• [Radio World] BBC Shortwave to Ukraine? Yes, of Course. (1/2)

From Radio World via rec.radio.info Admi@21:1/5 to All on Mon Mar 7 17:11:45 2022
    XPost: alt.radio.broadcasting

Radio World

///////////////////////////////////////////
    BBC Shortwave to Ukraine? Yes, of Course.

Posted: 07 Mar 2022 12:08 PM PST https://www.radioworld.com/columns-and-views/readers-forum/bbc-shortwave-to-ukraine-yes-of-course

Dear Editor:

I am “shocked, shocked” to hear that BBC is using shortwave to get news and information into Ukraine and Russia. After abandoning shortwave as outdated
    and not necessary, one only has to look at the current conflict in Eastern Europe to see the value of shortwave.

We’ve all embraced the modern technologies as they come on line — but they’re fragile. Between the damage to the public internet infrastructure
    in the Ukraine, to Russia pulling the “plug” on citizens’ ability to access
    news networks outside of Russia, to the BBC trying to get people to use VPN (seriously?), it’s the antiquated, outdated shortwave that gets the message through.

[Check Out More Letters at Radio World’s Reader’s Forum Section]

There is a lesson to be learned here: Old tech is reliable, cost effective
    and gets the message through when nothing else does. The same can be said
    of AM here in the USA.

All of those “high tech” solutions, whether they are cellphones or the public internet, are prone to failure when you really need them the most. Let’s not abandon the tried and true “outdated” modes.

Comment on this or any topic. Email radioworld@futurenet.com.

The post BBC Shortwave to Ukraine? Yes, of Course. appeared first on Radio World.

Broadcasters Blame Big Tech for Diversity Deficits

Posted: 07 Mar 2022 11:50 AM PST https://www.radioworld.com/news-and-business/business-and-law/broadcasters-blame-big-tech-for-diversity-deficits

Broadcasters are pushing back hard on the Federal Communications
    Commission’s potential restoration of the mandate that broadcasters file data on the diversity of their workforces and that the data be available to the public, including by blaming Big Tech for some of broadcastings
    diversity recruiting problems.

The annual collection of Form 395-B data on workforce composition (race and gender) has been in limbo for two decades. The filing of the form was
    suspended in 2001 following an appeals court decision vacating part of the
    FCCs Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) requirements. Even though the
    FCC in 2004 revised the regulations on filing the form, broadcasters still
    did not have to file it due to unresolved issues about data
    confidentiality, issues the FCC is trying to resolve under Chair Jessica Rosenworcel.

In a notice of proposed rulemaking (NPRM) issued last July, the FCC said it wanted to “refresh” the record on Form 395-B data collection and related ”legal, logistical and technical issues” of potentially lifting the suspension.

But according to an ex parte filing at the FCC, executives from the
    National Association of Broadcasters, accompanied by 40 broadcasters — general managers, owners and others — from large and small companies and markets met with staffers for all the commissioners to push back on
    reinstating the form.

[See Our Business and Law Page]

The broadcasters said they are all for improving diversity, but said
    restoring the form “would do nothing to help achieve this aim, and in fact, could distract the FCC and industry from more effective actions.”

They suggested one of those actions would be for the FCC to “boost interest” in TV and radio jobs given that broadcasters already were doing “everything in their power to attract and retain diverse talent” against a Big Tech industry draining the workforce.

“Several broadcasters described the hurdles they face in trying to attract
    a diverse pool of qualified job candidates, or for that matter, any pool of qualified applicants,” the broadcasters told the FCC. “In their recent experience, many job applicants — regardless of race, ethnicity, or gender — are more interested in working for one of the Big Tech companies or some other outlet they perceive as more relevant or cutting-edge, and that
    typically can afford to pay higher salaries.“

The NAB has also argued to the FCC that the form would pressure
    broadcasters to give preferential treatment to candidates of a particular gender or race.

Taking quite a different view of the issue was the Multicultural Media, Telecom and Internet Council (MMTC), which had its own meeting last week
    with FCC officials.

