• [EI7GL] FM radio station on the Azores (87.7 MHz) heard across the Atla

From EI7GL via rec.radio.amateur.moderat@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jul 10 14:54:08 2021
    XPost: rec.radio.amateur.moderated

EI7GL....A diary of amateur radio activity

///////////////////////////////////////////
    FM radio station on the Azores (87.7 MHz) heard across the Atlantic in
    Ontario, Canada - 8th July 2021

Posted: 10 Jul 2021 03:05 AM PDT https://ei7gl.blogspot.com/2021/07/fm-radio-station-on-azores-877-mhz.html

Thurs 8th July 2021: I reported recently on how a FM radio station on 88.0
    MHz in Iceland had been heard near Cape Cod on the NE coast of the USA, a distance of some 3900kms. I can now report that a FM radio station on the Azores was heard in Ontario, Canada on the same day.

At 10:39 UTC on the 8th of July, William Hepburn near Grimsby in Ontario, Canada managed to hear RTP Antena 3 on Ponta Delgada in the Azores on a frequency of 87.7 MHz.
    The distance was approximately 4,520 kms which is very close to the limit
    for double hop Sporadic-E.
    William writes... "It took some investigation, podcasts, and a mix-up with Azores vs. Portugal time zones, but I managed to confirm reception of 87.7 RTP-3 Ponta Delgada, Azores (Pico de Barrosa xmtr) here in Grimsby, ON at 6:38-6:40 p.m. EDT July 8th. Top-of-the-band skip to Newfoundland was in at
    the time."
    You can find a recording of what was heard on William's blog post HERE
    For this extraordinary catch, William was using an ICOM R-8600 with a
    CHANNEL MASTER CM-3671 antenna.

Analysis: This is yet another example that Sporadic-E regions with a high maximum usable frequency (MUF) up as far as Band 2 (88-108 MHz) can occur
    over the North Atlantic. It may be possible that at times, one of the two regions may have a MUF up as high as 144 MHz.
    It's interesting to look at the 4500 km circle and seeing how it reaches
    the Caribbean.
    Is there anyone in the Caribbean listening for FM radio stations on the
    Azores and the Canary Islands?
    Is there anyone on the Azores or the Canary Islands listening for FM radio stations in the Caribbean?
    If a FM radio station on Band 2 (88-108 MHz) can be heard then perhaps a contact on 144 MHz might be possible?Links...
    1) My Band 2 page with examples of long distance reception reports.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)