• [KB6NU] Operating notes: Still getting faster, working Africa, broadcas

From KB6NU via rec.radio.amateur.moderat@21:1/5 to All on Mon Oct 25 13:48:00 2021
    XPost: rec.radio.amateur.moderated

KB6NU's Ham Radio Blog

///////////////////////////////////////////
    Operating notes: Still getting faster, working Africa, broadcaster in the 30-meter band

Posted: 24 Oct 2021 05:53 PM PDT http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/kb6nu/tVpu/~3/9cEVHE7JZ7I/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email

Still getting faster

Tonight, I had a couple of 27 wpm QSOs—one with Joe, K7JOE, and the other with Mitch, WB0GKH. These were nice contacts. Both of these operators have
    a nice fist, which made copying so fast easier. And, at 25+ wpm, a CW
    contact is almost as fast as a phone contact.

Its nice to know that I can continue to get faster as Im getting older. The key—as I always say—is getting on the air and making CW contacts.

Working DX

This last week was fruitful as far as working DX goes, in particular
    Africa. The new  country is the Kingdom of Eswatini (formerly known as Swaziland). As I often do, I avoided the pileups when they first got on the air, but managed to work them just fine a couple of weeks into the
    DXpedition.

I also managed to work 5T1GM in Mauritania, but I already had several 5T contacts in the log. The one I missed is the S9OK DXpedition, but I also
    have a couple of S9 contacts already.

3DA0RU makes 165 DXCC entities confirmed in LOTW. At this rate, I doubt Im going to make the DXCC Honor Roll anytime soon, but perhaps Ill get up to
    200 during the upcoming sunspot cycle.

WWRB QRMing the 30-meter band

A couple of weeks ago, I noticed a broadcaster on 10.100 MHz (see above).
    It was kind of weak, but I could tell that it was a religious broadcaster.
    I tried to find this broadcaster by doing an internet search, but when the search didnt come up with anything useful, I asked on Twitter. Someone mentioned that it was probably the second harmonic of WWRB, whose assigned frequency is 5.050 MHz.

Since then, Ive noticed the harmonic several times. Ive reported this interference to the ARRL Volunteer Monitor Program, but Im not sure theres
    much that they can do about this. Anyone have any suggestions? Perhaps if several of us reported this interference it would make more of an
    impression.

The post Operating notes: Still getting faster, working Africa, broadcaster
    in the 30-meter band appeared first on KB6NUs Ham Radio Blog.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)