MMTC took issue with some of the broadcaster pushback, saying that while “career-building opportunities that extol the benefits of broadcast employment are useful, they are not a substitute for enforcement of the EEO Rule.”

While the broadcasters told the FCC that they “already do everything in
    their power to attract and retain diverse talent,” the MMTC didnt see it
    that way. “[N]o amount of career enthusiasm can overcome the ill-will of an employer who chooses not to recruit or equally employ people of color or women,” the group said.

As to the suggestion the form would force broadcasters into unfair hiring practices, the MMTC said: “The reporting of EEO data — whether anonymously or publicly — does not ’pressure‘ licensees to hire preferentially on the basis of race or gender.”

Comment on this or any article. Email radioworld@futurenet.com.

The post Broadcasters Blame Big Tech for Diversity Deficits appeared first
    on Radio World.

New Ferrofish Multiformat Converters and Routers Make Debut

Posted: 07 Mar 2022 07:00 AM PST https://www.radioworld.com/tech-and-gear/products/new-ferrofish-multiformat-converters-and-routers-make-debut

Ferrofish recently introduced its updated A32pro and A32pro Dante
    multiformat converters and routers. The two new converters feature a newly designed black finish, updated front panel with remote control options and
    GPIO options for redundancy and DSP expansion.

The A32pro Series is intended for signal conversation and distribution for recording studios, live audio playback systems and broadcast audio
    facilities, and can also operate as a digital audio format converter and
    signal router. Audio signals can be freely converted between all analog and digital formats while being simultaneously routed to multiple destinations
    in blocks of eight channels, allowing for use in a range of professional
    audio applications. Multiple Ferrofish units can be connected in series to provide large numbers of audio channels in a minimal amount of rack-space thanks to redundant power supplies.
    Ferrofish AA32pro Dante Multiformat Converter

Featuring the latest generation of ESS Tech AD/DA converters, the A32pro
    and A32pro Dante offer multiple connectivity options in a single 1U frame.
    Both products feature 32 analog inputs and 32 analog outputs on fully
    balanced 25-pin D-sub connectors. On the digital side, both devices have support for up to 64 channels of MADI I/O via dual SFP slots, which can accommodate either optical or coaxial MADI SFPs and can run in tandem for
    added redundancy. Up to 32 channels of ADAT optical I/O is provided in each direction with full support to double sample rates of 96 kHz.

A dual-slot bay is provided for future DSP expansion, providing additional processing powered for both unit’s on-board SHARC DSP processor. They also offer a selection of remote-control option,s including Ferrofish’s free REMOTEFISH app. REMOTEFISH can control one or more Ferrofish devices,
    including all inputs, outputs, monitoring, routing and settings. The A32pro Dante includes 64×64 Dante I/O channels on dual Ethernet ports with
    redundant functionality.

Other features include a Stereo TRS Main Out with dedicated DAC monitoring path, 32×32 ADAT I/O channels on TOSlink jacks with 96 kHz support, 64×64 MADI I/O channels on LC Multimode SFP module, user exchangeable (with
    Optical Singlemode and Coax SFP module options available). The units
    feature word clock I/O on BNC connectors with proprietary jitter reduction circuit and MIDI I/O on 3.5-mm TRS connectors. The GPIO port is included
    for remote presets for switching and alert monitoring on dSub15. Also
    included is a dual stereo headphone quarter-inch TRS outputs with HQ-amp modules and a dedicated DAC.

Beyond a four-screen multitouch user interface, the converters feature an illuminated touch-sensitive high-res encoder.

The post New Ferrofish Multiformat Converters and Routers Make Debut
    appeared first on Radio World.

Indeed Theres an App for That

Posted: 07 Mar 2022 02:00 AM PST https://www.radioworld.com/columns-and-views/from-the-editor/indeed-theres-an-app-for-that-2

(Getty Images/Carolyn-Hebbard)

I’ve never quite gotten over the fascination of having a supercomputer in
    my pocket.

This is a kid who was thrilled to get his first electronic calculator, even though the most impressive thing I really ever did with the thing was to
    spell out “shell oil” upside down with the LCD digits.

