• [RadioInsight] WVXU Drops Remaining Music Programs From Its Public News

From RadioInsight via rec.radio.broadcas@21:1/5 to All on Tue Aug 10 16:57:57 2021
    XPost: rec.radio.info

RadioInsight

///////////////////////////////////////////
    WVXU Drops Remaining Music Programs From Its Public News/Talk Lineup

Posted: 10 Aug 2021 01:55 PM PDT https://radioinsight.com/headlines/211566/wvxu-drops-remaining-music-programs-from-its-public-news-talk-lineup/

Cincinnati Public Radios Public News/Talk 91.7 WVXU Cincinnati/88.5 WMUB
    Oxford OH has announced it will remove all of its music programming from
    its lineup starting this upcoming weekend.

The lineup change is timed with the end of NPRs Ask Me Another with Ophira Eisenberg and the retirement of local host Bill Cartwright whose Swing with Bill Cartwright aired on the station since 1996. The station is dropping
    John Dilibertos syndicated Echoes from the weekday lineup where it
    currently airs from 10pm to 12am and the locally-produced Jazz with O.T.,
    which will continue to be heard on 90.9 WGUC-HD2 from 10pm-12am on Fridays.

In the last few years, theres been an explosion of exciting new radio shows
    and podcasts focused on news, politics, current events, arts and culture, science, and storytelling. With an ear to bringing a wider diversity of
    voices to the Cincinnati airwaves and solidifying 91.7 WVXU as the full
    time news/talk/information station serving our community, Cincinnati Public Radio has made the decision to stop airing shows which are based on musical recordings.

The new schedule takes effect Saturday, August 14, with new programs such
    as Cultivating Place, A Way with Words and Code Switch and Life Kit.

After 16 years of operating WVXU, it was time for us to make a complete commitment to bringing our listeners the best news, talk, analysis, and engaging public radio programming available, said Jenell Walton, Cincinnati Public Radio Vice President of Content. By expanding the number of shows
    from member stations and media partners that we make available to our listeners, were able to connect to more people in the community and
    increase the number of people who will find something here thats for them,
    said Walton

SATURDAY CHANGES (beginning Saturday, August 14)

7 a.m.: Cultivating Place (new) Subtitled Conversations on Natural History
    and the Human Impulse to Garden, this program is a voice for, with, and
    about gardeners and nature lovers of all manner around the globe, exploring
    how and why we garden what we mean when we garden. Hosted by Jennifer
    Jewell. (Replaces an encore broadcast of Cincinnati Edition.)

11 a.m.: Code Switch and Life Kit (new) These two popular NPR podcasts are
    now joined together into a one-hour program. Code Switch tackles the
    subject of race head-on, exploring how it impacts every part of society — from politics and pop culture to history, sports and everything in between. Life Kit is here to help you get it together. From sleep to saving money to parenting and more, we talk to the experts to get the best advice out
    there. (Replaces Ask Me Another, which has discontinued production.)

10 p.m.: The Arts Hour (new) Authors, musicians, actors, and more are
    featured on this hour of arts coverage from the BBC, hosted by Nikki Bedi. (Replaces Swing with Bill Cartwright, who has retired.)

11 p.m.: PRX Remix (new) An hour of stories from both independent creators
    and the PRX podcast network Radiotopia. (Replaces Paul Ingles Music Archive Showcase.)

SUNDAY CHANGES (beginning Sunday, August 15)

7 a.m.: On Being (new time) Krista Tippets Peabody Award-winning program
    that asks the big questions about life now helps listeners start their
    Sunday mornings. Each week a new discovery about the immensity of our
    lives. (Replaces a Cincinnati Edition encore broadcast.)

10 a.m.: Wait, Wait… Dont Tell Me (new time) The Sunday rebroadcast of the popular NPR quiz now follows the news and puzzle on Weekend Edition Sunday. (Replaces The New Yorker Radio Hour, now at noon on Sundays.)

11 a.m.: A Way with Words (new) An upbeat and lively hour about language examined through history, culture, and family. Callers discuss slang, old sayings, new words, grammar, word origins, regional dialects, family expressions, and speaking and writing well. They settle disputes, play word quizzes, and discuss language news and controversies. (Replaces On the
    Media, now Sundays at 7 p.m.)

