Sacramento, Las Vegas, Pittsburgh, Orlando, Cincinnati, Kansas City, Cleveland and Columbus.

All the numbers can be found at RadioInsight.com/Ratings.

Portland

iHeartMedia Classic Hits 106.7 The Eagle KLTH breaks the station record
    high rating set way back last month as it rises 9.1 to 9.3. iHeart AC K103
    KKCW trends up to second 7.8 8.1 8.9. Public News/Talk 91.5 KOPB-FM dips
    8.9 to 8.5. Alpha Media News/Talk 101.1 KXL is fourth 8.1 to 8.2. Audacy Variety Hits 97.1 Charlie KYCH rises 3.8 to 4.7.

Not a good monthly for Country in Portland with Alpha Medias 98.7 The Bull
    KUPL down 4.7 to 3.3 and Audacys 99.5 The Wolf KWJJ moving 3.7 to 3.3. Also trending down is iHeartMedia Rhythmic Hot AC Jamn 107.5 KXJM 3.9 3.7 3.3. Charlotte

iHeartMedia Variety Hits 102.9 The Lake WLKO trends up 5.1 5.6 6.7 to
    take the lead for the first time since June 2019. Sister Alternative 106.5
    The End WEND-FM makes an even bigger surge 3.9 4.8 6.2 to move into a
    second place tie with Ratings Expert Chris Huff noting it is the largest
    share ever for the station. Beasley AC K104.7 WKQC ties dropping 6.6 to
    6.2. iHeartMedia Country 96.9 The Kat WKKT rises 5.0 to 5.6. Beasley Adult
    RB V101.9 WBAV inches up 5.0 to 5.1.

Beasley Media CHR Kiss 95.1 WNKS rises 2.9 to 3.9, while iHeartMedia CHR
    Hits 96.1 WHQC dips 3.9 2.6 2.1 as it resets with its new morning show.
    Also trending down are Classical 89.9 WDAV 6.1 5.3 3.2 since its record breaking monthly in January and Radio One Hot AC Mix 107.9 WLNK down 3.4
    2.8 2.7.
    San Antonio

iHeartMedia AC Q101.9 KQXT surges up 6.3 to 7.6 to move into a first-place
    tie with Cox Classic Hits 101.1 KONO-FM (down 8.4 to 7.6). Cox Classic Rock 106.7 The Eagle KTKX places third 6.0 to 6.1. iHeartMedia Country KJ97 KAJA dips 5.7 to 5.5, while sister News/Talk 1200 WOAI falls 6.2 to 5.3.

Following its flip to Tejano in February, Alpha Medias 95.7 KLEY-FM
    continues to trend up 0.6 1.7 2.3. Univision Regional Mexican Que Buena
    92.9 KROM trends down 5.2 4.8 3.4.
    Salt Lake City

iHeartMedia Conservative Talk 570 KNRS/105.9 KNRS-FM surges up 8.4 9.9
    10.8 to set a new station record. Bonneville News/Talk 1160 KSL/102.7
    KSL-FM also rises 6.0 6.3 7.6. iHeart Classic Hits 94.1 KODJ is off 7.5
    to 7.3. Bonneville AC FM 100 KSFI jumps up 5.0 to 6.3. KSOP Inc. Country
    Z104 KSOP-FM dips 6.3 to 5.7.

Following the addition of the 105.5 translator, Broadway Media Variety Hits 100.7 Bob-FM KYMV jumps up 1.8 to 3.1. Trending down in Salt Lake are iHeartMedia CHR 97.1 ZHT KZHT (4.6 4.0 3.2), Cumulus CHR Power 94.9/101.9 KENZ/KHTB (3.7 to 2.9), Classical 89.1 KBYU (5.0 3.8 2.6), and
    iHeartMedia Classic Rock Rock 106.7 KAAZ (3.9 2.5 2.2).
    Sacramento