Growing up, I too hoped for jetpacks and Dick Tracy wristwatches. But I
    don’t think I really expected ever to be able to have a face-to-face video conversation with my brother from hundreds of miles away on a high-quality screen in my hand.

Now such capability and many others are part of everyday life — if not exactly humdrum, then at least commonplace.

And just when I get accustomed to all the things I can do with my current iPhone, Apple comes out with an even better one. I have barely scratched
    what my current one can do, on its own or with third-party apps added. But
    I try to pause and appreciate how incredible these tools really are and how much information we can call on at will, compared to all of the humans who
    have lived before us.

I’m musing on this because of our story this week, in which I asked a bunch of our friends and readers to tell us about their most useful smartphone
    apps. Check it out, and let me know your own faves.

Meanwhile, thanks to the internet, I now know that the website Dr. Mike’s Math Games for Kids lists more than 230 words that work for the Upside-Down Calculator Word Game. My childhood “shell oil” would be:

That information makes me happy.

The post Indeed There’s an App for That appeared first on Radio World.

RMF Launches New Station for Ukrainian Refugees

Posted: 06 Mar 2022 11:02 AM PST https://www.radioworld.com/global/rmf-launches-new-station-for-ukrainian-refugees

An unidentified presenter in the Radio RMF Ukraina studio as posted to the stations Facebook page.

Just 30 hours after the idea was developed, RMF Ukraina began broadcasting
    on FM from Przemyślu, Poland, which is about 6 miles from the border with Ukraine.

The station was launched on Mar. 2 by RMF Grupa, part of the Bauer Media
    Group and the largest radio group in Poland.

“The Office of Electronic Communications immediately selected the frequency and issued approval for temporary broadcasting, which was agreed to by the KRRiT chairman. We are also very grateful to Emiel, which prepared the broadcasting station from which the program is broadcast within a few
    hours,” stated Andrzej Mielimonka, president of Multimedia Sp. z.o.o.,
    which oversees the RMF Maxxx network.

From Przemyślu, the station can reach people queuing to cross the border
    with information in Ukrainian and English about procedures for entering
    Poland, sources for assistance, healthcare, and job opportunities. The
    station does not carry advertising.

Public service broadcaster Polskie Radio is also working to reach displaced Ukrainians on both sides of the border. The broadcaster’s international service has long produced Ukrainian-language programming, which is
    distributed online and via longwave. It also has added real-time
    transmissions from UA: Ukrainian Radio’s first channel to its DAB
    multiplexes across the country.

The post RMF Launches New Station for Ukrainian Refugees appeared first on Radio World.

Sales Association Suspends Russian Members

Posted: 06 Mar 2022 09:44 AM PST https://www.radioworld.com/global/sales-association-suspends-russian-members

Following on the recent suspension and departure of Russian broadcasters
    from the European Broadcasting Union, the board of directors of egta, the global organization for radio and television sales houses, has suspended
    its relationship with its Russian members in response to the Russian
    invasion of Ukraine.

According egta, its Russian members included European Media Group (EMG),
    CTC Media’s Everest Sales, Gazprom-Media, Media-1, National Advertising Alliance (NAA), and Russian Media Group.

In a statement released on Mar. 3, the egta board of directors stated: “As
    an association built on cooperation across borders, we are deeply concerned
    by this tragic situation and strongly condemn Russia’s overt attack upon democracy and peace in Europe.

“As such, we stand in solidarity with the people of Ukraine and with all
    egta colleagues in the media and advertising industry, in Ukraine and
    Russia, who are unwillingly drawn into an unnecessary conflict.

“However, as a strong signal to its leadership and as part of the international effort to isolate Russia from the international community, we
    are suspending services to all Russian member sales houses. The suspension
    will remain in effect until further decision by the association’s next General Assembly.”

The association also noted that its members are involved in humanitarian actions and fundraisers in response to the invasion and subsequent refugee crisis. “Additionally, the association will donate €100,000 [$109,275] to both Ukrainian media and humanitarian institutions and invites other associations across Europe to consider similar measures,” according to the statement.

