• [RadioInsight] KERA Awaiting Approval To Take Over Management Of WRR

From RadioInsight via rec.radio.info Adm@21:1/5 to All on Fri May 13 17:43:41 2022
    XPost: alt.radio.broadcasting

RadioInsight

///////////////////////////////////////////
    KERA Awaiting Approval To Take Over Management Of WRR

Posted: 13 May 2022 10:27 AM PDT https://radioinsight.com/headlines/225697/kera-awaiting-approval-to-take-over-management-of-wrr/

North Texas Public Broadcastings KERA is awaiting final votes to take over management of Classical 101.1 WRR from the city of Dallas.

Should the contract be approved on Monday, May 16 by the citys Quality of
    Life, Arts and Culture Committee and then by the city council in June, KERA will add WRRs operations to its KERA-TV, Public News/Talk 90.1 KERA-FM, and
    AAA 91.7 KXT KKXT. The agreement would require WRR to keep operating out of
    its studios on the grounds of the State Fair of Texas for the next seven
    years.

KERA and the City of Dallas, Office of Arts and Culture are in the final confirmation process of a management agreement for Dallas-based classical
    music station WRR 101.1 FM — the first licensed broadcast station in Texas and one of the nation’s oldest operating radio stations. KERA has
    submitted a proposal in an open procurement process and has finalized a contract with the City. The proposed contract will go to the Dallas City Council for approval.

The management agreement ensures WRR remains a locally programmed classical station, operated by KERA and owned by the City of Dallas. Keeping WRR a classical station is not only a requirement of the City’s RFP — it is KERA’s explicit goal. The agreement also ensures WRR will continue to operate out of its Fair Park studios in South Dallas for the next seven
    years.

“KERA is honored to be considered to manage WRR and deepen its commitment
    to classical music,” says Nico Leone, President CEO of KERA. “Together we can help WRR grow and serve diverse audiences in Dallas and across North Texas, ensuring WRR’s sustainability for generations to come. And given
    our own commitment to arts and culture, and our strong partnerships both locally and nationally, KERA is well positioned to build on the success
    that WRR has achieved in its incredible 101-year history.”

KERA is an ideal management partner to help WRR grow its audience, keep up
    with industry and technology trends, and ensure audiences receive the highest-quality classical music programming possible. For more than 60
    years, KERA has served the people of North Texas with the best in public broadcasting programming. And like WRR, KERA has a longstanding legacy of supporting the arts in North Texas — from in-depth arts reporting on 90.1 KERA News and ArtSeek, to inspiring performances on KERA TV and 91.7 KXT. Additionally, KERA reaches more than 2.6 million people each week through
    its public service platforms and broadcast channels. That coverage is also shared statewide through The Texas Newsroom, and nationally on NPR.

“WRR is a beloved station in the Dallas and North Texas community,” says Sylvia Komatsu, Chief Content and Diversity Officer of KERA. “We are
    thrilled at the opportunity to deepen our shared commitment to the arts and classical music in North Texas, and together engage with previously underrepresented communities in the classical space.”

At the core of KERA’s mission is its commitment to sharing multiple perspectives and celebrating and reflecting the diversity of our region —
    a commitment that would be extended into the station’s management of WRR. Already, KERA’s ArtSeek calendar represents more than 4,000 arts groups
    and venues, providing exposure to diverse organizations of all sizes
    across the region.

Together, WRR and KERA will continue in their shared goal of expanding arts
    and classical music programming in North Texas and beyond.

Tino Cochino Radio To Offer Morning Version

Posted: 13 May 2022 10:15 AM PDT https://radioinsight.com/headlines/225694/tino-cochino-radio-to-offer-morning-version/

YEA! Networks Tino Cochino Radio is now offering a morning version
    following the shows debut on iHeartMedias 99.1 KGGI Riverside CA.

Tino Cochino Radio is now heard in mornings in nine markets including
    Austin, Indianapolis, Memphis, Colorado Springs, and Anchorage.

