• [RadioInsight] The Verge: Spotify Acquires Music Trivia Game Heardle

From RadioInsight via rec.radio.info Adm@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jul 12 13:26:12 2022
    XPost: alt.radio.broadcasting

RadioInsight

///////////////////////////////////////////
    The Verge: Spotify Acquires Music Trivia Game Heardle

Posted: 12 Jul 2022 07:48 AM PDT https://www.theverge.com/2022/7/12/23205078/spotify-heardle-acquisition-music-discovery-wordle-game

Danielle Murr To Serve As Interim Morning Co-Host At WKLB

Posted: 12 Jul 2022 07:43 AM PDT https://radioinsight.com/headlines/232660/danielle-murr-to-serve-as-interim-morning-co-host-at-wklb/

Beasley Media Country 102.5 WKLB Boston has announced that Danielle Murr
    will serve as interim morning co-host while Ayla Brown takes time off
    starting later this month to give birth.

Murr previously served as co-host of The Greg Hill Show on Rock 107.3 WAAF
    and then Sports 93.7 WEEI-FM from 2005 until departing in March 2021. She
    will join Jonathan Wier in mornings while Brown is on maternity leave.

Beasley Media Group Boston announces Country102.5/WKLB-FM Morning
    Personality Ayla Brown will be taking maternity leave to give birth to her
    son Barrett later this month. Long time Morning Drive Personality, Danielle Murr, formerly of Boston’s Greg Hill Show, will fill-in while Ayla is away.

“We are so happy for Ayla as she embarks on an amazing journey with her family during maternity leave,” said WKLB-FM Assistant Program Director and Marketing Director, Dawn Santolucito. “We wish her all the best and can’t wait to meet the little guy!”

She added, “Danielle’s morning drive experience, New England roots and ability to connect with listeners made her the perfect addition to our
    morning show while Ayla is on leave. We are both excited and fortunate to have her join the Country 102.5 team over the next several weeks!”

“I love radio, Boston, and country music, so I’m beyond thrilled to be dipping back into the world of morning drive in my hometown, especially in
    a format that I enjoy so much. I’m honored to have been tapped to join the incredibly talented team at WKLB!” said Danielle Murr.

Matt Pauley Joins KMOX As Sports Open Line & Cardinals Host

Posted: 12 Jul 2022 07:09 AM PDT https://radioinsight.com/headlines/232649/matt-pauley-joins-kmox-as-sports-open-line-cardinals-host/

Audacy News/Talk 1120 KMOX/98.7 K254CR St. Louis has announced the addition
    of Matt Pauley to the station to host Sports Open Line from 6-8pm and serve
    as pre and post-game host for St. Louis Cardinals baseball.

Pauley joins KMOX from Good Karma Brands in Milwaukee where he spent the
    past six years as pre-game and post-game host for Milwaukee Brewers
    baseball on 620 WTMJ and as a baseball reporter for ESPN Milwaukee 94.5
    WKTI. Pauley also served as play-by-play voice for University of Wisconsin-Green Bay womens basketball and was a fill-in host/anchor for
    WTMJ and WKTI as well as an update anchor and host for SportsMap Radio. The
    St. Louis native also has served as PD/afternoon host for Sports Xtra 1300
    KCSF Colorado Springs.

Pauley succeeds Kevin Wheeler who moved to KMOXs midday show in May.

Audacy has announced the addition of Matt Pauley to News Radio 1120 AM and
    98.7 FM KMOX in St. Louis. Pauley will host the station’s evening show “Sports Open Line” weekdays from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. CT beginning July 18. Pauley will also host the station’s flagship pregame and postgame coverage for the St. Louis Cardinals Radio Network.

“Matt’s extensive experience covering professional baseball makes him an ideal person to carry the torch and lead ‘Sports Open Line,’” said Becky Domyan, Senior Vice President and Market Manager, Audacy St. Louis. “We’re excited to welcome him into this role as the Cardinals contend for another title.”

