• [Radio World] Young Female Radio Hosts in Africa: Emerging and Thriving

From Radio World via rec.radio.info Admi@21:1/5 to All on Wed Apr 27 14:59:39 2022
    XPost: alt.radio.broadcasting

Radio World

///////////////////////////////////////////
    Young Female Radio Hosts in Africa: Emerging and Thriving

Posted: 27 Apr 2022 04:00 AM PDT https://www.radioworld.com/columns-and-views/guest-commentaries/young-female-radio-hosts-in-africa-emerging-and-thriving

Radio World’s “Guest Commentaries” section provides a platform for industry
    thought leaders and other readers to share their perspective on radio news, technological trends and more. If you’d like to contribute a commentary, or reply to an already published piece, send a submission to radioworld@futurenet.com.

Meet Azeezah Hashim, an influential African radio presenter. Through this interview, well see how young female presenters in Africa are emerging and thriving.

At only 22, the smart, fearless and talented Azeezah co-hosts the most
    listened to breakfast show by young people on NRG Radio. Her sphere of influence is so great it can change a culture, a society and the whole
    world.

The radio and TV presenter and corporate MC has broken a handful of
    records, and she’s a powerful force for dignity and hope. Hashim has been scaling the heights and it is not hard to tell that the future of radio in Africa is female. She says, the secret is to work, work, work.

A unique soul with a voice, style and attitude all unapologetically her
    own, she spoke to Raphael Obonyo about her passions. The interview is as follows:
    Azeezah Hashim

Raphael Obonyo: Who is Azeezah?

Azeezah Hashim: I am a student at the University of Nairobi, pursuing a bachelor’s degree in journalism. Currently, I’m a radio presenter at NRG, a radio station that broadcasts from Kenyas urban cities. Focused on
    engaging, entertaining, informing and inspiring, this Urban Contemporary
    Hit radio station, which embraced digital technology for a multi-platform experience, presents a programming that combines music and entertainment. I co-host one of the most popular breakfast shows. Also, I’m a TV presenter,
    an MCEE and influencer.

Obonyo: Tell us about your journey as a female radio presenter.

Hashim: I grew up in Majengo, one of the low-income neighborhoods in Kenya.
    My parents knew the importance of education, and made every effort to
    afford me education. Because of my fairly good performance at the
    elementary and high school, my parents wanted me to pursue medicine. At
    first they were surprised when I shared with them my passion for radio, and interest to build a career in journalism. My mum supported me when I made
    the decision to pursue journalism instead of medicine. I took part in a
    number of auditions until I landed an opportunity at NRG radio. At NRG, I
    was put straight on the breakfast show.

Obonyo: As a female radio presenter how have you approached your work?

Hashim: Interestingly, I’m too focused on work stuff, I don’t even have time to do anything else. I’m happy doing what I love doing — being on radio. My career is my purpose, and it feels like a happy place. Also, I
    value my family and my Islamic faith — they keep me sane and grounded.

My approach has been to develop confidence through thorough preparation
    that include research and sourcing for information and knowledge. I
    strongly believe, to be an outstanding radio presenter, you need to know
    what you talk about, have a good understanding of diverse issues, and
    endeavor to learn from other people.

It’s kind of amazing to go through life knowing that there are people out there who are just loyal to you. You should be loyal too with the quality
    of content that you churn out to them on radio — I do my best.

[Read More Guest Commentaries Here]

Obonyo: Are there aspects with which you struggled?

Hashim: The industry is extremely competitive, and one has to keep working
    hard and giving your all. Also, it is important to take care of yourself. I’ve come to realize that you need to take good care of yourself because
    your mental health depends on it.

Obonyo: What are you really good at?

Hashim: The things that keep me alive and passionate is being creative and malleable. With every radio show, I’m making something new, and that’s the thing I really enjoy and love about myself, especially being on radio.

Obonyo: What is your secret, as a successful female radio presenter in Africa?

Hashim: You have to work hard, be diverse in terms of talent, ideas and
    topics that you can tackle, and strategically align yourself with people
    that can take you higher. Most importantly, to succeed you need to take
    control of your life by being you.

Obonyo: What distinguishes most successful young female presenters from
    their peers?

Hashim: Never rest, never settle, keep aspiring and keep working hard. The secrets of successful female radio presenters in Africa, four behaviors set them apart: hardworking, efficient, nimble and energizing.

Obonyo: What can you tell other girls in Africa who aspire to be on radio?

