• [RadioInsight] Philadelphia Inquirer: WHYY has lost at least half its j

From RadioInsight via rec.radio.info Adm@21:1/5 to All on Sat Feb 19 13:41:30 2022
    XPost: alt.radio.broadcasting

RadioInsight

///////////////////////////////////////////
    Philadelphia Inquirer: WHYY has lost at least half its journalists. Many complain about pay, morale and lack of innovation

Posted: 18 Feb 2022 04:56 PM PST https://www.inquirer.com/business/whyy-departures-leave-npr-philadelphia-public-radio-20220217.html

Hannah Byrom Joins WJXA Nashville's Mix Morning Show

Posted: 18 Feb 2022 03:29 PM PST https://radioinsight.com/headlines/220112/hannah-byrom-joins-wjxa-nashvilles-mix-morning-show/

Midwest Communications AC Mix 92.9 WJXA Nashville has announced the
    addition of Hannah Byrom to their morning show.

Byrom most recently co-hosted mornings at Cumulus Cat Country 96 WCTO
    Allentown PA until departing last October to relocate to Nashville. She
    began her career as part of Westwood One’s “Zach Sang The Gang” and has since co-hosted mornings at Country 102.5 WKLB Boston and CHR “Live 95.5” KBFF Portland, hosted middays at CHR 94.5 WPST Trenton, and
    weekends/fill-ins at 94.7 WNSH and 95.5 WPLJ New York.

She will join Sean Cash and Promo Joe Britton on the Mix Morning Show
    filling the slot most recently held by Ricki Smith. Cash and Britton
    themselves had only joined the morning show last August.

The Feel Good Is Spreading

Posted: 18 Feb 2022 10:00 AM PST https://radioinsight.com/blogs/219990/the-feel-good-is-spreading/

Is London’s Heart 106.2 the world’s most influential radio station? 

It was for at least a few days last week.

On Feb. 6, Ratings Expert Chris Huff called my attention to a relaunch of Dublin’s 98FM taking place that weekend. As reported locally, the station
    had shifted from Hot AC to a ‘90s and ‘00s-based Rhythmic AC, reminiscent of Heart and positioned around “Dublin’s Good Times.”

The next day, I took my First Listen to 98FM. While I was doing so, I got
    word that AC CHFM Calgary had rebranded as Star 95.9. The revamped station isn’t quite as rhythmic leaning as 98FM and Heart, but it does share a positioner with Heart, “Turn up the feel good.” 

I first wrote about Heart FM nearly 20 years ago—then an upset winner in
    the London market with a more rhythmic AC format than existed anywhere in
    the U.S. at the time. In the just-released December RAJAR numbers, Heart
    was up 4.0-4.9, making it the No. 1 commercial music FM in London.
    Nationally, it had a 5.3 share; 6.4 when you add its side channels
    (including ‘70s, ‘80s, ‘90s, and dance).

(The U.K.’s No. 1 music station, non-comm BBC Radio 2, is the music leader
    in London as well, up 11.6-12.6. We recently wrote about Radio 2 and the Canadian stations it influenced. On Feb. 14, CFXJ Toronto became the latest
    to run a similar talk/AC mix. That article has now been updated as well.)

I started listening to European radio when streaming radio revolutionized
    my listening habits in the late ‘90s/early ‘00s. That’s the center of 98FM.
    The Tina Moore song below was the dance mix of a U.S. R&B obscurity that
    was one of Capital FM London’s biggest songs at the time. It’s the second time Rhythmic AC has been tried in Dublin. Q102 has since evolved to a more mainstream AC; it’s the station using the “feel good” positioner in the market.

