• [VE9KK] RFI noise antenna issue

From VE9KK via rec.radio.amateur.moderat@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jun 20 10:56:11 2021
    XPost: rec.radio.amateur.moderated

VE9KK Blog

///////////////////////////////////////////
    RFI noise antenna issue

Posted: 20 Jun 2021 07:06 AM PDT http://ve3wdm.blogspot.com/2021/06/rfi-noise-antenna-issue.html

I have decided to give my MFJ 1026 noise canceller a call to action and combat this RFI I have been having. In the past, I did own a 1026 and used
    it with great success to remove RFI our plasma TV was giving me. With the
    MFJ 1026, you need to have what is called a noise antenna and it has to
    hear the same RFI your main antenna is hearing. When I used this device to remove the plasma TV issue I had no problem getting the noise antenna to receive the RFI loud and clear.
    This brings me to my head-scratching moment with the RFI issue I am having
    now. The first noise antenna I tried was my H-800 active antenna. I picked
    up nothing, I then placed it from vertical to horizontal without success. I then moved it around the property and still I was not able to hear the RFI.
    I then tried a long wire in the horizontal plane fairly close to my Endfed antenna and I picked up nothing. Again I moved this long wire around the property without success again.
    I do have a spare Endfed that I used for portable use and I ran some coax outside to set up the Endfed close to the main Endfed and low and behold I picked up the RFI BUT it was way too close to my main antenna. The MFJ unit (via an internal light/fuse) was indicating far too much RF was making its
    way down the noise antenna.
    The other thing I tried was the change the length of coax that feeds my
    main Endfed antenna but this made no change to the RFI issue. In July we
    are getting a new aluminum gutter installed and I may try using that as the noise antenna and see if that works. Up to this point I have not been able
    to pick up the RFI that the main antenna is picking up.....well other than almost putting a noise antenna ontop of the main antenna that as I said did
    not work out very well.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)