• [RadioInsight] iHeartMedia Quickly Fills Quad Cities Classic Hits Hole

From RadioInsight via rec.radio.broadcas@21:1/5 to All on Fri Sep 24 21:29:14 2021
    XPost: rec.radio.info

RadioInsight

///////////////////////////////////////////
    iHeartMedia Quickly Fills Quad Cities Classic Hits Hole

Posted: 24 Sep 2021 04:33 PM PDT https://radioinsight.com/headlines/213284/iheartmedia-quickly-fills-quad-cities-classic-hits-hole/

Hours after Townsquare Media flipped Classic Hits 104.9 KIIK-FM DeWitt IA
    to Country US 104.9, iHeartMedia has moved to fill the vacated Classic Hits position.

Classic Rock Q106.5 KCQQ Davenport flipped to Classic Hits as Big 106.5 at
    1pm today, just three hours after KIIK-fM made its move. The station is
    listing core artists as Billy Joel, Elton John, Journey, Queen, Aerosmith, Prince, Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, Bon Jovi, and Def Leppard with a Rock
    leaning 1980s based playlist.

KCCQ will retain the syndicated Bob Tom Show in mornings and local host
    Mark Manuel in afternoons.

KCCQ ranked fourth in the Quad Cities market with a 4.8 share in the Spring 2021 Nielsen Audio ratings. It however trailed Townsquare Medias Classic
    Rock 97X WXLPs 9.9 share.

TUDN Radio Adds FM Simulcast In Houston

Posted: 24 Sep 2021 03:11 PM PDT https://radioinsight.com/headlines/213279/tudn-radio-adds-fm-simulcast-in-houston/

Univision will flip 93.3 KQBU-FM Port Arthur/Houston TX from a simulcast of Spanish CHR Latino Mix 104.9 KAMA-fM Deer Park to Spanish Sports TUDN
    93.3/1010 simulcasting 1010 KLAT Houston on Monday, September 27.

The station will run Univisions TUDN Deportes Radio network programming
    along with a local show “Encanchados” from 10am-12pm hosted by Cesar Procel debuting Monday. Porcel joined then Hispanic Broadcasting Corporation
    Houston as part of the promotions department. He later served as a producer
    and co-host of the Raul Brindis Show from 2002 until last month when he
    joined TUDN.

KLAT/KQBU-FM will carry Spanish language broadcasts on MLBs Houston Astros, NBAs Houston Rockets, MLS Houston Dynamo, Texas AM University football plus
    the national soccer broadcasts from Liga MX, MLS, UEFA Champions League,
    and the Mexican and US men’s and women’s national teams.

First Listen: Don Geronimo on Big 100

Posted: 24 Sep 2021 12:00 PM PDT https://radioinsight.com/ross/213201/first-listen-don-geronimo-on-big-100/

I first heard Don Geronimo on Washington, D.C., radio in summer 1980, doing nights on WPGC, then in the middle of a Top 40 battle with WRQX (Q107). In
    the intervening years, Geronimo and co-host Mike O’Meara would become Top
    40 WAVA’s morning superstars, later moving to afternoons at hot talk WJFK
    and syndication. Geronimo had an on-and-off retirement in the late
    ‘00s/early ‘10s, including a stint on N/T radio in Sacramento, Calif. He hosted a podcast from 2014-19. It was a career both exceptional and typical
    of radio’s changes.

You don’t hear a lot about well-known personalities either switching
    stations or returning to the airwaves these days. As Radioinsight’s Lance Venta noted, “There are very few talents available in a given market with
    the ability to potentially move the needle and bring lapsed listeners back
    to radio.” This morning, Geronimo returned to daily radio as the morning
    host of “Washington’s Classic Rock,” iHeart Media’s WBIG (Big 100). (The
    first song was Alice Cooper’s “No More Mr. Nice Guy.”) We took a First Listen.