98FM’s current promotion is the “Cash Machine” (listen for the amount in the morning; text to win in the afternoon). When I listened, it was also
    the day that Oscar nominations were announced. Late middayer Barry Dunne
    and his newsperson were having some fun with the American inability to pronounce Ciarán Hinds’ name. Here’s 98FM at 2:45 p.m. on February 7:

Post Malone, “Circles”
    Girls Aloud, “Sound of the Underground”
    Armin van Buuren w/Trevor Guthrie, “This Is What It Feels Like”
    Flo Rida f/Sia, “Wild Ones”
    Tina Moore, “Never Gonna Let You Go”
    Gayle, “abcdefu”
    Franky Wah, “Come Together”
    Kanye West, “Gold Digger”
    David Guetta f/Little Mix, “Heartbreak Anthem”
    D-Ream, “Things Can Only Get Better”
    Avicii, “Addicted to You”
    Craig David, “Fill Me In”
    Dermot Kennedy, “Paradise”
    Christina Aguilera, “Candyman”

Heart’s current contest is an “artist of the day” promotion, “Make Me A Millionaire.” Daily winners can take £3,000 or enter in a million-pound drawing. I tuned in at the end of Heart Breakfast just in time to hear the promise “tomorrow, not one but two of the Pussycat Dolls. We’ll get them back together,” before middayer Pandora Christie, who was previously on
    both Capitol and rival Heart FM. Here’s Heart at 9:55 a.m., February 9:

Lady Gaga, “Bad Romance”
    Mark Morrison, “Return of the Mack’
    Joel Corry, Raye & David Guetta, “Bed”
    Sweet Female Attitude, “Flowers”
    Anne Marie, “2002”—she had stumbled on stage at the recent Brit awards; that led to the artist’s ankle getting its own Twitter account, Christie noted
    Goo Goo Dolls, “Iris”
    Clean Bandit, “Rather Be”
    LeAnn Rimes, “Can’t Fight the Moonlight”
    Elton John & Dua Lipa, “Cold Heart”
    Sonique, “It Feels So Good”
    Bruno Mars, “The Lazy Song”
    Mary J. Blige, “Family Affair”
    David Guetta w/Mr. Jam & John Newman, “If You Really Love Me (How Will I Know)”—an interpolation of the similarly named Whitney Houston hit
    Jessie J, “Domino”
    Taio Cruz, “Dynamite”

Rogers’ CHFM is the market’s longtime Mainstream AC. That format throughout Canada in general is somewhat newer/more rhythmic than its American counterpart. Rival Bell Media’s AC stations recently rebranded as “Move.” 
    The new Star 95.9 has a revamped lineup including a female morning duo,
    Billie Jo & Candice. Its hook promos promise “happy songs that everybody knows.” Here’s Star 95.9 on its first day, February 7 at 1 p.m.:

Britney Spears, “Baby One More Time”
    Loud Luxury f/Brando, “Body” (Canadian)
    Simple Minds, “Don’t You (Forget About Me)”
    Alessia Cara, “Sweet Dream” (Canadian)
    Calvin Harris f/Rihanna, “This Is What You Came For”
    Kelly Clarkson, “Stronger (What Doesn’t Kill You)”
    Shania Twain, “Man! I Feel Like a Woman” (Canadian)
    Selena Gomez & the Scene, “Love You Like a Love Song”
    The Weeknd f/Daft Punk, “I Feel It Coming” (Canadian)
    The Kid Laroi & Justin Bieber, “Stay”
    Felix Cartal f/Sophie Simmons, “Mine” (Canadian)
    Madonna, “Holiday”
    Ellie Goulding, “Love Me Like You Do”
    Jann Arden, “Could I Be Your Girl” (Canadian)
    Walk The Moon, “Shut Up and Dance”

93.3 Alt AZ Adds Izzy For Mornings

Posted: 18 Feb 2022 09:48 AM PST https://radioinsight.com/headlines/220103/93-3-alt-az-adds-izzy-for-mornings/

Hubbard Radio Alternative 93.3 Alt AZ KDKB Mesa/Phoenix has announced the addition of Izzy to their on-air lineup as morning host.

