• [WB4SON] RMS Packet Gateway WB4SON-10 Up

From WB4SON via rec.radio.amateur.modera@21:1/5 to All on Sun May 30 12:15:00 2021
    XPost: rec.radio.amateur.moderated

WB4SON

///////////////////////////////////////////
    RMS Packet Gateway WB4SON-10 Up

Posted: 29 May 2021 01:09 PM PDT
    https://wb4son.com/wpblog/?p=4406

Ive been a Winlink Express user for many years.  Up until just a few days
    ago, always on HF.  The interest in HF meshed with my believe that
    disasters are mostly either local or regional.  Sure a hurricane or winter storm can take out the internet and power in a region, but it doesnt bring everything down everywhere.  You just need to be able to hop over the
    impacted area.  HF is perfect for that, and I tested and used a Winlink Express client regularly.

For a long time, Ive been looking to try out a VHF Winlink connection, but there are very few gateways in the local area.  Yesterday my goal was accomplished when I was able to connect to N1ASA-10 on the other side of
    the bay. Being used to the slow speeds of HF and old style packet, I was
    blown away by the VHF connection speed.

Today the goal was to stand-up a RMS Packet station on my side of the bay
    using VARA-FM in the wide mode along with a Kenwood TM-D710G and Masters Communication DRA-50.

I was immediately drawn to the RMS Trimode software and figured that was
    the universal solution, but quickly discovered that was pretty much for HF use.  A process of elimination lead me to RMS Packet, which I installed.  After entering some information on myself, and discovering the checkbox to
    use VARA-FM, I was up and operating!  Honestly it took perhaps 15 minutes including the time I fumbled with RMS Trimode.

Here is my RMS Packet software running (and I now show up on the Live
    System Map for RMS):

Next step is to install the software on a dedicated miniPC and set things
    up to run 24/7 (I have a 100 Ah battery that is charged by solar, plus a
    gas generator runs for extended failures.  Even if I dont have local
    internet, I can act as a relay outside the region to HF stations that are working.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)