The post Sales Association Suspends Russian Members appeared first on Radio World.

BBC World Service Revives Shortwave to Russia, Ukraine

Posted: 06 Mar 2022 08:08 AM PST https://www.radioworld.com/global/bbc-world-service-revives-shortwave-to-eastern-europe

The BBC World Service tweet announcing the new shortwave broadcasts to
    Russia and Ukraine.

The BBC World Service is turning to shortwave radio to deliver trustworthy
    news to Russians, now that the Kremlin is blocking Western media websites’ reporting on Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.

There is apparently a hunger for alternatives to Putin’s propaganda among Russian-speakers. According to a March 2, 2022, BBC media release, “The audience for the BBC’s Russian language news website more than tripled its year-to-date weekly average, with a record reach of 10.7 million people in
    the last week (compared to 3.1 million). In English, bbc.com visitors in
    Russia were up 252% to 423,000 last week.” [The week cited by the BBC was Feb. 21–27, 2022; Russia troops entered Ukraine on Feb. 24. —eds.]

To help satisfy this hunger, the BBCWS announced it is broadcasting four
    hours of English news daily on two shortwave frequencies, both of which
    “can be received clearly in Kyiv and parts of Russia,” said a BBC media release. The additional shortwave frequencies are on 15735 kHz operating
    from 1400 to 1600 UTC and on 5875 kHz from 2000 to 2200 UTC. Eastern
    European Standard Time, where Kyiv is located, is two hours ahead of UTC;
    for reference, U.S. Eastern Standard Time is five hours behind UTC.

The BBCWS ended its Russian-language shortwave broadcasts in 2011. At that time, U.K. government budget cuts forced the BBCWS to eliminate five
    language services and focus seven others, including Ukrainian and Russian,
    on online, mobile, and television platforms.

In addition to BBCWS’s new service to Russia and Ukraine, Ö1, the main news channel for Austrian public service broadcaster Österreichischer Rundfunk
    has expanded distribution of morning, midday, and evening news programs to shortwave. “Ö1-Morgenjournal” can be heard on 6155 kHz at 0600 UTC, “Ö1 Mittagsjournal” on 13730 kHz at 1100 UTC and “Ö1 Abendjournal” on 5940 kHz
    at 1700 UTC.

“With this additional service, the Ö1 radio journals can be received easily by German-speaking listeners throughout Europe, including in Ukraine,”
    stated ORF Radio Director Ingrid Thurnher in a press release announcing the change.

Still, at least the BBCWS is back on shortwave to Russia and Ukraine. Other trusted Western Cold War powerhouses such as Radio Canada International are gone from the shortwave airwaves, their antennas torn down and their transmitters turned off.

“RCI was dismantled because of a lack of vision on how well and important
    an international service is,” said Gilles Letourneau, co-host of the “International Radio Report” program on CKUT-FM in Montreal and owner of the OfficialSWLchannel on YouTube. “Although Voice of America is still on air, it has changed its focus to Africa and Asia. Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty is still transmitting, but mostly using medium-wave frequencies
    rather than shortwave.”

When asked if VOA intends to revive shortwave broadcasts to Ukraine and
    Russia, a VOA public affairs officer noted, “Our research indicates there
    are few shortwave sets in use in that part of the world, so it’s not in our current plan to add shortwave broadcasts. However, we have begun a
    satellite TV station to provide additional content for eastern Europe and
    are exploring other methods of transmission.

It remains unclear how effective the new BBCWS shortwave broadcasts will actually be, given the decline of shortwave radio ownership/listening in
    the Internet Age. But Russians who still have shortwave receivers should be able to tune in.

“I noted that the new frequencies for BBCWS are making it quite well here
    in North America,” said Letourneau. “They should be quite good and easy to receive on small shortwave portable radios in Ukraine and Russia.”

“It is sad that BBCWS abandoned its Russian language service,” he added. “That would definitely be useful right now, especially as Russia dismantled all of its shortwave jamming transmitters in the 1990s.”