Izzy joins KDKB from Lotus Communications Rock 92.3 KOMP Las Vegas where
    she was part of B.S. In The Morning along with Dennis Huff and Graig
    Salerno. She also tracked middays at 105.1 The Blaze KKBZ Fresno after previously co-hosting mornings there from 2014 until her move to Las Vegas
    at the end of 2018. The Chicago area native began her career at Alternative 107.1 WPGU Champaign IL and has also worked in Danville and Springfield IL.

Izzy takes the morning slot at KDKB that has been vacant since the station dropped Premiere Networks Woody Show last October.

Ginny Brophey To Program WOKQ

Posted: 18 Feb 2022 05:00 AM PST https://radioinsight.com/headlines/220092/ginny-brophey-to-program-wokq/

Townsquare Media Country 97.5 WOKQ Portsmouth NH has appointed Ginny Rogers Brophey as Brand Manager.

Brophey most recently programmed iHeartMedia Country 101.7 The Bull WBWL Lynn/Boston MA from May 2018 until January 2020. She is best known for her
    23 year run at Beasley Media Country 102.5 WKLB Boston and predecessors
    99.5 WKLB and 96.9 WBCS mostly as APD/MD.

Country Aircheck reports that Brophey fills the opening created by the resignation of Sarah Sullivan last October as cluster Director of Content overseeing WOKQ and Classic Hits 102.1/105.3 The Shark WSAK Hampton/WSHK Kittery ME.

Station Sales Week of 2/18

Posted: 18 Feb 2022 04:30 AM PST https://radioinsight.com/headlines/220078/station-sales-week-of-2-18/

Colonial Radio Group sells Carolina Country 900 WNMB/103.7 W279EH North
    Myrtle Beach and 98.9 W255BZ/102.3 W272CV Myrtle Beach SC to Jose Laras
    Gorilla Broadcasting Company for $400,000. Colonial recently completed its acquisition of W255BZ and W272CV from Friends of Public Radio for $80,000.

Daryl O’Neals Township Media grows in Austin TX with the purchase of Gospel 1060 KFIT Lockhart from Darrell Martins KFIT Inc. for $695,000. Township
    will pay $555,000 for the station assets while co-owned Fortview Ventures
    LLC will pay $140,000 for the property. Township Media owns AAA Sun Radio
    1490 KTSN Austin as well as three simulcasting FMs outside the market:
    104.1 KMSN Mason, 96.3 KTHE Llano, and 96.3 KGID Giddings. An LMA of KFIT
    will take place ahead of closing. Once they complete their upgrade of 96.1 K241DA Austin to 96.3 from the West Lake Hills tower farm, which is
    permanently tied to KTSN, Township will need to originate programming on
    100.1 K261DW Austin from another signal with KFIT now filling that role.
    Mary Lopezs 103.9 K280GN had been licensed to rebroadcast KFIT, but is not
    part of this deal.

Moab Communications sells Country Canyon 97.1 KCYN Moab and Conservative
    Talk 1490 KCPX Spanish Valley/105.9 K290CS Moab UT to Craig Knotts AZED 5 Communications for $156,000.

Tom Mogushs Taconite Broadcasting sells Hot AC Q107 107.7 WMQT Ishpeming
    and ESPN UP WZAM Ishpeming/93.3 W227CJ Marquette/106.9 W295CX Marquette MI
    to the Keweenaw Bay Indian Community for $400,000.

Birach Broadcasting sells Regional Mexican 1490 KXLQ/95.7 K239CR Indianola
    IA to SIG Salas Investments Group Inc. for $550,000. The buyer has been operating KXLQ via LMA.