Noon: The New Yorker Radio Hour (new time) The audio version of one of
    Americas favorite magazines moves to noon for your lunchtime listening. (Replaces Freakonomics, now at 4 p.m. Sundays.)

1 p.m.: Christopher Kimballs Milk Street Radio (new) Recognizable from
    Americas Test Kitchen, Christopher Kimballs Milk Street Radio goes anywhere
    and everywhere to ask questions and get answers about cooking, food,
    culture, wine, farming, restaurants, literature, and the lives and cultures
    of the people who grow, produce, and create the food we eat. (Replaces The Splendid Table, now at 2 p.m. Sundays.)

2 p.m.: The Splendid Table (new time) Intimate conversations about food and
    its ability to connect people and lives. (Replaces Travel with Rick Steves,
    now at 3 p.m. Sundays)

3 p.m.: Travel with Rick Steves (new time) Public medias travel guru takes listeners on fascinating visits to some of Europes best and least-known getaways. (Replaces rebroadcast of Wait, Wait… Dont Tell Me, now at 10 a.m. Sundays.)

4 p.m.: Freakonomics (new time) Each week, Freakonomics Radio tells you
    things you always thought you knew (but didnt) and things you never thought
    you wanted to know (but do) —from the economics of sleep to how to become great at just about anything. (Replaces This American Life rebroadcast, now
    at 9 p.m. Sunday.)

6 p.m.: Snap Judgment (new time) Glynn Washingtons hour mixes real stories
    with killer beats to produce a raw, musical brand of storytelling that
    dares listeners to see the world through the eyes of another. (Replaces On Being, now at 7 a.m. Sundays.)

7 p.m.: On the Media (new time) NPRs long-running look at news coverage and journalism. (Replaces Fresh Air Weekend.)

9 p.m.: Reveal (rebroadcast) The Peabody Award-winning investigative
    journalism program from The Center for Investigative Journalism and PRX. (Replaces Snap Judgment, now airing Sundays at 6 p.m.)

10 p.m.: This American Life (new time – rebroadcast from Saturdays at 1
    p.m.) Ira Glasss award-winning storytelling style takes a theme and puts together different stories on that theme. (Replaces hour 1 of Jazz with OT.)

11 p.m.: PRX Remix (new) An hour of stories from both independent creators
    and the PRX podcast network Radiotopia. (Replaces hour 2 of Jazz with OT.)

WEEKDAY CHANGES (beginning Monday, August 16)

9 a.m.: The Takeaway (returning) A fresh alternative in daily news
    featuring critical conversations, live reports from the field, and listener participation. The Takeaway, with interim host Melissa Harris-Perry,
    provides a breadth and depth of world, national and regional news coverage. (Replaces the 5th hour of Morning Edition.)

3 p.m.: BBC Newshour (new) Providing an international look at world news in
    the middle of the day. (Replaces the 2nd hour of Here Now Monday-Thursday; Science Friday airs on Friday.)

WEEKNIGHT CHANGES (beginning Monday, August 16)

7 p.m.: Asian View (new) Asian View is a five-minute news segment broadcast
    by NHK WORLD-JAPAN. It features the latest news and deep analysis from
    Japan and the rest of Asia.

7:06 p.m.: The World (new time) Public radios long-running magazine program with an emphasis on international news. (Replaces the 4th hour of All
    Things Considered. Reveal airs in this time slot on Fridays.)

8 p.m.: Cincinnati Edition Encore (new time) WVXUs daily talk show with
    host Michael Monks talking about the issues, newsmakers, and thought
    leaders here at home. (Replaces The World, now weeknights at 7 p.m.)

9 p.m.: q (returning) Tom Powers hosts this arts and culture magazine
    program from the CBC. (Replaces Cincinnati Edition Encore, now weeknights
    at 8 p.m.)

10 p.m.: Rebroadcasts of: Code Switch and Life Kit (Mondays), A Way with
    Words (Tuesdays), Cultivating Place (Wednesdays), Snap Judgment
    (Thursdays), The Arts Hour (Fridays). (Replaces hour 1 of Echoes.)