Audacy Classic Rock Eagle 96.9 KSEG remains on top dropping from its record high last month 11.3 to 10.0. Bonneville Country 105.1 KNCI jumps up to
    second 5.9 to 7.6. iHeartMedia News/Talk 1530 KFBK/93.1 KFBK-FM (6.5 to
    6.6) and Bonneville AC Mix 96 KYMX (7.2 to 6.6) tie for third. iHeartMedia
    Soft AC 92.5 The Breeze KBEB jumps up 4.6 to 5.5.

iHeartMedia Classic Rock 93.7 The River KYRV trends down 4.2 3.5 3.2. Bonneville Hot AC Now 100.5 KZZO dips 4.3 4.0 3.2. Entravision Spanish AC
    La Suavecita 104.3 KXSE trends up 1.2 1.5 2.0.
    Las Vegas

Beasley Media Classic Hits 96.3 KKLZ extends its lead 7.1 to 7.2, while iHeartMedia AC Sunny 106.5 KSNE trends down 7.4 6.9 5.6. Audacy Hot AC
    Mix 94.1 KMXB trends up 4.2 4.6 5.0. Lotus Classic Rock 97.1 The Point
    KXPT falls 6.1 to 4.8. Entravision Regional Mexican La Tricolor 105.1 KQRT jumps up to fifth 3.5 to 4.7.

Univision Regional Mexican Zona MX 103.5 KISF jumps up 2.7 to 4.5, while
    sister Spanish Rhythmic Latino Mix 99.3 KRGT trends up 1.6 2.1 3.0.
    Trending down are Beasley Adult RB Jammin 105.7 KOAS (5.2 4.8 4.3), Entravision Regional Mexican La Buena 101.9 KWID (4.7 to 3.5), and SOS
    Radio Christian AC 90.5 KSOS (5.0 3.9 2.7).
    Pittsburgh

iHeartMedia Classic Hits 94.5 3WS WWSW dips 11.4 to 10.4 but stays on top
    of the market. Steel City Media Variety Hits 96.9 Bob-FM WRRK moves up to second 8.5 to 9.1. iHeartMedia Classic Rock 102.5 WDVE dips to third 8.8 to 8.7. Audacy Sports 93.7 The Fan KDKA-FM is off 7.6 to 7.1. Renda AC Wish
    99.7 WSHH rises 5.0 to 5.7.

iHeartMedia CHR 96.1 Kiss WKST-FM trends up 3.7 4.3 5.0. Both Country stations rise with Audacys Y108 WDSY up 3.7 to 4.2 and iHeartMedias Big
    104.7 WPGB (2.7 3.4 3.5). Audacy News/Talk 1020/100.1 KDKA slides 4.8
    3.9 3.5.
    Orlando

iHeartMedia CHR XL 106.7 WXXL regains sole possession of the lead holding steady at an 8.3 share. iHeartMedia AC Magic 107.7 WMGF slips to second 8.3
    to 7.9. Cox Adult RB Star 94.5 WCFB jumps up to third 6.2 to 7.2, while
    sister Classic Rock 98.9 WMMO is off 7.5 to 6.7. iHeartMedia Spanish
    Tropical Rumba 100 WRUM-FM rises 5.6 to 6.0.

Following the sign-off of Cox CHR Power 95.3 WPYO at the end of March, the station dropped 2.4 to 0.1 while simulcasting News/Talk 580/107.3 WDBO.
    While WXXL was the direct in-format competitor, the big gainer from the
    loss of Power was iHeartMedia Hip Hop 104.5 The Beat WTKS-HD2, which surged
    up 2.4 to 5.7.

JVC Media Country 103.1 The Wolf WOTW returns to the public numbers for the first time since Holiday 2019 with a 1.5 share. Cox Country K92.3 WWKA
    trends down 4.6 4.0 3.8.
    Cincinnati

iHeartMedia News/Talk 700 WLW rises 12.2 to 13.4. Cumulus Classic Hits
    103.5 WGRR dips 11.1 to 10.8. Hubbard CHR Q102 WKRQ is off 7.8 to 7.0. iHeartMedia Conservative Talk 550 WKRC moves up to fourth 5.1 to 5.4, while Public News/Talk 91.7 WVXU moves in reverse 5.4 to 5.1.