It's Time To Wake Up

Posted: 17 Feb 2022 02:00 PM PST https://radioinsight.com/blogs/219999/its-time-to-wake-up/

In the new documentary about the launch of WHTZ, Scott Shannon discussed
    how he arrived in New York one month prior to the sign-on of the station.
    When it debuted a month later, the first thing wasnt a fancy pre-produced launch package, but Shannon giving a station ID and five simple words, Its
    Time To Wake Up.
    document.createElement('audio');
    https://formatchange.com/audio/201.mp3

Those words would define what Z100 would go on to do as it launched a brand that will be celebrating its 40th birthday next year. The Z100 that debuted
    on that August morning was a shell of what it would be. Its studios were
    still being built, the transmitter was running at low power. Yet by the
    time the fall ratings books came out just five months later there it was
    well atop the market rankings with a 6.2 share in Arbitron and a massive
    9.5 share in Birchs ratings.

Z100 was a mass appeal juggernaut out of the gate. Its launch led to drops
    at Urban 98.7 Kiss-FM WRKS and 107.5 WBLS, Rhythmic 92.3 WKTU, Talk/Top 40 hybrid 660 WNBC, Rock/Top 40 95.5 WPLJ, AC 97.1 WYNY, and Talk 770 WABC
    (which had only given up the last vestiges of its Top 40 format a year and
    a half prior). Within a year of WHTZs launch, WKTU, WPLJ, and Rock 103.5
    The Apple WAPP, would all fully shift to Top 40 seeking to both stall the juggernaut and ride its coattails to greater success. One of two Country outlets in the market at the time, 106.7 Kick-FM WKHK dropped its format in January and attempted to fill the AC hole in the market between a wounded
    WYNY and the two remaining Beautiful Music stations; 93.1 WPAT-FM and 105.1 WRFM. The new 106.7 Lite-FM would go on to outlast all three and become a powerhouse brand in its own right.

Four months ago, Audacy, Shannons current employer took another station licensed to Newark NJ and debuted a new Classic Hip Hop format. 94.7 The
    Block WXBK would not hire a Program Director until seven weeks after it launched and will not have an on-air personality until a syndicated show
    hosted by Nick Cannon debuts next week. When the January monthly ratings
    are released on Tuesday, its weekly numbers project the station remaining
    in the low 1 share range.

Its not an apples-to-apples comparison. Unlike Z100, 94.7 has yet to find a
    way to move its transmitter from New Jersey to Manhattan leaving it with multipath and a lesser signal in parts of the region. But after the same
    amount of time on the air in an era where it should be so much easier to
    build word of mouth through social media, there is little engagement about
    the new brand in the city that invented Hip Hop.

Just as the jockless Variety Hits format took hold in Canada in the early
    2000s before spreading south to the United States, a new variant has spread from Edmonton to Calgary to Winnipeg and has now launched in Toronto. In
    many ways, the stations known as Now in Edmonton and Winnipeg and Today
    Radio in Calgary and Toronto, act as the anti-Jack. The music is much more pop-oriented and  contemporary. But most importantly it emphasizes personalities and audience interaction, two things that have gone by the wayside in an American radio marketplace full of pre-recorded multi-market voicetrackers.

93.5 Today Radio debuted on Monday with multi-person shows in mornings and afternoons and a solo midday host on day one. The station is emphasizing conversation as much as its music. In a world where listeners have
    unlimited options for listening to music or pre-recorded podcasts, the
    station is pushing something it can do that no streaming library or podcast
    can do: live interaction with its audience, not just recording a generic
    break that can be used on potentially dozens of stations read from a prep sheet. Giving audiences a reason to potentially stay tuned or wanting to
    get involved themselves.

It worked in the 1980s when Scott Shannon used his audience to be his promo team in the surge to the top of the ratings with talent that was usually
    always compelling to the audience. Now most talent are just there with very
    few breaking through. And it shows with most stations targeting listeners
    under 40 struggling.

There are some glimmers of hope, such as iHeart rolling out more
    multi-person afternoon shows at their Top 40 stations in New York and Philadelphia, yet overall the investment in on-air products and marketing
    the products has never been lower across the board. Perhaps the answer is
    in getting back to basics and emphasizing what makes radio unique amongst
    other audio platforms.