“To say I am excited to join KMOX and the Cardinals Radio Network is beyond an understatement,” said Pauley. “To be able to come home to work for one of the most legendary stations in the country is a dream come true. There
    is no show in the country that can match ‘Sports Open Line’ when you look at the various people who have hosted it through the years and I am humbled
    to now be in that chair. I also can’t wait to talk to Cardinals fans across the country on a nightly basis. Their passion is unrivaled and we will experience the highs and lows of the season every night together.”

A St. Louis native, Pauley joins KMOX after spending the last six years in Milwaukee with WTMJ Radio and ESPN Milwaukee, covering the Brewers. He
    hosted local pre-game and post-game shows on WTMJ in addition to
    contributing to the station’s overall coverage of the team by making appearances on shows, filing reports used in news and sportscasts and
    providing digital content, which included podcasts, videos and columns.
    Pauley also filled-in as a host and anchor on both WTMJ and ESPN Milwaukee.
    He also served as the radio play-by-play voice of the University of
    Wisconsin – Green Bay women’s basketball team. Pauley also spent the last six years working for the nationally syndicated “SportsMap Radio” network, providing sports updates to radio stations across the country while also regularly hosting sports-talk shows on the network.

Prior to his time in Milwaukee, Pauley was the program director and
    afternoon drive host for All-Sports KCSF-AM in Colorado Springs, CO. He
    also worked as a play-by-play broadcaster for the Triple-A Colorado Springs
    Sky Sox, who were the top affiliate of the Rockies and then the Brewers
    during his tenure. His other play-by-play assignments in Colorado Springs included Air Force Academy athletics on the Mountain West Network and
    college and high school sports on local and regional cable and streaming outlets.

Pauley succeeds Kevin Wheeler, who recently transitioned to host KMOX’s midday show alongside Amy Marxkors and Chris Rongey.

More Changes On The Way In Vancouver

Posted: 12 Jul 2022 06:20 AM PDT https://radioinsight.com/headlines/232636/more-changes-on-the-way-in-vancouver/

Following the flip of Hot AC Kiss Radio CKKS-FM to Alternative Sonic, two
    more format changes are imminent in Vancouver.

Durham Radio will launch Smooth AC Wave 98.3 CIWV-FM on Monday, July 18.
    The station, which is currently testing its signal with programming from Durhams similarly formatted 94.7 CHKX-HD2 Hamilton ON, has been silent
    since the sign-off of Roundhouse Radio CIRH-FM in 2018.

When the new brand launches, it will feature Tara Jean Stevens in mornings. Stevens had been hosting afternoons on CKKS-FM until its flip to
    Alternative and has also co-hosted mornings at Virgin 95.3 CKZZ from 2009
    to 2012 and 96.9 Jack-FM CJAX-FM from 2012-2017. She also has hosted
    Breakfast Television on City-TV Vancouver.

Meanwhile the signs of an upcoming format change at Pattison Media
    Alternative 102.7 The Peak CKPK-FM continue to grow stronger. We first
    reported in our 6/29 Domain Insight that Pattison has been sitting on 1027NowRadio.com and .ca since 2020 for CKPK-FM for the growing “Social Radio” format it operates in Calgary, Edmonton, and Winnipeg. Now Christy Farrell and Fraser Tuff, morning hosts at said formatted 101.5 Today Radio CKCE-FM Calgary, have announced they will be departing their station after
    six years for an opportunity within our company in Vancouver.

CKPK, now one of three Alternative stations in Vancouver, was already the lowest rated FM in the market with a 2.9 share in the Spring 2022 Numeris ratings.

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by CHRISTY & FRASER (@christyandfraser)

For more than two decades, Tara Jean Stevens has been a part of Vancouver’s radio, television and theatre scene. She’s known for her number one shows
    on JACKfm and Virgin 953 and as a host on Breakfast Television. Most
    recently Tara Jean held down the afternoon drive home show on Kiss radio.

Tara Jean (or “TJ”) is a captivating storyteller with an infectious spirit of fun and curiosity. A two-time winner of the British Columbia Association
    of Broadcasters’ “Performer of the Year” award, Tara Jean is also an award-winning playwright and alumnus of “Bard on the Beach.” She is the host and creator of the very personal and popular podcast, “Heaven Bent.”