Hashim: Do more than you do — it is possible. You can achieve what you set your mind to, Be confident. Be authentic, be who you are — do what you do
    and do not let other people’s opinions deter you from whatever it is that
    you want to be doing. Don’t let the noise, hate and discouragement get to you. Think like a lady and act like a lady. Always remember it is in you.
    Be good at what you do and don’t fear.

The future is female – does that apply to radio especially in Africa? The future is here – that is why Azeezah is co-hosting one of the most popular radio breakfast shows.

[Also by this author: Developing Radio Partners Makes a Difference in
    Africa]

Raphael Obonyo is a public policy analyst and writer who has served as a consultant with the United Nations and the World Bank. An alumnus of Duke University, he has authored and co-authored numerous books, including “Conversations About the Youth in Kenya.” Obonyo is a TEDx fellow and has won various awards.

The post Young Female Radio Hosts in Africa: Emerging and Thriving appeared first on Radio World.

Lets Talk About Mono: This Time With an Industry Veteran

Posted: 27 Apr 2022 04:00 AM PDT https://www.radioworld.com/columns-and-views/guest-commentaries/lets-talk-about-mono-this-time-with-an-industry-veteran

Radio World’s “Guest Commentaries” section provides a platform for industry
    thought leaders and other readers to share their perspective on radio news, technological trends and more. If you’d like to contribute a commentary, or reply to an already published piece, send a submission to radioworld@futurenet.com.

Last week, David Bialik shared his thoughts on why talk radio stations
    should be broadcasting in mono, not stereo. Now, he offers a conversation
    with an industry veteran on the matter. 

Throughout my career, I have worked with some really smart engineers. One engineer that I was privileged to work with is Mike Byrnes. Mike, recently retired from being Chief Engineer of WETA FM.  

During the eighties he was chief engineer of WAMU FM. The station (at the
    time) was transitioning much of its programming away from music.  Mike had
    the thought to turn off the 19 kHz stereo pilot during non-music shows to extend the coverage. Recently, we had a conversation about it and here is a transcript:
    Mike Byrnes, former Chief Engineer of WETA FM.  

David Bialik: If an FM station decides to broadcast monaural and turns off
    the pilot, how much stronger is the signal?

Mike Byrnes: Turning off the pilot doesnt affect the RF output so it doesnt affect the actual measured coverage area. What it does do is lower the
    noise floor so that the station is more listenable over a larger area. I
    would guess that the acceptable listening area would increase by 15% to
    20% which would vary. 

Bialik: Doesnt the pilot turn on a stage in the receiver?  And can that be fooled by a 19kHz generator or is that detrimental?

Byrnes: 19kHz in the FM audio signal tells the receiver to route the signal through the stereo decoder. That decoder is the source of most of the
    increased noise level in stereo FM broadcasting. Turning off the pilot essentially bypasses the stereo decoder, making the received audio quieter.
    If you substitute a 19kHz generator for a stereo encoder you will still be telling the receiver to decode the signal in stereo. You just wont have the
    L-R 38kHz carrier to decode with so youll get 2-channel mono.

Bialik: But would it be noisy?

Byrnes: Noisier than no pilot yes, because you will be using the stereo decoder in the receiver. The cleanest FM is mono no pilot.

Bialik: Were there ever complaints from listeners when the pilot went off?

Byrnes: Very early on there were questions (not complaints) when listeners noticed that their stereo light was off and they thought something might be wrong. But after a while the questions tapered off to zero — the listeners just ignored the light. I dont think anyone today would even notice whether
    the light is on or off — or even if there is one. As I recall, the noise penalty incurred in broadcasting stereo is about 20 dB.

Bialik: Did anyone from the FCC ever ask why your pilot was going on and
    off? Was it evident that you gained listenership in the fringe areas?

Byrnes: Only John Reiser commented — he thought it was a good idea. Stereo broadcasting did not require specific FCC authorization. Unfortunately
    there was no hard evidence of listenership gain. WAMU didnt have the
    ability at the time to track listenership by donor zip codes like WETA does now. 

Bialik: Were you Arbitron subscribers then?

Byrnes: WAMU was not a subscriber.

Bialik: Did you ever have a separate processing chain for mono?

Byrnes: Audio chain and processing was exactly the same. We just turned off the pilot and with it the 38kHz subcarrier. No other changes.

Bialik: When in mono were you summing or just taking the left channel?

Byrnes: We were summing. Main channel is normally L+R.

Bialik: Any advantages for an HD station to go mono?

