• [RadioInsight] Fresh Listen: San Francisco

From RadioInsight via rec.radio.info Adm@21:1/5 to All on Fri Apr 29 14:18:57 2022
    XPost: alt.radio.broadcasting

RadioInsight

///////////////////////////////////////////
    Fresh Listen: San Francisco

Posted: 29 Apr 2022 11:00 AM PDT https://radioinsight.com/blogs/224689/fresh-listen-san-francisco/

My “Fresh Listen” to San Francisco radio started out with Hot AC KIOI (Star 101.3) and Top 40 KYLD (Wild 94.9) and the realization that both stations
    were continuing to grow in the March PPM ratings. Programmer Mark Adams had made both stations early supporters of “We Don’t Talk About Bruno,” the No.
    1 Billboard hit that radio grappled with in general. It might be
    overstating things to say that “Bruno” became Adams’ winter book record, but playing it turned out to be a right decision.

But the story expanded. When I listen to KYLD, I want to hear rival KMVQ
    (Now 99.7). I also wanted to write about the recently retooled Throwback Hip-Hop KRBQ (102 Jams) and the just launched KBAY (Bay Country). Besides
    Star 101.3, I hadn’t profiled AC KOIT, the market’s No. 1 music station, and well ahead of Soft AC KISQ, which has been extensively chronicled in my Soft AC coverage. Here are six First and Fresh Listens to Bay Area radio.
    There could have been more. 

KRBQ (102 Jams) 

It’s been less than two weeks since Rhythmic AC Q102 rebranded, dropped its ‘70s and ‘80s titles and refocused primarily on Hip-Hop, although it images itself only as “No. 1 for throwbacks.” Former morning host Chuy Gomez is back in afternoons—in that daypart, it sounds like he and the new station have been there for a while, with a lot of local shout-outs, as well as
    ticket giveaways for Hip-Hop supergroup Mount Westmore. Here’s 102 Jams at
    4 p.m.:

P. Diddy, “I Need A Girl, Pt. 2”
    Faith Evans, “Love Like This”
    Makaveli, “Hail Mary”
    Mase, “What You Want”
    Warren G & Nate Dogg, “Regulate”
    Usher f/Ludacris & Lil’ Jon, “Yeah”
    Dr. Dre & Eminem, “Forgot About Dre”
    Ghost Town DJ’s, “My Boo”
    Too $hort, “Blow the Whistle”
    Notorious B.I.G., “Big Poppa”
    Rihanna, “Rude Boy”
    Ashanti, “Foolish”

KBAY (Bay Country)

KBAY San Jose and sister KKDV flipped from AC to Country on April 5, in anticipation of heritage KRTY’s format change under new owner EMF. Presentationally, the new station is still sparse compared to full-service KRTY, but with a lot of cross-promotion for Bobby Bones in the mornings. 

Musically, however, there’s a definite nod to KRTY’s traditional feel. The artist sweepers include Jon Pardi. The local geography sweepers declare the station to be “unapologetically Country” for San Jose, Sunnyvale, etc. Here’s the station at 4 p.m.:

Cody Johnson, “Til You Can’t”
    Chris Stapleton, “Millionaire
    Morgan Wallen, “Wasted on You”
    Chris Young,  “Getting You Home”
    Jake Owen, “Made for You
    Maren Morris, “Circles Around This Town”
    Garth Brooks, “Unanswered Prayers”
    Jordan Davis, “Buy Dirt”
    Luke Combs, “She Got the Best of Me”
    Eric Church, “Hell of a View”
    Dierks Bentley, “What Was I Thinkin’”
    Cole Swindell, “Single Saturday Night”
    Jason Aldean & Carrie Underwood, “If I Didn’t Love You”
    Morgan Wallen, “Whiskey Glasses”

KIOI (Star 101.3) 

Star 101.3 was airing On Air with Ryan Seacrest. The hour kicked off with Seacrest asking, “Can you make a living making playlists?” Of course, that particular teaser got my attention. Seacrest was teasing an interview
    segment with playlist creator Sami Weisband—a very 2022 radio moment. There was also a sneak preview of the new Sam Smith single, “Love Me More.” 