11 p.m.: Rebroadcasts of Latino USA (Mondays), Freakonomics (Tuesdays),
    Milk Street Radio (Wednesdays), and The Moth Radio Hour (Thursdays).
    (Replaces hour 2 of Echoes.)

Fridays at 11 p.m.: PRX Remix Select, a curated hour of stories from independent providers and the PRX podcast network Radiotopia. (Replaces
    hour 2 of Echoes.)

First Listen: Z100s Maxwell & Crystal

Posted: 10 Aug 2021 10:00 AM PDT https://radioinsight.com/ross/211412/first-listen-z100s-maxwell-crystal/

When WHTZ (Z100) New York launched in August 1983, it was one of the
    stations that confirmed Top 40’s comeback. In the late ‘80s/early ‘90s, it
    impacted the format in a different, less discussed way—cutting jock breaks
    to about four an hour and relying more heavily on imaging. 

So it was significant that at a challenging time for the format, Z100 made
    the decision to go to a team show in afternoons, pairing evening host
    Maxwell with KYLD (Wild 94.9) San Francisco’s Crystal Rosas, beginning in early June. Doing so, Radioinsight’s Lance Venta noted, was a tacit acknowledgement of personality as radio’s last line of defense, as well as the need for new franchises in a format dominated by veteran morning shows.
    Now there were seven jock breaks in afternoons, roughly evenly divided
    between station business and topical bits.

At least one Ross On Radio reader noticed. “I really hope you’ll write a column on Z100 soon,” wrote CNN writer/producer Jeff Durso. “I think it’s fascinating what they’re doing in afternoons with Maxwell & Crystal. I’m really enjoying their show so far and it definitely makes me stick around
    and listen to Z100 for a longer period of time than I would have done previously.”

In June, Z100 was up 4.1 – 4.6 6-plus, up from a 3.6 share six months earlier. CHR rebounds have to be viewed in context—the format was already considered challenged before its pandemic-era free-fall—but it’s one of a number of gratifying stories for Top 40 in both PPM and recently released spring diary markets. Here’s a First Listen to Maxwell & Crystal and a
    Fresh Listen to Z100:

Kid Laroi w/Miley Cyrus, “Without You”— coming out of it, the pair tease the next day’s rooftop broadcast from Versus, followed by a promo for the iHeart Radio Music Festival in Las Vegas and the stopset. Out of the
    stopset is Z100’s famous “serving the universe” ID with a teaser for one of
    the upcoming hour’s topics—“do you have a meaningless job?”

Ariana Grande, “pov”— the duo do a bit about Barak Obama’s birthday party
    and joke about their invitation getting lost. Then they call a friend to
    and mangle singing “Happy Birthday.” Much of this is over a long custom intro to…

Justin Bieber, “Peaches”— followed by a whisper jingle into…

Duncan Laurence, “Arcade”— the duo talk about being excited to see Olivia Rodrigo on the daytime stage at the iHeart Music Festival and tease your
    chance to win a trip to the show at 5:30.

Olivia Rodrigo, “good 4 U”— followed by an “all the hits sweeper.”

Lizzo, “Good As Hell”— “We love our jobs” the duo notes, before launching
    into the teased bit about how 22% of all workers consider their job meaningless. There’s a caller whose job was overseeing the self-checkout
    line at a supermarket. What did she think during her shift? “Just take whatever you want.” There’s a stopset followed by a sweeper kicking off two hours commercial free.

Lil Nas X, “Montero (Call Me By Your Name”— followed by an artist sweeper/power intro into…

Doja Cat f/SZA, “Kiss Me More”— leads into a break about the recent news that Forbes had declared Rihanna a billionaire.

Dua Lipa, “Love Again”— followed by a sweeper promoting the commercial-free
    bloc.

Post Malone, “Wow”— Maxwell talks about being in Chicago for Lollapalooza,
    but not being comfortable wading into a massive crowd for Malone’s set.
    They tease the Versus event again.

Ariana Grande, “Positions” – Another sweeper for the non-stop two hours.

Machine Gun Kelly & Blackbear, “My Ex’s Best Friend,” followed by a listener drop-in sweeper.