I’ve never written about somebody on their first day before. But I wanted
    to hear Geronimo again and wanted to share it. So it’s important to state that this is a recap, not a review—a description that would fit most of our First Listens anyway. But on the first morning, you could hear every aspect
    of Geronimo’s career here, including that over-the-intros night jock
    element that doesn’t always follow a radio person as their career takes
    them to talk radio or Classic Rock mornings. But WBIG itself evolved from Oldies and controlled both positions in the market until Classic Hits WIAD
    (the Drive) launched a few years ago.

As with all air personality First Listens, on-air bits are always easier to reproduce than on-air context. But here are some very partial highlights
    from the first two hours or so on Sept. 23. (Each hour had 5-6 songs; there were more in the 8 a.m. hour.)

6:07 – “There’s nothing better than being back in the studio doing a real radio show.” Geronimo talks about the job he did not get at an unnamed station in Sacramento, the market where he had relocated more than a decade ago. They asked for references. “I had to give them Scott Shannon’s phone number.” The next day, he resolved to move back East. Then the Big 100 opportunity came up.

6:19 – Geronimo tells listeners this won’t be a big ensemble morning show. Driving East, Geronimo says, he heard a lot of boilerplate morning shows
    and canned laugh tracks or obligingly amused co-hosts. He promises to be
    “The Office,” without the canned laughter, not “Seinfeld.” He also says he
    likes Big 100’s music. “I can sell it because I mean it.”

6:27 – Geronimo gives his first caller tickets to see Willie Nelson and Sturgill Simpson. He talks about being back on the radio near where he
    began his career at suburban WINX Rockville. “The house I used to live in
    is three miles from here.” WBIG/WWDC (DC101) PD Dustin Matthews gets his first shout-out. With DC101 morning host Elliot to monitor as well, “I want to make sure he’s listening so I can win him over to my way of doing radio.” So Geronimo plays his first “is Dustin listening” song, by going to
    his phone to play part of “Hitching A Ride” by Vanity Fare.

6:33 – Geronimo announces “Dustin’s not listening. I can do what I want.” A
    minute later, he comes back to add that Matthews had been listening, but he didnt see the hotline until after the break.

6:38 – We get the first call from a listener asking for more music and less talk. Geronimo will, he notes, be airing his calls without a screener.
    Through the next hour, he’ll run a number of those calls, including the man who tells him “don’t pack up the house yet.” Geronimo notes proudly that the caller was on hold for 15 minutes waiting to tell him that.

6:58 – The “an iHeart Radio station” legal ID runs. “I’m part of that big
    conglomerate now.” Geronimo teases an upcoming visit from CNN’s Jim Acosta. “It’s just a social call,” he emphasizes, since there’s already been one
    tweet complaining about his “political” guest.

7:05 – Acosta talks about making the transition from White House correspondent to weekend anchor. Walking out of the White House after the tumult of the last four years was like “The Shawshank Redemption,” Acosta says. “I looked up at the heavens and the rain was coming down.”

Geronimo and Acosta talk about Wolf Blitzer, about watching Ted Lasso and appreciating the show’s positivity. (Geronimo says he’s wearing his “Believe” shirt today.) Geronimo asks how Acosta handles gushing fans in the supermarket. “I’m so happy that somebody’s being nice . . . so it’s completely fine.” Acosta talks about how he grew up listening to Geronimo.
    He then cuts Geronimos first celebrity drop-in: “This is Jim Acosta and I never listen to Don Geronimo on Big 100.”

7:30 – Now the “welcome back” calls are coming in, too. A caller says he thought of Geronimo a few days ago on the 9/11 anniversary “like so many people who listened to you on that day.” “You’re going to make me cry,” Geronimo says.

7:39 – A female caller asks if she can “get the other announcers back.” She
    says, “I’ll tell the people who run the station.” He says, “Call Bob Pittman.”