Byrnes: Theres no advantage to the HD signal. The FM signal would see the standard lower noise. 

Bialik: Wouldn’t Mono HD would be clearer and louder?

Byrnes: I guess youre assigning more bits to the mono channel in mono HD so that makes sense. 

[Read Bialiks original commentary Lets Talk About Mono]

David Bialik is a consultant; co-chair of the AES Technical Committee for Broadcast and Online Delivery; and chair of the Metadata Usage Working
    Group at the NRSC. He is former director of stream operations for CBS Radio
    and Entercom. His commentaries appear regularly at Radio World.

The post Lets Talk About Mono: This Time With an Industry Veteran appeared first on Radio World.

Read the April 27, 2022 Issue of Radio World

Posted: 27 Apr 2022 02:00 AM PDT https://www.radioworld.com/resource-center/digital-editions/read-the-april-27-2022-issue-of-radio-world

A look at new loudness guidelines for streaming audio.
    Why Extending Daylight Saving Time could hurt AM broadcasters.
    Hubbard experiments with localized podcast apps.
    And in the Opinion section, readers speak up for amateur radio in response
    to a letter to the editor critical of hams.
    Read it here.

The post Read the April 27, 2022 Issue of Radio World appeared first on
    Radio World.

Extending Daylight Saving Time Could Hurt AM Radio

Posted: 27 Apr 2022 02:00 AM PDT https://www.radioworld.com/news-and-business/business-and-law/extending-daylight-saving-time-could-hurt-am-radio

The idea of making Daylight Saving Time a permanent fixture has been
    broadly discussed before but when the U.S. Senate adopted a bill to make it
    the law of the land recently, broadcast industry representatives quickly
    jumped up to protest.

The aptly named Sunshine Protection Act would extend Daylight Saving Time
    in the United States year-round but could have damaging programming and technical implications for many AM broadcasters. The outlook for the legislation in the U.S. House was unclear as of early April.

For 80 years most Americans have observed the tradition of resetting their clocks spring and fall. Reverting to Standard Time during winter months has benefitted AM broadcasters operating only during daylight hours and those
    with restricted nighttime coverage. The time shift allows earlier sign-on
    and full-power operating times. 

However, a change to extend DST would impact the critical AM morning drive
    time on those stations and potentially hurt revenue generated by morning
    shows. Those stations would benefit from later sign-off times in November, December, January and February, but not enough to offset getting short
    changed on morning drive, according to some AM owners (see sidebar).

The FCC declined comment on the legislation and would not speculate on how
    it could affect U.S. AM broadcasters. The commission has spent the past
    decade touting its AM revitalization measures to save the senior band.  

The National Association of Broadcasters said it was working with the
    bill’s authors and the leadership of the House Energy and Commerce
    Committee to minimize potential impact on broadcasters.

Final blow?

Ben Downs, vice president and general manager of Bryan Broadcasting, which operates four AM stations, said the harm from a switch to year-round DST
    would go beyond daytimers. He estimates that over 75% of AM radio stations would be affected.    

“All but about 1,000 of the 4,500 or so licensed AM stations either sign
    on, increase power or go to a less restrictive directional pattern at sunrise,” Downs said. “AM radio comes alive at sunrise.” 

The band is already “living in a sea of noise and interference from digital devices and their inexpensive power supplies,” Downs said; he thinks permanent Daylight Saving Time would be the final blow for many
    small-market AM stations.     

“As we all know, most small-market AM stations do not operate with large profit margins. The sun rising brings AM radio to life for most. In the
    winter, listeners would find these stations — their news, information, entertainment and advertisements — would not even exist,” Downs said.  

[See Our Business and Law Page]

KTBB(AM) at 600 kHz and licensed to Tyler, Texas, is another of the
    stations that would be hurt by year-round DST. The station, 5,000 watts by
    day and 2,500 watts at night, would lose approximately 40% of its Nielsen-defined metro between local sunset and local sunrise, according to
    Paul Gleiser, its president and owner.

“For about a four-month period, 40% of the market would not be able to hear it until after 8 a.m., and possibly as late at 8:30 a.m. That would
    effectively end KTBB’s viability,” Gleiser said. “A station that can’t be
    heard very well before 8 a.m. has very limited revenue prospects.”

Gleiser says he is fortunate to be able to simulcast programming on an FM
    that he purchased in 2015, one that covers the full market. “For operators
    of AM stations without such an alternative, 12-month DST is potentially fatal.”