Cumulus has three stations trending up as AC Warm 98.5 WRRM rises 4.2 to
    5.0, 96 Rock WFTK (2.6 to 3.5), and Cat Country 94.1 WNNF (1.7 2.1 2.3). iHeartMedia Rock 102.7 WEBN falls 4.6 4.1 2.9.
    Kansas City

Cumulus Media Classic Hits 94.9 KCMO-FM surges up 7.3 to 9.0 to retake the
    lead from sister Classic Rock 101 The Fox KCFX (down 8.7 to 8.2). Audacy News/Talk 98.1 KMBZ-FM is third down 7.3 to 6.3. Audacy Hot AC 99.7 The
    Point KZPT continues its surge up from its 2.4 last December as it rises
    4.3 to 5.2. Audacys 98.9 The Rock KQRC dips 5.7 to 5.1.

Audacys 610 Sports KCSP surges up 1.5 2.3 4.6. Steel City Media CHR Mix
    93.3 KMXV rises 3.2 to 4.4, while Cumulus CHR 95.7 The Vibe KCHZ rises 1.9
    to 2.4. Trending down are Public News/Talk 89.3 KCUR (6.5 5.7 4.6) and
    Steel City Media AC KC 102.1 KCKC (3.1 2.6 2.4).
    Cleveland

Radio One Adult RB 93.1 WZAK remains on top 10.4 to 10.2. Audacy Classic
    Rock 98.5 WNCX is second 8.7 to 8.6. iHeartMedia Classic Hits Majic 105.7
    WMJI dips 8.3 to 7.7. Audacy AC Star 102 WDOK holds steady at a 7.3. iHeartMedia Variety Hits 106.5 The Lake WHLK rises 6.0 to 6.6.

iHeartMedia Country 99.5 WGAR trends up 5.1 5.5 6.5, while sister Rock
    100.7 WMMS rises 5.0 5.4 6.4. The merger of Public News/Talk 89.7 WKSU
    and 90.3 WCPN onto WKSU and 104.9 WCPN (formerly WCLV) saw WKSUs 2.2 share
    and WCPNs 3.2 share combine as a 4.7 share. The move of Classical WCLV from 104.9 to 90.3 saw the station dip from 1.8 to 1.5.
    Columbus

iHeartMedia News/Talk 610 WTVN rises 8.7 to 9.2. iHeart CHR 97.9 WNCI rises
    to second up 6.7 to 7.6. Public News/Talk 91.1 WOSU-FM falls 8.5 to 7.1.
    TEGNA Sports 97.1 The Fan WBNS-FM drops 8.6 to 7.0. Following the launch of Country 103.9 WJKR halfway through the monthly, iHeartMedia Country 92.3
    WCOL dips 6.7 to 6.1.

Saga AC Sunny 94.7 WSNY trends down 6.1 5.7 5.4, while Sister Classic
    Hits Rewind 103.5/104.3 WNND/WNNP rises 2.6 3.0 3.2. Radio One Adult RB
    Magic 95.5 WXMG trends up 2.3 2.6 3.0.

Roy Brown To Depart MRL Show At Kiss 95.1 Charlotte

Posted: 18 May 2022 12:02 PM PDT https://radioinsight.com/headlines/226205/roy-brown-to-depart-mrl-show-at-kiss-95-1-charlotte/

After seven years as part of the Maney, Roy and LauRen Morning Show at
    Beasley Media CHR Kiss 95.1 WNKS Charlotte, Roy Brown announced on-air
    today that he will be leaving the station later this summer to follow his fiancé to Cincinnati.

Brown joined the station in February 2015 after spending five years at Mel Wheeler Inc. in his native Roanoke VA in positions including Imaging
    Director and night host at both CHR K92 WXLK and Country 94.9 Star Country WSLC-FM. He also serves as a Podcast Captain within Beasley Media.

Co-hosts Steve Maney and LauRen Merola and producer Nicole Weaver will
    remain in place with them noting that no discussions have begun as to
    whether or how to replace Brown on the show.