7:48 – Now Geronimo is getting the defender callers. “I’ve been listening to you since 1980 when I got out of the navy,” says one. In between, there’s a caller who asks “is this the postmaster general?” It’s WBIG swing
    host Albie Dee, another veteran of WPGC (in this case, from its R&B/Hip-Hop days in the mid-‘90s). Geronimo and Albie promise to get together for
    dueling intro talk-ups at some point.

8:00 – Over Joan Jett’s “I Hate Myself For Loving You,” Geronimo talks about having scoped out all the different bathrooms in the iHeart complex.
    He recommends DC101. Two hours in, he has finally found the men’s room.

8:10 – A listener calls who heard Geronimo’s first afternoon on WAVA in the mid-‘80s. A listener calls from Houston on the iHeart app. A listener
    recalls how “you and Mike spanked me on the air for my birthday.” “That’s
    the kind of thing you don’t do on the radio in 2021,” Geronimo says.

Geronimos callers are essentially serving as his on-air team. There are
    tweets from people saying that Geronimo has brought them back to radio.
    Indeed, some of the callers dont sound like theyve called a radio station
    in a while and have trouble keeping up the volley. The good news is that
    its a lot of calls, something you cant count on in todays radio.

Through the morning, Geronimo also teases a daily podcast that will more
    fully recap his cross-country move back to D.C. I came back for the final
    break at 9:55. It’s an abbreviated version of the closing credits I
    remember. “Don Geronimo is a copyrighted feature that may not be reproduced without the express consent of Major League Baseball. Until tomorrow
    morning at zero-dark-thirty, 5:30 A.M. I thank you both for listening.” The first podcast is now posted here.

Chase Daniels Joins WSUL As PD/Afternoon Host

Posted: 24 Sep 2021 11:20 AM PDT https://radioinsight.com/headlines/213270/chase-daniels-joins-wsul-as-pd-afternoon-host/

Bold Gold Media Group Hot AC 98.3 WSUL Monticello NY has appointed Chase Daniels as Program Director and afternoon host.

Daniels most recently served as Program Director of iHeartMedia Country
    107.3 WRWD Poughkeepsie from 2018 to December 2020 adding programming of
    CHR “96.1 Kiss-FM” WPKF and Classic Rock “Z93” WBWZ in January for his final year there.

Daniels states, Im kicking off my venture with some behind the scenes work
    and will be starting on air mid next month. Im thrilled to become part of
    the Bold Gold Family and work for a group that is all about immersing its stations in the community.

Bold Gold New York General Manager Dawn Ciorciari writes, “We are so
    excited to welcome Chase to the Bold Gold Media Group Family. His
    experience and skills will surely enhance the community programming that we offer in Sullivan and the Catskills in the New York Market.”

Hits 97.3 Relaunches As Rhythm Of Miami

Posted: 24 Sep 2021 09:05 AM PDT https://radioinsight.com/headlines/213248/hits-97-3-miami-stunting-ahead-of-noon-flip/

Following the major staff cuts at Cox Media Group yesterday, one of the companys stations is on its way to a new format.

After stunting for six hours with a loop of five songs with Rhythm in the title, Cox Media Group flipped CHR Hits 97.3 WFLC Miami to Rhythmic Hot AC keeping the Hits name and now positioning as The Rhythm of Miami.

Relaunching with 5000 songs commercial free, the new format debuted with DJ Sammy Yanou Heaven, Marshmello/Jonas Brothers Leave Before You Love Me,
    Mary J. Blige Real Love, Harry Styles Golden, and Lana Del Rey x Cedric
    Gervias Summertime Sadness (Remix)

WFLC was one of three CHRs in Miami, registering a 2.6 share in the August
    2021 Nielsen Audio ratings. That trailed iHeartMedias Y100 WHYIs 3.8 share,
    but was ahead of Audacys Power 96 WPOW-FMs 2.0.