The Yea Networks nationally syndicated Tino Cochino Radio is now offering
    the TCR Morning Version of the show.

TCR Affiliate Manager Mikey Fuentes said Weve received so many inquiries
    from existing TCR affiliate stations wanting to move the show to mornings
    so when 99-1 KGGI in Riverside California put us on in mornings we decided
    to provide the morning version of TCR to everyone looking for real
    relatable radio

As of Monday you can catch Tino Cochino Radio bright and early on these stations KGGI Riverside,Ca, WNOW Indianapolis,In, KPEZ Austin,Tx, KBFM McAllen,Tx, KFAT Anchorage,Ak, KIBT Colorado Springs,Co, WHBQ Memphis,Tn,
    KVBX Show Low,Az and KZAO Ajo, Az.

Tino commented Content is king and TCR IS CONTENT! Were thrilled to add an extended version of our daily, personality driven program to our current
    and future affiliates. Winning radio stations continue to have the best
    talent and our goal from day one has been to always provide our affiliates
    with the most engaging on-air and social content.

Tino Cochino Radio airs nationally in 60 markets and is available for all dayparts via barter. Reach out to Scott@yeanetworks.com or Mikey@tinocochinoradio.com

Tommy BoDean Joins WRUF-FM/GHQ As Brand Manager

Posted: 13 May 2022 09:41 AM PDT https://radioinsight.com/headlines/225691/tommy-bodean-joins-wruf-fm-ghq-as-brand-manager/

The University of Florida has announced the appointment of Tommy BoDean as Brand Manager and host at Country 103.7 The Gator WRUF-FM and CHR GHQ 95.3 W237EJ/89.1 WUFT-HD3 Gainesville FL.

BoDean joins the stations from Cumulus Media Melbourne FL where he has
    served as Operations Manager since August 2020. He also programmed Country “102.7 The Hitkicker” WHKR and CHR “107.1 A1A” WAOA there. BoDean also served as SVP/Programming for iHeartMedia Jacksonville from 2010 until July 2017 and has also previously programmed “i106.7” WNFN Nashville, 104.7 WNOK Columbia SC, “Kiss 107.1” WKFS, “Mix 94.1” WVMX and “97.3 The Sound” WSWD
    all in Cincinnati, and “Z104” WZEE Madison during his career.

WRUF-FM and sister ESPN Gainesville 850 WRUF operate commercially under the University of Florida College of Journalism and Communications, with sales managed under a JSA with Audacys local cluster. The GHQ brand is
    non-commercial featuring students from the college.

The University of Florida College of Journalism and Communications (UFCJC) today announced that radio veteran Tommy BoDean will join the College as
    brand manager and talent for radio stations WRUF-FM and GHQ, starting on
    May 24, 2022.

WRUF-FM (1037, The Gator) is the 100,000-watt commercial country-formatted radio station operated in conjunction with WRUF-AM, the ESPN/sports
    formatted station that is the flagship for Florida Gators athletics and provides immersive experience for UFCJC students interested in sports journalism and sports broadcasting. GHQ is a student-run radio station that provides students with exposure to the radio industry in a
    Top-40/contemporary format.

BoDean will be responsible for all programming and operations for “The Gator” and “GHQ,” and lead new efforts to expand the immersive opportunities for CJC students.

BoDean joins UFCJC with 20 years of commercial radio programming and
    operations leadership and experience. Most recently, he was the Operations Manager of Cumulus Media’s commercial radio cluster in Melbourne, Florida. Prior to that, he was Senior Vice President/Programming with oversight of
    eight radio stations for iHeart Media in Jacksonville, Florida. He has programmed various radio stations that have been nominated for NAB Marconi Radio Awards and has led a number of stations that have been named “Best of” in markets including Jacksonville, Madison, Wisconsin, Cincinnati,
    Ohio, and Columbia, South Carolina.

He is a board member of Laugh for the Troops, a non-profit that helps
    veterans suffering from PTSD, and has been part of St. Jude Hospital’s “Angel” Program and the Susan G. Komen “Race for the Cure.”