How Not To Buy A Radio Station

Posted: 18 May 2022 09:00 AM PDT https://radioinsight.com/blogs/226172/how-not-to-buy-a-radio-station/

Paul Izard Communications acquired then Silent 105.9 WGWE Little Valley NY
    in September 2021 for $25,000. The Seneca Nation had taken the former
    Classic Hits station off the air at the end of March 2021 citing financial distress including long-term losses in its operation of the station that
    have been exacerbated by the ongoing COVID-19 crisis.

The 7kW/191m Class B1 signal covered much of the southwestern corner of New York including the Jamestown and Olean markets, the latter of which it had
    a 1.7 share in the Fall 2020 Nielsen Audio ratings. Izard, who had been operating Dance webcaster Energy Radio Buffalo, would assume operations of
    WGWE on January 3 and restored the station to operational status on
    February 28 with the Dance format from the webcaster targeting the city 50+ miles to the north where WGWEs signal didnt reach.

By April 14, the station surrendered its license.

That would normally be the end of the story, with Izard going from closing
    on its acquisition to license surrender in 102 days but FCC filings this
    week bring much more into focus, including why the license was surrendered
    so quickly and resurrection of its license.

Izard has requested and already been granted a reversal on the license surrender. In a petition for reconsideration filed on May 13 and granted on
    May 17, Izard stated that following the license surrender that he was
    contacted by Family Life Ministries CEO Richard Snavely with an offer to purchase the station if the license could be restored. He also details all
    the issues he faced during his brief tenure owning WGWE and the mistakes he made along the way.

Izard starts, In the weeks following the acquisition, I learned that
    serious defects in the WGWE transmitter sold to me rendered it inoperable without costly repairs. I was completely unfamiliar with radio broadcast equipment but eventually retained assistance to repair the transmitter and upgrade wireless technology at the transmitter site.
    As a first-time broadcast station owner, I became confused and frustrated
    about the serious equipment issues and repair/maintenance costs. I also
    later discovered that the tower lease has an escalation clause that causes
    the rent to almost double. Without reliable assistance and facing
    uncertainty, I made a hasty and uninformed decision to just turn in the
    WGWE license and get out of broadcasting. I did not think at the time that selling the station was viable given the equipment issues and lease
    expenses. I failed to consider how the public would benefit from having
    another listening choice with WGWE.

Izard admits to multiple failings immediately. He failed to perform due diligence ahead of the purchase and finding people to assist with the maintenance on equipment. Had a qualified engineer inspected the station
    before closing on the purchase, the seller would have either been liable
    for the necessary repairs, Izard could have renegotiated the terms of the
    deal, or walked away.
    In the days following my voluntary cancellation of the WGWE license,
    Richard Snavely, Jr. contacted me about the station, indicating that his non-profit organization Family Life Ministries, Inc., was interested in acquiring WGWE from me if the license could be reinstated, the station was authorized to return to on-air operations, the license renewal application
    was granted, and the FCC consented to assigning the license to Family Life after we filed an assignment application. Around that time, I became aware
    that the WGWE transmitter site lease (which had not formally been
    transferred to my company at the closing but will be) has 28 months
    remaining on it and therefore the obligations on the lease did not end with
    the cancellation of the WGWE license. I agreed to explore the possibility
    of a sale to Family Life, signing a letter of intent on April 29, 2022.
    After brief negotiation and agreement on a purchase price of $1.00 plus the expenses to get the WGWE license reinstated and renewed, I signed an asset purchase agreement with Family Life on May 13, 2022.

Izard now admits to not knowing the contracts he was assuming falsely
    believing that the license surrender would remove his liability for the remaining 28 months on the existing tower lease. While he will be losing
    the money spent in the original acquisition and all costs of operations and maintenance during his brief tenure as owner, Family Lifes pending $1
    purchase of the license has provided an escape hatch from the two plus
    years remaining on the lease.
    My company has or will have continued lease rights at the transmitter site,
    and it therefore remains possible, subject to FCC authority, to return the station to on-air operations at that site, at temporary reduced power if necessary due to the transmitter issues. I am prepared to do so as soon as
    the FCC authorizes a resumption of operations. I am also prepared to
    respond to any inquiries related to renewal of the WGWE license. Had I been better informed and less overwhelmed as a first-time broadcaster, I would
    not have voluntarily cancelled the license but would have found a way to
    sell the station or continue operating it for the benefit of the public. My decision to sell WGWE to an experienced broadcaster like Family Life for
    nearly nothing is intended to correct my mistaken decision and restore an
    aural programming option in the station’s market so that the public has additional listening options.