In her spare time, she is an amateur-sleuth, world traveller and hockey mom.

WAVE 98.3 is thrilled to welcome Tara Jean to the team, launching “Tara
    Jean in the Morning” Monday July 18th in Vancouver on WAVE 98.3, nationwide on RadioPlayer Canada and around the world on all your favourite streaming services.

WAVE 98.3 is Vancouver’s Coolest Vibe, owned and operated by Durham Radio Inc., an independent Canadian broadcaster with 7 radio stations in Ontario
    and British Columbia.

Greg Obata Joins Horizon Broadcasting Group As Market Manager

Posted: 12 Jul 2022 05:25 AM PDT https://radioinsight.com/headlines/232630/greg-obata-joins-horizon-broadcasting-group-as-market-manager/

Horizon Broadcasting Group, LLC has appointed broadcast industry veteran
    Greg Obata as Market Manager/General Sales Manager for its cluster of radio stations in Bend, Oregon, effective July 11, 2022.

“I’m excited to welcome Greg to Central Oregon to lead our terrific group of broadcasters. He has enjoyed success in markets large and small
    throughout his career and I look forward to working with him at Horizon Broadcasting Group to help our customers grow their business,” said Keith Shipman, the company’s President & CEO.

“I am ecstatic to join Keith and the crew at Horizon Broadcasting Group.
    What a great opportunity to help HBG and the staff reach new levels of
    success, grow the business of our current and new clients, and be a part of
    the helping community in Central Oregon. It will be a lot of fun.”

Obata brings over four decades of broadcast leadership experience to
    Horizon Broadcasting Group. He has served as Director of Sales at KPTV-TV/KPDX-TV Portland, General Sales Manager for KCPQ-TV Seattle-Tacoma
    and Local Sales manager of KIRO-TV Seattle. He spent three years as Senior
    Vice President/Director of Sales at Interep Corporation’s Major Market
    Radio in Los Angeles.

He has owned and managed World Class Media, LLC, a full-service advertising agency in Issaquah, WA, for the past 15 years.

Obata has been an active participant in the non-profit community throughout
    his career, serving in leadership and volunteer roles at Nikkei Concerns/Seattle, Boys and Girls Clubs of King County, the Kelly Foundation
    of Washington, Special Olympics of Washington, and the Portland and Seattle Advertising Federations, among others.

A Seattle native, he is a graduate of the University of Washington and The Wharton School of Business at the University of Pennsylvania. Greg and his
    wife Katrina have an adult son who resides in Bellevue, WA and will make
    their home in Bend. He enjoys hiking, tennis, music, pickle ball and
    hanging out with their dog Meeka.

Horizon Broadcasting Group, LLC owns or operates five radio stations in
    Central Oregon, including KQAK-FM (105.7, Classic Hits), KWPK-FM (The PEAK 104.1, Hot AC), KRCO-FM (95.7 The Ranch, Classic Country), KBNW-AM (104.5
    FM |1340 AM, News/Talk), and KRCO-AM (Sports Radio 96.9 The Ticket,
    Sports). The company also operates a community web portal – www.MyCentralOregon.com.

KTVI-TV: Jeff Burton of 105.7 The Points The Rizzuto Show On Hospice

Posted: 11 Jul 2022 04:33 PM PDT https://fox2now.com/news/missouri/jeff-burton-of-105-7s-the-rizzuto-show-on-hospice/

Shaila Scott Sues WBLS For Discrimination & Retaliation

Posted: 11 Jul 2022 11:49 AM PDT https://radioinsight.com/headlines/232494/shaila-scott-sues-wbls-for-discrimination-retaliation/

Former 107.5 WBLS New York midday host Shaila Scott is suing MediaCo and
    Emmis Communications for discrimination and retaliation.

Scott, real name Amilee Cattouse, exited WBLS at the end of May after a
    decade on the station. She worked at WBLS from 1988 to 1994 when she moved
    to “98.7 Kiss-FM” WRKS. She would return to WBLS following the merger of its and WRKS IP in April 2012.