It's Loud In State College

Posted: 13 May 2022 09:00 AM PDT https://radioinsight.com/headlines/225332/zombie-invasion-in-state-college/

After stunting for a week with Zombie Nations Kernkraft 400, Major Keystone expanded their Hip Hop Loud Radio brand to State College PA today with the debut of Loud 101.5 W268BB State College/WZWW-HD3 Bellefonte.

State College becomes the companys third Pennsylvania market for the brand joining existing stations in Allentown and Reading. The Loud Radio brand is also offered in 24/7 syndication via G Networks with affiliates in Fort
    Wayne IN and Youngstown OH.

Prior to making the move into station ownership, Cerullo programmed three stations for Alpha Media San Antonio, was APD/MD at “Wired 96.5” WRDW-FM Philadelphia and “Amp Radio 98.7” WDZH Detroit, and hosted nights at “Hot 99.5” WIHT Washington DC. He began his career in State College at CHR Hot 107.9 WJHT.

Loud 101.5 will feature the WQHT New York based Ebro in the Morning hosted
    by Ebro Darden, Peter Rosenberg, and Laura Stylez from 6-10am. The
    remainder of the daily lineup includes DJ H Vidal from 10am to 1pm, DJ
    Grooves from 1-3pm, and Vijay from 3-7pm. Grooves syndicated The Loud Mix
    will be heard on Friday and Saturday nights.

The first hour of Loud 101.5 featured:

Jack Harlow First Class
    Megan Thee Stallion Plan B
    Drake Nice For What
    Gunna/Future/Young Thug Pushin P
    Fivio Foreign/Alicia Keys/Kanye West City of Gods
    Pop Smoke What You Know Bout Love
    Lil TJay In My Head
    Meek Mill Dreams And Nightmares
    Latto Big Energy
    Tyga/Offset Taste
    Muni Long Hrs and Hrs
    Drake/Future/Young Thug Way 2 Sexy
    Fireboy DML Peru
    Future/Drake/Tems Wait For You
    Pop Smoke For The Night
    Sza I Hate You
    Mustard/Roddy Rich Ballin
    T.I. Whatever You like

Disclaimer: Through my RadioBB Networks, I handle all web properties for
    Loud Radio and The Loud Mix.

Original Report 5/8: Major Keystone LLC launched 101.5 W268BB State College
    PA this weekend with a loop of Zombie Nations Kernkraft 400.

Branding as We Are 101.5, the stunting is tied into the association of the
    song with Penn State University football and their We Are Penn State chants.

The translator is telling listeners to listen on Friday, May 13 at noon for
    the launch of whats next. It is being fed by Seven Mountains Medias 95.3 WZWW-HD3 Bellefonte.

Domain Insight 5/13: Another Registration For 107.9 Sacramento As Format
    Launch Nears

Posted: 13 May 2022 08:30 AM PDT https://radioinsight.com/headlines/netgnomes/225679/domain-insight-5-13-another-registration-for-107-9-sacramento-as-format-launch-nears/

As iHeartMedia prepares to launch its permanent format on its 107.9 KSTE-FM Sacramento, a new registration may be more clarity on what is coming.
    This content is for Premium Annual and Premium Monthly members only. Visit
    the site and log in/register to read.

Dedications to a Dedicated Radio Guy

Posted: 13 May 2022 08:00 AM PDT https://radioinsight.com/blogs/225568/dedications-to-a-dedicated-radio-guy/

Photo courtesy Tom Lawler

I wasn’t sure what to dedicate to Brian “Cannon” Bannon, afternoon host, Chief Engineer, and former Program Director of Eastern Long Island’s WLNG. Both Bannon and WLNG itself were the deans of the format I call “Oldies XL.” I could elaborate on that, or I could just tell you that the last two songs WLNG’s Bonnie Grice played today before her lunchtime request hour
    were “Here Comes the Sun” by Richie Havens and “Win Your Love for Me” by
    Sam Cooke.