As Scott Shannon said, its time to wake up

Ketchup Chips, Coffee Crisp & Roots are all unique to our borders. But
    imagine being a newcomer to Canada and seeing milkin bags.
    Join the conversation. Drop in anytime. https://t.co/4pxg8q07op pic.twitter.com/JjW49fsNgR

- 93.5 Today Radio (@935todayradio) February 14, 2022

This posting includes a media file: https://formatchange.com/audio/201.mp3

WPGC Debuts The Good Morning Show

Posted: 17 Feb 2022 12:35 PM PST https://radioinsight.com/headlines/220072/wpgc-debuts-the-good-morning-show/

Audacy Hip Hop 95.5 WPGC Morningside MD/Washington DC will launch The Good Morning Show on Tuesday, February 22.

The show will be anchored by late-night host Todd B, who has been
    filling-in mornings since the end of the Joe Clair Morning Show last June.
    He will be joined by Monique Samuels, who is a cast member of OWNs Love Marriage: DC and was previously on Real Housewives of Potomac, comedian
    Jason Weems, producer D. Carter who moves from WPGCs Home Team afternoon
    show, and veteran news director Guy Lambert.

Audacy announced the addition of “The Good Morning Show” to WPGC 95.5 FM (WPGC-FM) in Washington, DC. Hosted by WPGC personality Todd B. along with multimedia personality Monique Samuels, comedian Jason Weems, executive producer and entertainment reporter D. Carter and WPGC news director Guy Lambert, the show will offer listeners all the music, content, information
    and giveaways to start the day. “The Good Morning Show” will be heard weekdays from 6:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. ET, beginning February 22.

“We are excited about the launch of the Good Morning Show on WPGC,” said Ivy Savoy-Smith, Senior Vice President and Market Manager, Audacy
    Washington D.C. “This eclectic group of individuals is sure to keep the DMV engaged and entertained in the mornings.”

“I am more than proud and excited to be the new morning show host at WPGC,
    a station that I have called ‘home’ for the bulk of my radio career,” said
    Todd B. “I am equally thrilled to be working with some ingenious and inspired co-hosts who are, first and foremost, great people!”

Todd B. is a radio veteran with over 25 years of experience on the air, including his most recent role as host of throwback music show “Reminisce Radio” and fill-in morning show host, both on WPGC 95.5. His multifaceted skills have allowed him to host the relationship themed night time talk
    show “Love, Talk Slow Jams,” romance-themed music show “The Coolout,” and
    “The Break Down,” a morning drive talk show which covered a wide array of subjects from politics to entertainment, also on WPGC. An HBCU graduate of Hampton University, Todd B. launched his radio career in 1995 and went on
    to distinguish himself as “Best Announcer” at the legendary WHOV, where he starred in an array of formats, traversing hip hop, RB, reggae, jazz, acid jazz, and gospel.

“Humbled is an understatement. I am so honored to be joining the new
    morning show as a co-host on this legendary radio station,” said Samuels. “Truly the DNA of the DMV, I have been a huge fan since I moved here in
    2003. All of my years of hosting and podcasting on my platforms have been
    for this moment. Who knew co-hosting as a guest with Todd B back in
    December, 2021 would turn into this incredible opportunity? Get ready for a team that will have you grinning from ear to ear with real talk, relatable conversation and hilarious energy.”

Samuels, a cast member on the OWN Network’s “Love Marriage: DC and former star on Bravo’s hit reality television series “The Real Housewives of Potomac,” is an entrepreneur, speaker, multimedia personality, writer,
    music artist and philanthropist. Samuels is the mastermind behind Not For
    Lazy Moms, a podcast and network of contributors sharing insights, tips,
    and stories about raising a family while working to achieve their own goals
    and dreams.

“I’m a B-more boy and product of the DMV, so joining the ranks of WPGC’s airwaves as a co-host of the new morning show is unreal to me,” said Weems. “We’ve assembled something really special and I can’t wait to make people damn near hit guard rails laughing on their morning commutes.”