US 104.9 Is Signed Through The Quad Cities

Posted: 24 Sep 2021 08:18 AM PDT https://radioinsight.com/headlines/213254/us-104-9-is-signed-through-the-quad-cities/

Townsquare Media flipped Classic Hits 104.9 KIIK-FM De Witt/Quad Cities IA
    to Country US 104.9 at 10am today.

The new brand launched with 5000 songs commercial free with core artists
    listed as Luke Bryan, Luke Combs, Miranda Lambert, Kenny Chesney, Eric
    Church, and Carrie Underwood. After a deke with Garth Brooks The River
    followed by God Bless America, the station launched with Luke Bryan When It Rains It Pours, Little Big Town Boondocks, Thomas Rhett Whats Your Country Song, Tim McGraw Something Like That, and Darius Rucker Beers Sunshine.

Once again targeting iHeartMedias market leading 103.7 WLLR, the move marks
    the fourth time since the turn of the century that 104.9 has flipped to Country. It assumed the then KBOB calls and format from 99.7 in March 2000 before flipping to Classic Country the following year. It moved back to
    Country as 104.9 The River in 2005 which lasted until 2007 before trying
    again as 104.9 The Hawk from 2014 to 2016.

KIIK-FM ranked ninth in the market with a 3.1 share in the Spring 2021
    ratings, while WLLR held a 16.0 share. The move was first indicated in our
    9/9 Domain Insight report.

On Friday, September 24, Townsquare Media Inc. launched a New Country
    station for the Quad Cities. US 104.9, the Quad Cities #1 for New Country,
    made its debut for Iowa and Illinois today. US 104.9 is part of the
    Townsquare Media Quad Cities group of stations that includes the Marconi nominated 97X, B100, I-Rock 93.5, and ESPN 1170 AM.

US 104.9 knows that Country Music is the best kind of music and US 104.9 is giving the Quad Cities what they want when it comes to Country Music, a new choice. US 104.9 is giving the listeners the new country music they deserve without 10 minute long commercial breaks.

America is the greatest country on the planet and US 104.9 believes that to
    its core. When they say they love our country, they are talking about more
    than just the music. US 104.9 commits to entertaining, informing, and
    engaging with its listeners to make the Quad Cities community stronger.

With its launch, US 104.9 is rolling commercial-free with 5,000 songs in a
    row! US 104.9 is playing the New Country the Quad Cities wants to hear from artists like Luke Bryan, Luke Combs, Miranda Lambert, Kenny Chesney, Eric Church, Carrie Underwood and so many more.

“The Quad Cities loves country music. And listeners want something new on the radio so we’re going to have some fun!”, said Townsquare Media Quad Cities Market President Becky Riojas. “We’ll play much more music and we have lots of ways for fans to connect to their favorite artists on the air
    at 104.9FM, online at US1049QuadCities.com, and with the US 104.9 app.”

A Wild Launch In Alabama

Posted: 24 Sep 2021 07:15 AM PDT https://radioinsight.com/headlines/212834/wiez-stunting-with-wild-thing/

After stunting first with The Troggs Wild Thing and later Tone Locs Wild
    Thing, 1490 WIEZ/94.7 W234DN Decatur AL has flipped to Rhythmic Wild 94.7.

The flip comes as the station comes under the operation of Michael Brandts Southern Broadcasting via LMA. Brandt operates Soft AC Easy 105.3 1450 WTKI/105.3 W287DH in the adjacent Huntsville area as well as stations in Florence AL and Corinth MS.

Original Report 9/13: MKRadio1 Oldies 1490 WIEZ/94.7 W234DN Decatur AL has entered a stunt mode ahead of a format change.

After playing the Beatles Abbey Road album in its entirety, WIEZ began
    stunting at 9:47 this morning with a loop of The Troggs Wild Thing as a new
    LMA of the station took effect.

The former Oldies format will continue streaming at WIEZRadio.com.