And Gleiser said he wouldn’t expect the FCC to step in with an across-the-board modification of operating hours to help AM broadcasters affected if Daylight Saving Time is in effect year around.  

“If, for example, the FCC permitted power increases at 6 a.m. rather than waiting for local sunrise, the resulting interference would be a major
    problem. I would expect zero help from the FCC,” he said.

“Very concerned”

Randy Miller, president of Miller Media Group, owns two daytime AM stations with no pre-sunrise or post-sunset authority. WHOW(AM) is licensed to
    Clinton, Ill., while (WTIM) is 500 watts and licensed to Assumption/Taylorville, Ill. They serve critical roles in the community,
    Miller said.

“I am very concerned about this. Our expanded local newscasts air in each market at 7:10 a.m., which means they won’t be heard. When severe weather, i.e. snow and ice hits, parents and children will not be getting any of the school closings well be broadcasting in the morning during the winter.”

His AMs are paired with several FM translators but he worries about older members of the community that rely on the AM signal to monitor programming.

“Finally, our local advertisers will miss an opportunity to reach their potential customers during the morning, due to the 8:15 a.m. sign-on,”
    Miller said.   

[Related: Rotella Raises Daylight Saving Concerns With Pallone]

The Sunshine Protection Act, sponsored by Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla., would especially hurt stations in the northern half of the U.S., said Steve
    Moravec, president of Phoenix Media Group Inc. 

“Senator Rubio represents a state with some of the southernmost real estate in the country. For the northern half of the United States, the measure
    would create yet another problem for AM owners to overcome,” he said.     

Moravec, a former AM radio station owner who now concentrates on consulting
    and brokerage activities, says restricting or changing daytime coverage or full-power hours makes a mockery of AM service to the listening public and threatens the AM band’s long-term viability. 

“It’s hard to sell morning drive at a premium if the audience can’t hear the radio station,” Moravec said. “Just imagine a heavy spot load during the holiday season and you can’t go to full facilities until perhaps 9 a.m.”

There also would be the added burden of Canada and Mexico needing to concur with any U.S. action, he says.

Veteran news and talk radio consultant Holland Cooke said many of his AM clientele have already essentially evacuated the band for the safety of FM through the use of translators.

“The smart ones are already pretending to be FM by rebranding themselves. Because AM is just so challenged, and this possible switch to year-round Daylight Saving Time will do none of them any good. To think you can successfully operate an AM station being invisible during most of morning
    drive is ludicrous,” Cooke said.

Another AM radio advocate notes that translators generally are not
    available in larger markets, where the FM band is nearly full. There, AM operators cannot allocate an FM translator of any size due to spacing and interference requirements. 

“A 250 watt translator is a rarity in large markets, with some translator operators operating with as little as one watt in order to conform to interference requirements. This leaves many AM stations in major markets without an FM simulcast as backup,” he said.

Daylight Saving Time was implemented in 1916 in an effort to conserve fuel during World War I. Under the proposed law, the country would have until
    Nov. 20, 2023, to prepare for the change.

Unpredictability of nighttime AM    

Thousands of AM stations, many of them Class D stations, are required by
    the FCC’s rules to reduce their power, use a more restrictive coverage pattern, or cease operating at night to avoid interference to other AM stations. Local sunrise and sunset times therefore are critical to
    thousands of AM broadcasters in the United States. 

There are 1,965 Class D AM stations in the United States. Of those, 1,011 operate daytime only, according to the FCC.

Industry observers say that in the lower 48 states, AM operators in major cities across the Pacific Northwest would be especially sensitive to a
    shift to permanent Daylight Saving Time, given their northerly locations.
    For example, Portland, Ore., is farther north than Minneapolis.

Some Class D stations operate with presunrise authorization and postsunset authorization during some months with special authorization from the FCC, according to the commission. However, the rule is complicated, industry
    experts say, and because of a lack of suitable software, the commission has
    not granted new PSRA and PSSA authorizations for several years.

A flip to permanent Daylight Saving Time would bring operating
    complications for AM broadcasters, said Ben Dawson, consulting engineer
    with Hatfield & Dawson, since the propagation mechanism for frequencies of
    the AM band is different between daytime and nighttime.   

“The groundwave propagation that provides service during daylight hours is quite consistent, but the nighttime propagation mechanism that produces
    skywave coverage and interference is not. And it varies seasonally and
    during the nighttime hours,” Dawson said.

A change to full-time DST — essentially moving the entire country one time zone east — won’t reduce daytime operation hours but would cause morning power change or sign-on times to be an hour later in the winter, Dawson
    said.