Izard is keenly aware of the mistakes he made on the operational side. Its
    also not fair to judge on placing his previously existing webstream on a station far away from its target as that may have been filler while dealing with the technical challenges he faced. Izard is far from the only new
    owner to come into a station completely unaware of how many unknowns will
    be faced on a regular basis.

If we as an industry want to grow the pool of station operators, more must
    be done to make owning a radio station easier. Former FCC Chairman Ajit Pai
    had proposed an incubator program to encourage greater diversity in and new entry into the media business giving existing owners the ability to exceed
    the ownership caps once the new operator was through the process. But that still would not give potential buyers the information they need or make it easier to find a property they want in the area they seek to operate.

Most stations for sale are never publicly listed with brokers and other
    owners merely sharing the information with one another or if listed are
    done so in the vaguest of generalities. This is a listing I came across
    this week, This long- established station is quite profitable and has
    excellent growth potential. Seller Financing is NOW available. Priced at current market multiples. This opportunity is definitely worth looking at.
    The listing doesnt even give a location or starting price to let anyone
    know if its something viable. Compare that to how real estate is listed on commercial sites like LoopNet or generic businesses on a platform like BizBuySell. The purpose of a listing is to get a potential buyer interested
    in a property and giving as much information as possible. Radio brokers
    mostly treat their listings as if they are going in the classifieds of
    Radio & Records in 1992.

Engineers and other technical consultants need to do a better job of making their services known. A Google search for the keywords radio station
    technical advisor or radio station engineering consultant brings up no
    accurate first page results. Instead we get some paid results for
    podcasting ad tech companies, programming consultants, and a twelve year
    old news story about a new LPFM. This is money being left on the table by engineers and firms that have been in business for decades and have let the digital world move past them.

Perhaps most damning is this result:

Now we see why Paul Izard ran into so many difficulties as owner of WGWE.
    Even if he did find one possible consultant to help him in his process, he still would have had lots of obstacles. But how was he even going to find
    one person to assist?

Naima Joins Brian Oake In Mornings At Cities 97.1

Posted: 18 May 2022 08:17 AM PDT https://radioinsight.com/headlines/226189/naima-joins-brian-oake-in-mornings-at-cities-97-1/

iHeartMedia Modern AC Cities 97.1 KTCZ-FM Minneapolis has announced the
    return of Naima to co-host mornings alongside Brian Oake.

The UK native previously hosted nights at the station from 2012 to 2016.
    Since then she has been based in the United Arab Emirates most recently co-hosting mornings at Radio 1 UAE with current Q102 WIOQ Philadelphia
    evening host Sam ‘Nugget’ Dababneh.

Oake returned to KTCZ-FM as morning host in May 2021. He previously worked
    at the station from 2001 to 2012 in afternoons and then mornings. He has
    also hosted mornings at Alternative “Rev 105” from 1994-1997, successor “Zone 105” from 1997 to 2001, and AAA “89.3 The Current” KCMP from 2016 to

iHeartMedia Minneapolis’ Cities 97.1, Uniquely Twin Cities, announced today that Naima will join “Brian Oake in the Morning,” effective immediately. “Brian Oake in the Morning” broadcasts weekdays from 6 – 10 a.m.

“Brian Oake in the Morning” features Oake’s signature irreverence and quick
    wit while he banters about music, popular culture and all things Minnesota.

“It’s always great when I can bring back a prior employee who our audience loved,” said Rich Davis, Program Director of Cities 97.1. “Naima’s infectious energy both on and off the air and her unique accent make her instantly recognizable. She’s the perfect talent to help anchor our
    Uniquely Twin Cities music mix along with the one and only Brian Oake.”