Dallas Mavericks Make Move To KEGL Official

Posted: 24 Sep 2021 05:20 AM PDT https://radioinsight.com/headlines/212035/reports-dallas-mavericks-to-move-to-kegl/

One month after it was expected to be announced, iHeartMedia Rock/Hot Talk
    97.1 The Eagle KEGL has finalized its new deal to become the new flagship station for the NBAs Dallas Mavericks.

KEGL will carry all Mavericks games with 30 minutes of pre and post-game coverage each. Chuck Cooperstein remains as play-by-play voice as will
    studio host Mike Peasley. Brad Davis, who had served as game analyst as
    well as Mavericks Player Development Coach, was not mentioned in the announcement. KEGL and other iHeartMedia Dallas stations will also feature regular interviews with players, coaches, and owner Mark Cuban.

ESPN Inc.s ESPN 103.3 KESN Allen/Dallas TX had carried the Mavericks for
    the past 20 seasons.

iHeartMedia Dallas announced today a new comprehensive multi-platform
    broadcast agreement with The Dallas Mavericks. Beginning today, 97.1 The
    Eagle (KEGL) will become the official flagship station for all Dallas
    Mavericks games. Under the new broadcast agreement, Dallas Mavericks
    basketball will also be available via live stream on iHeartRadio.com and
    the app.

Each game will include 30 minutes of pre-game coverage prior to the tipoff
    and a minimum of 30 minutes of post-game coverage. In addition,
    play-by-play announcer Chuck Cooperstein will return for his 17th season
    with the team, as well as studio host Mike Peasley. The station will also
    air a variety of shows and features, including interviews with players, coaches, and Mavericks Owner Mark Cuban on KEGL-FM as well as on other properties of iHeartMedia Dallas/Fort Worth.

The Dallas Mavericks’ 2021-22 regular season will begin on October 21. All
    82 regular season games, will be broadcast on 97.1 The Eagle and on the iHeartRadio app, including four preseason games against the Utah Jazz
    (October 6), LA Clippers (October 8), Charlotte Hornets (October 13), and Milwaukee Bucks (October 15. For a complete game schedule, listeners can
    visit the station’s website.

“The Eagle and IHeartMedia are a great fit for the Mavs,” said Mark Cuban, Governor of the Dallas Mavericks, speaking to Ben Skin this afternoon. “It’s new exposure for the Mavs, the signal is great and we have an opportunity to reach more listeners and non-traditional fans, people who
    maybe haven’t been Mavs fans or listened to games. And it’s still the great Chuck Cooperstein! The attitude and approach by the Eagle was what
    sold it for me: this is entertainment and that’s what it’s all about. GO MAVS!”

“Sports fans across the country are looking forward to a full season of basketball once again,” said Kevin LeGrett, President of iHeartMedia
    Sports. “We are excited to be partnering with one of basketball’s most exciting teams, the Dallas Mavericks, and look forward to bringing all the coverage the Mavs fans want throughout this legendary season.”

“The entire team at iHeartMedia is excited to be the new home for the
    Dallas Mavericks, especially at such an exciting time for the team,” said Kelly Kibler, Region President for iHeartMedia Dallas/Ft. Worth. “ We look forward to having The Dallas Mavericks as our exclusive franchise partner
    and to grow our brands even further in Dallas/Fort Worth.”

Original Report 8/23: Multiple reports indicate that the NBAs Dallas
    Mavericks will depart ESPN Inc.s ESPN 103.3 KESN Allen/Dallas TX after
    twenty seasons to move their game broadcasts to iHeartMedia Rock/Hot Talk
    97.1 The Eagle KEGL for the upcoming season.

The Dallas Morning News reports that the move will be announced in the
    coming days, with Sports Illustrated adding that while the Mavericks
    current contract with ESPN ran through 2023, owner Mark Cuban exercised an
    out clause in the contract triggered by the end of the LMA of KESN by
    Cumulus Media in October 2020 leading to the end of all local programming
    on the stations outside of the Mavericks broadcasts.