Olivia Rodrigo, “Déjà vu”— The daily “Petty Crown” award goes to the
    McDonald’s that sent an elaborately wrapped package to the listener who ordered only one sauce through a delivery service” into Ed Sheeran, “Bad Habits.”

Brenda Franco Joins JVC Media As Fort Walton Beach GM

Posted: 10 Aug 2021 07:39 AM PDT https://radioinsight.com/headlines/211539/brenda-franco-joins-jvc-media-as-fort-walton-beach-gm/

JVC Media has appointed Brenda Franco as General Manager of its four
    stations in Fort Walton Beach FL.

Franco joins JVC after spending the past two decades as Key Account Manager
    and Senior Marketing Consultant for Cumulus Medias stations in the
    Destin/Fort Walton Beach market.

JVC Media of Florida, one of America’s largest independent and locally
    owned broadcast and entertainment companies, continues to staff the company with radio pros and industry veterans. JVC announces the addition of
    Brenda Franco to its Fort Walton Beach cluster. Brenda is a 35+ year broadcasting industry veteran with 21 years of experience in the Fort
    Walton Beach/Destin market where she served as Cumulus Radio’s Key Account Manager and Senior Marketing Consultant. Brenda will serve as General
    Manager overseeing JVC’s WECQ Q92 (CHR), WHWY Highway 98.1 Country, WWAV 102.1 The Wave (Classic Hits), and the new WZLB Florida Man Radio 103.1 (Entertainment Talk).

“JVC’s commitment to the Emerald Coast and all of our markets is to grow our culture of great LOCAL radio for our listeners and clients,” JVC Executive Shane Reeve says. “The addition of Brenda as our General Manager for JVC Fort Walton Beach is a win for everyone in the market. Brenda’s success in sales management up and down the Emerald Coast is due to her incredible knowledge and passion for her clients, listeners, and the
    industry. I was always so impressed with Brenda during my earlier tenure
    in Fort Walton Beach and I am thrilled to have someone of her caliber on
    board with the JVC family.”

When asked about her move to JVC and the new General Manager
    responsibilities, Brenda replied, “When the opportunity to team up with a company like JVC that believes in focusing on LOCAL radio – being involved with the community and truly looking after the needs of clients and
    listeners, I knew JVC was where I wanted to be. Thanks to Shane Reeve and (CEO) John Caracciolo for giving me the opportunity to work with such
    talented people and lead the Fort Walton Beach cluster as it continues to evolve. There are GREAT things ahead on the Emerald Coast as we focus on making a difference in our community, delivering great products to our listeners, and partnering to overdeliver to our clients.”

JVC’s CEO John Caracciolo added, “I’m excited Brenda is joining the JVC team! It is going to be fun to watch her lend her incredible talent and reputation within the community to our brands and staff. She’s a natural
    to continue our culture of FUN and LOCAL radio that works for the
    community, clients, and our loyal listeners!”.

Brenda will start with the JVC team in September. To reach her, email at bfranco@jvcbroadcasting.com

Dee Daniels To Depart WBQB Morning Show

Posted: 10 Aug 2021 07:00 AM PDT https://radioinsight.com/headlines/211536/dee-daniels-to-depart-wbqb-morning-show/

Centennial Broadcasting Hot AC B101.5 WBQB Fredericksburg VA morning host
    Dee Daniels will depart on Friday, August 13 after thirteen years at the station.

Daniels originally co-hosted mornings with former OM Chris Carmichael until
    the arrival of Chris Centore in 2009. She has led the morning show as Dee
    In The Morning since Centores departure in 2015. She intends to relocate to Savannah GA for a job outside of radio.

Current co-hosts Ted Schubel, Robert Workman, and AJ will remain in place
    on the rebranded B101.5 Morning Show” with weekend/fill-in host Adam West
    and Operations Manager Chuck Archer alternating as host until a new host is determined.

Centennial Broadcasting II, LLC, Fredericksburg, Virginia, Hot AC WBQB
    (B101.5) “Dee In The Morning” personality Dee Daniels announces her departure from B101.5 to pursue an opportunity outside of the industry and outside of the Fredericksburg area. Her final morning show broadcast will
    be Friday, August 13.

