• [WB4SON] POTA Time!

From WB4SON via rec.radio.amateur.modera@21:1/5 to All on Sat Oct 2 11:00:18 2021
    XPost: rec.radio.amateur.moderated

WB4SON

///////////////////////////////////////////
    POTA Time!

Posted: 01 Oct 2021 12:57 PM PDT
    https://wb4son.com/wpblog/?p=4533

I last did POTA Activations in March (although Ive kept hunting since
    then).  With the coming of spring, the parks started getting full of
    people, cars, electrical noise, etc.  Not something I wanted to be doing during a COVID resurgence.  However, its fall now, and people arent out and about as much, so its time to start POTA Activations again.

My first activation was at park K-0001, which is Acadia National Park up in
    Bar Harbor Maine.  My family was vacationing at a house we rented, so it
    was a perfect time to activate park #1.  We discovered that the park had
    put a $6 toll in place, with advanced reservations required to summit (3
    years ago you could just drive up anytime).  No matter, fun was had by all, and I successfully activated the park.
    Acadia National Park from Cadillac Mountain Summit my view out my car
    window.

Back in Rhode Island, the bug had taken hold.  So yesterday I headed out to two new parks (for me): K-5482, which is Wickaboxet State Forest, and
    K-6990, Nicholas Farm Wildlife Management area.  Both of these parks are in the west-central part of the state, almost in CT.  Both are nothing more
    than trees with a few trails.  Both parks were successfully activate.

My 16 AH LiFePO4 battery was used for all three activations, each of which lasted about 45 minutes and produced a couple dozen contacts.  After the
    3rd activation, I recharged the battery, and it accepted 7.6 AH.  I
    continue to feel that a 12 to 16 AH LiFePO4 battery is adequate for all but
    the most long-winded activations.  I no longer take my 30 or 60 AH battery with me, and I may shift over to a 12 AH battery at some point.
    A sign marks a small trail head at Wickaboxet State Forest
    Things were even more spartan at Nicholas Farm Wildlife Management Area. A small dirt pull-off next to a winding dirt road had a tiny State Management Area sign on it.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)