• [PE4BAS] SEGA Mega Play restoration - power supply

From PE4BAS via rec.radio.amateur.modera@21:1/5 to All on Sun Nov 14 11:05:00 2021
    XPost: rec.radio.amateur.moderated

PE4BAS Amateur Radio Weblog

///////////////////////////////////////////
    SEGA Mega Play restoration - power supply

Posted: 13 Nov 2021 01:36 PM PST https://pe4bas.blogspot.com/2021/11/sega-mega-play-restoration-power-supply.html

Decided to remove the motherboard to clean and inspect. Insert the new battery on it with emergency repair. So far I don't see any malfunctions. Besides that I could test the powersupply and hopefully the high voltage TV monitor screens without damaging the motherboard eventually.

I managed to power the powersupply through the variac. Slowly increased
    the voltage on it. So far everything went well. Checked all the voltages
    and they seem to be correct on all outputs. Can't figure out what the big transformer output is. Also I don't know what it is for exactly? Following wires is almost impossible, it is just one big spagetthi. I noticed safety switches at all the doors, this might be a trigger for supplying voltage to
    te rest of the equipment.

Anyway, I decided to measure light fitting voltages first. Fittings are there, bulbs are gone! Assuming these could be 12V car lights but could not measure any DCV on it. Could be ACV of course. Then I touched the frame
    when measuring one of the poles by accident. Everything went dark....
    I stopped for today....will have another a try tommorow.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)