Randy J. Stine has spent the past 40 years working in audio production and broadcast radio news. He joined Radio World in 1997 and covers new
    technology and regulatory issues. He has a B.A. in journalism from Michigan State University.

The post Extending Daylight Saving Time Could Hurt AM Radio appeared first
    on Radio World.

Radio World Announces Best of Show Winners

Posted: 26 Apr 2022 05:33 PM PDT https://www.radioworld.com/resource-center/awards/best-of-show-awards-nab/radio-world-announces-best-of-show-winners

Radio World announced the winners of the 2022 Radio World Best of Show
    Awards at the NAB Show in Las Vegas.

“The exhibitor community here at the convention seems very pleased with the show turnout and the experience of being back at the spring show in
    person,” said Radio World Editor in Chief Paul McLane.

“We’re pleased to recognize products that stood out on the show floor for their innovation, feature set, cost efficiency and performance in serving
    the industry.”

The recipients are:

Broadcast Bionics Bionic Table

Dielectric FMP FM Pylon Antenna Family

DJB Studio

Inovonics 552 HD Radio Mod Monitor

Marketron NXT

Nautel New Advanced User Interface

Nautel VX Series FM Transmitters

Orban Optimod XPN-Enterprise

RCS Disaster Recovery

Thimeo StereoTool STXtreme Advanced Audio Processor

Wheatstone Layers

Radio World also named the Telos Alliance Axia iQS Virtual Broadcast Studio
    as a recipient of its Best in Market Award.

Companies must nominate a product for it to be considered; there is a fee
    for entry. Not all nominations are selected.

Radio World is part of the Future family of publications. Awards at the NAB Show are also given by TV Tech, Sound & Video Contractor, Mix, Next TV, Broadcasting & Cable and TVBEurope.

The post Radio World Announces Best of Show Winners appeared first on Radio World.

DJB Radio Updates Its Product Line

Posted: 26 Apr 2022 03:50 PM PDT https://www.radioworld.com/tech-and-gear/products/djb-radio-updates-its-product-line

DJB Radio said its entire line of software has been updated. 

DJB Radio Logger and DJB Radio Spider are Windows 11-ready and now ship
    with a built-in HTML client. The user can log, skim or schedule recordings
    from any local audio source, AoIP driver or URL. Logger can be connected to serial or custom logic interfaces for WNIP, Livewire or SAS for full
    start/stop control. Email alerting per-channel provides silence detection
    as well as URL loss notifications. 

You can monitor and manage Logger and Spider from anywhere on your local network or VPN. 

On the automation side, DJB Radio and DJB Zone have been given facelifts. 

“New features include transactional log timing in the main play stack, enhanced metadata management for streaming and a bigger toolbox for
    scheduling music and automation commands,” the company says.

“Improved logic compatibility with all major AoIP systems as well as serial-based switchers reaffirms DJB’s commitment to satellite-fed stations and easy interoperability with today’s premier broadcast systems.”

[Check Out More Products at Radio World’s Products Section]

DJB Radio Logger starts at $295, Spider at $395 and automation packages at $,1295. 

Ahead of the spring NAB Show, it also teased: “A revamped Button
    Broadcaster is on the way that will offer a two-in-one powerhouse for
    internet broadcasters and podcasters alike.”

NAB Show Booth: N3231

The post DJB Radio Updates Its Product Line appeared first on Radio World.

Encouraging News for AM/FM Streaming

Posted: 26 Apr 2022 03:21 PM PDT https://www.radioworld.com/news-and-business/programming-and-sales/encouraging-news-for-am-fm-streaming

New reports from the AM/FM radio streaming front contain intriguing
    information for radio broadcasters. 

A new study by Nielsen marks the first time the company has captured and examined all AM/FM radio streaming behavior by listeners across the U.S.

Captured by the company’s Portable People Meter measuring device, the
    Nielsen study offered insights on who AM/FM radio stream listeners are, how they differ from over-the-air AM/FM radio listeners and how and where AM/FM radio streaming is consumed.

Additional insights on the data, from an analysis completed by the Cumulus Media | Westwood One Audio Active Group, included data from Edison
    Research’s quarterly Share of Ear study as well as purchase intention data from MRI-Simmons, a consumer insight firm. 

The results on the streaming of AM/FM stations may come as a bit of a
    surprise, said Suzanne Grimes, president of Westwood One and executive vice president of marketing for Cumulus Media.