A Baltimore native, Weems is a versatile stand-up comedian, radio host and actor. His extremely engaging and conversational style of comedy leaves audiences feeling like theyve just finished talking to a close friend.
    Weems attended Morgan State University, where he began his career in entertainment, hosting countless shows and events. His notable credits
    include NBC’s “Last Comic Standing,” FOX The Apollo. Weems’ acting has landed him national TV commercials for TBS, as well as starring in
    acclaimed independent films such as “Wits End.” His first hour-long comedy special, titled “Jason Weems Vol. 1: Intellectual Property,” was filmed in his hometown and released independently in 2010. In 2014, his online sketch series “The Lunchtime Show” premiered on Marlon Wayans’ comedy platform “What The Funny.” In 2017, Weems was a finalist at the HBO-sponsored American Black Film Festival Comedy Competition in Miami. His latest comedy special “Jason Weems: Unknown” was released nationally via Amazon Prime Video in 2020.

“I am so excited for the launch of our new morning show,” said D. Carter. “I started at WPGC four years ago as a street teamer and my dreams have literally come true in this building. I am excited to embark on a new
    chapter in my career and look forward to spicing up your morning commute
    with my new squad.”

D. Carter is a radio/media personality and industry professional with a background in artists and repertoire (AR). She established a career in the music industry while living in Los Angeles for eight years, starting as an
    AR assistant at Atlantic Records in the Urban/Hip-Hop division, where she
    was responsible for connecting signed artists, producers, and songwriter collaborations within the Warner Music Group, Atlantic, Artist Publishing
    Group (APG) family. After relocating to Washington D.C. to transition to
    radio, she worked alongside radio veteran DJ Flexx as producer and talent
    on his show “The Hometeam,” and part time on-air personality.

Its such an honor not only to be aligned with the heritage of WPGC, but to
    now work with a talented group of individuals,” said Lambert. “Each cast member is a guru at their craft. Our show will be informative, funny, and
    truly the fabric of what the DMV represents.”

Lambert has worked in broadcast radio for over 20 years, currently serving
    as the news director for WPGC 95.5. He is also the host of “Community Focus,” a one-hour weekly community affairs show on WPGC which highlights people and events of influence in the local community. Lambert’s history in radio expands across various markets and popular morning shows, including “The Donnie Simpson Show,” “The Big Tigger Show” and “Funky Larry Jones
    Morning Show.” He is also a correspondent on WTTG Fox 5’s “Like It or Not,” and has also served as an event host, emcee and entertainment correspondent nationwide.

Miguel & Holly Join Hits 96.1 Charlotte

Posted: 17 Feb 2022 07:05 AM PST https://radioinsight.com/headlines/220042/miguel-holly-join-hits-96-1-charlotte/

iHeartMedia CHR Hits 96.1 WHQC Shelby/Charlotte has announced the addition
    of former Hot 101.5 WPOI Tampa morning hosts Miguel Fuller and Holly
    O’Connor starting March 7.

Miguel and Holly departed WPOI earlier this month after seven years at the station. The duo joined WPOI joined WPOI in March 2015 from “Island 106” WILN Panama City. They previously worked in Tampa in mornings at CBS Radio
    Hot AC “Play 98.7” WSJT in 2011 and 2012 with current WWMX Baltimore morning host Steve Kramer as well as a previous stint at WILN.

They fill the opening created by the local cancellation of the syndicated
    Ace TJ Show last August. WHQC had served as the local flagship for the program.

iHeartMedia Charlotte’s HITS 96.1, Charlotte’s #1 For All The Hits, announced today that renowned on-air personalities Miguel Fuller and Holly
    O’ Connor are coming to the HITS 96.1 morning airwaves with the debut of a new show, “Miguel Holly,” effective March 7. “Miguel Holly” will broadcast weekdays from 6-10 a.m.

On-air personalities Miguel and Holly are true local content enthusiasts,
    known for having natural and infectious chemistry that delivers a fun and interactive morning show.