“I’m ecstatic to be rejoining Cities 97.1 and returning home to where it all started for me. Plus, I’m beyond chuffed to be partnering with Brian
    Oake to wake up the Twin Cities! Massive thank to Rich Davis and the Twin Cities management team for welcoming this weird Londoner back into the fold once again,” said Naima.

Naima joins the Minneapolis market from Radio 1 in the United Arab
    Emirates, where she most recently served as Morning host. Prior to that,
    Namia worked at Gulf news as a Digital Content Editor for their radio
    stations and as a Production Manager at Swerve Entertainment both in Dubai.
    She began her career at Cities 97.1 in 2012 as a board operator and part
    time host and eventually graduated to hosting the weekday night show. She
    has a BA Hons degree in television and theatre production from
    Buckinghamshire University in England.

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by @cities971mornings

NPR Inks Transcription Deal With Take 1

Posted: 18 May 2022 04:00 AM PDT https://radioinsight.com/headlines/226186/npr-inks-transcription-deal-with-take-1/

The leading public radio network of the United States, National Public
    Radio (NPR), has contracted Take 1 to transcribe their news, analysis and podcast programming for the next three years.  Under the contract, which started in January 2022, Take 1 is providing NPR with highly accurate, XML-based transcriptions for over 30 daily and weekly programmes and
    limited series, with turnaround times ranging from a few days to just a few hours.
    NPR is an independent, non-profit media organization that was founded on a mission to create a more informed public through excellence in journalism.
    53 million audience members experience NPR content every week across a
    range of platforms including radio, smart speakers, social media, live
    events and NPR’s website, apps and podcasts.  The organization boasts over 1000 partner radio stations and NPR’s “Morning Edition” and “All Things Considered” are consistently among the most-listened-to news radio shows in America.
    The multipurpose nature of NPR’s transcripts means that accuracy and fast turnarounds are equally important to the organization.  In addition to
    being distributed to NPR’s network of member stations, the transcriptions that Take 1 produces are published on the NPR website to make the content accessible.  Academic publishers also distribute the transcripts to
    libraries across the world where English is spoken (as well as Latin
    America and China) where they are made available as searchable data in
    research platforms that partner with NPR: LexisNexis, ProQuest, Westlaw,
    Dow Jones, EBSCO, Gale Cengage and Newsbank.  Finally, Take 1’s transcripts are a critical part of NPR’s content production process for shows like “Morning Edition” and “All Things Considered” and are supplied as XML to
    integrate with NPR systems’ internal workflows.
    “Almost all of my searches for transcribers show most U.S. providers cannot handle NPRs high volume, high accuracy, and rush deadlines at an affordable price, and competitive businesses based abroad are unfamiliar with the intricacies of American-English accents, slang, idioms, and cultural references,” says Laura Soto-Barra, NPR RAD chief (Research Archives & Data Strategy).  “NPR poses an added challenge due to the many specialized subjects we cover, from world politics to science and medicine.  Still additionally, the tech requirements and the format that allows the
    transcript to be ingested in the NPR systems present additional challenges
    not all companies can resolve.”  She continues, “We’ve known the Take 1 team for many years, we’ve used their translation services in the past, and they were one of the very few I knew that could deliver against this brief.” As pioneers in data-driven transcription workflows, Take 1 has supported
    the delivery of transcriptions as XML data for many years.  The
    transcription, access and localization services provider also has a global network of transcribers and linguists, including an established, full-time
    team in the US.  To meet NPR’s stringent timing and accuracy requirements, Take 1 devised a workflow that combines the speed of ASR with a human-led editing and quality control process.
    “NPR’s social responsibility to provide highly accurate information is central to their values, and the fact that they’ve entrusted a critical
    part of this – the integrity of their transcription data – to Take 1 is a real privilege and testament to our reputation,” said Take 1 CEO, Louise Tapia.   “When this contract was originally put to tender in 2010, Take 1 wasn’t in a position to meet its demanding requirements.  However, after expanding our team, services and technology extensively over the last
    decade, we’re thrilled to be one of the few – if not the only – provider with the capabilities to deliver this contract.”
    Find out more at www.take1.tv

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)