“While it is well acknowledged that podcasts are a fast-growing audio platform, it would surprise many to learn that AM/FM radio streaming
    audiences have also experienced significant growth over the last several years,” she said. “AM/FM radio streaming now has the scale and quality marketers require. With audiences larger than Pandora and Spotify, AM/FM
    radio streaming listeners are upscale, employed and in-market for major purchases.”  

The study examined several key metrics that are of use to stations,
    marketers, media planners and buyers, including a detailed look at how much listening happens in home DMA markets and an analysis of advertising consumption among other areas. 

To start, the study revealed that the number of listeners to radio streams
    is growing, with streaming representing 12% of total AM/FM radio listening
    of individuals aged 25-54. That’s up from 9.2% in August 2021.

There is also growing demand for spoken-word streams, which include news,
    talk and sports programming — so much so that 36% of all time spent
    streaming is spent listening to spoken-word stations. 

For some AM/FM radio programming formats, streaming represents 25% to 30%
    of all listening. The figures break down in the following ways:

30% of listening to Album Adult Alternative and Classical stations comes
    via the stream.
    27% of listening to Talk/Personality stations comes via the stream.
    25% of listening to Album Oriented Rock and News Talk Information stations comes via the stream.
    22% of listening to Sports stations comes via the stream.
    17% of listening to All News stations comes via the stream.
    15% of listening to Pop Top 40 stations comes via the stream.

In compelling news for marketers and ad buyers, the Nielsen report also revealed that the majority of an AM/FM radio streaming audience resides in
    the home DMA market. An analysis of 321 AM/FM radio station streams by
    Nielsen revealed that 89% of streaming audiences came from home market stations. “Marketers can purchase time on AM/FM radio station streams
    knowing most of the audience is from that home market,” said Pierre
    Bouvard, chief insights officer at Cumulus Media | Westwood One and
    president of the company’s Audio Active Group.

The report also revealed how AM/FM streaming audiences see themselves.
    Compared to the over-the-air AM/FM radio audience, streaming audiences are
    14% more likely to be employed full time and 30% more likely to have a household income of more than $75,000.

Cumulus’ Bouvard also incorporated findings from a 2021 MRI-Simmons survey and found that audiences that had listened to AM/FM radio station streams
    in the last 30 days are more likely than the average listener to make a
    series of major purchases, such as buying a new vehicle, buying large
    household furnishings or starting a new business.

The Nielsen study also revealed that fewer ads are needed in AM/FM radio streams because those streamed ads are being listened to more often and
    with a greater level of frequency when compared to ads broadcast over the
    air. According to the analysis by Bouvard, “half the number of streaming
    ads are needed to achieve the same level of frequency over the air,” he wrote. “Given the strong streaming time spent, it is no surprise that streaming campaigns reach larger proportions of audiences faster compared
    to over-the-air campaigns.”

But the report also revealed that there is wide variation in the amount of AM/FM radio stream listening in one market compared to another. In Las
    Vegas, for example, only 3.9% of all AM/FM radio listening occurs via the stream. That’s compared to an 18.4% average in Philadelphia. The top five cities on Nielsen’s list include Philadelphia; the Providence/Warwick/Pawtucket, R.I., market; Washington, D.C.;
    Minneapolis/St. Paul; and Baltimore. 

The bottom five: Las Vegas, Detroit, Jacksonville, Dallas/Ft. Worth and, interestingly, Pittsburgh, Pa., which is only a few hundred miles away from
    the leading market city of Philadelphia.

The analysis by Cumulus also included data from Edison’s Share of Ear
    report, which found that the ad-supported share of AM/FM radio streaming
    has increased 6% to 11% with ad-supported programming at Pandora dropping
    from 10% in 2017 to 8% in 2022.

On top of that, the Share of Ear study revealed that streaming is growing
    as a percentage of total AM/FM radio listening. While over-the-air radio listening continues to dominate, more listeners are tuning in to digital streaming of AM/FM radio. In the first quarter of 2022, 15% of those
    surveyed say they are listening via a stream, up from only 8% in the fourth quarter of 2016. 

In terms of future reports, broadcasters in Nielsen’s PPM markets can elect to have their online streams reported separately or combined with their over-the-air audiences via total line reporting.

Susan Ashworth is the former editor of TV Technology and a long-time contributor to Radio World. She has served as editor-in-chief of two
    housing finance magazines and written about topics as varied as
    broadcasting, education, chess, music, sports and the connected home environment.

The post Encouraging News for AM/FM Streaming appeared first on Radio World.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)