“I am so excited to welcome Miguel Holly to Charlotte and iHeartMedia,” said A.J., Senior Vice President of Programming for iHeartMedia Charlotte
    and Raleigh. “They hold a winning track record and I’ve always appreciated how quickly they make a strong personal connection with their audience,
    lean into and embrace their local community, and provide a place where listeners can experience pop culture moments together.”

“It is evident that Miguel and Holly strive to be the best every day,” said Dave Carwile, President for iHeartMedia Charlotte. “I am confident that
    they will quickly engage with a sensational morning show and build strong relationships with our listeners and the local advertising community in Charlotte and the Carolinas.”

“Holly and I are absolutely honored to join the iHeartRadio family as we’ve always admired the company’s cutting-edge approach in keeping listeners and advertisers connected,” said Miguel. “I am so thankful that Holly and I get to continue to work together and host a morning show that will bring new,
    fun and genuine energy to The Queen City every morning!”

“Miguel and I met for the first time at a radio conference in Charlotte
    back in 2008,” said Holly. “We’ve come full circle and will now work together in the same city where it all began. Words can’t describe how excited we are to get started at our new home, HITS 96.1. We are so
    grateful to the entire iHeartMedia senior leadership team for this opportunity.”

University of Louisville Moves To WLCL/WGTK Tandem

Posted: 17 Feb 2022 06:47 AM PST https://radioinsight.com/headlines/220038/university-of-louisville-moves-to-wlcl-wgtk-tandem/

The University of Louisville is ending its decades long partnership with iHeartMedia News/Talk 840 WHAS and Sports 790 WKRD Louisville and moving
    its sports play-by-play to the Louisville First Media Group as of July 1.

Louisville First Media Group is a partnership of Union Broadcasting where
    the games will air on Sports 93.9 The Ville WLCL Sellersburg IN and Word
    Media Group, who will air the games on Conservative Talk 970 The Answer
    WGTK Louisville. The two stations will carry all University of Louisville Football, mens and womens basketball, and baseball games in addition to seasonal football and basketball coaches shows. The daily Cardinal Insider show, which is currently heard from 6-7pm weekdays on WKRD, will air on
    WLCL, WGTK and Word Media Group Sports Big X 1450 WXVW/96.1 W241CK Jeffersonville IN.

iHearts WHAS previously served as flagship for Louisville football and basketball, but in a secondary position to their coverage of the University
    of Kentucky. All conflicting games were bumped to WKRD.

University of Louisville Athletics and its multimedia rightsholder, LEARFIELD’s Louisville Sports Properties, have announced a landmark
    agreement with the Louisville First Radio Group.  Notably, ESPN 93.9 FM
    ‘The Ville’ and WGTK 970 AM will carry all Cardinal programming and be the primary, dedicated radio home for fans and the flagship for the Louisville Cardinals Radio Network.

This marks the first time UofL’s football, men’s and women’s basketball and
    baseball games, as well as the seasonal football and basketball coaches’ shows, will be broadcast by the same radio partner.  All Louisville
    Cardinals games and coaches’ shows will have priority clearance and will be simulcast on both 93.9 FM and 970 AM.  If two Louisville programs are
    playing at the same time, the signals will be split to accommodate both broadcasts.  Under LEARFIELD’s prior agreement, nearly two-thirds of UofL games were subject to be moved from the flagship station due to conflict
    with other live sports programming.  The multi-year agreement, which begins
    on July 1, 2022, also calls for Cardinal Insider to air Monday through
    Friday on three signals throughout the year – 93.9 FM, 970 AM and 1450 AM.

Additionally, all on-air broadcast talent for UofL games remains the same.
    Paul Rogers, iconic voice of the Cardinals, will continue to anchor the broadcast team for the Louisville Cardinals Radio Network alongside the familiar Cards’ personalities and analysts.