Star is positioned as “more variety from the ‘90s, 2000s, and today.” In the hour I heard, there was a special emphasis on the ‘90s song. Star’s promotion that hour was an iHeart national keyword contest. Here’s Star
    101.3 at 4 p.m.:

Ed Sheeran, “Shape of You”
    Sam Smith, “Stay with Me”
    Elton John & Dua Lipa, “Cold Heart”
    Pink, “So What”
    Harry Styles, “As It Was” (with a new music sweeper)
    Train, “Hey, Soul Sister”
    Ed Sheeran, “Bad Habits”
    Adele, “Hello”
    Panic! At The Disco, “High Hopes”
    TLC, “Waterfalls” (the sweeper said “from today, the 2000s, and, of course,
    the ‘90s)
    Glass Animals, “Heat Waves”
    Sia, “Cheap Thrills” (lyrically customized with “turn Star on”)

96.5 KOIT

The last time afternoon host Morris Knight appeared in these pages was for
    a side project—a harder-leaning Alternative channel on AccuRadio. Knight sounded good on Mainstream AC, too, moving quickly through a lot of topics
    and station business as the station went into its 90 minute “commercial
    free ride home.” 

KOIT is positioned as “today’s hits and yesterday’s favorites” as well as
    reminding people a few times during the hour in some form that it was “Nielsen rated No. 1 for listening while you work.” It was teasing an upcoming Disneyland Resort giveaway. Musically, KOIT does a good job of sounding like the market. Here’s the station at 4 p.m.:

Bruno Mars, “The Lazy Song”
    Matthew Wilder, “Break My Stride”
    Dixie Chicks, “Landslide”
    Lorde, “Royals”
    ‘N Sync, “Bye Bye Bye”
    Adele, “Easy on Me”
    Rod Stewart, “Forever Young”
    Imagine Dragons, “Thunder”
    Fugees, “Killing Me Softly”
    Lewis Capaldi, “Before You Go”
    Journey, “Don’t Stop Believin’”
    Halsey, “Bad At Love”
    Maroon 5, “This Love”
    Savage Garden, “Truly Madly Deeply”

KYLD (Wild 94.9)

Through CHR’s ups and downs and product slowdowns of recent years, San Francisco has remained one of the best major-markets for new music, and
    that continues to describe the hour I spent with Wild 94.9, which bills
    itself as “No. 1 for new hit music.” In general, I always come away from any San Francisco listening feeling like the Bay Area is our best market
    for Top 40

The station was both participating in iHeart’s national contest and talking about the return of Wild 94.9 Razzmatazz, the station concert featuring the Chainsmokers, 5 Seconds of Summer, and Camila Cabello. Afternoon host Gabby Diaz’s topics ranged from Doja Cat’s TikTok videos to a fight at a local middle school. Here’s the station just before 4 p.m.:

Zedd f/Foxes, “Clarity”
    Justin Bieber, “Ghost”
    Tiesto & Ava Max, “The Motto”
    Lil Nas X, “That’s What I Want”
    Lizzo, “About Damn Time”
    Ginuwine, “Pony”
    Sam Smith & Normani, “Dancing with a Stranger”
    Doja Cat, “Get Into It (Yuh)”
    Harry Styles, “As It Was”
    Ariana Grande, “Positions”
    Em Beihold, “Numb Little Bug”
    Latto, “Big Energy”
    Rihanna, “Pon De Replay”
    Jack Harlow, “First Class”
    The Kid Laroi & Justin Bieber, “Stay”

KMVQ (99.7 Now)

Also a great listen; heavily produced, not quite as musically aggressive as Wild, but still new feeling. Now 99.7 P.M. driver St. John was in the
    middle of 99 minutes of music. He was reading names for the station’s
    $1,000 pay-your-bills contest, but the station was also promoting Disney
    trips on its Website. The 99 minute sweepers referred to “music bingeing,
    now in progress.” Here’s the station just before 4 p.m. (In case you’re wondering, they played “Clarity” just a few minutes after Wild 94.9.)

Zedd f/Foxes, “Clarity”
     Post Malone & the Weeknd, “One Right Now”
     Doja Cat f/the Weeknd, “You Right”
     Harry Styles, “As It Was”
     Lil Nas X & Jack Harlow, “Industry Baby”
     Ariana Grande, “34+35”
     Gayle, “abcdefu”
     Latto, “Big Energy”
     Justin Bieber, “Ghost”
     Rihanna f/Calvin Harris, “We Found Love”
     Jack Harlow, “First Class”
     Post Malone, “Circles”
     Glass Animals, “Heat Waves”
     Megan Thee Stallion & Dua Lipa, “Sweetest Pie”
     Ed Sheeran, “Bad Habits”
     Tiesto & Ava Max, “The Motto”

Matty Siegel & Lisa Donovan Go MIA From Matty In The Morning

Posted: 29 Apr 2022 09:07 AM PDT https://radioinsight.com/headlines/224731/matty-siegel-lisa-donovan-go-mia-from-matty-in-the-morning/

Morning hosts Matty Siegel and Lisa Donovan have been off the air at iHeartMedia CHR Kiss 108 WXKS-FM Bostons Matty in the Morning since early
    last week with what was originally acknowledged as each dealing with family matters.

