• Stuck slugs

From wb0poq@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Tue Oct 26 07:13:26 2021
    Hi gang,
    I have a general coverage rx from the late 1960s. It uses a number of 1/8" diameter plastic coil forms in the front end section. These forms have powered iron tuning slugs that employ a hex type tuning tool.
    Problem is that most of the slugs are frozen in the forms. I know from bitter experience that a little extra torque on the tool can sometimes break them loose, but more often that not, the cores simply break.
    Any thoughts on a safe way to loosen them up? I'm hesitant to start pouring 3 in 1 oil or some other lube into the forms as I don't know what these chemicals might do the the unknown type of plastic.
    Thoughts?

Tnx es 72
    Bob WB0POQ

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Scott Dorsey@21:1/5 to wb0...@gmail.com on Fri Oct 29 23:39:13 2021
    wb0...@gmail.com <wb0poq@gmail.com> wrote:
    Hi gang,
    I have a general coverage rx from the late 1960s. It uses a number of 1/8" diameter plastic coil forms in the front end section. These forms have powered iron tuning slugs that employ a hex type tuning tool.
    Problem is that most of the slugs are frozen in the forms. I know from bitter experience that a little extra torque on the tool can sometimes break them loose, but more often that not, the cores simply break.
    Any thoughts on a safe way to loosen them up? I'm hesitant to start pouring 3 in 1 oil or some other lube into the forms as I don't know what these chemicals might do the the unknown type of plastic.
    Thoughts?

They might just be held in with wax, in which case warming them up with a
    blow dryer will soften them right up.

They might be cemented in with lacquer, try PB Blaster first since it is not likely to do any real damage if it's something else in there.

Or it might be that the cardboard is messed up.
    --scott

--
    "C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)