“It is with a grateful heart that I share the news that I am stepping down
    as host of the Dee in the Morning Show to pursue a new opportunity and direction in Savannah, Georgia,” said Daniels. “It has been one of the greatest joys of my life to serve and entertain the greater Fredericksburg region with B101.5 and Centennial Broadcasting. I hope you will join me on Friday, August 13th, in celebrating 13 years of fun, laughter and amazing
    local partnerships. Thank you for letting me be a part of your community
    and your lives.”

“We couldn’t be more happy and sad at the same time,” says Mark Bass, B101.5 Market Manager. “Sad that she is leaving, but happy she is following her dreams and her heart. We thank her and wish nothing but the best for
    her future.”

In six years as the solo host of the “Dee In The Morning” show, Dee has earned her way to the top of the Fredericksburg ratings, cultivated a
    network of fans called “The Five O’clock Club (5OC)”, created and hosted several podcasts, and helped raise nearly $800,000 as anchor of the annual “B101.5 Careathon For Children’s National.”

A nationwide search is underway for the next host of the B101.5 morning
    show. “Dee In The Morning” ensemble cast members Ted Schubel, Robert Workman, and AJ will remain with Adam West and Chuck Archer sharing hosting duties until a new permanent host is in place. The morning show will be re-branded “The B101.5 Morning Show” during the transition and will continue to air weekdays 5am to 10am.

“All of the morning show elements you have come to rely on will be in place during the interim,” says Chuck Archer, B101.5 Operations Manager. “We are reaching out to our listener base, including the 5OC, to find out what qualities they feel would make for an excellent new host for the B101.5
    Morning Show. It’s their show really and we think our listeners deserve to have a voice in the process

Russ 'Whip' Rose Departs 105.9 The X

Posted: 10 Aug 2021 05:35 AM PDT https://radioinsight.com/headlines/211530/russ-whip-rose-departs-105-9-the-x/

Russ Whip Rose has announced his departure from middays at iHeartMedia Rock/Alternative 105.9 The X WXDX Pittsburgh to focus on his automotive business.

Rose had been with WXDX since shortly after its launch as 106.7 The X in
    1995 rising from overnight host to his longtime perch in middays. His
    on-air name derived from a shortening of being The Whipping Boy of the
    station in its early days.

Rose will still maintain a presence in Pittsburgh radio as he will continue
    to track nights on Classic Rock 102.5 WDVE as he has since July 2019.

Succeeding Rose in middays will be former weekend host Travis Marzina.
    Marzina will also continue in nights at Country Big 104.7 WPGB.

Hey yinz! just a heads up i chose to step back from the X to focus on my business that I am one of the owners (Autoality!) but you still have to
    listen to me on DVE every evening! Rock on, thanks for 26 great years on
    the X!

- DVERussX (@WhipontheX) August 9, 2021

Westwood One Extends NCAA Deal To Carry Sports Championships

Posted: 10 Aug 2021 05:15 AM PDT https://radioinsight.com/headlines/211527/westwood-one-extends-ncaa-deal-to-carry-sports-championships/

Westwood One has announced it has signed an extension to its deal with the
    NCAA to continue to offer broadcasts to all NCAA sanctioned championships across 90 sports including the mens and womens basketball tournaments.

Westwood One will retain all exclusive rights to broadcast radio, digital audio, distribution and licensing for all the events covered.

CUMULUS MEDIAs Westwood One (NASDAQ: CMLS), the largest audio network in
    the U.S., and the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) have
    entered into a multi-year renewal, maintaining Westwood Ones place as the official network audio broadcast partner of the NCAA for many years to
    come. Westwood One has broadcast the NCAA Mens Basketball Tournament since
    1982 and every game of NCAA March Madness® on multiple platforms since 2005.

Under the terms of the deal, Westwood One retains exclusive broadcast
    radio, digital audio, distribution, and licensing rights for all 90 NCAA Championships, including the NCAA Mens and Womens Basketball Tournaments
    and the Final Four®s.

All live coverage is available on Westwood One affiliates and streamed
    online at westwoodonesports.com and on other platforms including the NCAA mobile apps.

NCAA, Final Four, Frozen Four, and March Madness are trademarks of the
    National Collegiate Athletic Association.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)