Russia may have diminished its ability to block shortwave broadcasts, but
    on Mar. 4 Roskomnadzor, the Russian government’s media supervision agency, announced it had blocked the websites of BBC, VOA, Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, Deutsche Welle and other foreign media outlets, according to
    Reuters.

In response, the BBC has promoted the use of VPNs, apps such as Telegram
    and Viber, and the privacy-focused Tor platform as ways to circumvent Roskomnadzor’s filters.

This article was updated on Mar. 7, 2022, to include a further statement
    from VOA on its plans regarding shortwave.

T. Carter Ross contributed to this story.

James Careless is an award-winning freelance journalist with experience in radio/TV broadcasting as well as A/V equipment, system design and
    integration. He has written for Radio World, TV Tech, Systems Contractor
    News and AV Technology, among others. Broadcast credits include CBC Radio,
    NPR and NBC News. He co-produces/co-hosts the “CDR Radio podcast” and is a two-time winner of the PBI Media Award for Excellence.

The post BBC World Service Revives Shortwave to Russia, Ukraine appeared
    first on Radio World.

Whats Your Favorite App?

Posted: 05 Mar 2022 02:00 AM PST https://www.radioworld.com/columns-and-views/from-the-editor/whats-your-favorite-app

The iOS App Store launched in 2008 with 500 apps, according to the Business
    of Apps website, which says that today, the App Store has 1.85 million different apps available to download, while Android users have 2.56 million
    on the Google Play Store.

We asked a few Radio World readers and contributors to name their favorite apps.
    1. Camera

Perhaps the most useful app of all, and easily overlooked is your phone’s camera.

“I constantly document wiring and changes with it so I can update drawings,” said RW contributor Dan Slentz. “Also, when working on gear or a transmitter, I tend to snap a lot of pics just in case I ‘misplace’ a wire or component so I remember where it went.”

Workbench readers know that columnist John Bisset has long preached often
    about the usefulness of your phone’s camera in troubleshooting and
    educating your boss about the work you do.
    2. SatFinder Lite

Randy Williams, chief engineer at Learfield, recommends SatFinder Lite
    from , free for Apple and Android users, as a tool to help in setup and alignment of a satellite dish or antenna.

“A user can program the satellite name or orbital slot from the list of satellites provided, and save to your settings. Then the app syncs to your phone’s internal GPS, compass and camera features, allowing you to point
    the camera of the phone toward the horizon. And it will display the
    satellite arc and the location of the satellite you are looking for by look angle.”

Williams says the app isn’t a precision instrument but will get you 95% of the way there in tuning your satellite antenna by giving you
    azimuth/elevation data from the camera lens to get a dish in the reception ballpark.

The app works for DirectTV, DishNetwork and C-Band satellite locations. 3. Luci Live Lite

Engineers like Greg Dahl of Second Opinion Communications and Tony Peterle
    of WorldCast Systems useCi various versions of Luci Live for audio
    streaming over IP. It’s made by Technica del Arte, which offers wideband codec apps for iPhone and Android.

“These are considered among broadcasters to be the easiest-to-use and best performing apps on the market,” writes Comrex in a tech note. There’s info on the Technica del Arte website about how to connect their apps to studio codecs from Comrex, Telos, Orban and other manufacturers.

“Even the SE version has everything I need,” says Tony Peterle. “Bidirectional stereo audio streaming with a variety of algorithms from
    which to choose. Very useful when trying to diagnose why a particular
    stream isn’t arriving at a particular site. Put Luci Live in the middle and find out which end has the blockage. Hint: It’s usually the receiving end, where public traffic has to transit a firewall, but it’s nice to be able to confirm and show that to others.”
    4. Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client

“Using a VPN for remote access to your facility’s network is critical to maintaining security and protecting against external attacks,” says Shane Toven, senior broadcast engineer for Educational Media Foundation.