Station Sales Week Of 9/24

Posted: 24 Sep 2021 04:30 AM PDT https://radioinsight.com/headlines/213228/station-sales-week-of-9-24/

After the Seneca Nation suspended operations of Classic Hits 105.9 WGWE
    Little Valley NY in March, it has now found a buyer as Paul Izard Communications has purchased WGWE for $25,000. Izard operates webcaster
    Energy Radio Buffalo.

Bonnie Chambers sells 1500 KBRN/103.9 K280GR Boerne TX to Bofars Media
    Group for $236,700. Bofars began operating KBRN via LMA in October 2020
    upon which they relaunched the station as Full Service Oldies Boerne Radio.

Benne Broadcasting of the Ozarks acquires AC Sunny 104.5 KUMR Doolittle MO
    from Alma Corporation for $50,000. Benne also took over operation of KUMR
    from Mid-Missouri Media via LMA in late August.

Greg Wennes has sold his 68% stake in Wennes Communications Stations for a total of $2.5 million. Les Askelson will increase his stake from 25% to 69%
    to become controlling owner. Casey Varpness will increase from 5% to 15%.
    Peter Wennes increases from 2% to 12%. Patrick OShea and Ryan Tyler will
    each purchase 2% shares in the company. Wennes Communications Stations owns Rock 100.5 Hawk Rawk KDHK Decorah IA, Country 103.5 KNEI-FM Waukon IA,
    Classic Hits 104.7 KVIK Decorah, Oldies The River 1240 KDEC/94.9 K235CT
    Decorah and 99.1 K256CS Waukon/KDHK-HD2.
    Translator Sales

Thomas McGill acquires 97.1 K246AA Prescott and 104.1 K281BE Flagstaff AZ
    from Prescott Sound Investments for $5000.

Katie Hoyt Rises To iHeartMedia Salisbury Market President

Posted: 23 Sep 2021 02:42 PM PDT https://radioinsight.com/headlines/213219/katie-hoyt-rises-to-iheartmedia-salisbury-market-president/

iHeartMedia has promoted Katie Hoyt from SVP/Sales to Market President of
    its Salisbury/Ocean City MD cluster.

Hoyt will continue to serve under iHeartMedia Pennsylvania Area President
    Brit Goldstein, who previously was Market President for Wilmington DE and Salisbury until being promoted in January 2020. Prior to joining
    iHearMedia, Hoyt was Regional Digital Sales Manager for MediaOnePA.

iHeartMedia announced today that Katie Hoyt has been named Market President
    for Salisbury, effective immediately. iHeartMedia Salisbury has a strong cross-platform presence and includes a number of iconic brands and
    franchises — both broadcast and digital — encompassing more than six stations comprised of music, talk and news formats.

iHeartMedia has the leading consumer reach and influence across multiple platforms and delivers more live programming than any other media company.
    As Market President, Hoyt will be responsible for overseeing the market’s programming, business and sales teams and she will report to Brit
    Goldstein, Area President for iHeartMedia Pennsylvania.

“Katie has done an incomparable job inspiring and leading the Salisbury
    sales team,” said Goldstein. “This elevation is much deserved, and I look forward to partnering with Katie and the market team in achieving even
    greater accomplishments.”

Hoyt most recently served as the Senior Vice President of Sales for the Salisbury market. In addition, she also served as the Regional Digital
    Sales Manager for MediaOnePA (Gannett/USA Today) and The Hanover/York Sales Manager for MediaOnePA (Gannett/USA Today Network), where she began her
    media career. She is a graduate of Millersville University.

“I’m excited for what the future has in store for the Salisbury and the Eastern Shore markets,” said Hoyt. “I also want to give kudos to my staff and most importantly my mentors along the way who have helped me get where
    I am today.”

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)