• [KB6NU] Operating notes: Homebrew keys, callsign fun

From KB6NU via rec.radio.amateur.moderat@21:1/5 to All on Thu Dec 2 12:24:38 2021
    XPost: rec.radio.amateur.moderated

KB6NU's Ham Radio Blog

///////////////////////////////////////////
    Operating notes: Homebrew keys, callsign fun

Posted: 01 Dec 2021 08:23 AM PST https://www.kb6nu.com/operating-notes-homebrew-keys-callsign-fun/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email

Homebrew cootie key cuts through QRN, QRM

A couple of days ago, I worked a guy who said he was using a homebrew sideswiper, or cootie, key. I looked him up on QRZ.Com, where he featured a photo of his key (see right). After seeing this photo, I tweeted:

Just worked a guy using this homebrew cootie key. It really cuts through
    the QRM and QRN.

I included the photo in the tweet.

That really caught the eye of my followers. More than two dozen have either liked or commented on it.
    Homebrew paddle uses hard disk drive bearing

Last night, I worked a fellow who also noted that he was using a home brew paddle. He said that it was similar, but not exactly like the paddle built
    by N2HO (shown at left).

The unique thing about this key is that it uses the magnet and bearing from
    a hard disk drive. I dont know if or how the magnetic tension is
    controlled, but I think the design is quite unique.
    Callsign fun

In the past week or so, Ive worked stations with fun callsigns. the first
    is AI5IN. Joes call not only spells a word, but it is palindromic, if you consider the sequence of dits and dahs.

Last night, I worked K5EMI. Bill didnt mention why he chose this particular call, and I wonder if he knew that EMI is an acronym for electromagnetic interference. I may have to email him about that.

The post Operating notes: Homebrew keys, callsign fun appeared first on
    KB6NUs Ham Radio Blog.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)