“Depending on your network infrastructure, you may have a manufacturer specific client, or you may be able to use the client built into your
    phone’s operating system.”
    5. Microsoft Remote Desktop Client

“Microsoft Remote Desktop Services is a common means of accessing Windows systems remotely, and is built into most versions of Windows,” says Shane Toven. “It can be used in conjunction with a VPN client, or configured with
    a gateway server for external access.”

Use Microsoft Remote Desktop for iOS or Android to connect to a remote PC
    or virtual apps and desktops made available by the admin of your
    organization.
    6. Angry IP Scanner

“This app will scan the currently connected subnet, or any other reachable subnet, for active hosts,” says Paul Thurst, principal/owner of Data Wave. “It can also be used to find open ports. I like this particular IP scanner because there is also a PC version that operates the same way.”

This is free, open-source software written by Anton Keks, co-founder of Codeborne. It runs on Linux, Windows, and Mac OS X.

“Angry IP scanner simply pings each IP address to check if it’s alive, then optionally it is resolving its hostname, determines the MAC address, scans ports, etc. The amount of gathered data about each host can be extended
    with plugins,” according to its website https://angryip.org/. It has additional features, like NetBIOS information — computer name, workgroup name, and currently logged in Windows user — favorite IP address ranges,
    web server detection and customizable openers.
    7. Electrodoc Pro

Paul Thurst likes this app, formerly called Electrodroid, for its many
    useful collection of electronics tools and references including Ohm’s law, resistor color code, filers, voltage divider, reactance/resonance, resistor series/parallel, capacitor series/parallel, NE555 calculator and more, as
    well as converters including dB to Watt, frequency, and analog to digital.
    It also has an extensive list of pinouts.
    8. Units Plus Converter

“This is what it sounds like, a converter for almost any unit into any like unit,” says Paul Thurst.

The app, developed by Alan Mrvica, includes tools to convert area, computer data, fuel mileage, length, power, pressure, speed, temperature, time
    zones, volumes dry and wet, and weight/mass. It also can convert 155+ world currencies.
    9. Datadog

Another app recommended by Shane Toven of EMF. “This service allows you to create custom dashboards to monitor all of the systems and applications
    within your infrastructure at a glance. Its companion app makes those dashboards readily available on your smartphone or tablet.”

Datadog is a monitoring and security platform for cloud applications. It integrates and automates infrastructure monitoring, application performance monitoring and log management.

What’s your fave? Tell us your favorite app and why. Email radioworld@futurenet.com.

The post What’s Your Favorite App? appeared first on Radio World.

12 Stations in New England Risk License Expiration

Posted: 04 Mar 2022 12:33 PM PST https://www.radioworld.com/news-and-business/business-and-law/12-stations-in-new-england-risk-license-expiration

The Federal Communications Commission has published a list of a dozen radio stations in Connecticut and Massachusetts that are at risk of losing their licenses if they don’t hurry a renewal application to the FCC.

The stations are listed at the bottom of this story. Six of the 12 are
    LPFMs.

Dec. 1, 2021 was the deadline for broadcasters in New England to file for license renewal for terms expiring on April 1, 2022. Broadcasters in Maine,
    New Hampshire, Rhode Island and Vermont faced the same deadline but none
    made the list.

In Connecticut:

WPRX(AM), Bristol — Nievezquez Productions
    WWBW(LP), Higganum — Connecticut River Educational Radio
    WCSE(LP), Ledyard — Calvary Chapel of Southeastern Connecticut
    WNLN(LP), Niantic — New Haven Educational Radio Corp.
    WWEB(FM), Wallingford — Choate Rosemary Hall Foundation
    WCFC(LP), Willimantic — Calvary Fellowship of Willimantic

In Massachusetts:

WJXP(FM), Fitchburg — Horizon Christian Fellowship
    WHHB(FM), Holliston — Holliston High School
    WREA(LP), Holyoke — Radio Redentor
    WYOB(LP), Oak Bluffs — M&M Community Development
    WMWM(FM), Salem — Salem State College Board of Trustees
    WYAJ(FM), Sudbury — Sudbury Valley Broadcasting Foundation

The post 12 Stations in New England Risk License Expiration appeared first
    on Radio World.

