• [KB6NU] Hamvention accepting nominations

From KB6NU via rec.radio.amateur.moderat@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jan 2 03:25:07 2022
    XPost: rec.radio.amateur.moderated

KB6NU's Ham Radio Blog

///////////////////////////////////////////
    Hamvention accepting nominations

Posted: 01 Jan 2022 07:03 AM PST https://www.kb6nu.com/hamvention-accepting-nominations/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email

It appears that Hamvention 2022 is a go, and it is time to get your awards nominations in.

If you know an individual or club that deserves recognition for
    their efforts on behalf of amateur radio and want to nominate them for a 2022 Hamvention award dont delay. Nominations for the Technical Achievement, Special Achievement, Amateur of the Year and Club of the Year close Feb. 15.

The Technical Achievement Award will be given to a selected amateur radio operator who has achieved technical excellence in the world of amateur
    radio. Examples are inventions, processes, discoveries, experiments and
    other technical accomplishments or any other outstanding technical
    achievement that contributed to amateur radio.

The Special Achievement Award will be given to a deserving amateur
    that made an outstanding contribution to the advancement of the radio art and or science. This award is usually given to a respected amateur who spearheaded a single significant project.

The Amateur of the Year Award is given to a ham that has made a long-term commitment to the advancement to amateur radio. This individual will have a history of ham radio contributions and has had a dedication to service, professionalism and the advancement of the avocation of amateur radio.

The Club of the Year will be honored for clearly demonstrating their involvement in varied aspects of Amateur Radio for the greater good of their community and/or their nation.

Nomination forms, available
    at https://hamvention.org/event-details/awards/, are dedicated to the appropriate award nomination. At a minimum, each form should
    be completed with the information indicated but additional documentation is welcome. Please make sure that the nominating person is identified
    with a method to reach them in the case of questions from the nominating committee.

Forms may be submitted using the following methods: Email awards@hamvention.org; U.S. Postal Mail: Hamvention Attn: Awards Committee. Box 964, Dayton, OH 45401-0964. Thank you and please address any questions to awards@hamvention.org.

Hamvention, an official ARRL Sanctioned Event, will be held Friday-Sunday,
    May 20-22 2022 at the Greene County Fairgrounds and Expo Center.

Keep the date open on your calendar and plan to attend. This is our opportunity to see everything that is new in our great hobby, the newest products, the newest ideas and the latest from our Amateur Radio vendors. Hamvention also brings great speakers to their forum agenda, check the Hamvention web pages for full details. For more
    information www.hamvention.org

The post Hamvention accepting nominations appeared first on KB6NUs Ham
    Radio Blog.

///////////////////////////////////////////
    Operating notes: a compendium of recent interesting contacts

Posted: 30 Dec 2021 07:08 PM PST https://www.kb6nu.com/operating-notes-a-compendium-of-recent-interesting-contacts/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email

A couple of evenings ago, I had a couple of interesting contacts with
    stations running QRP. That wasnt the most interesting thing about the
    contacts, though.

The contact with Kyle, KN6KJK, was remarkable for a couple of reasons:

He was a Tech operating CW on 40m.
    He used my study guide to prepare for his Tech exam (and he thanked me for that.)
    KJK are actually his initials, and he was randomly assigned that callsign
    from the call sign pool.

My next contact was with Jerry, KI4PS. He was operating an FT-818 at 5 W.
    The reason that this contact was interesting is that Jerry cut the contact short, complaining about QRM. There was indeed a signal operating very
    close to our frequency (see screenshot at left). Im going to guess that
    that signal was about 250 Hz down from our frequency of 7028 kHz.

I didnt hear that signal at all. I had my Flex 6400 filter set to 250 Hz, meaning that the QRM was outside of the passband. Thats a real tribute to
    the Flex filtering algorithms.

Finally, I worked a guy a couple of days after Christmas who has the
    following on his QRZ.Com page:

Dont get the chinese virus vaccine it may contain ID2020 chip as immunity passport. It is part of the mark of the beast!

Seriously??

I had hoped that ham radio operators had more sense, but I guess not. My
    take on it is that even if there was an ID2020 chip, it wouldnt be
    available due to the chip shortage.

The post Operating notes: a compendium of recent interesting contacts
    appeared first on KB6NUs Ham Radio Blog.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)