• [RadioInsight] Liz Mantel Joins The Wolf Buffalo

From RadioInsight via rec.radio.broadcas@21:1/5 to All on Sun Sep 5 17:35:46 2021
    XPost: rec.radio.info

RadioInsight

///////////////////////////////////////////
    Liz Mantel Joins The Wolf Buffalo

Posted: 05 Sep 2021 12:00 PM PDT https://radioinsight.com/headlines/212471/liz-mantel-joins-the-wolf-buffalo/

Audacy Country 107.7/104.7 The Wolf WLKK Wethersfield Township/W284AP
    Buffalo NY has begun staffing up with the addition of Liz Mantel as morning host.

Mantel previously co-hosted mornings at Townsquare Media Country at 106.5
    WYRK Buffalo from May 2013 to January 2019. She has previously worked at WCKY-FM Findlay OH, WFGF Lima OH, KOMG/KOSP Springfield MO, and WQAL/WDOK Cleveland.

WLKK flipped to Country at the end of June.

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Liz Mantel (@liz_mantel)

FCC Report 9/5

Posted: 05 Sep 2021 10:10 AM PDT https://radioinsight.com/headlines/212474/fcc-report-9-5/

FCC Actions

Kathadin Communications 102.5 W273DJ Millinocket ME has been issued a
    Notice of Apparent Liability For Forfeiture proposing a $3500 fine for
    failing to timely file a license to cover application and operating the translator following the expiration of its Construction Permit. W273DJs CP
    was set to expire on January 8, 2021 but its license application was not
    filed until April 5. After the FCC denied the original application, a
    Petition For Reconsideration showing proof the translator was built on time
    was filed and granted by the FCC. W273DJ rebroadcasts Sports 1240 WSYY Millinocket.

Radio Companion LLCs 1420 WKCW Warrenton VA has entered into a Consent
    Decree for failing to maintain its online public file.
    Deletions

The FCC has rejected Christyahna Broadcastings request to toll the CP for
    1400 KJUX Lemon Grove/San Diego CA and considering the CP to be expired unbuilt. Christyahna sought an extension on the basis that it was unable to build or sell the CP due to the COVID-19 pandemic being unable to muster
    funds to build or to meet with local officials or prospective buyers
    because of fears of infection. The FCC rejected those arguments stating
    that radio stations are essential services and are not subject to
    state-imposed COVID-19 restrictions and workarounds could have been done to accomplish required business and lack of funds is not a basis for tolling
    as that is a business decision within the permittees control. The station
    could have received more time had it provided evidence of how specific
    steps (such as supply chain issues, invoices demonstrating expenditures or leases) were being blocked due to the pandemic but offered no such proof.

New Life Studios surrendered the license of 1260 WCLC Jamestown TN. The
    station had been silent since its transmission equipment failed in March
    2020 and as such was already beyond the 365 days silent permitted by the
    FCC prior to a license being deemed expired.

After the FCC inquired to its operating status and received no response,
    the agency has deemed the license of JKC Media Ventures 1230 WODI Brookneal
    VA as expired due to being silent since at least December 2019.

After it requested its license cancelled earlier in August, Portsmouth
    Abbey Schools 90.7 WJHD Portsmouth RI has rescinded its request and its
    license has been restored.
    FM Changes

Following the destruction of its tower from Hurricane Ida, iHeartMedia has applied for an STA to operate Variety Hits 104.1 The Spot KVDU Houma LA
    from the auxiliary antenna of 98.5 WYLD-FM with 850w/181m while it
    determines how it will replace its current tower.

Backyard Broadcasting of Pennsylvania Country 105.1 WILQ Williamsport PA applies to relocate to a different tower on Bald Eagle Mountain
    This content is for Premium Annual and Premium Monthly members only. Visit
    the site and log in/register to read.

Ross On Radios Stories of Summer 2021

Posted: 05 Sep 2021 08:00 AM PDT https://radioinsight.com/ross/212278/ross-on-radios-stories-of-summer-2021/

The Song of the Summer is often the song most associated with summer
    travel, but if you were fortunate enough to go anywhere this summer, you
    may have missed one of the Ross on Radio “Stories of Summer 2021.” Since each week’s Ross On Radio newsletter is featuring more new content, and
    fewer reruns, here’s a countdown of the top five ROR stories on Radioinsight.com, in case you were away that particular week or missed one.

5 – First Listen, Z100’s Maxwell & Crystal – Most broadcasters were forced
    to consolidate, or consolidate further, over the last 18 months. iHeart
    Media made some strategic personnel additions, including a new afternoon
    show at WHTZ (Z100) New York. At a listener’s request, we took a First Listen.

4 – Close to The Edit: Pop Radio and Redacted Lyrics – As radio grapples to compete with streaming, there’s another disadvantage besides spot-load. Satellite radio and streaming can play the original versions of songs,
    while radio is stuck with edits that often render a song’s intent incomprehensible, unless you already know what the lyrics are. Often,
    there’s little consistency between what one song leaves and what another chooses to bleep. So why is Justin Bieber going to California?

3 – Why I Believe in Radio: 2021 – “The author is in complete denial about
    the radio business.” That’s what one ex-broadcaster tweeted in response to two stories I wrote this summer (see below) about the state of radio. I
    like to think I’m clear-eyed about it. Listeners will always want what
    radio does. The only question is who they’ll get it from. This column was
    the successor to 2020’s popular “Six Things I Need to Tell You.”

2 – What Difference Do Jocks Make? This was actually two different stories, both prompted by a Spotify user in Germany who had created dynamic
    playlists that re-created some of the worlds great radio stations in real
    time. So I took a listen to some of those stations to analyze their jock content and ask, “I Missed the Jock Break: What Did I Miss?” Then I asked if offering a jockless version of their own stations would be “A Magic
    Button for Radio.”

1 – When Rock Ruled the World: A 40-Year Timeline – There were a lot of fortieth anniversary retrospectives of MTV, but nothing about the radio and music landscape of 1981, a time when Top 40 had almost dissolved entirely, while pop/rock music ruled the airwaves. We looked at the state of rock
    radio at ten-year intervals, and whether the time is right for rock music
    to return to the pop mainstream.

If you’ve enjoyed the “Lost Factor” series on which songs have endured over
    the years, and which are disproportionately ignored by radio now, all those articles can be found here. Most recently, we looked at the “Lost Hits of 1999,” our most recent year so far. There’s more “Lost Factor” to come, including our calculations of 1960-99, and more thoughts on why certain hit songs didn’t endure.

Thanks, as always, for your support of Ross On Radio. I’m always looking to hear what’s concerning you, or making you happy, about the industry and its infinite dial. I can always be reached at sean@rossonradio.com

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)