Wedel Software Suspends Operations in Russia

Posted: 04 Mar 2022 12:19 PM PST https://www.radioworld.com/global/wedel-software-suspends-operations-in-russia

According to a LinkedIn post by Wedel Software CEO Raoul Wedel, the Netherlands-based company is halting its operations in Russia immediately.

“Today’s news out of Tsjernihiv and Borodyanka is heartbreaking and are war crimes. No company, person or organization should financially support a
    regime deliberately killing innocent civilians,” he wrote.

According to Reuters, 47 people were killed in Russian airstrikes on Tsjernihiv, also transliterated as Chernihiv, on Thursday, Mar. 3.
    According to Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, civilian areas in Borodyanka
    were hit by Russian airstrikes and artillery shells the same day.

Reached via email, Wedel said that the software company, which develops traffic, billing, sales, and other back-office tools for media companies,
    has had a portion of its R&D efforts in Russia for the past eight year and before that those efforts were in Ukraine for five years. In his post,
    Wedel noted that the company has “20 or so” employees in Russia.

“We have employees in Donetsk, Rostov-on-Don, Moscow and St. Petersburg,” stated Wedel. “None of them support this war, and they are just trying to provide for their families.”

Wedel said the company does not expect any short-term problems from pulling
    out of Russia, but it will need to regroup its R&D efforts in the near
    future. “Even if the war would end soon, the country will remain unstable
    and sanctioned as long as Putin is in power,” Wedel said.

“The decision was on one hand heartbreaking; on the other hand, I feel we have no choice, and people must unite against these war crimes,” wrote
    Wedel. “I hope this story will make more companies consider cutting all
    their ties with Russia.”

Wedel Software is headquartered in The Hauge, Netherlands, and has offices
    in New York, San Francisco, Mexico City, and Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

The post Wedel Software Suspends Operations in Russia appeared first on
    Radio World.

AEQ Notes Applications for Talent

Posted: 04 Mar 2022 09:00 AM PST https://www.radioworld.com/tech-and-gear/products/aeq-notes-applications-for-talent

AEQ has released an application note about its Talent codec, which was introduced last year. It said users who update their firmware can enable
    fresh applications for this desktop stereo IP device.

For combining voice delivery with external audio, a user can use the
    codec’s Bluetooth connection and/or line-in to connect it to a smartphone
    or PC and mix audio from files, streaming, voice notes and pre-recorded
    clips. The audio from the mic is mixed with the phone or external audio
    before transmission. Local program audio can also be sent to the phone, PC
    or audio device for recording and mixing.

For live interviews, a user can call by phone and remotely interview
    another person while sending the program to the studio. “Thanks to the Bluetooth connection, Talent can be connected to a smartphone and make live interviews by GSM telephony or through applications such as Skype,
    WhatsApp, Zoom and others, which give a higher quality to the interviewee’s voice,” according to the company.

The voice of the interviewee is mixed with the Talent microphone and sent compressed by IP to the studio console. Simultaneously the mic connected to Talent “is sent clean to the phone to keep the conversation going, although the interviewee can also be given feedback from the studio.”

And for audio at events such as sports, commentary can be sent from the microphone and mixed with the PA audio of the event using the Bluetooth connection or an auxiliary input. “With the help of apps, you can even use your phone as an external microphone for an interview or binaurally capture ambient sound.”

The post AEQ Notes Applications for Talent appeared first on Radio World.

Genelec Expands Smart IP Family

Posted: 04 Mar 2022 07:00 AM PST https://www.radioworld.com/tech-and-gear/products/genelec-expands-smart-ip-family

Genelec expanded its Smart IP line of installation loudspeaker systems with
    the compact 4410 model and a new Smart IP Controller app.

“The 4410 joins the existing 4420 and 4430 Smart IP models to cater to an even wider range of applications and room sizes, while the free Controller
    app provides the end user with instant and intuitive control of key
    loudspeaker system functions including mute, volume control and power
    on/off, plus overall zone control,” the company stated.

[continued in next message]

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)