Bannon’s last day on WLNG was Tuesday, May 10. It was since announced that
    he is headed to NPR rival 88.3 WLIW-FM as Chief Engineer. Listeners do not request songs in the volume they used to. Listeners are rarely aware who programs a radio station; many can’t even name a personality outside mornings. Radio stations are considered magnanimous if they let a 29-year talent say goodbye on the air, rather than just disappear. They certainly
    do not make an event of their departure the following day. But on May 11,
    the bulk of Grice’s lunchtime dedications were from listeners to Bannon.

My first thought was that “Roll Me Away” by Bob Seger would be a good dedication. It’s about boldly going forward to the next episode in life. It certainly fits WLNG’s motif of “songs you don’t hear everywhere.” Among those who know that song, it’s sort of a secret handshake. But WLNG had
    just played “Hollywood Nights.” I sent Grice a list of possible dedications for her to choose from:

Donna Summer, “On the Radio”
    Shalamar, “Make That Move” you know it if you listened to WKTU during the time when New York had no real Top 40
    Timbuk3, “The Future’s So Bright, I Gotta Wear Shades”
    Led Zeppelin, “Ramble On”
    Charlie Dore, “Pilot of the Airwaves” — the sort of song that “Oldies XL”
    exists for, although I felt like it was somehow too obvious a choice. 

Now that I’m looking at that list, I’m not sure how I didn’t come up with “The Dedication Song” by Freddy “Boom Boom” Cannon. Anywhere else, that song is an obscurity. In the world of WLNG and “Oldies XL,” it was a pretty major oversight from this list. But here’s what Grice played in the Noon hour. It began with a newscast that led with the police blotter. It
    featured an ad for Mickey’s Carting, a garbage remover whose slogan was “their best service goes to waste.”

Beatles, “Magical Mystery Tour”
    Bob Seger, “Hollywood Nights”
    Rolling Stones, “Far Away Eyes”
    Chicago, “Happy Man”
    Bon Jovi, “It’s My Life”
    Shocking Blue, “Venus”
    Aretha Franklin, “Angel”
    Keith, “98.6”
    R.E.M., “It’s the End of the World as We Know It”
    Europe, “The Final Countdown”
    Turtles, “Is It Any Wonder” — from the Happy Together album. The P.F. Sloan/Steve Barri lyrics say pretty much what any of us would want said
    about them by a friend, family member, or colleague. But if you’re ever looking for the perfect words for that occasion, you really have to know
    where to look to come up with those. 

Now we were at the 1 p.m. news, which included the daily obituaries. Grice
    said she had to keep the all-request hour going just a little longer today.
    I only listened for a few more minutes, but she came back with:

Donna Summer. “On the Radio”
    Culture Club, “I’ll Tumble 4 Ya”
    Elton John, “Sacrifice”

There’s more WLNG here, from a Fresh Listen I took to the station two years ago. But if you listen live instead, you’ll have your own “I can’t believe
    they played … ” story even faster.

Station Sales Week Of 5/13

Posted: 13 May 2022 04:30 AM PDT https://radioinsight.com/headlines/225643/station-sales-week-of-5-13/

After agreeing to acquire Classic Hits “Happy Radio 92.5” KKHA Markham and “96 Country” 96.1 KIOX-FM Edna TX from Globecom Media last month, David Rowell’s Bay and Beyond Broadcasting LLC continues its growth with the purchase of Country 102.5 KMKS Bay City from Sandlin Broadcasting Co. for $100,000.

Donald Glenn Brown and Cynthia Gail Greens Silver State Broadcasting LLC (unrelated to Ed Stolz identically named company) acquire Conservative Talk 1400 KNNR Sparks/103.3 K277DL Washoe Valley NV from the late Fred Weinbergs 1400 Investments for $58,000. An LMA took effect on May 1.

After shutting down the Oldies “Real Oldies” 1480 WGVU Grand Rapids/850 WGVS Muskegon MI simulcast in January, Grand Valley State University has
    sold WGVS to Smile FM for $25,000.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)