• [PE4BAS] IC-7300 - Strange SWR anomaly solution

From PE4BAS via rec.radio.amateur.modera@21:1/5 to All on Fri Oct 1 20:40:51 2021
    XPost: rec.radio.amateur.moderated

PE4BAS Amateur Radio Weblog

///////////////////////////////////////////
    IC-7300 - Strange SWR anomaly solution

Posted: 01 Oct 2021 12:51 PM PDT https://pe4bas.blogspot.com/2021/10/ic-7300-strange-swr-anomaly-solution.html

Yes, my own stupid fault. There was one comment from Gerard NL14080 who suggest I should push the tune button and see what happens. Push the tune button? I don't use the internal tuner! Do I? Look at the picture I took
    this evening testing another suggestion from DB6LL

Just take a close look at the left upper corner....yes, the tuner is on and
    I didn't notice. That's causing that strange anomaly of course.

Now a proper measurement of the vertical. It still is a bit high on 28,500
    MHz but within limits for me. The problem is that I use the 1/4 wave wire
    for 20m as well which is a 1/2 wave at 10m and probabely causing a high impedance at the feedpoint. The CG3000 doesn't tune high impedances well. A solution would be another balun, preferable 1:4 or so to transform this. Something I didn't test yet.
    I did another SWR sweep on my 4 elements 10m LFA beam.

Which of course gives a more traditional picture....
    I did a test RX on 10m FT8 this evening. The difference between the
    vertical and the 4 element LFA is astonishing. Difference receiving several stations from south america between 6 and 10dB better on the beam.
    Sometimes decoding nothing on the vertical and everything on the beam. I wouldn't like to miss the beam on 10m. But imagine the difference on other bands when I would have a proper beam for 14-28 MHz.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)