“This is tremendous news for UofL fans,” said Josh Heird, University of Louisville interim athletic director. “For the first time ever, our fans
    will have one radio home to listen to Cards’ football, basketball and baseball programming in the Louisville market. While we appreciate the
    longtime relationship with iHeart, this is a brilliant move for the Cards
    and for our fans, where we’ll have dedicated, premier coverage as the city’s hometown team.”

The Louisville First Radio Group, a joint venture of Louisville’s ESPN
    Radio and Word Media Group, owns 93.9 FM ‘The Ville’ and WGTK 970 AM respectively. LEARFIELD is currently finalizing a statewide network lineup
    that will offer Cardinal fans greater coverage throughout the
    Commonwealth.  As a complement to this new, momentous relationship with the university, UofL fans can anticipate even more programming with the
    addition of a Louisville Cardinals Baseball coaches’ show in spring 2023.

“We are so proud to be able to call ourselves the new home of the Cards,” said Drew Deener, vice president of ESPN Louisville and morning show host.  “UofL athletics will always be our top priority on 93.9 FM The Ville. We can’t wait to hear the legendary voice of Paul Rogers on our airwaves starting this fall.”

“This is a special moment for Word Media Group.  The Cards returning home
    to 970 is an opportunity of a lifetime and a dream come true for the staff
    and team of Word Media Group.  We are very proud and excited to put
    Louisville First on 970,” added Troy Miles, Word Media Group’s general manager.

“Louisville fans are loyal, passionate and proud, as they should be, and
    this new flagship agreement really is something special for them,” said Rogers. “Fans can be assured when the Cards are playing they’ll be able to listen to the live game action from start to finish. Aligning with
    Louisville First also allows more fans to hear our women’s basketball and baseball games with the increased coverage.”

Now, and moving forward, fans can still hear live games and coaches’ shows GoCards.com and The Varsity Network app, which is free to download. The
    Varsity Network carries the exact radio play-by-play from Rogers and the
    UofL broadcast team.

Louisville Sports Properties is the locally based multimedia rights team
    that works alongside Heird and the entire UofL athletics administration on
    all aspects of the LEARFIELD relationship. The team facilitated the new agreement with Louisville First Radio Group on behalf of the university.

About The Louisville First Radio Group

The Louisville First Radio Group is a joint venture of Union Broadcasting, Inc.’s “ESPN Louisville” station group and Word Media Group. Union Broadcasting, Inc. owns and operates stations in Louisville (93.9 ‘The Ville’, ESPN 680), Shelbyville/Frankfort (ESPN 105.7 FM), Kansas City
    (Sports Radio 810 WHB, ESPN Kansas City 94.5 FM and 1510 AM), and Wichita
    (ESPN Wichita 92.3 FM). The stations feature award winning live sports talk offering Louisville fans 16 hours of local programming every weekday, the
    best sports reporting, and features top sports broadcasters, national personalities and high-profile athletes and coaches. More information on
    ESPN Louisville is available online at ESPNLouisville.com.

Word Media Group is one of Kentuckiana’s largest broadcast groups. It operates 88.5 WJIE, 970 WGTK, 94.7/900 WFIA, and 1450/96.1 WXVW as part of
    its radio operations and WBNA TV and WBNM TV as part of its television operations. Word operates a variety of radio formats. WGTK is a news talk station that features one of the areas strongest signals. WGTK is the
    longtime home of Trinity Athletics. WXVW features 9 hours of Local sports
    talk M-F and is Home of the Colts, Indiana Pacers, Indiana Hoosiers,
    Western Kentucky, IHSAA sports, and The Mike Rutherford Show.

Colin Mathews Joins WLTO As Program Director

Posted: 17 Feb 2022 06:30 AM PST https://radioinsight.com/headlines/220047/colin-mathews-joins-wlto-as-program-director/

Cumulus Media CHR Hot 102.5 WLTO Nicholasville/Lexington KY has announced
    the addition of Colin Mathews as Program Director.

Mathews most recently served as morning co-host at Federated Media Hot AC

[continued in next message]

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)