• Re: The old Morgain antenna from the 60's

From mechteacher@21:1/5 to Scott Dorsey on Tue Dec 6 15:32:41 2022
    On Wednesday, January 8, 2020 at 10:48:59 AM UTC-6, Scott Dorsey wrote:
    In article <5c9fdf4e-19d4-4705...@googlegroups.com>,
    <wa2b...@gmail.com> wrote:
    The Moregain antenna was build by a company in maryland near D.C. An old h= >am gave me an original 80/40 meter one, along with operating instructions, = >and some operating notes from the original owner. The company literature c= >alled it a Monopole configuration, not a dipole. It worked great for me un= >til Florida heat and sun disolved the plastic spreaders. It was available = >for all ham bands at the time.
    That's a weird thing... not a folded dipole, not really trapped...

It looks like the patent on it is expired and you can build one without licensing now, but I don't really see this as being an improvement over
    a fan dipole and it looks to be just as hard to tune. The description of operating principles in the patent is kind of screwy. It would be
    interesting if someone would do a proper analysis of this design:

https://patents.google.com/patent/US3229298A

--scott

--
    "C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From mechteacher@21:1/5 to Scott Dorsey on Tue Dec 6 15:47:17 2022
    On Wednesday, January 8, 2020 at 10:48:59 AM UTC-6, Scott Dorsey wrote:
    In article <5c9fdf4e-19d4-4705...@googlegroups.com>,
    <wa2b...@gmail.com> wrote:
    The Moregain antenna was build by a company in maryland near D.C. An old h= >am gave me an original 80/40 meter one, along with operating instructions, =
    and some operating notes from the original owner. The company literature c= >alled it a Monopole configuration, not a dipole. It worked great for me un= >til Florida heat and sun disolved the plastic spreaders. It was available = >for all ham bands at the time.
    That's a weird thing... not a folded dipole, not really trapped...

It looks like the patent on it is expired and you can build one without licensing now, but I don't really see this as being an improvement over
    a fan dipole and it looks to be just as hard to tune. The description of operating principles in the patent is kind of screwy. It would be interesting if someone would do a proper analysis of this design:

https://patents.google.com/patent/US3229298A

--scott

--

Scott WA2…,
    I hope this finds you in good health and fine holiday spirit.
    I am an avid antenna builder, you can see some on QRX.
    I was hoping you might have some documents on the monopole More Gain Antennas. The paten office documents do not help much.
    I have reached out to Russell KH6JRM in Hawaii to see what he may be able to help with documents.
    I plan on building one and writing about this before it is lost in time.
    Happy Holidays
    Bob K9HOU

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Scott Dorsey@21:1/5 to tsaord@netscape.net on Thu Dec 8 16:12:27 2022
    Before I had mentioned:
    https://patents.google.com/patent/US3229298A=20

mechteacher <tsaord@netscape.net> wrote:
    I was hoping you might have some documents on the monopole More Gain Antenn= >as.
    The paten office documents do not help much. =20

I think the patent is... optimistic at best and probably does not reflect
    the way the thing actually radiates. This is just a gut feeling; I don't
    have any actual measurements to verify it. But it would strike me that it would not be too hard for someone to do a proper method of moments
    analysis of the design.

I have reached out to Russell KH6JRM in Hawaii to see what he may be able t= >o help with documents. =20

I think this design has probably been lost for a good reason, but a proper analysis will tell you for sure. Obviously it was not easy to do back in
    the fifties, when scale models at high frequencies and waving fluorescent
    tubes around were really the only way to map out field strengths and radiation patterns in the near field. Today a computer simulation should be pretty
    easy to do.
    --scott
    --

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Randy Tonne@21:1/5 to Scott Dorsey on Sat Dec 24 00:12:40 2022
    On Thursday, December 8, 2022 at 11:12:29 AM UTC-5, Scott Dorsey wrote:
    Before I had mentioned:
    https://patents.google.com/patent/US3229298A=20
    mechteacher <tsa...@netscape.net> wrote:
    I was hoping you might have some documents on the monopole More Gain Antenn= >as.
    The paten office documents do not help much. =20

I think the patent is... optimistic at best and probably does not reflect
    the way the thing actually radiates. This is just a gut feeling; I don't
    have any actual measurements to verify it. But it would strike me that it would not be too hard for someone to do a proper method of moments
    analysis of the design.

I have reached out to Russell KH6JRM in Hawaii to see what he may be able t= >o help with documents. =20
    I think this design has probably been lost for a good reason, but a proper analysis will tell you for sure. Obviously it was not easy to do back in
    the fifties, when scale models at high frequencies and waving fluorescent tubes around were really the only way to map out field strengths and radiation
    patterns in the near field. Today a computer simulation should be pretty
    easy to do.
    --scott
    --

Hi Guys,

I spent about an hour looking through the patent documents. Interesting stuff. I believe that some of the illustrations and the text
    commented on 1/4 wave and 1/2 wave measurements. Multiple arrangements of radiators and different styles of center guides and
    radiator attachment.
    I would think you could come up with a workable plan on how to build an antenna that would work as the inventor intended.

I may take a stab at it myself. I need to build some kind of small package dipole to somehow mount on a houseboat that is about 58' long. Roof line in one
    direction is maybe 48 ' long. If I do something, I will try to come back and post here.

Good luck and 73!

Randy, KN4DY

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05