In the lawsuit, Cattouse alleges that she was paid less than her male
    peers, fired at the age of 59 and replaced by someone approximately 25
    years younger, and MediaCo withheld her

severance unless she promised not to sue the company for discrimination, including violations of the equal pay laws.

Scott was replaced on the WBLS lineup earlier this month by the addition of
    new afternoon host Nicole ‘JusNik’ Prempeh, while Deja Vu moved from afternoons to middays.

Wigdor LLP and Gilda L. Kramer & Associates, LLC, represent Amilee
    Cattouse, better-known-as Shaila Scott, a legendary New York on-air radio personality at WBLS.  On behalf of Ms. Scott, we filed the attached federal lawsuit against MediaCo Holding Inc. (“MediaCo”) and Emmis Communications Corporation (the current and former owners of WBLS and its sister station
    HOT 97), in connection with Ms. Scott’s dismissal.
    Below is a summary of the allegations in the Complaint:
    Ms. Scott has had an extraordinary thirty-plus year career as an on-air
    radio personality in New York, the most competitive market in the United States.  She has been referred to as “Radio Royalty” and has won numerous awards, including being named “One of the Top 30 Radio Personalities in the Country.”  She hosted one of the top-rated, non-syndicated programs at WBLS and HOT97.  But none of that mattered to the corporate managers as
    MediaCo.  As alleged in the complaint, Defendants not only paid Ms. Scott
    less than her male peers but MediaCo fired her at age 59 and hired a replacement who is approximately 25 years younger.  Ms. Scott further
    alleges that MediaCo withheld her severance unless she promised not to sue
    the company for discrimination, including violations of the equal pay laws. Statement from Valdi Licul, Partner at Wigdor LLP:
    “This is yet another troubling example of the hurdles faced by even the
    most accomplished women.  They are paid less than men who perform the same
    job and then discarded when they reach a certain age.  Thankfully, Ms.
    Scott is one of the brave women who has decided to fight back.”
    Statement from Shaila Scott:
    “I am shocked and saddened that WBLS decided that when I reached 59, it was time to discard me.  I dedicated my career to radio and to the fans that listen, who I will miss greatly.  I hope my decision to speak up will shine
    a light on the realities that women still get paid less than men for the
    same job and at a certain age, they are no longer valued.”

Taking too long?

Reload document
    |

Open in new tab

Topeka Move-In Stunting Ahead Of Format Launch

Posted: 11 Jul 2022 10:19 AM PDT https://radioinsight.com/headlines/232470/topeka-move-in-stunting-ahead-of-format-launch/

Intrepid Companies has completed its move-in and upgrade of 96.9 KQRB
    (formerly KDVB) Effingham KS into the Topeka market and has begun stunting ahead of launching its new format on Thursday, July 14 at 12pm.

Donald and Denise Sherman’s Intrepid Companies purchased then KDVB in March 2021 for $300,000. Intrepid upgraded the signal to a Class C2 with
    50kW/114m to cover both Topeka and Lawrence. The station previously
    simulcasted Classic Rock “V100” KDVV Topeka.

KQRB is currently stunting with a mix broad mix of music. Many of the songs include the word Beat in the title such as The Go-Gos We Got The Beat,
    Michael Jackson Beat It, Taylor Dayne With Every Beat Of My Heart, and
    Celine Dion Where Does My Heart Beat Now. Other songs are less obvious with their connection to the potential format such as Toby Keith How Do You Like
    Me Now, Led Zeppelin Stairway To Heaven, David Bowie Fame, and Prince 1999.

Cumulus originally won the KDVB license in an FCC Auction in 2004 where it
    was originally to operate on 96.7 in Humboldt NE. They applied to move it
    to Effingham as a C2 in 2007 but only built out as a low powered Class A
    once Cumulus cancelled its plans to move 107.7 KMAJ-FM into the Kansas City market preventing the company from fitting KDVB within the ownership limits
    in its Topeka cluster.

The Shermans previously owned a cluster in Wichita KS and operated one
    station in Wichita Falls TX.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)