The show has continued on with co-host Billy Costa and producers Justin
    Aguirre and Winnie Akoury with little mention of the whereabouts of Siegel
    and Donovan, but on their Aftershow podcast this week Aguirre stated, We
    really dont know whats going on and cant talk about it. Akoury followed, We
    are not trying to keep anything from anybody. Whatever is going on has
    nothing to do with the three of us and we dont even know whats going on. We just know were here to do our jobs. We do respect Matt and Lisas privacy
    with whatever theyre dealing with and were trying to reiterate that
    everyone is healthy so dont be concerned about anyones health or anything
    like that.

Barstool Sports host Kirk Minihane stated on his show yesterday that he had texted with Matty who stated that he will be making an announcement next
    week.

The 72-year-old Siegel had been hosting mornings at WXKS-FM since January
    1981. Donovan has served as co-host since 2002.

FRZY Joins 100.7 Star Pittsburgh

Posted: 29 Apr 2022 06:00 AM PDT https://radioinsight.com/headlines/224738/frzy-joins-100-7-star-pittsburgh/

Pittsburgh native FRZY is joining Audacy CHR 100.7 Star WBZZ New Kensington/Pittsburgh to host a nightly show from 7-8pm.

The rapper and personality will host Feeling FRZY on weeknights starting
    May 2. FRZY previously held the Guinness world record for longest rap
    marathon by an individual and won an Emmy award in 2018 for his hip-hop
    remix of Fred Rogers Won’t You Be My Neighbor? for WQED-TV.

Audacy announced the launch of “Feeling FRZY” on 100.7 Star (WBZZ-FM) in Pittsburgh as part of the station’s weeknight programming. Beginning May 2, “Feeling FRZY,” featuring Emmy award-winning Pittsburgh artist Frzy, will be heard weekdays from 7:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. ET.

“Feeling FRZY” is all about how Frzy is feeling on various topics from music, movies, video games, pop culture and social issues. It’s an inside take on being a national music artist in the industry, pop culture
    connoisseur and a Pittsburgh native.

“We’re excited to have Frzy officially join the Audacy Pittsburgh family,”
    said Michael Spacciapolli, Senior Vice President and Market Manager, Audacy Pittsburgh. He’s been a friend of the station and we’re fortunate to have an opportunity to bring a talented on-air personality with Pittsburgh roots
    to our 100.7 Star listeners every day.”

“I am so excited and honored to be joining the Star family,” said Frzy. “It’ll be fun to add my energy to an already bright STAR. They have always treated me like family but now we’re officially blood.”

Frzy is an Emmy Award winner, member of the Recording Academy/GRAMMYS and Guinness World Record holder for longest freestyle rap.

Station Sales Week Of 4/29

Posted: 29 Apr 2022 04:30 AM PDT https://radioinsight.com/headlines/224701/station-sales-week-of-4-29/

Joel Hanson sells Washington Interstate Broadcasting Company and its
    Classic Hits Hometeam 100.7 1490 KLOG/100.7 K264CU Kelso WA, Cookin Country 105.5 KUKN Longview and Rock 101.5 The Blitz K268BN Eufaula/KUKN-HD2 to
    John and Nicole Paul for $2.2 million. John Paul has served as General
    Manager of the stations since 2014 after a long run in programming with
    stints at WYRK and WBUF Buffalo NY, KUPL Portland, and Westwood One. He had began his career at KLOG and KUKN from 1987 to 1995.

Anthony Buchers Hitmaker Music Group is selling 1230 WGGG/92.1 W221DX Gainesville and 900 WMOP Ocala FL to William Johnsons Urban One
    Broadcasting Network for $225,000. The deal comes one month after UOBNs application for review at the FCC protesting the 2020 sale of those
    stations from Florida Sportstalk LLC to Hitmaker for $260,000 was rejected. UOBN claimed it had entered into an LMA with an option to buy the stations which was not executed due to racial discrimination, but Florida Sportstalk said there was no executed contract. WGGG and WMOP have continued to air Christmas music.

Brian McGlynns Genesee Media will purchase Oldies 850 WYLF/93.9 W230CZ Penn
    Yan NY from Tim Strattons Stratton Radio Broadcast Company for $260,000. Genesee Media owns stations in nearby Dansville and Brockport NY, while Stratton retains 1310 WOKR/95.5 W238DG Canandaigua, which he purchased from Genesee in 2019.
    Translator Sales

University of Utah transfers 88.9 K205GE St. George UT to Calvary Chapel
    Cedar City as part of a 2017 deal to lease a transmitter site and make frequency changes.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)